As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    You can say that again!

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I can't fucking wait for Barkham Horror. Also, to mash dog related cards into my regular AH decks. This is the best goddamn thing.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I have mixed feelings about allowing such clearly Good Bois to go insane. :P

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    They've gone barking mad.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    You can say that again!

This is such a great TOTP that I'm not going to correct the thing caused by my network hiccup.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    It says it's not playable in regular games but they have to be relatively balanced, right? Like at the number of cards in that pack you're certainly going to have to build their decks out of the existing card pool, and probably also bring in some encounter sets from the base game?

None of Skids' abilities seem totally overpowered. Yeah, he could potentially deal 15 damage if you have two enemies at two adjacent locations who can eat that much damage but that's pretty niche? I only play 1-2 players, so maybe that's a thing that's more common there. Or the Monacle appears to be a 2 cost, +1 int and +1 whenever you parley which is pretty balanced.

If this was like, Magic Un set levels of silliness where your weakness was to only be able to communicate through barks or something silly, yeah it would be unplayable, but $20 bucks for some investigators and extra cards? Not bad at all. It just seems like some cutesy text and theming.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Just saw the SUSD episode for the party game Don't Get Got last night and immediately ordered a copy.

https://youtu.be/9zUQklAZMa4

That said, I had some ideas or questions about its use in the context of a work holiday party with a lot of people but limited amount of copies. Copying that from the BGG forum below. No spoilers about the game, just longer.
    Hello! I just ordered this, just one copy, and I'm wondering if this would be the perfect game for my upcoming work holiday party. I can easily get ten players, but I wonder if the "Get a Player to..." will be too constricting in that wider audience.

I'm considering getting a group of friends from work together to know the rules and have their assignments in advance of the party, or potentially giving them their assignments myself and not telling them who the other players are.

This would put me in more of a DM/GM role that isn't really designed for this game, but I feel like it could really add to the suspense if I pick from outside the "usual suspects" of the gamers at work.

Needlessly complicated, or untapped seam?

This feels much more complicated for a much worse experience but I suspect I don't fully understand

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Apparently my mom purchased Catopoly for some reason. And my dad kept asking when we were going to play it. Urgh. So we played it today.

It's Monopoly, but the properties are all cats for some reason. And the horrible Free Parking rule is in the rules. Bleh.

I won because I collected all of the money that went to Free Parking all game, and finally someone landed on my Park Place cat with three litter boxes.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Well Nemesis showed up and they forgot to actually send me the base game. Looking on the forums and such, that's happened to a lot of people and it seems to be on purpose because they ran out of copies. Support isn't acknowledging it at all and isn't replying to tickets concerning it.

I'm never buying a game from these fuckers again.

If it is deliberate, yeah, that's cartoonishly awful. Wow. Sorry man.

I'm sure they'll have to deal with it at some point, because pulling that shit will tank a company. I hope your copy isn't delayed too long.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Just saw the SUSD episode for the party game Don't Get Got last night and immediately ordered a copy.

https://youtu.be/9zUQklAZMa4

That said, I had some ideas or questions about its use in the context of a work holiday party with a lot of people but limited amount of copies. Copying that from the BGG forum below. No spoilers about the game, just longer.
    Hello! I just ordered this, just one copy, and I'm wondering if this would be the perfect game for my upcoming work holiday party. I can easily get ten players, but I wonder if the "Get a Player to..." will be too constricting in that wider audience.

I'm considering getting a group of friends from work together to know the rules and have their assignments in advance of the party, or potentially giving them their assignments myself and not telling them who the other players are.

This would put me in more of a DM/GM role that isn't really designed for this game, but I feel like it could really add to the suspense if I pick from outside the "usual suspects" of the gamers at work.

Needlessly complicated, or untapped seam?

This feels much more complicated for a much worse experience but I suspect I don't fully understand

No, you probably understand. I can play it as per the rules and we'll know who the other players are so it'll be a normal game.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Finally got around to playing Madness at Midnight.

So while the theme is "competitive reverse-Arkham", it plays mostly like Chaos in the Old World with Twilight Imperium's objective scoring. You have up to 4 cults with 3 units (cultist, fighty cultist, and tough monster) summoning and moving around the board. Each cult gets its own upgrades, one for each unit, and an ability one. Combat has hits on 5-6, with 6s exploding. Each location has a limited number of slots players can claim for an effect. So far, just like Chaos in the Old World.

