As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2019: LSU wins, it's now the offseason, where nothing ever happens

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm so excited to listen to PAPN tomorrow. Should be fascinating. Thanksgiving really is the best week of CFB.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Other firings: Matt Luke at Ole Miss and Charlie Strong at USF.

That second one isn't terribly shocking, though I am surprised USF decided against giving Strong another year to (fail to) right the ship.

[IMG][/img]
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    USF firing Charlie Strong: retroactively making the Herman gore better or worse?

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Why???

[IMG][/img]
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Maybe he's tired of watching Mike Leach call timeouts late in the 4th when he's lost the game and doesn't have the ball? :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    If they hadn't immediately named Lake, I would have totally put in a shared NetID request for an UMeyer@uw.edu today.

I would bet that it has to do with his kid.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I suspect that the powers that be at UW have known that this was a possibility for a little while - they've been bending over backwards the past couple years to keep Lake from leaving. Will be curious to see if Petersen just wants to take a season off to recharge then look for other opportunities or if he really is walking away. With most coaches I'd automatically assume he'd be back in a year or two, but Petersen is wired a little differently and I wouldn't be shocked if he's actually done.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    It appears it's mostly a "tired of coaching" thing, as he's sticking around the Washington AD. I don't think he's done coaching forever, but at least for now it doesn't look like this is because of his or his son's health, which is good.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Maybe he's tired of watching Mike Leach call timeouts late in the 4th when he's lost the game and doesn't have the ball? :P

Maybe he’s looking for more of a challenge than defending against an Air Raid offense which never changes and never adds wrinkles.

God I’m glad I didn’t watch the Apple Cup this year.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    After negotiations turned south and seemingly no deal will be made, Rutgers and Greg Schiano have come to terms and will coach the football team again with an eight-year, $32 million total contract.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
    Some fans are having fun with the public job opening for assistant coach/coordinator positions at Texas

bzvut28gdg241.jpg

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Committee rankings:
    1 	Ohio State
    2 	LSU
    3 	Clemson
    4 	Georgia
    5 	Utah
    6 	Oklahoma
    7 	Baylor
    8 	Wisconsin
    9 	Florida
    10 	Penn State
    11 	Auburn
    12 	Alabama
    13 	Oregon
    14 	Michigan
    15 	Notre Dame
    16 	Iowa
    17 	Memphis
    18 	Minnesota
    19 	Boise State
    20 	CIncinnati
    21 	Appalachian State
    22 	USC
    23 	Virginia
    24 	Navy
    25 	Oklahoma State

With Alabama getting knocked out that now means no team has been in every CFP

At least we're getting a bit of something different this season.

CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK: OR AS WE AFFECTIONATELY CALL IT, AN EARLY START TO BOWL PREP FOR MICHIGAN

Straight Up
    #5 Utah (-6) vs. #13 Oregon - THE PAC 12 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, LIVE FROM THE "FRIENDLY" "HOSPITABLE" "DEFINITELY NOT DESIGNED BY SKYNET" "HABITABLE" CONFINES OF LEVI STADIUM. Anyway, this game should be interesting, in that Oregon has played the part of championship contender all year until they got Herm'd, though their entire season (sans the complete asskicking they handed to USC) has had a tint of "well, they have shiny uniforms, but are they actually good?" Utah has done a better job of looking like a playoff contender of late, including blasting recent opponents into the sun, and it will be fascinating to watch the contortions the CFP Committee ties itself into to try and justify putting Oklahoma ahead of them after this week, and thereby allowing Utah to obliterate some hapless B1G team in the Rose Bowl.

#7 Baylor vs. #6 Oklahoma (-9) - THE BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, LIVE FROM THE PALACE AT DALLAS! Ok, let me be absolutely fair here for 5 seconds, and note that Baylor is in an interesting position in that, should they win this game, they'd have a pretty good case for making the playoff over Utah, in that they managed to avenge their lone loss on the season. That said, fuck Baylor, and I hope Oklahoma wins a game that is never in doubt but just close enough that Utah's eventual steamrolling of Oregon looks better by comparison.

Louisiana-Lafayette @ #21 Appalachian State (-6) - THE FUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, LIVE FROM BOONE, AS IS RIGHT AND PROPER! The run App State has been on since joining the FBS has been fascinating, and their 11-1 mark this year is the best 12 game record in Sun Belt history. They're also going for their 4th win over the Ragin Cajuns in 2 years, as these two teams also met in the 2018 Fun Belt Championship game as well. That said, the biggest margin of victory in those 3 years was 11, and these teams last played over two months ago, so a lot has happened since then.

