As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Acolytes

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Acolytes

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Anyone have a link to a good example of this prowess?

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    This is how I feel about just about every online game.

Only it doesn't take three years of my not playing, it takes about three days.

Basically it feels like having a job is enough to disqualify anyone from keeping up.

VuIBhrs.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

Basically it feels like having a job is enough to disqualify anyone from keeping up.

Good lord. You typed almost the exact same thing I was about to.

I was going to add that it's skewed towards fast action paced games, but then I remembered people would even destroy me in turn-based card games, or board games.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    haha... yeah, it's rough going back to competitive multiplayer games that are long in the tooth. the dudes that are there are pretty much diehards at that point. and if you're going for achievements, it's even rougher at times.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've heard good things about Titanfall 2, never played before. Does it have a worthwhile single player?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I've heard good things about Titanfall 2, never played before. Does it have a worthwhile single player?

Oh definitely yes.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ZealousShadZealousShad Registered User regular
    I've heard it called the best shooter campaign since Half Life 2. To me it's tied with DOOM as the best of 2016

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Good lord. You typed almost the exact same thing I was about to.

I was going to add that it's skewed towards fast action paced games, but then I remembered people would even destroy me in turn-based card games, or board games.

Yeah this reminds me of when Apex was new and you could feasibly win playing as a casual, that lasted like two or three days? After that you were just the meat.

The game series I always like to play but feel absolutely unskilled for is gears of war pvp, like how I play pvp compared to the wall bouncing shotgun murder machines is just a different game all together. There are people who notice a .005 second delay in shooting versus me who is like "shit jammed it again and dead."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Live service games are especially bad for this. In any genre.

If you take a break, not only do you have skill atrophy, but you also have to play catchup on meta changes, new character additions, and any other new content.

MOBAs and class-based shooters like Overwatch are pretty brutal if you take a break. I recently got back into Overwatch after about a year off. I had no idea who Baptiste, Sigma, Doomfist, or any of the other new-ish characters were and had to go through a re-adaption phase to learn. Plus I guess Mercy doesn't mass rez anymore? She just rezzes one person? Or something? And I guess Symetra isn't even classified as a support anymore? Like... so much has changed. Coming back after a year off is pretty tough.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've heard it called the best shooter campaign since Half Life 2. To me it's tied with DOOM as the best of 2016
    I definitely wouldn't go that far, but it's got some pretty spectacular setpieces.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I would still heavily encourage everyone that is interested and hasn’t played it yet to try it out. I fucking love titanfall and if I can do get to the point where everything is positive stat wise and I’m doing well then anyone can.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I have a friend who consistently curves Kraber shots into people with grav stars when they won't expose themselves for more traditional butchery.

We call him Abu Krabe and he is the exact sort of fucking Disintegator that this strip is about.

Diplominator on
  • SamuraiArtGuySamuraiArtGuy Registered User new member
    That kind of how I felt as an older casual gamer every time I logged into Bungie's Halo servers. I didn't have a whole lot of fun trying to relate to testosterone addicted teenagers who played the games twelve hours a day. There is only so much relentless teabagging and being called a N003 before the fun goes out of the experience. They should have had likes... a "casual gamer" matchup system. LOL.

That kind of how I felt as an older casual gamer every time I logged into Bungie's Halo servers. I didn't have a whole lot of fun trying to relate to testosterone addicted teenagers who played the games twelve hours a day. There is only so much relentless teabagging and being called a N003 before the fun goes out of the experience. They should have had likes... a "casual gamer" matchup system. LOL.

PA even made a joke about this back in the day they need the "Parent" servers for older gamers who just want to play some games without being tea bagged and racially insulted.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

PA even made a joke about this back in the day they need the "Parent" servers for older gamers who just want to play some games without being tea bagged and racially insulted.

Kids would just log into those so they could make a highlight reel of them dunking on lower skilled players.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Kids would just log into those so they could make a highlight reel of them dunking on lower skilled players.

Hello fellow adults

steam_sig.png
  • SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    I don't know how the campaign in Titanfall 2 gets so much praise. It's incredibly short, and there's not a single well developed character throughout the entire thing. Your Titan buddy basically just exists to yell about "COMPLETE THE MISSION! PROTECT THE PILOT!" While the character you play as has a handful of lines through out the entire run time.

It's basic excuse plot tripe, it's not some masterpiece of writing like everyone keeps hyping it up to be.

Daimar wrote: »

Nah you lock it behind identifying a floppy, a cassette tape, and who was your crush on saved by the bell.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »
    I don't know how the campaign in Titanfall 2 gets so much praise. It's incredibly short, and there's not a single well developed character throughout the entire thing. Your Titan buddy basically just exists to yell about "COMPLETE THE MISSION! PROTECT THE PILOT!" While the character you play as has a handful of lines through out the entire run time.

It's basic excuse plot tripe, it's not some masterpiece of writing like everyone keeps hyping it up to be.

The writings nothing special. The game itself is phenomenal providing lots of opportunities to use the new skills you discover along the way.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Titanfall 2’s campaign has some amazing set pieces and some surprises in store that you really don’t want spoiled, if you can avoid it. The mech combat is really good, the combat on foot feels way better than in future-setting COD titles that drew inspiration from it, and while the multiplayer runs out of progression kind of quickly, that probably makes it ideal for jumping into 3 years after release and enjoying it for a few weeks.

I’m tempted to jump back in, but I feel like I had a hell of a ride with it, and I might be content to just let it reside in my memory banks as one of my favorite games of 2016.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular

As an entirely self-proclaimed PA archivist, I'll leave this here for you:

lo4l9ftgg4ew.jpg

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's all about picking the right time of day

I was getting stomped playing during the evenings this week, but this morning I topped the leaderboard a few times

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    It's all about picking the right time of day

I was getting stomped playing during the evenings this week, but this morning I topped the leaderboard a few times

The kids might be more skilled than us, but they're still in school.