As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I appreciate the input! The PNY and Seagate have good reviews on the sites, though there's definitely way fewer reviews in general for them. The Samsung has a ton of reviews and most are very good, so I'll probably spend the little extra and get that for the peace of mind

I'm surprised I took this long to weigh in on this myself. I use a Crucial (formerly Micron?) MX500 1 TB-at the time, considered a medium-to-high end SATA SSD solution. In the end of the day, I've had enough SSDs fail on me (including one from Samsung and one from Crucial!) to know there's always a risk (unless you deliberately sought out some ultra-reliable and not very fast mechanical drive with a robust customer protection plan).

The greater point might be your enclosure/USB device. The USB 3.1 (?) on the back of a modern Xbox One is supposed to be powered enough to drive a SATA SSD by itself...probably? Personally, I ended up getting this enclosure from Inateck which doubles as a USB hub but does need to be powered. It might not be what you necessarily need though--you can just stick a SATA-to-USB connector on the end and plug it into your console as well.

The boys at Digital Foundry have put out their exhaustive examination of the Xbox Game Streaming beta so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCkE8ndnHG4

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So I did an oopsie and didn't buy an Xbox One S during Black Friday or Monday and now it's back up to 299, because I thought those prices would stay put for all of December and I wasn't gonna deal with traffic and the busiest online day.

This is for a friend and I pretty much told him I was getting him one so I'll bite the bullet either way and pay the stupid tax if I have to, but realistically do you think the price will drop again in a week or two?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You might be able to find it close to that on eBay, but y'know, you gotta vet those purchases wisely

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Microsoft pushed most of those deals and I doubt they will be bringing any back this year. Any sales would be on the retailers themselves trying to dump stock, but I'd say January is probably the better time for that.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    A week into having an Xbox One X 'for the kids' and I'm already starting to look for a used S or something for my room.

Speaking of which, is there a way to tell on the console itself what model I am looking at?

Bigity on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    If it's a giant brick, it's the original Xbox One
    61CnOKdmBeL._AC_.jpg

If it has a flared top that extends an equal amount over the bottom on each side, it's an S. (If it looks like that, but with no disc drive, it's an S All-Digital)
    51nqrm-TwGL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

If it has a flared top that extends on the left (looking at the consoles front) but not the right, it's an X.
    41yKKDm%2BV9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

(colours may vary)

Undead Scottsman on
    Actually looking at them directly, there's a lot of differences (usb port and IR sensor swap sides, disc drive in in the upper tier on the S, but between tiers on the X, placement of the eject button)

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Also, on the top, the vents: if there are slats, it's an original model; if there are circular holes, it's an S; if there's none and they're only on the sides and back, it's an X.

The IR sensor is a good one too: none visible (it's still there, just hidden), original; right, S; left, X.

Also there's a model sticker somewhere (bottom or back depending on model) that will literally say what it is. (Pretty sure the S has that; the original and X definitely do.)

edited December 2019
    Actually looking at them directly, there's a lot of differences (usb port and IR sensor swap sides, disc drive in in the upper tier on the S, but between tiers on the X, placement of the eject button)

About the only thing that is in roughly the same place is the Sync button. (And power button, obviously.)

Jazz on
    You're also not as likely to run into an unopened original Xbox One console at this point. This is why I don't call them "Xbox One S" usually--Xbox One is fine. Unless you're concerned about having a UHD player, HDR, or Kinect support, they are functionally the same.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Note re: SSDs, while PNY is "generally fine", at last I knew you didn't see hugely significant gains from using an SSD on an Xbox; I dropped a reasonably-priced 2.5" (is that the little guys? The little thin guys, USB powered.) 1TB spinning external drive off the back of my X, and it's been delightful. And was way cheaper than a 1TB SSD at the time, as well.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Also, on the top, the vents: if there are slats, it's an original model; if there are circular holes, it's an S; if there's none and they're only on the sides and back, it's an X.

The IR sensor is a good one too: none visible (it's still there, just hidden), original; right, S; left, X.

Also there's a model sticker somewhere (bottom or back depending on model) that will literally say what it is. (Pretty sure the S has that; the original and X definitely do.)

Note: The original Xbox One doesn't have an IR Blaster on the console itself, its IR blaster was in the Kinect.

Opty wrote: »

Note: The original Xbox One doesn't have an IR Blaster on the console itself, its IR blaster was in the Kinect.

Yes, this is correct--since the original console was bundled with the Kinect for some time, this was a nonissue.

Conversely, you'll need a breakout box (by now, a third-party solution that runs about $19.99) to connect an Kinect to either the Xbox One or XB1X (unless you have the big launch model, which it can plug in natively). Though this is probably a nonissue for most people by now.

True, but it still has an IR sensor for the media remote, it's just hidden behind the fascia and doesn't include the blaster.

