As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park]? They still make that?

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I've never taken to any of the serialized episodes which is strange because they've obviously put out the fantastic Bigger, Longer, Uncut, and the Book of Mormon. Some of them start off ok like Randy as Lourde, and the introduction of PC Principal but they always whiff the endings with celebrity holograms and living advertisements that make the back end unwatchable.

Looking at the seasons, the first 7 eps of Season 19 are almost all solid with entries like Tweek x Craig but the las 3 episodes are rough and all part of a single story. Season 20 is almost a complete write off for me, I didn't feel the trolling story at all, it was a 1, maybe two episode thing at best. It was never particularly funny and then it was stretched out over 5 hours. It had moments like the member' berries and Cartman getting a girlfriend and seeing a vagina, but even that just devolves into nothingness about Space X and Cartman being worried about his internet history.

Season 21 was more a return to form with the Hummels and Heroin episode, but it's about 50/50 on good versus bad episodes. Season 22 was a little better. It's really amazing how long there is between seasons and yet we've had like 5 in what seems a short amount of time.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    They had at least one season recently that cratered because they didn't expect trump to win the election and it ruined their arc. I think another season had to take a left turn because of current events as well, but I dont remember season numbers or anything.

steam_sig.png
    Season 20. It's the one with the Danish anti-trolling thing where Kyle's dad is a troll and other online trolls are literal trolls.

It should never have been longer than an episode. It's not entirely related to Garrison becoming president as they had some good stuff with that like Where My Country Gone? But that episode took place in Season 19.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya their full season arcs always seem to peter out, they should stick to 3 episode arcs, that's where some of their best work has been.

Imaginationland, Red Robin Wedding, Coon and Friends, all so good.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I am stumped as to why they even bother with long arcs, as they've thoroughly run me out of the show for doing those. Callbacks are perfectly fine and entertaining in decent measure, but I couldn't care less about South Park with long arcs.

I just figure they're pretty done with the show and phoning it in for the money. I don't really blame them, given the run they've had and how hard it is to keep things original.

I think the season arcs have been fine except where they specifically have had fuckups that they have to compensate for.

steam_sig.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I think the season arcs have been fine except where they specifically have had fuckups that they have to compensate for.

Honestly, I think the troll/Hillary arc would have been fine if Hillary had won. Well, everything else would've been better too, but this one thing was entirely predicated on what was thought to be a foreseen conclusion.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    One self contained episode that felt like the most classic South Park in recent memory is the Halloween one with the scooters.

I could not get enough of Mackey being freaked out by them and their unexplained sentience.

edited December 2019
    Ever since they introduced the character Scott, I really hoped they weren't going to do exactly what they did tonight. They got the broad message in alright, but the weird stuff like exposed needles on the lancet device(this was clearly done on purpose incorrectly with how accurate the blood sugar numbers and device itself was), and /constantly/ testing his sugar approached compulsive levels rubbed me the wrong way. I can't speak for grade school, but besides people being curious/the kind of slightly ignorant kids can be in phrasing, from middle school on and in high school it never came up that much socially, and this is going back like 20 years.

Anyways, it wasn't offensive or anything, but it can be hard to get over random stereotypes. I guess this is kind of how they treat other issues, it got away cleaner than cable repair men. I guess in the end it was as accurate as showing streaming services go to static and then show the home shopping network. Generally when I overhear conversations between people about their friend/family member who has diabetes, its like 60-90% completely incorrect information.
    I'm diannaochong and I have diabetes

edit: Oh yeah, if you dont need insulin, don't inject it into yourself, you will probably just die. I think them doing that part was borderline reckless to show.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, anybody call the number at the end of the episode to see if it connected?

It probably is as they updated their Facebook telephone number at the same time.

It was an OK episode, I just don't think it was funny.

edited December 2019
    Karoz wrote: »

That's insane. There are so many questions on how those vials could get mixed up. Article says it was long acting insulin, if it was fast acting they probably would have died waiting for ems/paramedics. I think a flu shot is .2ml which is like 20 units of insulin. That's easily an overdose for even a diabetics long acting insulin by a large margin. I can tell you the feeling of low blood sugar, in some (some people are asymptomatic and I cant imagine how scary that is), is a feeling you havent felt before that is very unique. It's akin to nervousness or anxiety adjacent but not the same. A 40 at the end of that episode, he was probably about to be in real trouble, like not make it walking back home trouble. For a minute I thought he was 'giving up' when he saw the number and wasnt doing anything. Not sure if that was intended or not.

