As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Florida woman buys baby bouncer, gets a gun instead
    She found a Baby Einstein's bouncer that was unopened and appeared to be brand new for about NZ$14.
    Inside the box sat a semi-automatic rifle.

QJ2LQTF7ZRDWDCCIB5RYPI3UM4.jpg

Baby's first Mossberg 715T semi-automatic rifle.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    ..how would that fit in the box?

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Like this, maybe:

002.jpg

Personally I feel like I would start documenting the surprise gun in photos before assembling it and opening all the ammo packages, but what the fuck do I know.

Edit: "what do I know" isn't really even a joke. If that were a surprise PS4 in the box I'd have it hooked up to the wifi before anyone could get a picture for posterity, so there might be an enthusiasm gap here that needs accounting for.

Hevach on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    “Florida woman”

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    See, now I'm just imagining that conversation in Homer Simpson's head:

"A gun? Aww, I wanted a baby chair!"
    "A gun can get you many baby chairs."
    "Explain how."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Don't really see the gone right there unless you are a gun enthusiast

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Like here's a bad news gone right:

Bad news: Papa John's founder is a loud insane racist and general dirtbag.

Gone right: His fortune is getting broken up because his wife is fed up with his bullshit and they're getting divorced.

Good for her. She deserves better than a guy who seems to have been constructed in the same evil human melting candle factory as Steve Bannon.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    How did a Florida woman get her hands on NZ currency?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades

Her child isn’t going to be subjected to pseudoscientific quackery in an effort to make it “smart” before it’s even potty trained.

And she’s only out NZ$14

knitdan wrote: »
    How did a Florida woman get her hands on NZ currency?

Much less spend it at a local Goodwill?

This wasn't the original article, it seems to be getting more traction in other countries than here because it's being used as an absurd example of American gun culture that a gun was A. Stored in a baby you box, B. Donated unnoticed, C. And the recipient was excited to get it.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/12/04/military-couple-shocked-to-find-a-loaded-gun-inside-the-baby-shower-present-they-purchased-at-goodwill/

More local article. Price was $10 US.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Like this, maybe:

002.jpg

Personally I feel like I would start documenting the surprise gun in photos before assembling it and opening all the ammo packages, but what the fuck do I know.

Edit: "what do I know" isn't really even a joke. If that were a surprise PS4 in the box I'd have it hooked up to the wifi before anyone could get a picture for posterity, so there might be an enthusiasm gap here that needs accounting for.

To be able to assemble the rifle from that state takes some tools and a vice clamp IIRC barring some sort of really specialized non-standard parts.

If the rifle had been broken down into the upper and lower portions as can be done with just a hammer and a punch the upper portion might barely fit into the box on a diagonal since the stock is attached to the lower. It still would have taken some assembly though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Seriously, where's the gone right? The massive seaweed blooms around the world including the Sargassum belt that stretches across the entire Atlantic are signs of screwed up oceanic chemistries (the super-high and growing levels of CO2 for starters). It's another snowpile in the growing avalanche of our total biosphere collapse via climate catastrophe.

I may have an answer, but it depends on a question: Is this type of seaweed edible?

Generally no. Most climate change related blooms (algae, plankton, jellyfish, whatever) are nasty stuff that's normally kept under control because more complex life easily outcompetes it for resources, but that more complex life requires a better balance of inputs, where the nasty stuff can thrive with a couple otherwise key nutrients missing or in oxygen starved water or in extreme temperatures.

Jellyfish are often edible, they just aren't on Western menus or even most Asian ones. There have been some calls to change that to help put a dent in the blooms but it hasn't happened yet obviously. Unlike something like snakehead fish though, there are established preparations for the creatures (and Aristotle mentioned a soup with them that was consumed in the winter). A cold appetizer made from the bodies sliced thin and the arms mixed with garlic and some other stuff was a favorite of my family when eating at some Chinese restaurants. This is a more seasoned version of that style of dish.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Her child isn’t going to be subjected to pseudoscientific quackery in an effort to make it “smart” before it’s even potty trained.

And she’s only out NZ$14

That is... one interpretation of a baby bouncer I guess lol

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    More of the brand. Baby Einstein has made some super extra dubious claims about their products for years, and changed their English, Spanish, and French websites to settle false advertisement claims, though their Chinese version still claims that just watching their videos increases speech and vocabulary, artistic ability, IQ, and immune system exponentially.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    More of the brand. Baby Einstein has made some super extra dubious claims about their products for years, and changed their English, Spanish, and French websites to settle false advertisement claims, though their Chinese version still claims that just watching their videos increases speech and vocabulary, artistic ability, IQ, and immune system exponentially.

Ahh, did not know that. That's makes more sense, thanks lol

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    ..how would that fit in the box?

I think the gun is on a table, the box is on the floor behind it, and therefore bigger than it looks.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Ahh, did not know that. That's makes more sense, thanks lol

"Our products make your baby smarter" is literally their entire brand. It's why they are called Baby Einstein. That was their whole schtick. They've branched out into a general baby product/toy company over the years it seems but you can still see a lot of that kind of design in all their products.

It just turned out that their products were often actually detrimental to good childhood development. Because children just shouldn't be watching TV at all.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Bad News: Sacred Dakota peace pipe carved by chief White Dog goes on auction ignoring the tribes complaints.

