As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TITANFALL 2 | The Frontier is Worth Every Part of This Fight! | EA buys Respawn

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    More Titanfall, but an "interesting twist" is what was also said.

Phone game commanding a lance of Titans, inc.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I honestly would be kinda down for a game that looked at the scale of the setting more.

Because like, Pilots are Jedi but as explicit military assets so playing a game where they weren't the default or we saw what longer operations for them look like would be neat.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Man, now you guys got me hoping for FrontTitan MissionFall.

Well Titanfall 3 certainly won't be late 2018 as they originally said, but at least it is indeed being made.

Also now they've got the BR genre out of their system, hopefully they can concentrate on a multiplayer mode that actually plays to TFs strengths.

That is to say giant robbit fights and angry squirrel mans.

That kinda goes against what Respawn has gone on record stating. From the article I posted 2 days ago:

Respawn Executive Producer Drew McCoy: "The world thinks we're making Titanfall 3 and we're not—this (Apex Legends) is what we're making."

You're behind. More went down in the stockholder presentation and now they've said more Titanfall.

Different sources are saying different things. Personally, I'll take the developer's statement over the publisher. Also, Respawn dude was specific in his mention of Titanfall 3 (which is what I was responding to)...EA's stockholder presentation was about as vague as it gets when they mentioned Titanfall. Kinda reminds me of them making more Command and Conquer stuff, which turned out to be C&C Rivals on mobile.

In other words, until somebody in Respawn specifically releases something (trailer, announcement, whatever) saying (or showing) "We're making Titanfall 3," I'll remain skeptical.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Titanfall single player game in the vein of the new Battletech game that ties into Apex databases to allow you to bet Titan Bucks on Apex Legends matches.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I doubt the “premium game in the Titanfall universe” is Titanfall 3, more than likely it’s just going to be something different using the setting. They did have a mobile strategy game, now they have a BR game, so I’m guessing an open world arpg FPS (Destiny like) or moba for their next Titanfall universe game.

nusu on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Well Titanfall 3 certainly won't be late 2018 as they originally said, but at least it is indeed being made.

Also now they've got the BR genre out of their system, hopefully they can concentrate on a multiplayer mode that actually plays to TFs strengths.

That kinda goes against what Respawn has gone on record stating. From the article I posted 2 days ago:

Respawn Executive Producer Drew McCoy: "The world thinks we're making Titanfall 3 and we're not—this (Apex Legends) is what we're making."

You're behind. More went down in the stockholder presentation and now they've said more Titanfall.

Different sources are saying different things. Personally, I'll take the developer's statement over the publisher. Also, Respawn dude was specific in his mention of Titanfall 3 (which is what I was responding to)...EA's stockholder presentation was about as vague as it gets when they mentioned Titanfall. Kinda reminds me of them making more Command and Conquer stuff, which turned out to be C&C Rivals on mobile.

In other words, until somebody in Respawn specifically releases something (trailer, announcement, whatever) saying (or showing) "We're making Titanfall 3," I'll remain skeptical.

Vince Zampella said on Twitter they were working on "more Titanfall for this year." He is THE developer, I'm not sure where you think this is questionable. It was stated elsewhere that it was a "premium game". It may be some kind of spinoff, but it's not some free to play mobile thing.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    nusu wrote: »
    I doubt the “premium game in the Titanfall universe” is Titanfall 3, more than likely it’s just going to be something different using the setting. They did have a mobile strategy game, now they have a BR game, so I’m guessing an open world arpg FPS (Destiny like) or moba for their next Titanfall universe game.

It'll probably be something boring like that but I'd throw all the money at a game that really goes nuts with the Titans in a giant stompy robot shooter. Pure mech games are weirdly niche though so that'll never happen.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png

Vince Zampella said on Twitter they were working on "more Titanfall for this year." He is THE developer, I'm not sure where you think this is questionable. It was stated elsewhere that it was a "premium game". It may be some kind of spinoff, but it's not some free to play mobile thing.

These statements do not contradict the previously stated position of "We're not working on Titanfall 3." There are premium mobile games. Also, Vince did not say "Titanfall 3 later this year," and while he is a developer, the guy I quoted is also a developer in Respawn, and he is on record saying "no Titanfall 3." I'm not sure why you're so adamant in linking "more Titanfall" and "premium" directly to meaning "Titanfall 3 is coming."

