As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Its a shame they didn't let you unlock...
    Cal's Sith uniform from his vision

...as an alternate costume for additional playthroughs.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I'm so glad this game turned out to be great and not a half-assed attempt to hook everyone on loot boxes. Star Wars gaming, and gaming as a whole as far as single player experiences go, needed this badly.
    Loot Boxes in true single player games with zero service/online functionality wouldn't be viable, hence there are none.
    Boosts, given this game's structure and shortness, also would have been silly to include.

Well there's the AC method of single player lootboxes where you make the lootboxes the only way to get certain items in game but can acquire them (very slowly) in game. Then sell the special lootbox items for real money in a shop.

Using the lootboxes to get people to spend money when they get tired of the lootboxes not giving them what they want! A cunning strategy.

Firstly, all of Ubisoft's games are tied to Ubiplay and its special currency for getting items and have been for years (in addition to their respective in-game currencies, and real-world money conversion).
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey doesn't have loot boxes. It has boosts (aka timesavers) and shortcut itemization that was afaik, outpaced by gear you can get via gameplay. The sets being prettier or having unique appearances was the complaint people had about it? IDK. Haven't really followed AC's enthusiast sphere for a while.
    Assassin's Creed Origins had a loot box, but it was purchasable with in-game currency. But the items inside it were available in-game via exploration. It also had an a la carte shop for those same high rarity items and boosts, iirc.
    Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Assassin's Creed Syndicate both had had boosts.
    The difference being that for the above games, given their structure (branching itemization, tiered rarities, etc) and length, it was not silly to include them. Some of them also included multiplayer/social/service functionalities. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is maybe a third or less as long as those games, and has none.
    Video games exist to make money for the companies that make them. Your entertainment is secondary. There's no cunning strategy involved in that.
    edit: If anything, they could have done Inquisitor, Storm Trooper, Classic Jedi, etc skins for Cal but that's about it. There's not much to monetize in the game.
    oh, and Red and Black lightsabers.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    @Handsome Costanza : as you seem to be deeply into the disney-period lore: do black lightsabers even exist anymore?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I'm so glad this game turned out to be great and not a half-assed attempt to hook everyone on loot boxes. Star Wars gaming, and gaming as a whole as far as single player experiences go, needed this badly.
    Loot Boxes in true single player games with zero service/online functionality wouldn't be viable, hence there are none.
    Boosts, given this game's structure and shortness, also would have been silly to include.

Well there's the AC method of single player lootboxes where you make the lootboxes the only way to get certain items in game but can acquire them (very slowly) in game. Then sell the special lootbox items for real money in a shop.

Using the lootboxes to get people to spend money when they get tired of the lootboxes not giving them what they want! A cunning strategy.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey doesn't have loot boxes. It has boosts (aka timesavers) and shortcut itemization that was afaik, outpaced by gear you can get via gameplay. The sets being prettier or having unique appearances was the complaint people had about it? IDK. Haven't really followed AC's enthusiast sphere for a while.

I said it had loot boxes you could buy with in-game limited currency. And it definitely does (or did when it launched at least). A special box with a randomized piece of special loot in it. Ya know, a loot box. Special loot where the only other way you could obtain it was buying it for real money. But you could also get not special loot in those.

I'm saying this as someone who played many many hours of the game. There were loot boxes. But they swapped around the way they were implemented to still try and get people to spend money due to the loot boxes but not on the loot boxes. The cunning strategy was flipping the role of the lootbox. I say "cunning strategy" tongue in cheek. Because it is very obvious, but also very much a strategy to make money.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Oh I also have a question.

Are the lenses in the Death Star laser mechanics made of green Kyber Crystals? Because in Fallen Order they made it clear that Ilum was going to become Star Killer base and they were mining huge amounts of Kybar crystals.

And I just recently replayed the first Force Unleashed and the games Death Star level literally has you running along the firing line of one of the lasers and they all go through multiple green crystal lenses. That was really just an awesome level in its own. Each of the lasers that comes together for the Death Stars laser also has like multiple beams that converge in a giant green lens to create them for a total of 64 different lasers altogether.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    "Handsome Costanza" : as you seem to be deeply into the disney-period lore: do black lightsabers even exist anymore?

The Darksaber is still canon since it originated in Clone Wars and made an appearance in Rebels

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Viskod wrote: »
    I really wish the game even had a light gearing system with differences in effectiveness of armor and parts of the lightsaber that offered different effects, maybe a few gadgets to play with you know SOMETHING that would make opening a non-stim chest worth my time.

