As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So is it better to stick with one class and level it through the story or to switch between a few along the way?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Probably better to stick with one, that way you don't have to play catch up to get your other jobs to where the story is; but it aint no big thing to try out different playstyles if you want to.

reVerse on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    You're fine just sticking with one job. You used to have to level a secondary job to 15 to unlock a job, but they got rid of that a long time ago. Additionally they got rid of leveling up other jobs to unlock cross class skills. Now you just automatically have them and can use more of them as you level.

The only jobs that benefit from leveling up multiple at once are crafter jobs and even that isn't near as important any more with the recent changes they made to crafting skills.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I like being a Gladiator/Paladin and enjoy tanking usually. Hopefully I can learn the dungeons as I go well enough. The first few seemed straightforward.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    You're fine just sticking with one job. You used to have to level a secondary job to 15 to unlock a job, but they got rid of that a long time ago. Additionally they got rid of leveling up other jobs to unlock cross class skills. Now you just automatically have them and can use more of them as you level.

The only jobs that benefit from leveling up multiple at once are crafter jobs and even that isn't near as important any more with the recent changes they made to crafting skills.

Crafters only benefit in that you can make ingots, thread, etc yourself now. There are no cross-class skills anymore making you level half of them to 50 to be able to craft well.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    *sits upright in bed*

If we ever get Nier weapon glams, MCH’s should get one that when used turns the Queen into a little 2B.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I finally did the Nier raid last night and it's really fun. Did two runs and got the healer helm and the glamour coffer (with a roll of 31). After watching some guides to familiarize myself with the mechanics I thought it was going to be on the harder side. Come to find out it's actually really easy aside from a couple of mechanics I need to see a few more times to fully understand.

I'd like to try some harder raid content in time. The EX primals look like more than I want to deal with, but E1-4 could be something I might be able to handle. Though considering my track record and experience with the Second Coil of Bahamut which drove me to quit playing years ago, I'm rather hesitant to take on any 8-man raiding content again. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the alliance raids I've done so maybe I'll just stick with them.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    So is it better to stick with one class and level it through the story or to switch between a few along the way?

You may find at certain points that you are overlevelling the quests. If you do daily dungeon roulettes for the bonus experience, it may make sense to start leveling up some other classes you are interested in. It mostly depends on how you play the game. I know that at times I needed to take a break from the Main Story Quest (MSQ) and do some side content.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I finally did the Nier raid last night and it's really fun. Did two runs and got the healer helm and the glamour coffer (with a roll of 31). After watching some guides to familiarize myself with the mechanics I thought it was going to be on the harder side. Come to find out it's actually really easy aside from a couple of mechanics I need to see a few more times to fully understand.

I'd like to try some harder raid content in time. The EX primals look like more than I want to deal with, but E1-4 could be something I might be able to handle. Though considering my track record and experience with the Second Coil of Bahamut which drove me to quit playing years ago, I'm rather hesitant to take on any 8-man raiding content again. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the alliance raids I've done so maybe I'll just stick with them.

Coils at launch was both harder and much worse designed than current EX primals. E1-4N are “trivial” (by which I mean you can die a bunch but you’ll still clear easily) and very fun fights. Highly recommend.

EX Titania was a super cool fight to learn and I’d recommend it to anyone curious what high-end XIV content looks like.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I like being a Gladiator/Paladin and enjoy tanking usually. Hopefully I can learn the dungeons as I go well enough. The first few seemed straightforward.

This game is really good about communicating mechanics, especially so if you read buffs on the bosses/debuffs they put on you

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I prefer tanking above all else in this game. So, even though it does sometimes spoil tiny bits of information, I research dungeons before going in as the tank the first time. I need to know the fight mechanics so as I don't accidently wipe us. And having the illusion of knowing what you're doing gives me ALL THE COMMENDS at the end.

2 night ago I PL'd some guys BLU to 50, last night he repaid the favor to me and now I have a 50 BLU. Will try and get most of it sorted out before next wave of BLU releases :D

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    cPoYpKvwPKbtB1PJQKBO3OB0hw.jpg
    bwckINjBeIspn-k83ACxvDF0-w.jpg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    I keep searching for the folks in the OP to get an invite to Ghost, is there a way to search who in a fellowship is online?