Differences from CitOW:

- You roll dice to determine which actions you can take during a turn, instead of power points.
    - Each location has a special function you can use a die on for a benefit, with a different benefit going to the player who has the most presence at the end of a round.
    - No corruption. VP are instead doled out like the Twilight Imperium public and secret objectives. The difference is that each public objective can only be claimed by one player, with new objectives replacing them as they're picked.
    - Combat only occurs if a player placed a battle die on a location, in which which case one "round" of fighting occurs at the end of the turn. Each space only has one slot for a die though, so whoever puts it there gets to pick the combatants.
    - There's a more direct timer going on. Every time someone rolls a certain die result, markers get placed on the investigator space. Once they get a certain number of tokens, the investigators will seal the next location they land on. On the 3rd seal, the game ends in a federal raid and the winner is the player with the least VP as they remain hidden. This can lead to manuevering where players who think it's hopeless can try to intentionally tank the game this way.

All in all, it wasn't bad. I certainly don't think it would be worth the original $50-60 retail price (the $6 I paid was a bargain!), but I think it's on sale anywhere you look. Aside from the wood pieces, the production values are first edition Arkham Horror quality (the one from the 80s). There are 2 areas I would hesitate to recommend it though:

- There is a lot of text on the board to be reading: on locations, and all the new objectives coming up. I could see this taking a long time with an AP players, in which case the playtime wouldn't be worth it.

- I'm not sure there's a reason to ever play this over Chaos in the Old World. I guess the VP mechanic is more interesting.

-ALTHOUGH...I'm not sure the "first player to grab an objective gets sole claim to it" works very well when it's a strict clockwise player order with steady rotating 1st player. Too many swingy VP claims can be stolen just by the luck of player order at any given time, with no option to influence player order like Twilight Imperium.

MrBody on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Not super eventful weekend of gaming with the in-laws. Two puzzles were completed, got in one game of Wingspan, then yesterday we got through Exit: Abandoned Cabin which was cool but we didn't love the one-time play of it (but physically manipulating stuff was fun). After Exit was enjoyed, I ran out to a local store and grabbed Unlock! Adventures in Oz which we played through this morning.

There was also some discount shopping, came home to Dice Forge: Rebellion and Discover: Lands Unknown, with Funkoverse: Harry Potter core game on the way. Missed out on half price Star Wars: Outer Rim from Kohl's on Friday, though. :evil:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Abandoned Cabin is probably the 2nd best one (after Orient Express).

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Well the Nemesis folks got back to me finally. They can't help until I send them photographs of my shipping boxes. You know, the ones I got a week ago and why the hell would you hold onto those things?

I can't fault them for needing proof but really how can I prove I just didn't get something unless they search my dang house?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    so I'm a few weeks away from going home for the x-mas holidays. I'm considering what to bring that my parents might actually play to pass the time. I picked up a copy of letter jam, havent played it yet, but hope that might be fun. Previous attempts mostly failed with the exception of CAH or codenames so I'm looking to stick to something fairly simple and card based. Was thinking of picking up the sushi go party box but that might be a bit too short.

Any other suggestions?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Well the Nemesis folks got back to me finally. They can't help until I send them photographs of my shipping boxes. You know, the ones I got a week ago and why the hell would you hold onto those things?

I can't fault them for needing proof but really how can I prove I just didn't get something unless they search my dang house?

I figured the tracking number/shipping label would be enough for them to know this was an order where they "forgot" to pack that base game.
    azith28 wrote: »
    so I'm a few weeks away from going home for the x-mas holidays. I'm considering what to bring that my parents might actually play to pass the time. I picked up a copy of letter jam, havent played it yet, but hope that might be fun. Previous attempts mostly failed with the exception of CAH or codenames so I'm looking to stick to something fairly simple and card based. Was thinking of picking up the sushi go party box but that might be a bit too short.

Any other suggestions?

Splendor was being talked about a few pages back, that's not a bad choice. I had good luck with my parents with Azul.Horrified is more traditional, but about as simple as I've seen in that type of game, and the theme will be familiar to anyone.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Any other suggestions?

