As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Watching Thread of [The Walking Dead]

15678911»

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Starz or Netflix are the only two, outside of SyFy maybe, who might do that.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Anyone else still watching this season?

I think I'm just seeing it through out of the sunk cost fallacy, at this point.

This week's episode started with
    Michonne killing a zombie with a bat and then taking a long, horrified, extended look at the bloody bat as if to say "AM I NEGAN?", then dropping the bat to the ground where the camera stayed on the bat for like twenty more seconds.

The real monster all along was not the zombies, but the show's gross patronizing of the audience

Taximes on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Since someone else bumped the thread, I figured I'd add this in too...
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Anyone think HBO or someone will pick up the rights and reboot this? Give me short seasons that stick to the comic and I am happy.
    I'd say there's about a 0% chance of that. More likely is that somebody picks up the rights for film and/or it gets rebooted in 10 years.

You're all wrong. It'll be AMC!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-19/inside-amc-networks-plan-to-make-walking-dead-live-forever
    The company, which owns the popular zombie-apocalypse series, plans to produce multiple movies and new TV shows based on the graphic novels that spawned the series, according to people familiar with the plans. AMC has talked to several large media companies about partnering on the projects, which collectively could cost several hundred million dollars, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are still being worked out.

Ahahaha...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I stopped watching along about season 7.

I feel like there's only so much that can be done with the zombie-apocalypse genre in the first place and TWD tapped out long ago.

Now they're just repeating themselves.

RT800 on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I have the episodes piling up on the pvr but haven't watched yet.

I did however watch the full season of FTWD and kind of enjoyed it!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The spoilers for how Andrew Lincoln is leaving the show are so ridiculous that they sound unbelievable. If it wasn't TWD I'd think they were fake.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    We have the last few episodes on DVR, and I'm curious how Rick goes out. But after that I don't know if I'll keep watching. For me, no Rick or Carl means no TWD for some reason. I'd be excited if the show was being handed off to Carl.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    You uh, might like apparent direction after the next episode then.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I think the last few minutes of this episode just won me back?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    So, shit just got all weird

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The plans for the series that they're outlining on Talking Dead sound incredible. I'm in!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    The plans do sound interesting. The fact that Gimple is driving it though is a bit disheartening.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I liked how it went down. They've proven a soft reboot can really help a flagging show (Fear), and this looks like a combination of this + shifting it from a survival show to a colony show. I dig it.

I feel like it also gives longtime fans a spot to disengage without ragequitting the show.

The very end was pretty ridiculous, but you'd have to have a cold, black heart to not smile at it.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I've been disappointed in the show for awhile but I'll give 'em a chance to take it in a new direction, sure.
    The timeskip with Judith as a new lead and writing Rick "off the show" to lead some movies in mysterious helicopter land was a pretty creative solution to Andrew Lincoln leaving and Lauren Cohen taking a hiatus.

Plus it's basically a free pass to drop any characters or storylines they didn't know what to do with. "Uhhhhh yeah, they just left sometime between then and now."

Taximes on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So. I've been watching Kingdom with my girlfriend and I was wondering if TWD Season 9 was anything to finish up a series on instead of just stopping when the
    tiger died (Because what the fuck that tiger totally could have escaped...)
    I looked up some reviews and Season 9 is the best reviewed critically? Can anyone tell me how it fares with the time skip and the ever-looming casting spoiler for some of our main characters?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    So. I've been watching Kingdom with my girlfriend and I was wondering if TWD Season 9 was anything to finish up a series on instead of just stopping when the
    tiger died (Because what the fuck that tiger totally could have escaped...)
    I looked up some reviews and Season 9 is the best reviewed critically? Can anyone tell me how it fares with the time skip and the ever-looming casting spoiler for some of our main characters?

Its tough, knowing that they could be playing the season out with Chandler Riggs as Carl still being on the show. I feel like the show misses him more than Rick, to be honest.

