As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

SGDQ is doing a KH3 any% run right now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Ok having never played any of the other games, and not being a big fan of anime, the opening and it’s many many titles showing up had me worried, but I just did the Choo Choo train ride on the titan and I’m loving it

Atho the games depiction of meg isn’t great, she’s far too fawning and my hero!ish

So far the only thing that doesn’t really work for me is the space travel thing. It just feels a bit pointless and I’m not sure what it’s referencing visually, it feels a bit plain visually and it’s gameplay. I’m hoping I can largely ignore it

Prohass on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    KHUX introduced its first completely new world to the series: Niceland from Wreck-it Ralph. It's neat to get to go to a new place for once, they should do this way more.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    it's weird how much of this stuff kinda just looks like an alternate cut of the last few ending cutscenes

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    it's weird how much of this stuff kinda just looks like an alternate cut of the last few ending cutscenes

No it looks like Final Mix boss fights. Presumably we'll get to play as some of those characters in those fights. But I guess I could be wrong and they could just be longer cutscenes about those fights? Hopefully not.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    So I have finally picked up KH3. I did the first area and man...it feels like they gave them one line read for a lot of this stuff. It sounds rough. Then I got to the second area, and the VA seemed to improve drastically. Did that stick out to others at the time? Did it actually get better, or am I Stockholm Syndroming myself?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So I have finally picked up KH3. I did the first area and man...it feels like they gave them one line read for a lot of this stuff. It sounds rough. Then I got to the second area, and the VA seemed to improve drastically. Did that stick out to others at the time? Did it actually get better, or am I Stockholm Syndroming myself?

Can't say I noticed. Everything up to arriving at Olympus was taken straight from the ending of 0.2, so I wouldn't be surprised if the quality of that at least was lower.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    I beat KH3 a couple of days ago, and it really did feel like everything was shoved into the last couple hours of the game.
    The last couple of hours were super fucking good though. And I really enjoyed it.

They did Kairi fucking dirty though.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Yeah pretty much. Like it felt like you spent the first 90% of the game getting no plot...then you got all the plot at once.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Pretty much all the late period Kingdom Hearts games do this. 358/2 Days, Dream Drop Distance, and Fragmentary Passage are also very flawed in this way. At least KH3 has a lot of fun combat and spectacle worlds to play in leading up to that point.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    It really feels like they're afraid of doing anything plot related inside a Disney world, which only leaves them the original worlds at the very beginning and very end of the game.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    LD50 wrote: »
    It really feels like they're afraid of doing anything plot related inside a Disney world, which only leaves them the original worlds at the very beginning and very end of the game.

it's less that they're afraid of it and more than Disney often bars them from doing so

there's a reason why the Frozen world was a strict movie recreation where Sora and gang are shunted off to the side and the Toy Story world was a whole new thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Simple & Clean
    I know this is probably old hat at this point, but I really want for KH4:
    To have the framing being Kairi trying to become a strong Keyblade wielded to reduce Sora. You can have the interstitial jump to Riku as he does his things, maybe dealing with shit with Mickey, but the main thrust of the plot being Kairi traveling worlds to protect them and try and find Sora.

Her design was so cool in 3 and they did nothing with her.

I was hoping as well that, at some point in KH3 that Kairi and Riku would join you as the two party members for like, a dungeon or something. Get the original three band of friends together to fight the darkness.

Also, now that I’m finished with the game I finished off Waypoint’s lore reasons and man, I really miss Natalie being at Waypoint.

never die on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I’d be very wary if they announced that that was the story of 4. Because tmtbeg promises something similar for her with 3, and that was a big ol’ lie.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Over the past weekend, some new info was announced for Re:Mind during the KH Osaka orchestra concert. The short of it:

- No official release date, but coming soon
    - New Trailer will be out in the next few weeks, possibly no later than Jump Festa (weekend before Christmas)
    - New Photo and Slideshow modes that lets you pose and tinker around with the character models and create your own mini-show with sound effects and transitions
    - New Difficulty Settings (in-game tweaks, a la Re:Coded, perhaps?): Fast Pass Mode lets you breeze through the game with action commands freely available to use + OP characters; Black Code Mode lets you further tweak and customize your settings (HP/STR/DEF?) beyond the difficulty you choose at the beginning, apparently making it harder that Critical Mode.