Miami vs. Central Michigan (-7) - THE MACTION CHAMPIONSHIP, LIVE FROM DETROIT ROCK CITY! This is maybe the most puzzling conference championship game, in that Miami (of Ohio, as if the Florida version would be caught dead playing this weekend) is coming off a bad loss last weekend to Ball State, while the Chippewas needed Western Michigan to lose last weekend to get a spot here. This game should be fun - it's Maction, after all - but the league has really lacked the big star-power it's had in recent years.

Alabama-Birmingham @ Florida Atlantic (-7.5) - THE CONFERENCE USA CHAMPIONSHIP, LIVE FROM JOEY FRESHWATER'S BACKYARD IN BOCA RATON! Folks, as much as it pains me to root against America's preeminent Alabama troll, I have to come clean. I will actually be in Birmingham this weekend, and while I will be having fun yelling "WAR EAGLE" whenever possible, I can't help but root for the Blazers, because I would like to crash a bar that is going ballistic over a Conference USA championship just once in my life.

Against the Spread
    #20 Cincinnati @ #17 Memphis (-9.5) - THE AMERICAN CONFERENCE PRESENTS: A POWER 6 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, LIVE FROM MEMPHIS! And, wait, didn't we just do this last week? No seriously, we did, and the only thing that game decided was who would host this week. Memphis won, so Cincinnati has to spend their second weekend in a row in Memphis. Considering they could have spent it in Cincinnati instead, that seems like a good deal for the Bearcats.

Hawaii @ #19 Boise State (-13.5) - THE MOUNTAIN WEST CHAMPIONSHIP, LIVE FROM THE SMURF TURF IN BOISE! First off, credit to Hawaii, who have had a hell of a year, including winning what was essentially a play-in game against San Diego State two weeks ago, and Nick Rolovich will be an interesting name to watch in this year's coaching carousel. That said, the story of this game is going to be Boise State, who still have a shot at the clinching the Group of 5 auto-bid, but would need to get a blowout here, along with probably a Cincinnati win in the AAC championship game. Considering those two games kick off within 30 minutes of each other, that should be appointment viewing in that time slot since no other important game kicks off then.

#23 Virginia vs. #3 Clemson (-28.5) - THE ACC CHAMPIONSHIP/CLEMSON BYE WEEK, LIVE FROM THE QUEEN CITY! Friends, I have another confession to make: I agreed with something that Paul Finebaum said, as this week he said that Dabo was "the most annoying winner in all of sports." Dude has a persecution complex bigger than I previously thought possible; take his comments following the South Carolina victory, where he said that a Clemson loss would have dropped them down to #20, and honestly what universe is he living on? Clemson would have been out of the playoffs, as I am a firm believer that a loss to South Carolina should be automatically disqualifying, but they'd have still been top 10 easily. Anyway, Virginia is also in this game, and congrats to them for finally winning the Commonwealth Cup for the first time in a long time.

#1 Ohio State (-16.5) vs. #8 Wisconsin - THE B1G CHAMPIONSHIP, LIVE FROM A FUNERAL HOME IN INDIANAPOLIS! I'm still mad at Wisconsin, who denied us the opportunity to watch a brand new Ohio State slasher flick starring Minnesota in favor of the same one starring the Badgers that we've seen before, and really the only question here is how much of the game do the Ohio State starters play.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    #4 Georgia vs. #2 Louisiana State (-7.5) - THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP, LIVE FROM HOTLANTA! Well, here we are: the last desperate gasps of a 2-bid SEC in the CFP. Georgia would have to win this game to give the conference a shot, and that would require the Bulldogs to make this the most boring game possible. And that result would mean LSU's extremely fun offense would actually not be very fun, and no one wants to watch that. In other words, a Georgia win would result in this game being completely unwatchable, and no one wants that.

Go here to enter your choices: https://forms.gle/WABPxXZ1vFgTjetZ6

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    Idk what's worse, getting Texas on a week of pick'ems or not getting them on championship week.

edited December 2019
    On the one hand: Memphis has already handled Cincy once, and I would much rather have an AAC team get the NY6 Bowl.