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    I’ll play pretty much anything Respawn wants to make right now. EA should just turn them into their Blizzard studio. Let them find genres that interest them and just refine and polish the hell out of them. And add giant mechs dropping from the sky. Prepare for Titanfall all the games.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I’ll play pretty much anything Respawn wants to make right now. EA should just turn them into their Blizzard studio. Let them find genres that interest them and just refine and polish the hell out of them. And add giant mechs dropping from the sky. Prepare for Titanfall all the games.

Madden 20. Replace the Tennessee Titans roster with actual titans. What could go wrong?

Arteen wrote: »

Madden 20. Replace the Tennessee Titans roster with actual titans. What could go wrong?

Possibly a...

...spiritual successor?

Be still my beating heart.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    There's a rumor that whatever "more Titanfall" means, it's likely some sort of VR thing in the Titanfall universe.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    A strategy game in this universe would be weird with resources, as this is basically a post scarcity civilization. A massive cavernous factory to make prefab buildings for multiple battle simulation rooms that can self destruct to get one person. Fabricating massive fighting mechs every few minutes to drop from orbit. Arena blood sport hosted by a mercenary company.

It’s a world where construction and production has far outstripped the human population. Relatively small skirmishes are vitally important. AI is still very limited but human minds can be uploaded into full body simulacrums. The singularity has been passed and it’s not enough, leading to conflict between the center of the human civilization and its outskirts.

VRXwDW7.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

These statements do not contradict the previously stated position of "We're not working on Titanfall 3." There are premium mobile games. Also, Vince did not say "Titanfall 3 later this year," and while he is a developer, the guy I quoted is also a developer in Respawn, and he is on record saying "no Titanfall 3." I'm not sure why you're so adamant in linking "more Titanfall" and "premium" directly to meaning "Titanfall 3 is coming."

I'm not adamant about it being Titanfall 3. Read what I wrote. It could be a spinoff. However, Vince is a savvy, veteran game dev. He would not be so foolish as to hype up a new, premium Titanfall game and mean "a mobile game." The VR suggestion above is logical, or a co-op only product maybe. You should also take the word of an exec over a random game dev.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    A strategy game in this universe would be weird with resources, as this is basically a post scarcity civilization. A massive cavernous factory to make prefab buildings for multiple battle simulation rooms that can self destruct to get one person. Fabricating massive fighting mechs every few minutes to drop from orbit. Arena blood sport hosted by a mercenary company.

It’s a world where construction and production has far outstripped the human population. Relatively small skirmishes are vitally important. AI is still very limited but human minds can be uploaded into full body simulacrums. The singularity has been passed and it’s not enough, leading to conflict between the center of the human civilization and its outskirts.

The big resource in Titanfall's universe seems to be key strategic stuff of 'we need this for whatevery reason' like fueling stations or just the raw time cost of travel vs the cost of holding a spot.

It's post scarcity in the sense that resources out strip human needs but not in the idea that industry has outstripped that need for resources.

I'm not adamant about it being Titanfall 3. Read what I wrote. It could be a spinoff. However, Vince is a savvy, veteran game dev. He would not be so foolish as to hype up a new, premium Titanfall game and mean "a mobile game." The VR suggestion above is logical, or a co-op only product maybe. You should also take the word of an exec over a random game dev.

Sounds like both of us were misreading each other.

Me: No Titanfall 3
    You: You're wrong, they said more Titanfall.
    Me: No Titanfall 3

My mistake for drawing the conclusion that your rebuttal was directed at my statement of "No Titanfall 3"

And, for the double-post, I just made myself sad.

For whatever reason, I had the itch to load up the first Titanfall. Popped into the multiplayer menu and say the worldwide population count.

Total: 50

That's broken up in the following game modes:

Attrition - 46
    Frontier Defense - 4

I mean, I know it's the middle of the day on a Thursday...but still. 50 people worldwide running Titanfall 1.

:cry:

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

For whatever reason, I had the itch to load up the first Titanfall. Popped into the multiplayer menu and say the worldwide population count.

Attrition - 46
    Frontier Defense - 4

I mean, I know it's the middle of the day on a Thursday...but still. 50 people worldwide running Titanfall 1.

