As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Schrodinger's NPC

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Cyboys, programmed to rustle up the cowborgs.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    In the Star Wars game I inherited they Spy wants to be a Fulcrum (pretty much a spy master).

So I came up with the system below.

I am drawing up a map that contains all the systems in the sector and all the planets in those systems. Each planet has a difficulty number of 1-5 known only to me. These numbers can fluctuate depending on what else is happening in the game. He will have 2 different types of units. Infiltrators and Strike Teams. These units also have ratings of 1-5. He will be able to units to locations usually between games when it is logical. Depending on the location or other traits of the unit they may get boost or setback dice too. I'll secretly roll the teams ability verse the difficulty.

Success/failures will determine if the information was gathered, supplies stolen, target destroyed etc...
    Advantages/disadvantages could speed or slow the mission or if multiple could increase/decrease the level of the unit.
    Triumphs/despairs would have unique results depending on where the unit was sent.

The group is already on a rescue mission so we are retconning his top Infiltrator to be with those captured. This will have him a Level 5 unit when she is rescued. He also has a strike team of new recruits so a Level 1. During the game he will have recruitment opportunities to grow his network.

Not spy related. The Mando in the group already had one of his goals to complete a full set of mando armor. Wow did the first episode of the Mandolorian give me something to work with...

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Had a really moving 1v1 where the felinid PC and his goth BF just hung out (and meta wise we got to use this to share real songs we said they had 40k versions of). There was this one moment that I wanted to share.
    Before we start, some context is needed: This character has had a boyfriend and a girlfriend in the past. The boyfriend was a pureblood he showered with affection. To prove he didn't know him to a group of other PDF officer cadets, the boyfriend beat him up and called the goth BF, a felinid, a slur. They broke up after the boyfriend told him he was sorry but the goth BF was too much and he had to stop seeing him. He was more reserved to a fault with the girlfriend who is now the girlfriend to another PC and they split up amicably. He's been trying to balance between being too much and too little.

The exchange:

As it ends, he slowly moves up again, and he pulls out a final record. "Hey, um, could I share one last song with you? It means a lot to me. It kind of helped me stop myself from..." he trails off and rubs the back of his neck with the other arm.

"...Okay."

He looks up and asks quietly, "have you ever heard Phillis Breich?"
    (what's your tone?)

Reserved, but not unfriendly. I'm a little concerned about him trailing off. "No."

"Well, here." He says as he puts it on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIgVCU19pjg
    YouTube
    RoundMidnightTV
    Billie Holiday - Stormy Weather (Clef Records 1952)

He puts it on, but he doesn't sit down. He's facing away from you. His tail is down, and his ears are slightly drooped back.

I don't approach him, but I say, through a sudden tightness in my throat "Even if we ... don't last, I won't go away."

His ears slightly move up and they face you and his tail lifts a little, "do you know?"

"Valya told me."

"That's fair. She would and it's fair to her since I wasn't fair to her." He says still facing the record.

"I don't think I'm afraid of us not lasting. Nor you going away. Not if it made sense."

"Okay."
    Then, he does something surprising. He begins to slowly dance to the song. First just rocking with it slowly, but then reaching out.
    (not to you)

I blink twice, but I watch him.

He turns a bit, and his eyes are closed. He's got this tiny grin on, and it's clear tears were running down his face. His tail adds to the movements and his ears are slightly more up.
    He then begins to sing lowly to it

Can't go on, ev'ry thing I had is gone
    Storm weather
    Since my man and I ain't together
    Keeps rainin' all the time

I hum along, just loud enough to be heard.

His ears face you as he continues on.
    The song ends and he just breathes.
    Then he slowly gets back on the couch.

I actually shed a tear in public. The other player hit the mark perfectly as an in-character thing he would say.

Kadoken on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Got a little sad last night as my felinid character burnt fate. It was mostly my fault but the GM did set like 12 people with bolt weaponry against like low tier characters. When in a similar situation I waited until they had like twice our XP and had 2/3rds the people to do that as the GM. If it had been an autogun rather than a boltgun that ripped through her it would have been the same though; plus I basically put the fight into our favor with a well placed stun grenade as another player had already burned and we had one left along with a few NPCs. On the plus side: winning against OP npcs means getting OP gear. 7/10 remaining enemies stunned with a perfectly placed stun grenade. Unfortunately one of them retreated away from the grenade to me at point blank range but otherwise it was a very close fight. Also my GM allowed me to take revenge after I burned to shoot the guy in the back like I did with his character after burning to a boss, but my fucking bolt pistol jammed and my character just laid down in defeat. I had a string of awful fucking rolls and my dodge is like 72% which along with me using fate beforehand on stuff that basically didn't matter it turned out.