Yeah me too. They had helmets planned at one point as well. Ah well, that's what sequels are for.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really wish the game even had a light gearing system with differences in effectiveness of armor and parts of the lightsaber that offered different effects, maybe a few gadgets to play with you know SOMETHING that would make opening a non-stim chest worth my time.

I'm hoping this ends up being just the foundation of a engine they build off of in future sequels. Now that they've got the basics in place, hopefully they can add gearing options and other things in the next Fallen Order.

Agreed. Would love way more customization in gear and lightsaber parts that affect some kind of mechanic of the game beyond just visuals. Like armor (similar to the jedi armor from the clone wars for example) that gives you some protection but maybe slows you down some or lowers your ability to use the force? Same with more customizations to the lightsaber that have different effects (cross guard please!).

And yeah, I hope the skill tree becomes MUCH bigger, and with more specialization. I managed to unlock all but one skill in this game. My head-canon is that this is just Cal relearning everything he already knew. Now I hope they expand on it. Want to be more of a Force user who tosses folks around? Do it! Want to be a duelist and focus on that? Yes please!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Conversely I want no stats attached to visual stuff unless you can control how you look separately. Otherwise you end up looking like a clownsuit if the stats work for your playstyle.

I want something to do with excess skillpoints, I've got 10 that I built up while clearing the remaining chests etc and they are just there.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Conversely I want no stats attached to visual stuff unless you can control how you look separately. Otherwise you end up looking like a clownsuit if the stats work for your playstyle.

I want something to do with excess skillpoints, I've got 10 that I built up while clearing the remaining chests etc and they are just there.

Fallen Order isn't the biggest of games where I was swimming in extra points, but I definitely still had a few by the end that I couldn't do anything with. It'd be nice if it has a mastery skill system sort of like AC Odyssey.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Well first planet is now 100% so I imagine I now have all the abilities . Time to hunt up and down planets 2/3 to complete them before headed to the final planet and I imagine the culmination of the story.

• Options

Yeah, a transmog system is almost high on my wishlist for games. That and "disable helmets."

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm a weirdo who prefers not having transmog in many cases. Sometimes it's OK. But It makes the gear feel less like gear and more like numbers and it really takes away from my gear finding fun.

Deciding on what to equip based on looks and stats makes the decision feel more layered and I like that. I don't really like the whole "equip bigger number, copy old look" with every piece of gear that it leads to.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Outside of games where silhouette matters, I like transmog. I think in a game like this, where there is no need to convey information to others a full on transmog of gear that in theory had specific bonuses and stats would be nice.

A mixture of cosmetic slots (pants, shirt, etc.) like in the The Division games is another way to satisfy looks and armor, but seems a bit much for a game like this.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I'm a weirdo who prefers not having transmog in many cases. Sometimes it's OK. But It makes the gear feel less like gear and more like numbers and it really takes away from my gear finding fun.

Deciding on what to equip based on looks and stats makes the decision feel more layered and I like that. I don't really like the whole "equip bigger number, copy old look" with every piece of gear that it leads to.

It would be better but harder to make it so that armor blended together so that taking the pieces for the values didn't make you look like a clown.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    "Handsome Costanza" : as you seem to be deeply into the disney-period lore: do black lightsabers even exist anymore?

The Darksaber is still canon since it originated in Clone Wars and made an appearance in Rebels

Sorry didn't see this. Yup, Obi is correct.

Are the lenses in the Death Star laser mechanics made of green Kyber Crystals? Because in Fallen Order they made it clear that Ilum was going to become Star Killer base and they were mining huge amounts of Kybar crystals.

And I just recently replayed the first Force Unleashed and the games Death Star level literally has you running along the firing line of one of the lasers and they all go through multiple green crystal lenses. That was really just an awesome level in its own. Each of the lasers that comes together for the Death Stars laser also has like multiple beams that converge in a giant green lens to create them for a total of 64 different lasers altogether.

Yes this is correct, although Force Unleashed technically isn't canon. Rogue One is all about them harvesting Kyber crystals for use in building the Death Star. There is a tie-in episode of Rebels where they set off a massive unstable crystal (the bigger they are the less stable they are when unrefined) that takes out a couple Star Destroyers. The Death Star basically runs off the same principles that a lightsaber does. A lightsaber is just on a much smaller scale and has tech to limit the beam and keep it constant.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

It would be better but harder to make it so that armor blended together so that taking the pieces for the values didn't make you look like a clown.