If it's a giant brick, it's the original Xbox One
    61CnOKdmBeL._AC_.jpg

If it has a flared top that extends an equal amount over the bottom on each side, it's an S. (If it looks like that, but with no disc drive, it's an S All-Digital)
    51nqrm-TwGL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

If it has a flared top that extends on the left (looking at the consoles front) but not the right, it's an X.
    41yKKDm%2BV9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

(colours may vary)

Thanks, appreciate it

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My game pass ultimate sub will work with PC too right? Is it a separate windows app or just the standard Xbox Live one?

LostNinja on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    LostNinja wrote: »
    My game pass ultimate sub will work with PC too right? Is it a separate windows app or just the standard Xbox Live one?

There's an Xbox beta app that you use. You can find it on the Windows store. And yes, ultimate sub includes PC game pass.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah, ultimate is the package deal of console and PC gamepass, as well as an Xbox live subscription.

You can also just find them in the Windows 10 store, or via your browser.

Keep in mind the pools of games are different.

And the app is still in beta - seems very slow to me. *shrug* Downloading Metro Exodus and will fire it up later hopefully.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

looks like work on Scarlet is progressing well.

Tim Warren of the Verge says MS is holding back on dev kits to try and surprise Sony on the final power level of Scarlet.

Jason Schreier says Lockhart isn't dead after all. Also that Sony and MS were very worried about Stadia.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Lmao about what, Google poisoning the well before they could introduce their own competitor product?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yes, this is correct--since the original console was bundled with the Kinect for some time, this was a nonissue.

Conversely, you'll need a breakout box (by now, a third-party solution that runs about $19.99) to connect an Kinect to either the Xbox One or XB1X (unless you have the big launch model, which it can plug in natively). Though this is probably a nonissue for most people by now.

I miss my Kinect so much. It pooped out and now I have an s. For all I know the Xbox port is what pooped out and the Kinect is fine.

The Kinect was awesome. Not for games, but just the native voice commands and "Xbox record that ". I had a puppy at the time and would use voice commands while in his area.

I wish I had that with my 2 month old daughter.

On another note, cuphead is hard. No way my gf can get through these run n gun levels.

edited December 2019
    RickRude wrote: »

I miss my Kinect so much. It pooped out and now I have an s. For all I know the Xbox port is what pooped out and the Kinect is fine.

The Kinect was awesome. Not for games, but just the native voice commands and "Xbox record that ". I had a puppy at the time and would use voice commands while in his area.

I wish I had that with my 2 month old daughter.

On another note, cuphead is hard. No way my gf can get through these run n gun levels.

Well, it's not that hard to buy a new one (and a breakout box). And every Kinect game is still supported for functionality as far as I know.

Synthesis on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I still use an original XBO but scoured high and low to make sure I got an adaptor sitting aside for whenever I actually upgrade lol

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I actually went out of my way to get one just for voice commands, since my cats would frequently turn it on or off with their noses (and of course they'd stop after I got it).

Since I have my cable box go through the console, it's handy when I want to watch TV, too.

I also got an adapter for the X, whenever I might get to use that more.

Really, I hope Scarlett has voice commands built in.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Tim Warren of the Verge says MS is holding back on dev kits to try and surprise Sony on the final power level of Scarlet.

Here's hoping that doesn't unnecessarily annoy/delay developers.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited December 2019
    I had literally never heard that until the Jason Schreier article, so I appreciate seeing at least someone else elaborate on it.

Untitled Goose Game's achievement list is confirmed. Be the Hit-Goose on 17 December.

Synthesis on
    I had literally never heard that until the Jason Schreier article, so I appreciate seeing at least someone else elaborate on it.

Untitled Goose Game's achievement list is confirmed. Be the Hit-Goose on 17 December.

That'll be my best option for that since it's currently "late 2020" on Steam.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

How do I get Phil Spencer's job?

Scratch that, I want Major Nelson's job.

You'll need to have unmatched radio DJ enthusiasm. Larry Hryb is an industry treasure.

You'll need to have unmatched radio DJ enthusiasm. Larry Hryb is an industry treasure.

And Phil is definitely becoming one.

High on VR's shitlist though. :lol:

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

I mean... VR is lame anyway so...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Why is that?

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Why is that?

"Nobody's Asking For VR"- Phil Spencer

VR Enthusiasts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Did he forget that Microsoft literally makes VR hardware, lmao
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-mixed-reality

All he said is that Scarlet wasn't going to focus on VR because it's not a high priority for most of their userbase. They didn't rule out ever having VR.

MS has blown a lot of good will pursuing stuff like the Kinect, so I can see them being skittish now that VR is out and not exactly lighting the world on fire. (Half-Life: Alyx announcement non-withstanding)