On the other hand: Mike Norvell is pathologically incapable of coaching Memphis in a conference championship game without choking spectacularly in the second half.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    remember when the B1G brought Nebraska in, split into Leaders and Legends, added a conference championship game, put OSU and Michigan in opposite divisions, had them play the last game of the year every year anyway, and tried to hype the possibility of 2 “The Game”s in a row each season that we were only saved from by Rich Rod destroying Michigan’s program?

I imagine Mike Norvell is also getting interest for P5 jobs

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Also don't hesitate on the picks y'all, as the Pac-12 title game is Friday night.

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Straight Up

#5 Utah (-6) vs. #13 Oregon
    #7 Baylor vs. #6 Oklahoma (-9)
    Louisiana-Lafayette @ #21 Appalachian State (-6)
    Miami vs. Central Michigan (-7)
    Alabama-Birmingham @ Florida Atlantic (-7.5)

Against the Spread

#20 Cincinnati @ #17 Memphis (-9.5)
    Hawaii @ #19 Boise State (-13.5)
    #23 Virginia vs. #3 Clemson (-28.5)
    #1 Ohio State (-16.5) vs. #8 Wisconsin

CCGotCotY (AtS)

#4 Georgia vs. #2 Louisiana State (-7.5)

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Don't forget, last pick 'em of the regular season phase is due tonight for full credit!

Hello all, I have made it to Alabama, and so far on my trip, I have eaten at Waffle House, Cookout, and gone to the Jack Daniels distillery.

Now to spend the rest of the day yelling Geaux Tigers at people.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Hello all, I have made it to Alabama, and so far on my trip, I have eaten at Waffle House, Cookout, and gone to the Jack Daniels distillery.

Only half credit if it's not a coach o voice

It hurts me that you think I wouldn’t be doing a Coach O voice already.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

I wouldn't blame you for forgetting what O is after covering UCLA this year

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Straight Up

Utah vs. Oregon - I'm generally not great at the prediction thing, but I called that Utah would make the CFP at the start of the season and I'm not going to back down now....
    Baylor vs. Oklahoma - ...and while "fuck Baylor" is my default position, I also believe that the committee would fall all over themselves to put a 1-loss Oklahoma team in ahead of 1-loss Utah, so here we are
    Louisiana-Lafayette @ Appalachian State
    Miami vs. Central Michigan
    Alabama-Birmingham @ Florida Atlantic

Against the Spread
    Cincinnati @ Memphis (-9.5)
    Hawaii @ Boise State (-13.5)
    Virginia vs. Clemson (-28.5)
    Ohio State (-16.5) vs. Wisconsin

Game of the Week (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    Georgia vs. Louisiana State (-7.5)

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets

I wouldn't blame you for forgetting what O is after covering UCLA this year

Joke’s on you: O wasn’t the massively crippling problem this year!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

Did you get lost on the way to Atlanta?

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Franklin gets extended. Rednecks of Pennsylvania react about how you'd expect.

Straight Up
    Utah vs. Oregon
    Baylor vs. Oklahoma
    Louisiana-Lafayette @ Appalachian State
    Miami vs. Central Michigan
    Alabama-Birmingham @ Florida Atlantic

Against the Spread
    Cincinnati @ Memphis (-9.5)
    Hawaii @ Boise State (-13.5)
    Virginia vs. Clemson (-28.5)
    Ohio State (-16.5) vs. Wisconsin

Game of the Week (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    Georgia vs. Louisiana State (-7.5)

Hot Take

Franklin is good (at things)

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hot Take

Franklin is good (at things)

Everything that's not in a football game he is very good. He's basically younger Kirk Ferentz at a school that can get big time recruits.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    VishNub wrote: »

Nah, I’m in Birmingham for a wedding. First time down here, so trying to hit some of the highlights.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Man, Oregon is shutting down Utah right now. 20-0 before halftime.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Nah, I’m in Birmingham for a wedding. First time down here, so trying to hit some of the highlights.

Saw's Barbecue (in Homewood) is excellent as well as Chez Lulu (for brunch, in English Village) if you're looking for good places to eat.

Well, I guess Oklahoma needs to not fuck up tomorrow if we don't want another double SEC playoff.

[IMG][/img]
    Well, I guess Oklahoma needs to not fuck up tomorrow if we don't want another double SEC playoff.

Entirely possible Baylor would get in.

And that upsets me

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Alabama not being in the playoffs this year has already made this season for me

if Georgia can get by Ohio St, LSU, or Clemson that's nice I guess lol