Source

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    OK, I must say that I’m rather charmed at the idea of the mode that speeds you through the game being called “Fast Pass”, a la those skip-the-line passes at Disney World.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    My local shop just got in the new Kingdom Hearts version of the board game Talisman

KH-Talisman-2019-FLATBB.jpg

it has figures of all the keyblade wielders!! Except for some reason Axel has been replaced by Mulan!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Simple & Clean
    Mulan got more to do in the two hours she was in the franchise than Kairi has in almost a dozen games.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Sanctuary

hmm

well, that is technically still winter

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    oh I just had an extreme reaction to the closing lines being the opening lines of KH1

it was over! they're still doing it to me! they've got me!!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »

hmm

well, that is technically still winter

So, some thoughts, spoilering for people just in case:
    -Don't ever change KH with your stilted line reads. I know you have gotten better acting off of the actor playing Riku, why was the very first line so awkwardly said?

-Oh look, Final Fantasy characters
    -Looks like we might get to get more of the other characters to play as than we thought.
    -Speaking of, playable Kairi!

• Options
    Sanctuary
    oh fuck off, PS4 gets it a month early in January and me, the only person who has ever played it on Xbox, has to wait until the February date

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Console exclusive release have never actually been good for anyone but investors, right

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I'm kind of losing my mind over this trailer, this looks way more substantial than I expected

I had resigned myself to it being the third act of the game where you play as new characters against the same bosses

I certainly didn't expect to see
    the fucking Leon crew in Radiant Garden and Scala ad Caelum as a full level!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    A trailer for KH DLC gave me chills, godammit

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So folks, I gave up on KH1 a while ago due to the Ansem fight being hot greasy bullshit. Is it worth trying to grind through shit so I can end this chapter in my life?

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So folks, I gave up on KH1 a while ago due to the Ansem fight being hot greasy bullshit. Is it worth trying to grind through shit so I can end this chapter in my life?

just watch how it ends, that fight is pure bullshit and move onto the beautiful bliss of 2

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary

Yes. If you still have a save at the final rest, go back and get the ultima weapon.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I do have a save at the final rest. How hard is it to get the ultima weapon?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I do have a save at the final rest. How hard is it to get the ultima weapon?

If you haven't specifically been grinding for it along the way?

Will probably take a bit.

It's something I would do, but if you're not feeling KH1 anymore just watch a Youtube and move on to KH2.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    As a kid that's what I did and I have zero regrets

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Game share with me and I will beat Ansem FOR you. This is a real offer and not a joke, but I don't have PS+ and therefore maybe that's impossible?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Mulan got more to do in the two hours she was in the franchise than Kairi has in almost a dozen games.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I predict Kairi will be removed from the fridge long enough to have one player-controlled battle then shoved back in the fridge for KH4

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Unless Re:Mind changes that entire sequence leading up to the fight with the old coot, that is still going to be the absolute low point of the game for me. Probably of the series as a whole, considering how long that lie stretched (I was baited from the end of 3D).
    They would need to entirely rewrite how Xehanort goads Sora into a fight, and make it so that he still vanishes for Kairi at the end. There are, obviously, ways that this could be done, but I'm very much not expecting it.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »
    Unless Re:Mind changes that entire sequence leading up to the fight with the old coot, that is still going to be the absolute low point of the game for me. Probably of the series as a whole, considering how long that lie stretched (I was baited from the end of 3D).
    They would need to entirely rewrite how Xehanort goads Sora into a fight, and make it so that he still vanishes for Kairi at the end. There are, obviously, ways that this could be done, but I'm very much not expecting it.

Yeah, I don't expect that to get fixed.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Honestly even if the dlc does do cool shit with kairi that will only make me angrier at the release product

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Trailer is now officially out!

DLC info still from end of the Sony Playstation State of Play trailer:

T13R30i.jpg

Guessing that the extra $10 is for footage from the World of Tres concert?

Otherwise, the base DLC price point makes it ~$90 for KH III Complete/GOTY version.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist