As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Taken Space Cakes, Bakin' Taken Space Cakes

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    All characters up to 960 gear score, just in time for the 970 jump.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Two of the people in my fire team, including myself, are being blocked by heavy drops. We have failed.

I hail your success.

My season pass level is going to be mid 260s I imagine when I get reset. That'll be sad for me.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

Two of the people in my fire team, including myself, are being blocked by heavy drops. We have failed.

I hail your success.

My season pass level is going to be mid 260s I imagine when I get reset. That'll be sad for me.

I got my heavy early but I'm continuing to get fucked on armour drops. The raid just threw 5 energy weapons at me a few times because fuck me.

So all 3 characters are sitting at all 960 except for 2 armour slots.

shryke on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Hey so when running solo Hunter in Gambit, what are the best options to contribute to burning the Primeval down

I've been running Moebius arrows because they do pretty good damage, plus the double-time on Oppressive Void grenades is sick, but it does take a bit to get all the arrows out. Maybe Celestial GG would be more efficient? Or maybe Tether arrow would be better for the overall quick clearing of Envoys + adds

Idk, when solo, I want to be able to do everything (invade, stop invaders, clear waves, melt bosses) but I feel I come up short somewhere

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My loadout for Gambit is usually Blade Barrage, with either Sixth Coyote or Ophidia Spathe for add clearing melee/dodge roll combo. With the extra dodge or fan blades, it's easy to get a 3× stack of burning which helps with beefier enemies. I always have a melee or dodge up, especially with Paragon mods. For the envoys I usually either Telesto or Recluse, and Blade Barrage is a decent boss burn super and invading/anti-invader super. Tether is nice but I find the kit isn't great for add clear, usually. And Oppressive Darkness is going away soon anyways.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Finally got my forehand grip mod from banshee. Hush is even more fantastic now!

I will say that it's a real kick in the pants that there's no protection against dupes when you buy mods from Ada. I've gotten the same goddamn radar booster mod like 4 of my last 5 purchases from her.

And today's patch notes for next week say they're fixing Ada so she won't give duplicate mods. You're welcome, everyone.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    New Gunslinger knife looks damn cool:

Seems like they hugely increased the speed of the thing, so it's actually usable, but gave it a big windup with a neat animation to compensate. I'm hyped to give it a try.

Also, the other new knife:

Also I guess this, from completionist's sake:

Full notes and such here:
    https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/48534

Lots of good stuff imo. I think it's basically all good?

Cap going up by 10. Power cap is now 960, Pinnacle cap is 970.

Anarchy drop rate up from 5% to 10%.
    Xur's Exotic Engram now only gives armour if you have all the exotics. (I think that's what they meant)
    Escalation Protocol no longer has keys and shit. Just do Wave 7, get chest.

Cost of weapon mods down to 500.
    Some good fixes to various bounties (eg - the Do Strikes/Gambit/Crucible one Banshee sells is now just one bar that every activity fills up)
    Missile Titan super got a like 20% buff in damage.
    Bottom-tree Nightstalker's invisibility bomb now gives allies a 0.8s grace period where shooting doesn't break the invisibility so they have time to react to the effect and not just immediately break it.
    Handheld Supernova activation "should feel more consistent to activate" or something. (Any buff to warlocks in PvP is just and appropriate.)

Eververse specific:
    Now 80% of stuff in the store will be sold for Bright Dust, up from 50%.
    Every week they will tell us what items that are on sale for Silver that week will never be sold for bright dust.
    A bunch more bounties will award bright dust the way the Strike/Crucible/Gambit ones do now.
    Eververse store now doesn't let you buy anything you already have in collections, making that easier to keep track of.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That weighted knife looks fuckin' cool.

• FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Escalation Protocol no longer has keys and shit.

oh no

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    For the exotic Engram, it sounds like both random exotics and Xur’s fated engrams are the same thing in the drop tables and they will no longer give you duplicate weapons, only armor (and only after you have all random drop exotics), if I am understanding it correctly?

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I stockpiled like 6 keys and forgot to use them. Would be nice if I got something for them, but ehhhh. At least I’ll be able to easily complete my armor sets on my alts now without it taking 5 weeks

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    For the exotic Engram, it sounds like both random exotics and Xur’s fated engrams are the same thing in the drop tables and they will no longer give you duplicate weapons, only armor (and only after you have all random drop exotics), if I am understanding it correctly?

Looks that way. Might slow down the leveling ever so slightly as they won’t drop weapons anymore, but a worthwhile trade off.

Still would have preferred if masterworking just removed the elemental affinity, but this is at least a step in the right direction

Still have no idea why it takes 3 shards to MW though. It’s harder to get, doesn’t have a season mod slot, but somehow costs 3x the materials.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    From the section about things leaving on Tuesday.
    Eriana’s Vow catalyst quest*

*Please note that Eriana’s Vow and its catalyst quest will become obtainable through alternative acquisition paths in a future release.

