As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    10k to move a family isn't that ridiculous. Moving is expensive

Memphis is a three and a half hour drive from Nashville

Like I don't know how big the family is but that's just not 11.5k of expenses unless you're paying off the remainder of a lease you're breaking or something

First and last months rent will be at least 4k alone for a 4 bedroom if you dont meet income requirements. More likely its 6 after application fees animal fees etc. Then youve got utilities... movers...

It can easily be 11.5k

wbBv3fj.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I laughed a lot because as a college student I had $11,500 just sitting around that I could donate and you know that the NCAA will investigate where he got the money.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    10k to move a family isn't that ridiculous. Moving is expensive

It seems pretty normal to me. Moving inside the same city for my mom cost almost 3k. Moving out of state would have bumped that to 8-10k easy. It all depends how much stuff you have and if you can/will pack and move stuff yourself.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I laughed a lot because as a college student I had $11,500 just sitting around that I could donate and you know that the NCAA will investigate where he got the money.

is there a charity organization for people who've been fucked by the NCAA?

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

is there a charity organization for people who've been fucked by the NCAA?

Possibly, but if he took the money the NCAA would probably just rule him ineligible for that.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is he able to do a GoFundMe

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Nope, Jay Williams and others already looked into that. The player has to pay himself, and any payment plan has to be finished before he leaves school.

I think he should just throw up two middle fingers and start preparing for the draft. Fuck the NCAA.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Good thing collage athletes are well paid for the things that they do.

steam_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The worst part is that it was a loan and he already paid back the loan so... the benefit of the loan was 11.5k? To him directly? And not his family that moved? The absolute fuck?

wbBv3fj.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    If I was in Penny Hardaway's position I would be hard pressed not to just say "Fuck the NCAA" and play James Wiseman anyway. Assuming his team, their parents, and the school administrators supported it, at least.

Make a gigantic stink, hopefully have a record the would have merited a tourney invite, then go win the NIT. All the way continuing to show the NCAA for the trash monsters they are

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    He should pull and Urban Meyer and just go pro.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    E: Sorry, in my..excitement, I mistook this for a more general NCAA thread.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    One of the Regents at Michigan (out of 8) is publicly lobbying for NIL rights for players. Usually their business is handled behind closed doors so that's probably a majority position on the board, but can't say for sure.

This probably has absolutely nothing to do with the widespread belief that Ohio State pays its players and Michigan does not.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    OSU players all have an implied “retirement” plan- getting paid to talk about sports on radio or tv

I would gladly listen to Desmond over toxic-masculinity-incarnate Laurinaitis though

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    No surprise but the NCAA is now pushing the feds hard to adopt a federal rule that would overwrite the states versions that are more lax. Reading the ESPN article it was kind of nice to see our legislators siding against the large "corporate" entity for once.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    No surprise but the NCAA is now pushing the feds hard to adopt a federal rule that would overwrite the states versions that are more lax. Reading the ESPN article it was kind of nice to see our legislators siding against the large "corporate" entity for once.

But states' rights!

Trajan45 wrote: »

I would love and kind of expect this to just become a federal law that kills the ncaa

I know at least a couple Regents at Michigan and the athletic director came out in favor of athletes having name and image rights. Which makes sense beyond being the right thing to do as god knows it would help Michigan athletics if our alums could give sweetheart deals to kids for coming here.

I know at least a couple Regents at Michigan and the athletic director came out in favor of athletes having name and image rights. Which makes sense beyond being the right thing to do as god knows it would help Michigan athletics if our alums could give sweetheart deals to kids for coming here.

The free market demands it in fact!!!

edited February 2020
    Big Ten schools have proposed that the NCAA gets slightly less shitty and no longer requires football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, and men's hockey players to sit out a year after they transfer. Every other sport gets a one time free transfer, they want it to apply to the five sports people care about (apologies to softball and volleyball which do OK for themselves).

enlightenedbum on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Big Ten schools have proposed that the NCAA gets slightly less shitty and no longer requires football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, and men's hockey players to sit out a year after they transfer. Every other sport gets a one time free transfer, they want it to apply to the five sports people care about (apologies to softball and volleyball which do OK for themselves).

I feel like there's no way the football powerhouses in the south are going to go along with that, it removes another one of the ways they force players to sit on the bench while they stack positions 4 deep.

Dark_Side on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I feel like there's no way the football powerhouses in the south are going to go along with that, it removes another one of the ways they force players to sit on the bench while they stack positions 4 deep.

Nah, it makes the powerhouse's life much easier. Have a weak spot? Just try to poach the top guy from a lesser school.