Just One seems to be the recommendation for party game to play at Christmas with the family this year

My dad tried to sort out the after-dinner game a year or two back and he managed to pick up CAH somehow. Apparently he opened the box, loudly went "nope" and fetched 1984 trivial pursuit

Any other suggestions?

Do they like any traditional games? Card players?

Barring other information, id say bring codenames and buy just one.

Yeah we sometimes will play canasta, so general card games are a go, I'm just trying to shake it up a bit with something a bit off center.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Just one was like "game we're playing to wait for the other part of the group to finish their game" and it turned into "make the other group join in now that their done with their game" very quickly

I figured the tracking number/shipping label would be enough for them to know this was an order where they "forgot" to pack that base game.

But here's the rub- the shipping label doesn't have the game on it; just all the other stuff. As far as they're concerned they never intended to send me the base game I had mysteriously bought over 200$ worth of expansions for so they've done nothing wrong. Now they say they have to go back and see where the error is rather then just send me the damn thing.

You'd think my receipt in the pledge manager clearly showing it as existing and paid for would do HOWEVER

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

But here's the rub- the shipping label doesn't have the game on it; just all the other stuff. As far as they're concerned they never intended to send me the base game I had mysteriously bought over 200$ worth of expansions for so they've done nothing wrong. Now they say they have to go back and see where the error is rather then just send me the damn thing.

You'd think my receipt in the pledge manager clearly showing it as existing and paid for would do HOWEVER

This makes the request for pictures even more perplexing.

The pictures showed what they were supposed to pack in the box and, according to the labels, they sent everything they intended to.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Does the shipping labels / packing slips show the weight of the package? If something significant was missing, that would show up on the records, somewhere.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Yeah we sometimes will play canasta, so general card games are a go, I'm just trying to shake it up a bit with something a bit off center.

If they like traditional style card games get Wizard, it's a fantastic trick taking game. Plays best with higher player counts though, do if you're just 3 maybe not the one. 4-6 is best.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I bought the Carcassonne big box on sale during Black Friday. I need to stop poo-pooing established "gateway" games as too simple for my refined tastes, because I'm pretty sure we played it over a dozen times in two days. It's our current addiction.

Next up: learn how to play Tainted Grail.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Athenor wrote: »
    Does the shipping labels / packing slips show the weight of the package? If something significant was missing, that would show up on the records, somewhere.

The original order does, the packing slip doesn't. The literally never planned to send me the game once the shipping process started.

Actually the nemesis game comes in a white box that has the logo on it if you backed it. not sure why yours is different.

edited December 2019

Actually the nemesis game comes in a white box that has the logo on it if you backed it. not sure why yours is different.

That's what it came in. Both boxes were! Just none with the game.

This quote tree has gone on far too long as is: TL;DR something happened between order receipt and packing label and they want to find out what before I get the stuff I paid 90$ for. There. DONE! <3

Magic Pink on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Got Nemesis to the table this weekend for the first time.

Really enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. The game does an excellent job of reinforcing the theme, and the game really doesn't work without that theme. Unlike games like Eldritch Horror where you fight directly against the baddies, Nemesis thrives on making fighting the aliens a last resort. Accordingly a huge amount of the game is played moving from corridor to corridor as softly as possible to avoid alerting them. The semi-cooperative nature of the game was fantastic too because no one trusted anyone right from the get go.

What the game really succeeds at is creating a narrative perfectly suited to the theme. Right off the bat, everyone panicked and ran in separate directions. Everyone kind of had this idea of finding whatever they needed to complete their objective as fast as possible and then evacuating. And the result was people loudly running around the ship, waking up aliens. I was the last survivor (which was my objective anyways!), but when I tried to escape on an escape pod I got attacked so had to run. I tried plan B which was to go back into stasis and trust the jump to hyperspeed would kill everything else on the ship. Unfortunately there were still 7 turns left when I went into stasis, so we ran through all the event cards, and with no one on damage control, the fires eventually spread throughout the ship and we exploded 3 turns away from the jump.

Looking forward to playing it again!

Got Nemesis to the table this weekend for the first time.

Really enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. The game does an excellent job of reinforcing the theme, and the game really doesn't work without that theme. Unlike games like Eldritch Horror where you fight directly against the baddies, Nemesis thrives on making fighting the aliens a last resort. Accordingly a huge amount of the game is played moving from corridor to corridor as softly as possible to avoid alerting them. The semi-cooperative nature of the game was fantastic too because no one trusted anyone right from the get go.