Yea it very much depends on the game and overall design styles. The clownsuit sorta stuff doesn't usually come up all that often outside of MMOs really. Because it's usually going to be a problem when there are a huge amount of pieces of gear with very different styles and clashing colors and that are all equippable on the same character.

But that's why they just design around that for single player games. Have specific classes/characters have certain styles, have the gear overall tend to blend together well, offer dying options, etc.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Yea it very much depends on the game and overall design styles. The clownsuit sorta stuff doesn't usually come up all that often outside of MMOs really. Because it's usually going to be a problem when there are a huge amount of pieces of gear with very different styles and clashing colors and that are all equippable on the same character.

But that's why they just design around that for single player games. Have specific classes/characters have certain styles, have the gear overall tend to blend together well, offer dying options, etc.

I think something like AC Odyssey is a good route forward for gear in a single player game, it directly affects how you play, has a good variety of playstyles available and each piece unlocks a look for that slot that you can apply whenever you like. Plus pretty much all of it goes together anyway so you don't end up looking like a spare kit bin.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I think something like AC Odyssey is a good route forward for gear in a single player game, it directly affects how you play, has a good variety of playstyles available and each piece unlocks a look for that slot that you can apply whenever you like. Plus pretty much all of it goes together anyway so you don't end up looking like a spare kit bin.

The gear is also fairly straightforward about how a bonus applies to the game, and you can feel the differences immediately when you play. There's still a ton of trash, but the naming conventions gives you the occasional a "Oh, I remember that idiot!" chuckle as you recycle all the crappy armor.

• Options

Yes this is correct, although Force Unleashed technically isn't canon. Rogue One is all about them harvesting Kyber crystals for use in building the Death Star. There is a tie-in episode of Rebels where they set off a massive unstable crystal (the bigger they are the less stable they are when unrefined) that takes out a couple Star Destroyers. The Death Star basically runs off the same principles that a lightsaber does. A lightsaber is just on a much smaller scale and has tech to limit the beam and keep it constant.

Do they rule out any other black crystals being out there in the wild in those series outside of the Darksaber?

• Options
    edited December 2019

Do they rule out any other black crystals being out there in the wild in those series outside of the Darksaber?

Nothing is ruled out. There's a black lightsaber crystal at Savii's workshop @ Galaxy's Edge (which the games lightsaber customization is based on) but I think that was a manufacturing defect/isn't canon. It's extremely rare and the blade it emits when installed into a lightsaber is red colored. Who knows they may decide to make it canon and a legit black lightsaber though. That may take some doing but if they can do lightsabers with blades made of actual light like they showed us at Star Wars Celebration I have faith that they can do anything.

But to answer your question no, there's no black-bladed lightsabers in canon aside from the Darksaber... that I'm aware of at least.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Red Kyber doesnt even exist naturally, right? It turns red when a force user "dominates" the crystal instead of letting it attune to them. I'm guessing the lone black crystal we know about was because it was the first mandalorian to become a Jedi and the attunement that happened there was a bit unique.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    After sludging through the shithole that is Miktrull, it seems the game insists I only found 4 chests in there despite me checking that I opened all 4...

Great.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Sirialis wrote: »
    After sludging through the shithole that is Miktrull, it seems the game insists I only found 4 chests in there despite me checking that I opened all 4...

Great.

You probably got hit with the bug. Were you able to use the minimap during your exploration?

edit: should note that the 1.04 Patch that PC users got that is afiak pending for consoles doesn't include this fix, but the next patch would. whether or not we are getting a combination of that fix and the 1.04 patch fixes IDK about. apparently we did get the same 1.04 patch. we didn't, stupid spam results. >\

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I think I had issues with the minimap when I opened the first chest, no idea it would count against me... Sigh.

Feels like every game skips adequate quality assurance these days.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

I'm hoping this ends up being just the foundation of a engine they build off of in future sequels. Now that they've got the basics in place, hopefully they can add gearing options and other things in the next Fallen Order.

Agreed. Would love way more customization in gear and lightsaber parts that affect some kind of mechanic of the game beyond just visuals. Like armor (similar to the jedi armor from the clone wars for example) that gives you some protection but maybe slows you down some or lowers your ability to use the force? Same with more customizations to the lightsaber that have different effects (cross guard please!).

And yeah, I hope the skill tree becomes MUCH bigger, and with more specialization. I managed to unlock all but one skill in this game. My head-canon is that this is just Cal relearning everything he already knew. Now I hope they expand on it. Want to be more of a Force user who tosses folks around? Do it! Want to be a duelist and focus on that? Yes please!