LSU proved that This Is The Way

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Emmert realizes that being seen as the villain during a pandemic would be...detrimental to the NCAA, allows college players to raise money for charity:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    NCAA is giving spring sport athletes whose seasons were cancelled almost entirely an extra year of eligibility and allowing teams to break roster limits.
    The waivers will be applied for student-athletes competing in spring sports: baseball, softball, tennis, golf, outdoor track and field, lacrosse, rowing, men's volleyball, beach volleyball and women's water polo. The decision does not include winter sports like basketball, hockey, swimming and diving, and gymnastics.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The NCAA: dragged kicking and screaming into a marginally positive (and maddeningly obvious) choice.

Harbaugh's proposing some changes to football eligibility rules:

1) Asking the NFL to change their rules about draft eligibility to whenever a player feels they're ready.
    2) Asking the NCAA to change their rules to allow players who are not drafted and do not want to sign an undrafted free agent contract to return to school.
    3) Allowing players to consult with agents/lawyers about said process without losing eligibility. Signing with an agent is still not allowed in this proposal, but a step in the right direction.
    4) Colleges would be responsible for paying for the education of players even if they leave early, on a pro-rated basis. A player who left after their first year would get one extra year for free, after 2 or 3 years they would get 2 extra years of tuition, and four years would get one. This could be redeemed after the player's NFL career was over.

This all seems reasonable to me, though not quite far enough.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

1) Asking the NFL to change their rules about draft eligibility to whenever a player feels they're ready.
    2) Asking the NCAA to change their rules to allow players who are not drafted and do not want to sign an undrafted free agent contract to return to school.
    3) Allowing players to consult with agents/lawyers about said process without losing eligibility. Signing with an agent is still not allowed in this proposal, but a step in the right direction.
    4) Colleges would be responsible for paying for the education of players even if they leave early, on a pro-rated basis. A player who left after their first year would get one extra year for free, after 2 or 3 years they would get 2 extra years of tuition, and four years would get one. This could be redeemed after the player's NFL career was over.

I thought the agent restrictions were already knocked down on the denial of counsel grounds.

edited May 2020

Once again, a reminder that the NCAA's restrictions on agents are literally illegal:
    But for the next 15 months, Johnson directed his litigation against the two NCAA bylaws at issue. Judge Tygh M. Tone, of Erie County, came to share his outrage. On February 12, 2009, Tone struck down the ban on lawyers negotiating for student-athletes as a capricious, exploitative attempt by a private association to “dictate to an attorney where, what, how, or when he should represent his client,” violating accepted legal practice in every state. He also struck down the NCAA’s restitution rule as an intimidation that attempted to supersede the judicial system. Finally, Judge Tone ordered the NCAA to reinstate Oliver’s eligibility at Oklahoma State for his junior season, which started several days later.

Edit: Also, come 2023, restrictions against signing with agents will be black letter law illegal in California.

AngelHedgie on
    kaid wrote: »

I thought the agent restrictions were already knocked down on the denial of counsel grounds.

They were, but the NCAA found a way to weasel out of the ruling by burying the plaintiff in paper during the damages phase, getting them to agree to a deal which rendered the ruling moot. (This is why Jeff Kessler did not request damages in his suit against the NCAA - no damages phase meant one less way the NCAA could game things.) But the judge's reasoning remains sound, and the NCAA would very likely lose a lawsuit on agent restrictions - but their control over college sports makes such a suit a Phyrric endeavor for the athlete involved.

He’s had some dumb moments about transfers and dudes leaving the team, but he’s usually one of the best when it comes to looking out for players

He’s had some dumb moments about transfers and dudes leaving the team, but he’s usually one of the best when it comes to looking out for players

Which is a very low bar in the NCAA, and point 3 is half a loaf gooseshit that he's pushing because he can see the tide turning, and he's hoping we don't.

The NCAA restores the eligibility of ASU punter Michael Turk after he failed to be drafted:
    Turk, a first-team All-Pac-12 selection as a redshirt sophomore in 2019, made headlines at the combine in February, where he put up an astonishing 25 repetitions on the bench press but didn't have a convincing showing while punting. He was hoping to bounce back with better performances at the school's pro day and subsequent individual workouts for NFL teams, but the coronavirus pandemic prevented those opportunities from happening.

When he didn't land on an NFL roster, Turk, the nephew of former NFL punter Matt Turk, requested assistance from Arizona State to draft an appeal to have his eligibility restored, citing the impact of the pandemic on his ability to showcase his ability to scouts, a school spokesman said.