Bless those guardians who never picked up the quest or bothered with it, and will randomly find the catalyst in a strike 6 months from now.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    ronzo wrote: »
    Iblis wrote: »

Looks that way. Might slow down the leveling ever so slightly as they won’t drop weapons anymore, but a worthwhile trade off.

Still would have preferred if masterworking just removed the elemental affinity, but this is at least a step in the right direction

Still have no idea why it takes 3 shards to MW though. It’s harder to get, doesn’t have a season mod slot, but somehow costs 3x the materials.

I believe it means that they still drop weapons and armor until you have every weapon (and armor), then from that point on they only drop armor.

Which is great, because repeat weapon drops are worthless. Repeat armor drops at least have a new affinity or better roll.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Can you get more than one small rice cake a week?

I believe you can get 1 per character per week.

This is true but with a caveat: the rabbits themselves aren't account-bound, so if you use the rice cakes on a different character, you'll also have to do that same rabbit on your other character in order to "collect 'em all"

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I’m on the Bergusia forge step for Izanagi. Is this also a rotating forge or some sort of quest step I’m missing/not seeing?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    I’m on the Bergusia forge step for Izanagi. Is this also a rotating forge or some sort of quest step I’m missing/not seeing?

Bergusia is in the 4-day rotation with the other 3 forges, yeah.

• taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    oh! What happened with the TWAB, im still at work so I didn't get a chance to look

Just finished the triumph for completing 30 Black Armory bounties. Not a single rare bounty yet.

Just finished the triumph for completing 30 Black Armory bounties. Not a single rare bounty yet.

The first week you could do that step and then Shattered Throne, I tried to get a rare BA bounty. I did every quest on 3 characters for 6 days and then gave up after getting nothing.

It took me 16 weeks to get Icebreaker in D1 Y3 so I don’t even know why I’m surprised anymore.

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I’ve gotten pretty good with the knife as is lately but I cannot wait for that update.

I already predict going back and forth between loving the new knife and also hating it in Comp where people with insane aim just dome me cross-map

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    After playing Iron Banner for the last week, dropping into Gambit last night was... eye opening. I now understand why people detest this mode because I simply was not having fun. I'm not accusing anyone of hacking but this one guy was super-hot with a sniper and would single shot my entire team -TWICE- on every invasion. No exaggeration, he had over 25 guardian kills in one game. It got to the point where I there was an alert that an enemy player was invading I would just sit down and wait.

I mean I get it that its' supposed to be a PvEvP mode, and I'm perfectly fine with other players being better than me. I'm even okay with matchmaker shenanigans when I get mis-ranked and end up geting absolutely curbstomped. But when a game mode allows you to do reasonably well for 5 minutes, followed by 30 seconds of absolute torture that undos all of your forward progress, and then goes "haha, just kidding you may continue now...". And then it happens again and again... when does that get fun? I'm just not seeing it.

Luckily there are plenty of other modes to play. I think I'm going to give Gambit a rest for a few weeks.

26904.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    After playing Iron Banner for the last week, dropping into Gambit last night was... eye opening. I now understand why people detest this mode because I simply was not having fun. I'm not accusing anyone of hacking but this one guy was super-hot with a sniper and would single shot my entire team -TWICE- on every invasion. No exaggeration, he had over 25 guardian kills in one game. It got to the point where I there was an alert that an enemy player was invading I would just sit down and wait.

I mean I get it that its' supposed to be a PvEvP mode, and I'm perfectly fine with other players being better than me. I'm even okay with matchmaker shenanigans when I get mis-ranked and end up geting absolutely curbstomped. But when a game mode allows you to do reasonably well for 5 minutes, followed by 30 seconds of absolute torture that undos all of your forward progress, and then goes "haha, just kidding you may continue now...". And then it happens again and again... when does that get fun? I'm just not seeing it.

Luckily there are plenty of other modes to play. I think I'm going to give Gambit a rest for a few weeks.

I haven't touched Gambit since Shadowkeep dropped and do not miss it one little bit.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    The thing is, it's REAL easy to be infuriatingly good in Gambit by invading. If you're even halfway decent with a single shot kill weapon (I always use Leviathan's Breath), and you've sharpened up in Crucible a bit, getting 3 or 4 guardian kills in every single Gambit invasion is a cakewalk. Literally the only time I struggle with it is when the other team goes HARD on the offensive when I invade. Anytime I get ignored, or they try to hide, it's an easy team wipe, but if they throw on heavies or pop a super and hunt me, it makes it very hard to get more than one kill.

That kind of effect really requires at least 2 people to go for me, though. And it's more effective if they know the invader spawn locations.

Invading is a bit too easy and always has been, but the alternative would be no wall hacks for the invader which might be a bit too tough. Still, I think invading is the one part of Gambit I really enjoy, the boss burn is usually just constant anxiety.