But, once you accept that past decisions can't be undone, I think they've done an admirable job. The Whisperers could have been really stupid, and they've managed to make them kind of compelling. There has been significant attrition in the cast, and I can't say I'm particularly jazzed about any of the new people yet, but the writing is definitely better than its been in years. I'd say skip to the season 8 finale (maybe even the last 20 minutes or so) just to see how the Savior/Negan arc is wrapped up and give season 9 a whirl. If you don't find the show to be obnoxious in the first few episodes of season 9, then I think you'll be ok. Though be warned that there's a significant time-jump around episode 5 that shakes things up significantly. I don't think the writing quality dipped at all, but the characters/plots are substantially different.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAAAAAAAAVE like the shambler you are!

I finally jumped back in thanks to wanting some proper spooky for Halloween, and well... Season 8 was garbage. There's nothing new about that. Season 9 has been really good though, very entertaining, engaging, interesting plot threads. I just finished episode 5 and yeah... that was uh... hoo boy. Talk about a send off.

I mean first things first
    THERE IS NO FUCKING WAY that anyone, I don't care of it's Rick fucking Grimes, can pull themselves off of a metal rebar that impaled what looked like the kidney area, and go that far, for that long, without passing out from blood loss. He does doze in and out here and there, but is somehow conveniently woken up in time to save his own ass literally every time? Come on dude! That was incredibly silly.

...that being said. I loved the dream sequences, having past characters come back was awesome. Having him talk to Sasha on the field of dead was awesome. Having his friends show up to save him, only for it to be completely fake and a hallucination WOULD have been awesome. They really should have just let him blow up the bridge right then and there and then call it a day. The fact that his group came after and tried to save him before he did it kind of ruined the fake out. I was actually enjoying the episode until then.

Okay so he blows up the bridge and dies himself, cool. I mean he should have died one of the other 5 scenes this episode, but okay. At least he's dead and we can time jump now right? ...wait... who's that on the river bank? ...Are you, are you serious? HE LIVES!? THEY WRITE HIM OFF, AND HE LIVES!?

I just, I gotta hand it to them. That was a creative as hell episode, and they were clearly having fun writing it. Completely balls to the wall throws realism out the window, but my hat is off.

And then the ending was a decent setup for the rest of the show, so I guess I'm still in it.

• Options
    So yeah, sticking with it and catching up still. 12 episodes into Season 9 and I really gotta agree, TWD is the best it's been in a long long time. Which is really remarkable considering past decisions. The Whisperers are crazy interesting and threatening compared to Negan.
    THEY'VE KILLED JESUS! He was my favorite character and they did him dirty. He was pulling some crazy ninja shit and let his guard down for the reveal, and it was actually really good writing wise.

Other than that sad business, I think I'm back to liking the show again. Gonna finish out S9 on Netflix and see if I can find the first half of S10 online somewhere.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Duuuuuude, S9's ending episodes. Holy shit. Just brutal. I didn't read this far into the comics so I'm digging it a lot. Makes me want to start reading the comics again. (If my Santee is snoopin' :wink: ) I'm thinking about picking up the 15 year anniversary compendium collection and #4.

Looks like S10 keeps the quality up looking at the critical reception. Excited to see where it goes from S9.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    So the year and a half-ish backlog on my PVR really should get watched?

Last thing I remember, they "stole" a wagon and a plow from a museum to copy (brilliant, BTW)... and then had some issues building a bridge with some former Negan soldiers. Oh, and the priest got some action. So, you know...good for him.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    So the year and a half-ish backlog on my PVR really should get watched?

Last thing I remember, they "stole" a wagon and a plow from a museum to copy (brilliant, BTW)... and then had some issues building a bridge with some former Negan soldiers. Oh, and the priest got some action. So, you know...good for him.

Yeah like, I think Slortex was right. S9 was miles ahead of Season 7 or 8. Some shit goes down and it's genuinely frightening and makes you care about the characters. There's still a few classic missteps, and the pacing of the season makes a hard stop some odd episodes in before picking back up again, but it's interesting to see what the new lead is doing with characters we are very familiar with in a much needed different setting. Most of all it works.

• Options
    I still think the show is more or less awful. I kind of feel that the newest season has been more or less aimless. I think they've now said there will be an end to the show so that might give them some guidance.

• Options
    I wonder what T Dog is doing these days....

Oh, so things are going...well...