I haven't had trouble getting myself games when I get on.

cB557 wrote: »

Attrition - 46
    Frontier Defense - 4

My main interest was popping in for a little FD. With 4 people worldwide playing that mode, it seemed I'd be in for a bit of a wait.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Titanfall single player game in the vein of the new Battletech game that ties into Apex databases to allow you to bet Titan Bucks on Apex Legends matches.
    Now I’m imagine a game like Battletech but where you have the option of having your Pilots eject and fighting on foot.

And now I want to play that game.

Attrition - 46
    Frontier Defense - 4

My main interest was popping in for a little FD. With 4 people worldwide playing that mode, it seemed I'd be in for a bit of a wait.
    Yeah, just saying you might have more luck at different hours. I matchmake with all playlists on, and I get a pretty healthy mix of playlists, so I think everyone being in Attrition when you checked wasn't representative. Though, what system are you on? That makes a difference.

Attrition - 46
    Frontier Defense - 4

Yeah, just saying you might have more luck at different hours. I matchmake with all playlists on, and I get a pretty healthy mix of playlists, so I think everyone being in Attrition when you checked wasn't representative. Though, what system are you on? That makes a difference.

PC. Even though I do have Titanfall 2 on console, trying to aim with thumbsticks just infuriates me.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Now I’m imagine a game like Battletech but where you have the option of having your Pilots eject and fighting on foot.

And now I want to play that game.

You’re in luck.

5gsowHm.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Man every time I try to play scorch I get the shit beaten out of me till I go back to legion. Which is a shame because scorch is be far the coolest looking.

I picked up Titanfall 2 for the 3rd time (this time on PC) and joined the PA clan. I'm still trying to decide if I should use kbam or keep going with the controller.

I picked up Titanfall 2 for the 3rd time (this time on PC) and joined the PA clan. I'm still trying to decide if I should use kbam or keep going with the controller.

Awesome! If you ever want to run some Frontier Defense, hit me up! Origin username in the sig.

Trying to get used to the controls on PC and I ended up back using a controller. Some early impressions of PC: Not sure if this was an in house PC dev job or external, but having to re-set my video settings every time I launch the game is kind of annoying. Also, since I'm learning the controls on PC, I'm making some mistakes and dying on the first mission (do not remember that from my PS4 playthroughs). The game then forces the whole intro to be replayed and it's not skippable. I've seen that intro a few times now, because why have the mission restart after you pick up the pilot helmet when you could force players to play from the game title card again?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I made this as I was getting ready for finals. I really hope we get a Titanfall 3 at some point, I want the mecha genre to come back to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_8KqjdKf4

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like it's a hell of a lot less that people don't want to buy mech games and mostly that the big publishers have largely decided that mech games are "out". The interest has always been there, but a good mech game is harder to make than shitting out the 53rd sequel to an FPS franchise.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Friendly reminder that Titanfall 2 is going to PS+ December 3rd, which hopefully means REINFORCEMENTS INBOUND.

Fired this up for some Attrition in anticipation of the hopefully incoming crowd. Felt good. Real good. Still my favourite FPS multiplayer experience.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Player base update: currently 10k+ on PSN.

Reinforcements have arrived!

ygPIJ.gif
    And here I am, unable to shoot worth a damn with thumbsticks...which frustrates me to no small degree. On PC, I can dang near solo hard carry a team of bots through a Normal Frontier Defense (depending on map, can even do it on Hard) with Scorch. On console...I consider a good game if I break into the top 3 on Easy >.<

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    It only took me seven years to figure out how my thumbs work! Seriously, as a PC gamer from way back (really way back!) moving over to console and using thumbsticks was brutal. I felt like a moron for at least two years before it even started to click. Without any exaggeration, I was playing something early on (like five years ago) at home and one friend walked right in front of me to site down and a different friend was like "Dude! You just walked right in from of him!" And the first guy turns and says with no remorse at all, "It can't make his aim any worse...". Implying that I might as well have well been playing blindfolded for all of the game progress I was making.

Today, I prefer playing on the console. Not because I'm so much better, but because age has made my eyes worse and wearing progressive bifocal lenses means that I can only see the computer monitor two-feet away from me if I tilt my head backwards to see through the bottom half of my glasses. Sitting on the couch and looking at a TV allows me to use the (much larger) top half of the lenses. And dealing with the lower accuracy is a welcome tradeoff to avoid a literal pain in the neck!