The real trick is playing in a team, solo Gambit is like slamming your dick in a drawer, but it's the drawer you keep fire ants, knives, and unbottled lemon juice in

Seriously how are randoms so bad in Gambit still, it's the number one reason I hate Prime because randoms can't do anything and you just watch the bank drain down to zero as they fall off the map holding 65 motes and the heavy they just stole from me or some shit for 10 mins straight, and I stare longingly at the invasion portal as a Titan stomps on my head, steals the invasion and dies instantly killing no one and allowing them to bank 1000 motes simultaneously and the meatball spawns and fucks my ghost

It would be nice if blueberries would make any attempt whatsoever to kill a single envoy before launching all of their heavy and supers into the primeval, but I guess that's too much to ask.

The only redeeming part about Gambit Prime with randoms is that it ends faster.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    therein lies the problem with invasions. with the right heavy weapon (hammerhead, thunderlord... Truth if you want to be especially cheap) or sniper and even a modicum of skill, defeating the enemy team is fairly simple. even just killing one or two of them can be a pretty big setback (for a short time at least), especially since most of the time you force the rest into hiding and doing nothing anyway.

if you're the one being invaded and you have nothing to really fight with, running and hiding is probably your safest bet which is like the least fun thing ever. even if the invader doesn't end up doing much overall, or you catch back up in motes, it's a major annoyance and not an exciting mechanic.

gambit overall is just a... solved game mode. either the invader wipes the team or dies instantly. the mote catchup means it's hard to keep a lead regardless, and then the primeval phase is just a quick burn. there's so little variation in strategy. prime tries to mix it up a bit, but at this point people don't often use the prime sets and who wants to bother farming reckoning to get any more anyway? at least prime is a bit faster.

gambit was kind of fun when it first came out. there weren't a lot of super overpowered heavy weapons. sleeper maybe, but it's not the most common heavy. then thunderlord came out and it was pretty much all over.

gambit is just a chore to try and do now and if it wasn't for the various pinnacle/relic weapons i'd never touch it,

Adus on
    edited December 2019
    I think a lot of my personal gripes could be solved by making maps less open so long range isn't so dominate, adding different bosses with different behaviors/weaknesses, and making separate queues for solo/team matches.

There should essentially be a solo queue for every mode, because there's nothing worse than getting matched against a premade team with randoms on your side, regardless of the game type. In Comp, it's almost suicidal to go in with a 2 stack rather than 3, because the enemy is almost guaranteed to be a 3 stack of gods. The matchmaking already makes very little sense in it's matchups, probably because the super duper sweaty players would just never find a game otherwise... I assume anyways

Local H Jay on
    The thing is that invading isn't dominant either. Maybe more now then it used to be, but especially pre-prime invading was actually too weak against real coordinated teams. Good teams would literally headshot you or shotgun you in the back the instant you spawn in to invade. 1v4 against a good team is no chance at all without wallhacks and even with wallhacks it was super super dicey.

Adding all the extra invader spawns has, I think, helped somewhat with that issue but it's still a very real other problem with the gamemode.

In the end I think it's just very difficult to balance the needs of PvE and PvP at the same time. And since they barely balance anything in the sandbox for the kind of maps you only see in Gambit, the invasion meta becomes really degenerate.

I'm honestly not sure what changes you need to make to smooth the invader part of the whole mode out. It's really core to the experience but it's also really hard to figure out.

The only real idea I have right now is I think they should slow down both the home teams ability to burn the boss and the invader's ability to heal it. One thing that was good about Gambit Prime imo was that the boss took a little longer and so you could get a little push and pull with the invader vs the boss burndown. I think it might feel better if there was less wild swings and it was more steady progress. You did less damage to the boss in one go, but the invader can only undo so much. So invading becomes more a way to slow you down to let the other team catch up rather then a complete negation of everything you've done. And maybe also each invasion wouldn't be so mission critical because you could flub one and not instantly lose.

Got a solo Pit of Heresy done tonight. I didn't get the flawless. Made it to the second chest encounter and died to the totem cause I was off the plate for just a second too long.

Christ soloing dungeons takes forever though, my god. The last boss in Pit especially is a fucking slog. He's not really that hard, it just takes forever and it's fucking repetitive. It's hard to get enough damage on him and then you gotta do the same boring "Kill the 3 minibosses" thing over and over and over and over again and my god I am so sick of using that stupid shitty no-damage sword.

Got my Harbinger title in the end at least though, since I'd gotten flawless already on a 3-man run.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Still need the damn Altars ghost for my title. Which character @shryke ?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    @Local H Jay You may be able to shake up your mod choices since Mobility will now be a Hunter class stat and will reduce dodge cooldown.

Per the Gambit discussion, getting invaded is my favorite part of it honestly. I love hunting down the invader and popping them before they take out any teammates.

"Local H Jay" You may be able to shake up your mod choices since Mobility will now be a Hunter class stat and will reduce dodge cooldown.

That's actually pretty cool, then I could run 2x Distribution and Super mods and become the scum I truly am

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I don't see how adding mobility to the already achievable cool down rates leads to anything besides hunters just functionally having unlimited dodge, all the time.

Well we are a very agile people.