They could work something in where you could switch out your bound force powers, or what ppwer activates when you parry/evade. Even leaving the control map as it is, they've got room to expand the skill tree by linking the parry/evade trigger mechanic to the RT/LT/RB/Y buttons to invoke new abilities.

Hell, they could even expand BD's skillset with a combat dodge-heal if you hit d-up at the key moment, and have BD flash blind an opponent on a well timed d-down (COMBAT SCAN!)

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I think I had issues with the minimap when I opened the first chest, no idea it would count against me... Sigh.

Feels like every game skips adequate quality assurance these days.

The upside is you probably didn't spend several hours repeatedly combing the map in two areas trying to find the things you missed blind only to give up and check guides and discover that no, you really didn't miss anything, the game just bugged on you.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Red Kyber doesnt even exist naturally, right? It turns red when a force user "dominates" the crystal instead of letting it attune to them. I'm guessing the lone black crystal we know about was because it was the first mandalorian to become a Jedi and the attunement that happened there was a bit unique.
    Bleeding, but yeah. Apparently you can heal it, too (red -> white). I think the black crystal is just an easter egg.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    and finished.
    Holy shit what a game, that might be my goty.

It was so nice having a good Star Wars story for the first time since Episode 3 (well and I guess Clone Wars / Rebels)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    and finished.

It was so nice having a good Star Wars story for the first time since Episode 3 (well and I guess Clone Wars / Rebels)

With this game, The Mandalorian, the upcoming Obi-Wan show and season 7 of Clone Wars I'm starting to wonder if Star Wars is better served off the silver screen. I know they're taking a long break on the movies after this next one. Maybe not the worst idea and fairly likely if the rumor-mill among the Trades are right and Favreau is in line to head Disney Star Wars. My personal take is he almost certainly will be.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I thought Force Unleashed 1 had a good story. It definitely runs circles around Fallen Order with its cast and characters.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    and finished.

With this game, The Mandalorian, the upcoming Obi-Wan show and season 7 of Clone Wars I'm starting to wonder if Star Wars is better served off the silver screen. I know they're taking a long break on the movies after this next one. Maybe not the worst idea and fairly likely if the rumor-mill among the Trades are right and Favreau is in line to head Disney Star Wars. My personal take is he almost certainly will be.

As great as Mandalorian is he won't and he shouldn't be, and in terms of it being better served off-silver screen it's not and it won't be.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    In Hollywood if the Trades are reporting on a rumor they’re very often truth.

Favreau has a good track record as a creator and (more importantly to Disney) a good track record as a producer. Plus he is a big fan of Star Wars. What Disney currently wants is a ‘Kevin Feige’ for Star Wars and Favreau is a pretty obvious choice.

Filoni is certainly a fan favorite to head Star Wars, but he has little to no experience on the business side of things.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, when you finally get the hang of blocking and dispatch a group of enemies (and an AT ST) without getting hit once.. it feels badass

• Options
    Ok so my second fight with the Second Sister
    I was just kinda exploring, wasn't sure if I was heading towards the objective so it felt like she really ambushed me when I wasn't ready. I still managed to get her health to about half without taking any hits. She still managed to make me use all my health and heals, so when the cutscene kicked in I had about 1 hit left. It felt good to improve from the first time she clowned me, and despite dying a lot to bad jumps and stuff, I haven't died to her yet

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I admit I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the multiple boss fights that just kind of end when the boss's health bar reaches the half way mark.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I admit I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the multiple boss fights that just kind of end when the boss's health bar reaches the half way mark.

The one that annoyed me just now
    getting kidnapped by the bounty hunter, I was whooping his ass and then suddenly nope, you're being electrocuted

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    and finished.

It kind of always was. I like the Sequel Trilogy, but it's breaking under the weight of expectation of being compared to the original, and I'm not entirely unsympathetic to those who wanted happier endings for the original trio.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

The one that annoyed me just now
    getting kidnapped by the bounty hunter, I was whooping his ass and then suddenly nope, you're being electrocuted

That whole thing felt dumb and half assed.
    I made sure to exhaust dialogues with Greez and Cere at every opportunity and did a lot of planet backtracking so I had more than the typical number of times. Nothing about them or that place was mentioned, then that happens out of the blue and you are rescued from it just as abruptly as it started with little to no exposition on why.

I enjoyed randomly running into bounty hunters after that and you can logically assume they are the ones Greez got the money for the Mantis from but there’s so little story there and it all feels unfinished.