Also, the techpriest killed like 12 innocent people for no reason to kill one guy who we were just going to be able to kill in a safer place anyway after he gave up the valuable info to us already. So if he's slipping off a cliff or needs help, he gets to fall. (Real life not mad at his player, rp wise he's being corrupted by an evil candle). There's "killing millions to save billions" and then needless and pointless death. Plus the fact we are secret agents and we in fact were made by that event later hence the bolter hit squad because of how loud that got.

Kadoken on
    edited November 2019
    Fixed the TTRPG blog's biggest issue with a manual index where I put a list of chronologically gathered links to posts in one page which they should just offer. Made it just a click on the malice index label on the side for three lists: a main one with the overhaul and the mechanical homebrew posts including new mechanics and homeworlds, lore and character posts, and then just a short list of favorite ones. Before it had terrible navigation and hopefully now people will be able to easily navigate through different posts rather than just relying on links that get buried online. Why just having a list to easily parse through and choose what you want isn't an automatic thing I do not know.

Kadoken on
    edited November 2019
    All our regulars had to go to the hospital so a radical inquisitor came in and cleaned up after us and I got to play a very big man and mop up the people that downed two of us. Also, my knight's characters' wife and kids are coming to join the Inquisition. He finally got the courage and influence to ask his inquisitor to bring them on from his feudal homeworld. They all play their own specialty from strong-willed berserker to silver-tongued rake to mild-mannered but incisive and perceptive adept. Also, my psyker detective, who's been on the sidelines, is growing more unhinged and corrupted by studying an evil star that he stopped from destroyed a world he originally asked to be destroyed.

We're now going back to Only War on the worst ship ever and I didn't realize until a month after it was introduced that the ship's name is an Event Horizon reference. The Occurrence Border.

Kadoken on
    edited November 2019
    So I have some Edge of the Empire questions I need some clarification on before I can surprise the wife with it.

Players choose how to spend triumph, and GM chooses how to spend despair?
    Across a room would be medium range, across a house would be long range, for a quick gauge of range bands?

General tips and pointers would be awesome, too.

Docshifty on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Docshifty wrote: »
    So I have some Edge of the Empire questions I need some clarification on before I can surprise the wife with it.

Players choose how to spend triumph, and GM chooses how to spend despair?
    Across a room would be medium range, across a house would be long range, for a quick gauge of range bands?

General tips and pointers would be awesome, too.

The GM has final discretion but ideally suggestions for Triumph and Despair are collaborative. Obviously, in combat it's easy enough to use a Triumph to trigger a critical hit or activate a weapon quality, but for narrative purposes people should be open to suggestions. I like using Despairs sometimes to determine that, actually, something bad is going to happen later on in the session due to what the players did. It's always fun when a roll fails but gets a Triumph, or succeeds and gets a Despair.

As far as range bands go, there is a good description of them in the core book. I don't have it at hand ATM, but IIRC medium range is around the range where characters can still talk to one another without having to shout. For long range, it starts a dozen or so meters out and you'll have to shout to be heard.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2019
    We had a fighting tournament completely off the cuff last night in the vigilante campaign. One player wanted to buy a power weapon, that weapon being my homebrew hand-to-hand power fighting gear. Think ifrit/beowulf from Devil May Cry. A set of greaves, gauntlets, knee, and elbow armour that causes your kicks and punches to have the strength of a power weapon without the cumbersome motion of a powerfist. So when a player wants an extremely rare item, I have them do a quest to get it. They found this rare set of gear at a mechanicus shrine known as the temple of iron that was headed by a buff biologis techpriest. He was an expert in machine and flesh in accord. That set was going to be replaced by a better quality one almost like replacing a relic of a lesser saint with a greater one for a church. So he wanted to honour the omnissiah by giving this piece of weaponry to someone who would have the strength to bring honor to its machine spirit. So a bare knuckle one-on-one tournament was held to determine that.