High blood sugar, at least in me, is much more physical, I get thirsty, I can smell my body trying to push garbage out of my pores and my eyes sting and it all smells of ammonia, I feel like garbage and want to sleep. I'm super self conscious about it, and have smelled it on other diabetics when their sugar goes high, but noones said they could notice it when I've asked.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Watched the episode and...yeah, it's pretty bad.

Showing the shooting up of insulin as having an equivalent high effect of other illicit drug use is just flabbergasting. Could have just pointed out how insanely expensive insulin is and left it at that. I'm hoping no one is dumb enough to try it.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    This felt like an old-school, self-contained South Park episode. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't laugh-out-loud hilarious. I was hoping they were going to rip into streaming services harder than they actually did.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    South park seems to have taken the Simpson route of a mandatory advertisement per episode.

Karoz wrote: »
    South park seems to have taken the Simpson route of a mandatory advertisement per episode.

The makers of the pirate table top game that gets heavily featured in that one episode had a post on imgur about how they received a gigantic order from either Trey or Matt and thought it was a hoax until they saw the shipping address for south park studios and spoke with them. Turns out they were just super big fans of the game and such so it got featured? A bunch of real board games are in the background of stans room in earlier episodes so I just figured it was a thing they had recently gotten into.

I think they do definitely have product placements and adverts, but they also just feature stuff they like or what is trending with kids.

steam_sig.png
    The board games are fine since they're pretty niche and obvious riffs on fads like Chinpoko Mon are one thing but the just out flat saying the name of some latest and greatest straight faced most of the time seems...odd.

Given Red Dead Redemption 2 was put into the plot and made part of many a joke but the Mandalorian is just there. Could have easily inserted any show into that slot or better yet did their own made up streaming show the new kid wanted to see. They obviously have plenty to choose from.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Meh, if they're trying to introduce Sophia as a "cool girl" that all the boys are intrigued by, having her be really into Star Wars makes more sense than making up some fake show. Maybe if they made the plot about Terrance & Phillip becoming a Disney+ exclusive, and she was a big T&P fan? They kind of hinted at that idea with Canada Ploos, but didn't go anywhere with it.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I will always love Nathan showing up.

I liked the episode, like the previous ones it felt like a good return to dumb potty mouth show. And I did enjoy the swerve with the Cable Guys still being assholes despite losing business.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That whole faecal transplant episode was a bit shit, wasn't it? (Sorry not sorry.) :P

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    That whole faecal transplant episode was a bit shit, wasn't it? (Sorry not sorry.) :P

I personally thought it was pretty funny, kinda reminded me of stuff they did years ago (Good Times with Weapons[s8e1] being one I can remember as making absolutely no point).

They really are at their best when the show isn't trying to make a point.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    edited December 2019

I personally thought it was pretty funny, kinda reminded me of stuff they did years ago (Good Times with Weapons[s8e1] being one I can remember as making absolutely no point).

They really are at their best when the show isn't trying to make a point.

I thought the point was that they were pointing out the hypocrisy of our western society being ok with glorifying violence, but being prudish about nudity. I think they literally say that when they get off the hook at the end.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Scott Malkinson ep was just OK. The B-plot with the cable guys still being lazy, late to the party fucks despite their livelihoods being threatened was amusing but not super laugh out loud funny.

The diabetic and insulin stuff was lampshaded already with Captain Diabetes in the Fractured But Whole video game. I can't comment on how reckless it was for M&T to portray shooting up insulin to get a super powered high.

The main thing that kinda bothered me about the ep was that Scott Malkinson acted like a creepy stalker possessive beta male asshole who felt entitled to be Sophia's boyfriend just because they had the sole commonality of being afflicted with diabetes (that and liking The Mandalorian, I guess?).

Despite Sophia plainly calling out Scott and every other boy there on this bullshit, she still warmed up to Scott at the end, which left me and my wife scratching our heads. Why, just because he was a 'nice guy' who was just trying too hard? Not sure if that was the right message that M&T intended to get across there.

Maybe I'm mistaking things that aren't there, but something about this rubs me the wrong way.