It was a shot in the dark, but the NCAA informed Turk and ASU this week the appeal was granted. It is unknown if other college players have filed similar appeals or if others similarly affected will try to follow suit. Turk did not receive any money from his agent, a school spokesman said.

While they're citing COVID-19 as the cause of the NCAA making this move, I'm also left wondering if part of it is because the NCAA is slowly realizing how little support their policies actually have.

That is shockingly unshitty. Did something get in the water in Indianapolis?

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Tear gas?

I think it was realizing that he's from an NFL family (so he's going to have family experience with agents) and that he's in a "nothing to lose" position (his NFL hopes are functionally dead at this moment, so the NCAA can't hold that threat over his head), which means he could sue them over rules they've lost in a court of law over, and this time make the ruling stick.

If there is one thing the NCAA is good at, it's self-preservation.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Florida raised the timetable to next Summer which is good. Look for the NCAA to double down on trying to get a watered down policy on the books for the feds before that.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Florida raised the timetable to next Summer which is good. Look for the NCAA to double down on trying to get a watered down policy on the books for the feds before that.

Given the current standoff in Congress - good luck with that.

Also, there's a new antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA:
    The NCAA and, more recently, the Power Five conferences have begged Congress for an antitrust exemption based on numerous prior lawsuits that have allegedly served to drain their resources. A new 95-page complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California may add fuel to their fire, even though legislators like Representative Anthony Gonzalez have made it clear that they are not in favor of providing the NCAA the type of blanket relief requested.

The action was brought by Arizona State swimming and diving team member Grant House and Oregon women’s basketball player Sedona Price, who are represented by law firm Hagens Berman. They claim that the NCAA and Power Five conferences have violated federal antitrust laws by prohibiting college athletes from receiving any consideration in exchange for the use of their names, images, and likenesses (NIL).

If the NCAA was smart, they would start dismantling their NIL rules now. But as we know, the NCAA is not smart.

edited August 2020
    A new paper bluntly lays out how the NCAA extracts wealth from largely black athletes, and funnels it to mostly white administrators, coaches, and other staff:
    In the new study, How the NCAA’s Empire Robs Predominantly Black Athletes of Billions in Generational Wealth, Drexel University Professor and Athletic Administration Concentration Program Director, Ellen Staurowsky, breaks down the estimated transfer of wealth from athletes in college football and basketball to their coaches, athletic directors and conference directors. The study has lifted the veil on the fiscal value associated with being a male Division 1 student athlete.

Eyes are being opened over the revelations: We can finally see the dollar amounts associated with the collateral damage of not paying college athletes, especially those not destined for the pros, their fair share of the multi-billion-dollar pie, especially those not destined for the pros.

It was never a matter of if college athlete exploitation was going on in the NCAA, it was a matter of by how much in this corrosive structure. And the upshot is it is robbing these athletes, the majority of whom are men of color, of the potential for generational wealth — wealth they helped bring about, but instead went into the pockets of predominantly white coaches, administrators and commissioners.

“Shortly after the death of George Floyd at the hands of police officers in Minneapolis, NCAA president Mark Emmert issued a statement decrying the continuing existence of racial inequality and injustice in America,” Staurowsky stated at the introduction of the study. “The truth that the leadership of the NCAA and college conferences cannot escape, however, and must come to terms with, is the fact that the college sports industry is built on racial inequality and injustice.”
    Over 2017-2020, Staurowsky found that, after accounting for the value of scholarships, at least 10 billion dollars in generational wealth was transferred from college football and basketball athletes to the salaries of their coaches and administrators. The figures she came up with were based on a 47 percent and 50 percent revenue sharing model utilized by the NFL and NBA fair market collective bargaining agreements, respectively. Staurowsky estimated what an average worth of each player would be based on the information each University is required to report via the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA) for the academic year 2018-2019 and on the 47/50 percent revenue share model.

Turning the page to the racial demographics of coaches and administrators, 82 percent of head football coaches and 69 percent of head basketball coaches are white men. Chancellors and presidents are 80 percent white and athletic directors and associate ADs are 79 and 84 percent white, respectively.

Not included in this data are the five salaries of the Power Five conference commissioners during the study’s span 2017-2019. Their salaries are below.

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany - $5.5 million
    PAC-12 Commissioner Larry Scott - $5.2 million
    Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby - $4.1 million
    ACC Commissioner John Swofford - $3.5 million
    SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey - around $2 million
    All five of these commissioners are white men. The head coach’s average annual salary at these schools is $4.1M.

igjxncz6p75o2wpen6zz.png

nk2easmlzmoalmw5pxxa.png

AngelHedgie on