As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Brolo wrote: »
    I wonder if it's super high volumes of Lego hunters or if they also artificially reduce supply for these sales.

I imagine they had whatever the minimum number is allowed to advertise at that price was.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I wonder if it's super high volumes of Lego hunters or if they also artificially reduce supply for these sales.

I imagine they had whatever the minimum number is allowed to advertise at that price was.

They certainly don't burn through their entire stock on deals like this.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Yeah, they still have it at $800 from Amazon. At the very least, they should have done some kind of lottery system or something. As it stands, I think 100% of the units sold at this discount were to people who coded an auto-buy script and intend to resell on eBay or equivalent.

But it's no surprise that an incredible Black Friday deal ends up being too good to be true.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Yeah, they still have it at $800 from Amazon. At the very least, they should have done some kind of lottery system or something. As it stands, I think 100% of the units sold at this discount were to people who coded an auto-buy script and intend to resell on eBay or equivalent.

But it's no surprise that an incredible Black Friday deal ends up being too good to be true.

A lot of their good Black Friday lightening deals are attainable. I've gotten my share of them, mostly kitchen gear I've saved hundreds of dollars on over the years. But the nerd stuff like big Lego sets and some video game consoles tend to sell out much more quickly.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    welp I slept in an missed the Ninjago City deal, thats a bummer.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Amazon has Darth Vader's Castle for $52 off of retail (~$78) today. Given that this an Amazon exclusive, I don't think you'll find it this cheap again.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Amazon has Darth Vader's Castle for $52 off of retail (~$78) today. Given that this an Amazon exclusive, I don't think you'll find it this cheap again.

It actually was a Amazon early exclusive since they had it on the Lego shop site later on. It probably won't go cheaper and it is a neat set to get battle damaged Anakin and two Imperial Guards.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I was able to snag the French Bistro. Not the top of my list but I wanted it eventually.

I like to ART
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I've been building the Star Destroyer with my wife as a graduation present. I managed to snag the Millenium Falcon UCS from Amazon during the Black Friday deal and it arrived last night. Pondering how mad my wife would get if I finished the Star Destroyer without her so we could do the Falcon....

• Options
    How awesome is the Star Destroyer? I wanted it, but didn't get it since I have no space to display it properly. Congrats on getting the Falcon for your own and not to flip!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    How awesome is the Star Destroyer? I wanted it, but didn't get it since I have no space to display it properly. Congrats on getting the Falcon for your own and not to flip!

Yeah, I'd like to know about the new Star Destroyer as well. I was going to stay away from it since it is cosmetically identical to the original and much more expensive, so was thinking I'd give it a pass unless it is a fantastic build.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yeah, I'd like to know about the new Star Destroyer as well. I was going to stay away from it since it is cosmetically identical to the original and much more expensive, so was thinking I'd give it a pass unless it is a fantastic build.

TBB had a pretty in depth review of the new UCS Star Destroyer.
    Looks like an interesting build, largely "Build technic frame, build gray panels, attach panels to frame" for nearly 5000 pieces.
    https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/09/23/lego-star-wars-75252-ultimate-collector-series-imperial-star-destroyer-review/

It's just too big and too pricey for me. And maybe if I repeat that enough, I will stop wanting it.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well, I sucked in and bought the LEGO Mustang, plus a lighting kit, yesterday, even if it wasn't on sale.

Guess I'll have to build it.

Darn.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Lego Castle sets from 2009 to 2013 that I have listed for sale have all sold within a few days of posting with a lot of them going for more than what I paid for them. I am surprised. Maybe it's time for Lego to make some new Castle stuff.

And the UCS Millennium Falcon Fund is now over $800 so I am heading to the Lego store tomorrow to buy it.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Turkson wrote: »
    The Lego Castle sets from 2009 to 2013 that I have listed for sale have all sold within a few days of posting with a lot of them going for more than what I paid for them. I am surprised. Maybe it's time for Lego to make some new Castle stuff.

