As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Maybe the [NFL] isn't so bad...

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I think a lot of coaches are never given a fair shake. It takes more than 2 years to install an offense and a defense and get players that fit your scheme together yet we see a lot of guys come in and are gone after 2 bad years.

Then there is the issue with coach recycling. Teams passion around the same guy who had a year of success once and is now locked into having a job or just hiring from the same crop of assistants.

How many Belichick assistants need to fail before start realizing that they all suck as head coaches?

I mean shit... Its just a matter of time before Josh McDaniels gets another head coaching job.

I didn't like when we moved on from Caldwell and as bad as Patricia has been, I don't want him fired this year either. I think all coaches should be given at least 3 years to show some level of improvement. Everything is relative, Caldwell had better records, but he was also playing against in division teams like the Bears and Vikings that were worse than they are today (hard to believe with the Bears). There's always the chance if Caldwell had stayed we'd be just as bad.

While Patricia has been bad, our defense is lacking in talent. I think Bevell has done a great job with the offense. I mean we were somewhat competitive with the Cowboys with David Blough starting off the street. If we get a new coach, first who would we even get? Jason Garrett if he's fired? Mike McCarthy? Then we may have a new defensive coordinator and OC, which means players have to get up to speed with new systems again.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Philip Rivers has an advantage because his pale white skin reflects sunlight into the eyes of pass rushers.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I think a lot of coaches are never given a fair shake. It takes more than 2 years to install an offense and a defense and get players that fit your scheme together yet we see a lot of guys come in and are gone after 2 bad years.

Then there is the issue with coach recycling. Teams passion around the same guy who had a year of success once and is now locked into having a job or just hiring from the same crop of assistants.

How many Belichick assistants need to fail before start realizing that they all suck as head coaches?

I mean shit... Its just a matter of time before Josh McDaniels gets another head coaching job.

I didn't like when we moved on from Caldwell and as bad as Patricia has been, I don't want him fired this year either. I think all coaches should be given at least 3 years to show some level of improvement. Everything is relative, Caldwell had better records, but he was also playing against in division teams like the Bears and Vikings that were worse than they are today (hard to believe with the Bears). There's always the chance if Caldwell had stayed we'd be just as bad.

While Patricia has been bad, our defense is lacking in talent. I think Bevell has done a great job with the offense. I mean we were somewhat competitive with the Cowboys with David Blough starting off the street. If we get a new coach, first who would we even get? Jason Garrett if he's fired? Mike McCarthy? Then we may have a new defensive coordinator and OC, which means players have to get up to speed with new systems again.

I feel like there are a lot of coordinators who are good enough to hire who have been overlooked for black and white reasons

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah. He's old and has shitty receivers.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The one thing

No, the only thing I will say in Matt Patricia's defense, is if you look at Sean McDermott in Buffalo, last year they were 6-10, now they could theoretically be the first non-Patriots AFC-E winner since the 2008 Dolphins.

Patricia went into Detroit a year after McDermott went to Buffalo. So maybe he deserves one more year, especially since both his starter and back-up QB got injured?

Maybe.

Or not, idgaftbh

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yeah. He's old and has shitty receivers.

bill burr video

• Options
    edited December 2019
    44qoynvujzzn.png

Brady’s fine. Completion rate will be lower when you have to throw it away more because your receivers can’t get open or aren’t giant chunks of beef who will out-wrestle any defender to catch the pass.

Why yes I did make sure Daniel Jones was included in that screen shot

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i, uh, don't know where to scream this out loud but the goddamned news wants to interview me for a fluff piece because i am a seattle dragons season ticket holder

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    The one thing

No, the only thing I will say in Matt Patricia's defense, is if you look at Sean McDermott in Buffalo, last year they were 6-10, now they could theoretically be the first non-Patriots AFC-E winner since the 2008 Dolphins.

Patricia went into Detroit a year after McDermott went to Buffalo. So maybe he deserves one more year, especially since both his starter and back-up QB got injured?

Maybe.

Or not, idgaftbh

I've reached the point where I don't see the merit in firing a coach if you don't have a promising upgrade available. Otherwise you end up replacing Pat Shurmer with Rob Chudzinski followed by Mike Pettine, followed by Hue Jackson, finally leading you do Freddi Kitchens whom might not be better than any of his predecessors.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Butters wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    The one thing

Maybe.

Or not, idgaftbh

I've reached the point where I don't see the merit in firing a coach if you don't have a promising upgrade available. Otherwise you end up replacing Pat Shurmer with Rob Chudzinski followed by Mike Pettine, followed by Hue Jackson, finally leading you do Freddi Kitchens whom might not be better than any of his predecessors.