Raiju on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Legalised cocaine. Randy: "I told you! It's 2019 dawg!" :lol:

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Legalised cocaine. Randy: "I told you! It's 2019 dawg!" :lol:

That montage was hilarious. Also those product jars he was selling is a LOT of cocaine.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I still remember that old Mr. Garrison getting high episode.

Is there another SP thread? So we haven't had any series in like...18 months but we have had the Pandemic Special and now the Vaccination Special. The latter was funnier IMO than the former. The former had interesting ideas but seemed pretty tame compared to things like the Red Robin Wedding. Maybe I'm just all shocked out. It was nice to get Mr Garrison back though, I've missed the character.

Is there another SP thread? So we haven't had any series in like...18 months but we have had the Pandemic Special and now the Vaccination Special. The latter was funnier IMO than the former. The former had interesting ideas but seemed pretty tame compared to things like the Red Robin Wedding. Maybe I'm just all shocked out. It was nice to get Mr Garrison back though, I've missed the character.
    Yeah this latest special definitely made me laugh more than the first one. Maybe they've gotten more experienced with making the show via remote working? If so it shows.
    The way they brought back Garrison was the best bit - not just fourth wall breaking, but fourth-wall shattering by the animators. They turned Mr. Service into Mr. Hat. :lol:
    TBH I haven't missed the character as they've been used so often to make cheap jokes at the expense of people like me.
    I can but hope that Matt and Trey don't do anything like that again - I have a thicker skin than most Trans* people, but we really shouldn't have to.

And what iteration of Mr. Hat are we up to now? IIRC that doll has seemingly been possessed in some way or other since way back in the 1999 South Park movie, where they were being puppeteered by Satan.

I really liked all the Qanon jokes and the Q-Tutors. "You have the right to believe what you want to believe, even if what you believe is really fucking stupid!"
    And that was coming from Cartman, of all characters, not even Kyle or Stan. :lol:

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I was a little annoyed by the "if they really believe that then aren't they doing the right thing by acting on it?" crap about the anti-vax crowd. The answer is no. It doesn't matter how hard they believe in something when they are objectively wrong and their actions cause real harm to people.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I thought the episode had a few laughs. My favorite line was
    "Blow shit out your dickhole"

But overall the episode fell really flat for me. It felt like they wanted to send a message really badly, but they weren't sure what that message even was. It felt like they were trying to defend the beliefs of the QAnons and the capitol insurrectionists by saying that their motives were pure because they were following what they believed to be right. Which obviously is faulty reasoning. Ignorance of the law doesn't hold up in court. And if you are deceived and manipulated and you break the law, you are still guilty of breaking the law.
    Tying it all together with the Jeffrey Epstein conspiracies and blaming the whole thing on child-molesting Hollywood elites also felt a bit off. They tried to link it all together, but I don't think their linkage worked, and the joke didn't land. At all. It felt tacked on and honestly it felt more like Matt and Trey wanted to give a middle finger to their peers. It didn't really flow with the episode.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This was better than the pandemic episode, because Randy wasn't fucking here the whole time and Garrison is better, but both these specials haven't felt like it's actually Matt & Trey writing them. Everything about them feels just lazy and reeks of bad California comedy writers taking something that works once or twice (Walgreens club or build a bear) and just running them into the ground. If their hearts aren't in it anymore, and Trey still clearly has issues dealing with his divorce, just do a quick six episode season in a few months and hang it up or just move to the videogame stories. I don't want this to become Zombie South Park or modern superhero comics.

JvWqgMT.png

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    "Do you know what pedophilia is? Here, let me show you."
    "DAD!"

It's been a long time since anything has made me blow soda out my nose.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    "Do you know what pedophilia is? Here, let me show you."
    "DAD!"

It's been a long time since anything has made me blow soda out my nose.

"The Kids' Kommunity is a lie!"
    "*gasp* You mean it's spelled the regular way with a C?"

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    But overall the episode fell really flat for me. It felt like they wanted to send a message really badly, but they weren't sure what that message even was.

So...they absolutely haven't learned a damn thing these last two decades? Just continuing to ride feckless, apathetic nihilism to their (and everyone else's) graves?

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Were ya'll expecting Matt and Trey to grow up to be deep thinkers let alone liberals?

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Were ya'll expecting Matt and Trey to grow up to be deep thinkers let alone liberals?

Some people were hoping they would grow up at all.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The song at the end was the best part!

https://youtu.be/TfZPp3IF7os