I actually thought we were going to have to take a break for two weeks because one player that I knew would interested had overslept so we were doing some cleanup and filler stuff until they arrived. I was really happy they did because while before I thought I would need time to set the tournament up, I had more than 16 profiles, avatars, and different stat makeups to use as fighters. Including old enemies and new ones along with old friends and new ones. Including those that won’t be seen again until the late game which gave me a chance to balance them as I used them. They met the second to last DnD conversion of our party on hiatus of a tiefling to failed daemonculaba experiment. Along with that was their original 2 minute mentor and asshole Punisher ripoff, the psuedo-Rorscharch that had allowed them access to the vigilante network, and a new person with their arm in a sling that I introduced with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds’ Red Right Hand. He won against the very strong tiefling conversion with one hand tied up. He and his JoJo-ass name and destructive hand will be coming up later

They got to use their replacement characters along with their usual ones to participate in the brackets. Since the background is that these are another set of vigilantes from another large town, they heard about the tournament too. Player went against player, player went against friend, and it all came down to pseudo-Rorscharch and her expert martial skill vs the replacement Tiger beastwoman. They had a rather close match but the Tiger beastwoman took it and won the prize. Then sold the gear to the original player for about 10% above the price.

It was really great as a lot of these characters got to shine including the player who modeled themselves off of Blue Bird who had been feeling bad about her abilities. Some fights were just like the nerdy secret inquisitorial psyker replacement yielding to the tigerwoman knowing he had no chance and if he wanted to cheat at least two other psykers were in that room that could have caught him. Also one of them caught a new hero that had been defacing graffiti showing their bounties by the BBEG hiding a black cat tail in her costume. So they now think it’s the girlfriend of the venom-themed vigilante. It’s not. It’s the twin sister of the goth bf the felinid player had been dating.

Possible bee closeup warning? Not the whole image but it's there.
    o0w3gnp8jbql.png
    Also if you're wondering why multiple mutants were allowed it was because they were either masked and costumed up or this techpriest doesn't really give a shit about that. Also, the bee is a big tough human gangster brawler he's just using an abstract scheme I use for his gang themed off of bees in naming and color conventions.

Kadoken on
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Oynx Path has finally released a new version of Aeon Trinity.

Fuck did I love that setting. Aliens, powered humans, and a fractured earth with enough intrigue to shake a stick at.

edited December 2019
    The party met new employees to their newly co-owned business. As waiters/housekeepers or guards have hired a timid but kind crowman, a short loud and proper but humble foxman, a stubborn ratling chef set in his own ways, a gruff but well meaning ex-barman from a biker bar they just cleared out, a straightforward and curious pure human chef from a colony on the planet that came as refugees from my samurai marine planet before it blew up. Meaning they are essentially one of the only businesses in their planet’s capital to offer a very unique cuisine.

As guards they hired Brick Donovan, a deadpan monotone scratchy deep voiced man who stared a mugger away. They also hired a dogwoman who was half catman who was confused when the techpriest noviciate asked her to punch him as hard as she could. Then she did. After, they hired a somewhat quiet but good-humored pit fighter that slammed one of them into a table on instinct when they were trying to test his reflexes. Second to last was an albino purple-eyed woman that grew up in another colony on the planet that was made up of the lineages tracing back to the Cadians who helped my long-running Malice campaign players. She had a very close back and forth demonstration bout against one of the players. Finally they hired Brick Donovan, a deadpan monotone scratchy deep voiced man who stared a mugger away.

We left off with the players right at the lip of essentially a dungeon: a giant drug lab built into a mountain that supplies a good chunk of the profits their BBEG uses.

Kadoken on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My friends are starting an Eclipse Phase 2e campaign soon, and we haven't had our session 0 yet, but I've already built like 3 characters so far. I may have a problem.

Edit: For anyone who has played/read the rulebooks, I have a question. The Exotic Morphology trait lists an MP bonus for "taking" it, but it says that only morphs that have it are allowed to have it. Do you still get 2/4/6 bonus MP when you take a morph that has the trait?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Got the long running Malice campaign up and running where their first adventure of the series is to confront the traitor librarian of the dead samurai space marine chapter on the desert feudal world of Hrax. This will he the first of four heretic conspiracy members they will he able to kill after a campaign of being two steps behind them on everything.