My point is that you should start using those thumbsticks now.

26904.png
    Saw 57k players online when I was playing today. Warms my little heart. Warms it right up.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I like this game because it is like Apex legends, except I can win sometimes.

I do not like this game because I can't read these maps worth a damn. I am constantly getting turned around and cannot figure out which side of the map is for my team and which is for theirs. Sometimes the game seems to spawn you on the "wrong" side of the map... and i'm not sure if that's a bug or a feature. Like maybe it is some kind of misguided attempt to avoid spawn camping? But if I don't even know which direction to retreat in, it is a pretty bad tradeoff.

Also I really wish the teams were bigger. Maybe some of the modes have bigger teams, but nobody plays those modes? I really miss team fortress 2 almost entirely because it was a proper 12v12 game.

And of course it would be nice if more folks actually played it.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    I like this game because it is like Apex legends, except I can win sometimes.

I do not like this game because I can't read these maps worth a damn. I am constantly getting turned around and cannot figure out which side of the map is for my team and which is for theirs. Sometimes the game seems to spawn you on the "wrong" side of the map... and i'm not sure if that's a bug or a feature. Like maybe it is some kind of misguided attempt to avoid spawn camping? But if I don't even know which direction to retreat in, it is a pretty bad tradeoff.

Also I really wish the teams were bigger. Maybe some of the modes have bigger teams, but nobody plays those modes? I really miss team fortress 2 almost entirely because it was a proper 12v12 game.

And of course it would be nice if more folks actually played it.
    Lots of multiplayer games don't have fixed sides of the map outside of modes like CTF or somesuch. TF2 just tries to spawn you close to teammates.

Spawns tend to shift as the battles move around the level.

A very underrated mode for Titanfall 2 is Frontier Defense, a 4-player co-op Horde mode with the ability to purchase traps and turrets and boosts between waves containing literal armies of everything from grunts to Titans types that aren't even in the main game. It's a blast, and shit can get super hairy on later waves and higher difficulties.

And of course, for anyone jumping in fresh to Titanfall 2 because of PS Plus, I can't recommend the single-player campaign enough. It's an amazing tutorial for multiplayer and an amazing campaign in its own right.

ygPIJ.gif
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, I've posted this elsewhere. IMO Titanfall 2 has (had?) the best single player campaign of any shooter _ever_ with That One Level really hitting the Super-hero fantasy button for me. (It sounds trite, but you'll know which one when you get there.) Honestly, in the 40+ years I've been playing video games, I've never felt more like a bad-ass in a video game. Highly recommended!!!!

I'm going to try to get some friends to the Frontier Defense with me this weekend, but it's a tough sell since my time zone doesn't align (really doesn't!) with them any longer and I haven't yet built a local group.

Stupid on

26904.png
    Spawns tend to shift as the battles move around the level.

A very underrated mode for Titanfall 2 is Frontier Defense, a 4-player co-op Horde mode with the ability to purchase traps and turrets and boosts between waves containing literal armies of everything from grunts to Titans types that aren't even in the main game. It's a blast, and shit can get super hairy on later waves and higher difficulties.

And of course, for anyone jumping in fresh to Titanfall 2 because of PS Plus, I can't recommend the single-player campaign enough. It's an amazing tutorial for multiplayer and an amazing campaign in its own right.

And this is the only multiplayer mode I will play. I'm too feckin' old to deal with PVP in this game...

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    PvP on PC at this point almost entirely consists of hopped up crack ninjas with a chip on their shoulder from not killing you enough. Maybe they'll do TF2 as a free game on Origin at some point and the playerbase can be watered down enough for me to dive back in, but as it stands the wait times and the absolute smeshing I receive puts me off.

Going forward I genuinely think of all future games that I want to be absolutely nailed, Titanfall 3 is right up there at the top. I don't know what they can do to improve on the formula of 2, but Jésus Chreesto I hope they do.

Whether Apex Legends will help or hinder them on that front remains to be seen. Hopefully they can use it as a marketing platform for whatever they come up with next and it doesn't just retain the playerbase they want to jump to TF3.