Someone really needs like a prop headset or play sheet with all the Browns failed coaches on it

Holy fuckballs, they’ve had 11 HCs in the last 20 years

And had 10 in the 49 seasons prior

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Also Kitchens has 33% more wins in 10 games than Hue had in 40 games

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The fun thing about Brady this year is that he was basically his normal self through the first three weeks and from week 4 on he's been Trubisky.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

It's weird how people keep on pointing this out like it's a point of pride to barely be surpassing a guy who was actively tanking for the future

Also noteworthy: they're more undisciplined now than they ever were with Hue. Not even getting into the Myles incident: with 99 currently, the team under Kitchens this year has already committed more penalties than Hue's entire 2016 there. With a full four games to go to get 12 more, it's safe to say they can surpass Hue's 2017 (110 penalties) too

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Kitchens is terrible and I’ve been calling for his firing since week 4

I honestly didn’t have an issue with Hue until year 3

My point wasn’t about Kitchens being better than Hue- most coaches, including several of the Browns former failures, would have far better records this season with such a talented roster- it was having a laugh at how bad the Browns have been

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Like those penalty numbers completely track for a team coached by a dude who was caught via fan selfie wearing a “Pittsburgh Started It” shirt

Kitchens can’t discipline anyone because he’s an undisciplined jackass himself.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    i, uh, don't know where to scream this out loud but the goddamned news wants to interview me for a fluff piece because i am a seattle dragons season ticket holder

Is it the local scam prevention guy/gal?

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options

My point wasn’t about Kitchens being better than Hue- most coaches, including several of the Browns former failures, would have far better records this season with such a talented roster- it was having a laugh at how bad the Browns have been

I am still curious why they get some questionable people for coaches as the browns even now seem like the place to go if you are a middle or such talented coach.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I am still curious why they get some questionable people for coaches as the browns even now seem like the place to go if you are a middle or such talented coach.

Jimmy Haslem, founder of the; "Flying J" Truck stops.

Between him and Mike Brown, or whomever the Bengals owner is, it's a race for, Ohio's worst owner.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Which station? This feels like a q13.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Jimmy Haslem, founder of the; "Flying J" Truck stops.

Between him and Mike Brown, or whomever the Bengals owner is, it's a race for, Ohio's worst owner.

Haslem is a “hero” in Columbus for buying the Crew to keep them from moving to Austin

The good news is he’s a silent co-owner while the family of the team doctor are the operating owners

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    What the fuck, I honestly had no idea the cowboys were playing tonight

God, thursday games are fucking dumb

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

Its ok apparently the cowboys forgot they were playing tonight as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Facemask and shoulder to the head of Cohen. Good job Boys

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Its ok apparently the cowboys forgot they were playing tonight as well.

I'm listening to the radio broadcast now and the cowboy's broadcaster just sounds so fucking done, it's great.

The one thing I unreservedly love about this team is getting to listen to Brad Sham's undisguised disgust whenever they play like shit.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    I have a bye in fantasy in all my leagues this week

Mostly for being top seed of the consolation bracket

• Options
    Honestly the best part about this game is that it took me seeing "Fire Garret" trending on twitter to figure out it was actually happening tonight.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

I only know because, as I noted earlier in the thread, I once heard the commercial tell me that fem boys are coming for the bears on 12/5.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    yeeeesssssss, keep making Trubisky look good, teams. I don't even want to imagine a Bear's team with that defense, Allen Robinson and a competent to good QB like Teddy Bridgewater next year. I need the team to think he's still worth starting next year haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    yeeeesssssss, keep making Trubisky look good, teams. I don't even want to imagine a Bear's team with that defense, Allen Robinson and a competent to good QB like Teddy Bridgewater next year. I need the team to think he's still worth starting next year haha.

Robert Mays' response after the game just about sums it up.

Carpy on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    It really is astonishing how thoroughly the NFC East has imploded this year.

• Options
    The Giants and Redskins were always going to be bad this year.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The Giants and Redskins were always going to be bad this year.

Yeah but at 2-2 they looked like "6 win team bad" not where they are now

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I need the Eagles to win the NFC East now

and the live feed of Jerry Jones throwing Jason Garrett off one of the giant TVs over the field

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

It's weird how people keep on pointing this out like it's a point of pride to barely be surpassing a guy who was actively tanking for the future

Also noteworthy: they're more undisciplined now than they ever were with Hue. Not even getting into the Myles incident: with 99 currently, the team under Kitchens this year has already committed more penalties than Hue's entire 2016 there. With a full four games to go to get 12 more, it's safe to say they can surpass Hue's 2017 (110 penalties) too

Continuing saga of The Browns under Kitchens continues

• Options
    Really compared to last season this season was an upgraded Hue browns. I know I keep pointing to the fact they need to get different people into coaching and away from trends. As well as stop the treadmill this overall ugly season is proof of that

• Options
    Depending on how much of Mayfield’s regression and Myles Garrett’s recent insanity you want to attribute to Kitchens, the blame goes:

Kitchens - 70%
    Mayfield - 20%
    Browns curse - 5%
    Haslem - 4%
    Injuries to secondary - 1%

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Once again lots of potentials, but the Crummy Game of the Week is...

Jets (4-8) vs Dolphins (3-9)

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It really is astonishing how thoroughly the NFC East has imploded this year.

Not really, they always suck but get the majority of the press coverage because of the TV markets they’re in.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.