They first met the last remaining member of a Death Cult that is universally disrespected on the planet for being gigantic weirdos and in fact are disrespected without repercussion because part of the cult’s code is that they only kill the worthy to send them to fight with the Emperor in the afterlife or the wicked to send them to the local belief of hell. So picture this suited up fanatic warrior with shit that’s considered magical on that planet including a power halberd, magnetic gloves so you can pretend to be Thor with your weapons, a device that has spirits tell them the path forward (which is actually a multi-compass so they’re right about the [machine] spirit part), and beautiful and intimidating master-crafted plate armour.

Imagine them also starving with a growling stomach on a bridge begging for food because they are essentially too nice to take some from villagers that do not like them. Then imagine them dropping everything to help the party because the techpriest might be able to help maintain the power halberd that is failing again for the probably 50th time in centuries. This halberd has required the cult to seek out extremely rare individuals that are not often found on this feudal world and do whatever they ask to be able to use their holy symbol blessed by the Emperor.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    playtesting one of Evil Hat’s games today, will post a play report later

https://www.evilhat.com/home/girl-by-moonlight/

so, playtest report!

the game is good. i don't know if Blades in the Dark is necessarily the right choice for a game about expressions of emotional vulnerability and hope, but it was an intriguing experience nonetheless, and i think with some work they can Get There. in my session there was a moment of magic that tells me GBM is definitely onto something for sure and the final draft will probably be very good.

it's too structured in some places and not structured enough in others but it enabled a fun story using some of the premade stuff and everyone had a good time, and there was a singular moment of magic that hit me right in the feels which is pretty exceptional for a one-shot (kudos to the player group as well of course).

i believe they're still accepting playtesters so if it's something you all think you'd be interested in i'd say check it out (if you have the time to playtest it!) or at least pick up a copy when it drops.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Oynx Path has finally released a new version of Aeon Trinity.

Fuck did I love that setting. Aliens, powered humans, and a fractured earth with enough intrigue to shake a stick at.

I got my copies 'on the way'. I can't wait. I LOVED me some Trinity/Aeon and Aberrant back in the day.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    The Dark Heresy Malice party avoided a fight with an exodite dragon because it sensed the psyker through psyniscience. It immediately became loyal as a puppy when it telepathically linked to her because it honestly can’t tell the difference between Eldar and psychic Humans and was happy to have a new master after years of first being captured by guardsmen to parade around then escaping them on a feudal world and eating the local pdf janissaries’ giant frog mounts.

Also it growled at the brainwashed Rook because his soul shows much, much exodite Eldar blood on his hands.

A giant battlefield of 1600s style line battles, cavalry charges, and artillery batteries was interrupted by the arrival of hundreds of kriegsmen teleported in via beacon which was the warband’s first objective. They opened up in enfilade with multilas, heavy stubbers, heavy bolters, grenade launchers, mortars, and proper lasguns. That’s when the BBEG’s rubrics started marching out. That’s also when the last samurai astartes was teleported down with them to finally hunt down the traitor of his chapter he’s been tracking for 100 years. Along with the psyker’s cousin and first character returning to the sector at almost the exact same time he left the sector for sanctioning on Terra. Warp shenanigans. So he’ll have a Goku/Jotaro moment of evening the odds in the final battle against the BBEG traitor librarian and his modified rubrics which contain the memories and abilities of the personal guard of the chapter master he slew thanks to his sorceries and gifts from a Man of Iron learning AI known as the Standard Template Child. Or as the biggest-BEG calls him, STuCkey.

You better believe I played Neverending Story when they first took flight.

edited December 2019
    I now have ten total characters in one Dark Heresy game. My main feudal world knight and his backups. Psychic gumshoe, felinid bounty hunter, hashashin-styled death cultist, the knight's wife and their four kids, and finally a cowboy witch-finder who has a fanatical dispassionate need to hunt psykers after one killed his family in a bout of accidental psychic phenomena and got away. He is obsessed enough to the point he has to have a bomb-collar to not kill other acolytes in the inquisition if they're psykers. He has a secret. He repressed the memory of him being the one who caused the psychic phenomena. Whether he shoots himself in the head or submits himself for sanctioning when he finally remembers depends on the events of the campaign.
    https://darkheresychainsofmalice.blogspot.com/2019/12/character-silas-mccaran-witch-finder.html
    Stats and starting equipment and backstory.
    https://darkheresychainsofmalice.blogspot.com/2019/12/reza-disciple-of-rose.html
    Also the hashashin guy for extra.