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    What's that Blue Mage Log?

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    What's that Blue Mage Log?

Presumably new duty finder stuff for BLU.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Here's one of the 5.15 mounts in motion

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I need it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Do you get to swing the axe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I keep searching for the folks in the OP to get an invite to Ghost, is there a way to search who in a fellowship is online?

Hanging out in one of the capitals and looking for someone with a GHOST tag next to their name is probably the quickest way, but you could also head to the FC house in Mist and apply from there. Usually someone's hanging out at the market board.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Fired up the trial and have a marauder at lvl 13 - not a clue what I'm doing but it is pretty.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Muppetman wrote: »
    Fired up the trial and have a marauder at lvl 13 - not a clue what I'm doing but it is pretty.

1-Turn on tank stance (you only turn this off when you want somebody else getting hit)
    2-Hit things
    3-Dodge orange bad areas

Playing a tank 101.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Muppetman wrote: »

1-Turn on tank stance (you only turn this off when you want somebody else getting hit)
    2-Hit things
    3-Dodge orange bad areas

Playing a tank 101.

4-Make clanking noises during cutscenes.

• Options
    Seriously, I love reaction shots when i'm wearing a pot helm. It just stares slowly into the abyss of my implacable metal visage.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Enc what is your character name?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Walter Roan

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Tanking infographic. It is a little out of date with respect to some of the threat changes, but the positioning information is as good as always.

http://i.imgur.com/BlnLLeX.png

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Let me know when you are online.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Tanking infographic. It is a little out of date with respect to some of the threat changes, but the positioning information is as good as always.

http://i.imgur.com/BlnLLeX.png

One main difference is you can just spam AoE attacks on an entire group forever now. In general, if you hit 3+ enemies AoE attacks outdamage single target combos. There's some slight variance when leveling up but you can just stick to that as a rule (the main exception is ranged DPS classes usually switch for just 2 enemies).

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah there's a lot of obsolete information in that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    When you get a second job, do you still have access to the old job skills, so you can mix and match skill? Or is the old job no longer available, only skills from new job?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    warder808 wrote: »
    When you get a second job, do you still have access to the old job skills, so you can mix and match skill? Or is the old job no longer available, only skills from new job?

There's a few shared role skills(e.g. Swiftcast/Surecast) but cross-job skills are all gone.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    warder808 wrote: »

There's a few shared role skills(e.g. Swiftcast/Surecast) but cross-job skills are all gone.

To expand on that, when playing a role (Tank, Healer, Physical Ranged DPS, Magical Ranged DPS, or Melee DPS), you do have access to all the Role actions unlocked at the highest level of that role; even if the job you are playing isn't at high enough level to have that action by itself.

But aside from that, all actions are unique to the job that unlocks them. There is no mix/matching.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    worth noting that your old job's progress doesn't go away, though

they all level independently and you can cap as many jobs as you want

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I found someone crazy like me, online at 3am EST, in GHOST and put in an app!

Also: I'm super sleepy today.

Enc on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Make sure you're doing the Training Hall whatever it's called when that opens up, new people. You get good gear for that level and a ring that gives a XP buff and lots of stats.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Make sure you're doing the Training Hall whatever it's called when that opens up, new people. You get good gear for that level and a ring that gives a XP buff and lots of stats.
    Of note: you want to run it thrice, once as a caster to get the caster goodies, once as a tank to get the tank goodies, and once as physical dps to get those goodies. Don't recall which specific parts reward the armor bits.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The tank one is a nice guide to how to do the Paladin.

• Options
    He's still trying.

JTCynj4.png

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Regarding tanking, I find the old ways still work just fine: Shield Lob/Unmend to pull, Flash/Unleash x2 to ensure you get the pack's aggro for the first few moments. Obviously, with the changes to how enmity works, that's no longer necessary, but 5 or so years of muscle memory is hard to shake.

But, yeah, back in my day we didn't have a no-penalty "I'm tanking now" button. We didn't have to just spam AoEs and never worry about holding hate. We had to walk to Limsa, in the snow, up hill both ways... And we liked it! Get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!

• Options
    Anyone in GHOST on with invite access? I'll be on for the next few hours.

This discussion has been closed.