What the game really succeeds at is creating a narrative perfectly suited to the theme. Right off the bat, everyone panicked and ran in separate directions. Everyone kind of had this idea of finding whatever they needed to complete their objective as fast as possible and then evacuating. And the result was people loudly running around the ship, waking up aliens. I was the last survivor (which was my objective anyways!), but when I tried to escape on an escape pod I got attacked so had to run. I tried plan B which was to go back into stasis and trust the jump to hyperspeed would kill everything else on the ship. Unfortunately there were still 7 turns left when I went into stasis, so we ran through all the event cards, and with no one on damage control, the fires eventually spread throughout the ship and we exploded 3 turns away from the jump.

Looking forward to playing it again!

EVERY WORD A DAGGER

:cry::cry::cry:

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Dissociater sat on a throne built from Nemesis boxes, basking in the glow of a fire fueled by spare Nemesis boxes they hadn’t needed. “Wait!” Dissociater thought. “”While I’ve been enjoying Nemesis in pretty much every way possible, I still haven’t shared this joy with the forum. Off to post!”

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
    Anyone want any more feedback about Nemesis?

sure how does it feel when you shove it up yer butt

*sobs wildly*

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

*sobs wildly*

Probably varies based on whether or not you've sleeved everything...

DarkPrimus on

*sobs wildly*

The adults aren't so bad, it's the breeders you want to watch out for.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Any thoughts on Tapestry, thread? I have the opportunity to play it but I’m not sure if I want to or not.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    I've liked Tapestry the two times I've played it, but it's definitely not a traditional 4X game despite the theme. Go into it expecting some randomness, enjoy the storytelling that comes with the gameplay, and I think it's a compelling enough engine builder/action selection game to try at least once. Especially if someone else bought it.

Although consensus seems to be it's not great at 5 players.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
    2 Gloom 2 Haven announced

bcgdrwzvtnjg.png
    It's time for a newsletter! So, listen. I thought about starting this off telling you about my recent Pokemon adventures, but there is some serious news that is far more pressing. You know that big Gloomhaven expansion I've been talking about and alluding to for the last three years?

Yeah, I know. Three whole years of teasing and withholding information like a jerk. Well, it's finally time! Are you ready?

FROSTHAVEN!!!

That's right, my friend! Frosthaven is coming!

I know, I know, we just announced Jaws of the Lion, and now there's this, too! So much new Gloomhaven! Or, err, I mean Frosthaven.

While Jaws of the Lion is geared towards bringing in new players to the Gloomhaven world, Frosthaven is my chance to tell another epic story on the scale of the original game, with the same complexity and grandeur. This is Gloomhaven 2.0, with 16 new characters, over 25 new enemies, over 100 new items, somewhere around 100 new scenarios, and so much more.

So why Frosthaven? Well, that is the name of a small outpost far to the north of the capital city of White Oak. There, a group of mercenaries at the end of their rope will help bring back this settlement from the edge of destruction. Not only will they have to deal with the harsh elements, but there are other, far more dangerous threats out in the unforgiving cold as well.

There are Algox, the bigger, more yeti-like cousins of the Inox, attacking from the mountains, Lurkers flooding in from the northern sea, and there are even rumors of machines that wander the frozen wastes of their own free will. The party of mercenaries must face all of these perils, and perhaps in doing so, make peace with these new races so they can work together against even more sinister forces.

I could probably rant for a good while about everything that is going to be in this game, but I don't want to throw out any potential spoilers, and also I am going to be doing a lot of ranting already on Saturday at PAX Unplugged. On Saturday at 10am in the Mothman Theatre, I'll be doing a live Q&A with Tom Vasel about all things Frosthaven. I'll answer his questions, and questions from the audience, and it will be a grand old time.

Also you should come by the booth! It will be right under the giant Frosthaven sign, and it will have all sorts of cool stuff. Like, really cool stuff. If you will be at PAX Unplugged, I would absolutely love if you could come and hang out with me. And if you won't be at the show, that is okay, too! It will be live-streamed by PAX here, so please tune in Saturday 10am EST to get all the Frosthaven infos