Kadoken on
    I also have a hankering for Enter the Deadlands now. Hence the witch-finder cowboy I can at least use in a game setting I already know and play in.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Remember? No, that’s the latest psyker messing with his head! Oh, he’s got mind powers now? No no no, that’s just poetic justice! His last act should be as some brain-on-the-outside demon hunting a kid that can do one (1) psychic ability at the lowest level.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    If anyone is making a game, roleplaying, board game or otherwise, I’d love you to post in my thread here.

Endless_Serpents on
    I'm really happy with the Trinity Continuum books. The more I read it the more I want to run it. It's been ages since 1999 and the original editions. But man I miss it.

I didn't have a perfect role in Dark Heresy to make a guy who is good at finding and hunting witches so I'm gonna homebrew my own.

I'm trying very hard this year to play more than D&D. I need to get more of my local group(s) interested in other games.

My character in Only War just died of a heart attack.

edited January 2020
    Nevermind, my commissar terrified the heart attack out of me with a slap.

I cry into his shoulder now in gratitude and he doesn't know what to do

Kadoken on
    edited January 2020
    Then my character got retired from play and promoted to a higher command position.

Kadoken on
    As much I want to get going deep in to Trinity Continuum, I'm debating if I should finish and focus on my Cypher System Wuxia Space build.

• fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good world mapmaking tool? I have PS and all the experience, but limited time to do it all by hand. I'd prefer something that allows layers, but I'm also just interested what people are using after graph paper +1.

edited January 2020
    Can anyone recommend a good world mapmaking tool? I have PS and all the experience, but limited time to do it all by hand. I'd prefer something that allows layers, but I'm also just interested what people are using after graph paper +1.

Inkarnate is good, but the free version is limited and the only other option is a subscription.

I use Wonderdraft, but Dungeon Painter Studio on steam is another decent option. I think they are both 10, DPS may be 20.

One of the things I like about Wonderdraft is how easy it is to make a world map and then make smaller, more detailed, area maps. Here is one I was messing with for about a week

https://imgur.com/a/s9BDZca

A bunch of other stuff people have done

https://imgur.com/r/wonderdraft

Docshifty on
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

For automatically generated ones, you can try https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/

If you have a world map already, then Google Earth Pro is a great tool.

I generated a world map using the offline version of https://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp which generated a large .bmp file for me

I then loaded up Google Earth Pro and selected Mars. I turned off all the various layers/images and used the Add Overlay option. I made sure to cover the entire globe when bringing in the overlay (make sure to specify a bit less than 180 to -180 for longitude coverage. This puts an image overlay on the globe. You can then add additional maps on top of your global overlay for specific locations and use the Google Earth location marker and basic shape tools for adding notes/points of interest to your map.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    FFG just laid off their entire RPG staff yesterday.

No one seems to know what that means for Star Wars, Genesis, L5R, or Keyforged.

Having listened to many of them come on to the Order 66 podcast and really show their love of Star Wars, I just want to extend them my best wishes and hope they land on their feet.

Assuran on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Are there any other RPGs that do the cyberpunk/fantasy blend like Shadowrun?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

You could smash something together in Genesys using the android and fantasy setting books they have.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    and depending what you mean by "like shadowrun" there's also Sixth World and The Sprawl, both PBtA cyberpunk; Sixth World is explicitly Shadowrun for pbta and The Sprawl is just neuromancer-style cyberpunk

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I love The Sprawl

How is Sixth World?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I would play Shadowrun in a Forged in the Dark system, and I think Runners in the Shadows is the most fully-realized version of that at the moment.

Oh, there's also In Which We Live and Breathe, which seems more high-concept but a little less complete.

admanb on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My group demanded to play Burning Wheel

Session 1 is Sunday

Am excite

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A steampunk? rpg is Mutant Chronicles. I was cleaning up the pile of books in my room and found a copy paper box full of more books but in it were books from the Mutant Chronicles rpg and the Warzone wargame when they did them in the late 90's. A flood of memories came back about how I got the books and the various figures from the wargame that were in the box, It's one of those games where it had an interesting setting the IP holder had no idea what to do with it.
    I know it was mostly in Europe but I find it odd still how I was able to get the wargame in the US?

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

Rifts
    Do not play Rifts