And the UCS Millennium Falcon Fund is now over $800 so I am heading to the Lego store tomorrow to buy it.

We had some sweet castle sets in the Elves series, but guess even that's a few years old at this point.

I'd love some classic style Castle series castles, but in the purple/green of the elves sets
    713ecEUGCKL._SX425_.jpg

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I never did fully complete my Nexo Knights collection. TBH I burned out on it, and that signaled the last time I went for massive Lego buys.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dangit, I thought that was going to be one of those small bag deals in the store.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    UCS Millennium Falcon bought! And because of my plastic addiction I also bought the UCS Batmobile.

UCS Star Destroyer Fund -$250/$700

oh h*ck
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I never did fully complete my Nexo Knights collection. TBH I burned out on it, and that signaled the last time I went for massive Lego buys.

I have bits of series mostly mechs I thought were neat

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I skipped the Garage and the Diner. I'm not skipping this one. Love it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I skipped the Garage and the Diner. I'm not skipping this one. Love it.

Same. The bookstore will fit perfectly between my movie theater and bank.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    As a book need, I think this is going to be .y first modular.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I do have to figure out what I'm going to do now though. I've been stockpiling pieces for an occult bookstore. Do I still go forward with creating my own or do I convert the innards of this one into the occult book shop.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    I do have to figure out what I'm going to do now though. I've been stockpiling pieces for an occult bookstore. Do I still go forward with creating my own or do I convert the innards of this one into the occult book shop.

BOTH. Actually I'd say take the pieces you were stockpiling and use those to convert this one.

Dang, that is one nifty looking set. I got the Diner for my wife and held myself back from the Garage... But this is dang tempting. I especially love the Autumn looking tree out front.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aw heck yis

We're several behind, have to expand the foundations so to speak. I wanna add some kinda shelf, to institute a Midgar tier to our Lego city

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Oh hey and it's another set of two half buildings!
    Super useful for me since my modular display case only holds 2.5 per shelf.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Having just bought the Parisian restaurant I think my modular self is going to stay decidedly European (Victorian?) moving forward.

I like to ART
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Both is clearly the correct answer, but I'm going to have to recommend you buy two of the bookstores and convert one of them to an occult bookstore while the other remains the classic normal bookstore, and then you can have their respective owners shooting dirty glares at each other as they compete for the book reading customers.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

Don't forget to cite your tweets! :p

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Both is clearly the correct answer, but I'm going to have to recommend you buy two of the bookstores and convert one of them to an occult bookstore while the other remains the classic normal bookstore, and then you can have their respective owners shooting dirty glares at each other as they compete for the book reading customers.

Aka, make one "The Shop Around the Corner" and the other "Ray's Occult Bookstore".

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    God I should really get the detective office first, right? Because that's gonna retire sooner...

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Man...

There are so many good modulars. Even the middling ones have something cool going on. I feel like I made a mistake buying the Grand Emporium and the Pet Shop years ago; if I didn't have any modulars, it's be so much easier to tell myself "well, that's not a thing I'm doing".

It's honestly not even the money, I can budget for that; I just literally don't have the space for all of these wonderful toys.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    God I should really get the detective office first, right? Because that's gonna retire sooner...

Got some bad news for you my friend...

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Wow, the bed in this modular is like the nicest, coziest bed I've ever seen.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Man...

There are so many good modulars. Even the middling ones have something cool going on. I feel like I made a mistake buying the Grand Emporium and the Pet Shop years ago; if I didn't have any modulars, it's be so much easier to tell myself "well, that's not a thing I'm doing".

It's honestly not even the money, I can budget for that; I just literally don't have the space for all of these wonderful toys.

I have the same problem as your last sentence. These are cool, but I just don't have the room in my house. It saddens me since I love some of them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Got some bad news for you my friend...

...what?! I swear there are older modulars that are still available!

• Options
    The don't always retire them in order.

I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.