Gone Right: The anonymous bidder is returning it to the tribe. And he or she bidded almost $40k when it was expected to go for $15k-$20k to make sure they got it.

steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Bad News: Sacred Dakota peace pipe carved by chief White Dog goes on auction ignoring the tribes complaints.

Gone Right: The anonymous bidder is returning it to the tribe. And he or she bidded almost $40k when it was expected to go for $15k-$20k to make sure they got it.

Does the tribe not trust White Dog's judgement on whether people outside the tribe should get to possess it?

edited December 2019
    It was “gifted” to a US Cavalryman while White Dog was a captor in the 1860s. White Dog was subsequently “executed” (i.e. murdered by the state) along with several other Native leaders.

knitdan on
    It was “gifted” to a US Cavalryman while White Dog was a captor in the 1860s. White Dog was subsequently “executed” (i.e. murdered by the state) along with several other Native leaders.

Which is shitty in general, but the pipe itself was created in prison and the article implies that it was created with the intent of being given away rather than being kept for personal use. I can't see any kind of claim of ownership there. If you have a source that claims otherwise, I will immediately believe it without question.

edited December 2019
    The point is, it’s a relic of a culture that holds high historical significance to the descendants of that culture.

It shouldn’t be kept by some random white dude just because their great great great grandfather was a pony soldier.

And we can’t really know what White Dog’s intentions were in creating the pipe, because all we have to go on is the word of one of his kidnapper-murderers.

knitdan on
    edited December 2019
    I'll admit that I'm arguing from a position of having incomplete information. Time for a bit of research.

edit: Looks like there is existing documentation supporting that the pipe was stolen, egregiously enough that the thief had to give it up afterwards. Yeah, that'd definitely qualify as something that should have been returned long ago.

jothki on
    I’m just going off what was in the article. But I admit I’m giving it a far less favorable reading than others might.

Like even if the story that White Dog gifted it to the soldier as a gesture of peace is correct, I’d argue that it’s superseded by the subsequent murder of White Dog and his fellow prisoners.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Meet the criminal turducken: a meth lab in a rehab clinic in a former brothel:
    A year later, its doors are shuttered once again — this time by police crime scene tape, in the wake of detectives uncovering an alleged meth lab during a raid on the premises yesterday.

Two men aged, 56 and 61, appeared in court today charged with drug and weapons offences. A 52-year-old woman was released and is expected to be charged on summons.

When the Wellbeing Planet opened its doors as a drug rehabilitation clinic last year, nearby residents were invited in to take a look — and were stunned to find little had changed other than the name.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Like this, maybe:

002.jpg

Except the riffle is clearly assembled in the woman's picture. That answer just brings up more questions. How far along the assembly of the riffle did she get before she realized it wasn't a baby bouncer after all? How weird is the assembly instruction leaflet that came with this thing that it could make sense for both a bouncer and a riffle?

sig.gif
    edited December 2019
    Richy wrote: »
    Like this, maybe:

002.jpg

Except the riffle is clearly assembled in the woman's picture. That answer just brings up more questions. How far along the assembly of the riffle did she get before she realized it wasn't a baby bouncer after all? How weird is the assembly instruction leaflet that came with this thing that it could make sense for both a bouncer and a riffle?

Her husband immediately got excited and yelled, "You got me a gun!" upon seeing it. They knew what it was right away and at least one person in the room thought it was awesome and not at all unusual for a baby shower gift.

Hevach on
    Richy wrote: »
    Like this, maybe:

002.jpg

Her husband immediately got excited and yelled, "You got me a gun!" upon seeing it. They knew what it was right away and at least one person in the room thought it was awesome and not at all unusual for a baby shower gift.

They are in Florida.

Steam Profile
    In response to neighbors being uptight, one KC resident took "deck the halls" in a decidedly different direction:
    Questions have been surrounding the monstrosity sitting on one family's roof formed by 60 feet of lights. Could it be a guitar? Maybe a funky sleigh?

"The neighborhood's kind of, like, vibe's kind of gone down 'cause everyone's kind of uptight," creator Shelby Gash said. "So it's more of a, kind of, orneriness."

We asked the 24-year-old what it is.

"A giant glowing d**k," Shelby responded.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    What makes it better is that this is in Johnson County.

Nitsua wrote: »

And was created by one Ms. Gash.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    In response to neighbors being uptight, one KC resident took "deck the halls" in a decidedly different direction:
    Questions have been surrounding the monstrosity sitting on one family's roof formed by 60 feet of lights. Could it be a guitar? Maybe a funky sleigh?

"The neighborhood's kind of, like, vibe's kind of gone down 'cause everyone's kind of uptight," creator Shelby Gash said. "So it's more of a, kind of, orneriness."

The news report seems to blur out the ballsack but leave the shaft and head in full view.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The news report seems to blur out the ballsack but leave the shaft and head in full view.

My time on the internet tells me all you need to censor a penis is a black rectangle on the tip.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I just laugh that it has to be censored at all. Kinda like when South Park reruns blur out the 'nudity'

Nudity anyone could expertly recreate by drawing a capital U

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Uh Tobes, let's keep this forum PG-13

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

And was created by one Ms. Gash.

Oh my god her delight when she says "A giant glowing cock" may have broken me because I can't stop laughing.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    You mess with the kraken, you get the tentacles

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    That octopus won that eagle fair and square, you give him back.

This discussion has been closed.