As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    she's been getting up at 6 lately. and those 10pm bedtimes aren't by my choice, it's what happens if she naps. sometimes it's 11.

she didn't nap yesterday (Friday) and was actually fine, so we're thinking it might just be adjusting to summer play at the moment.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I mean, my kids are 8 and 4, and they start bedtime routines by 1900/1915 and are in bed by 1930/2000. The older gets to stay up and read an extra half-hour to hour or so on non-school nights.

So everyone’s posted bedtimes seem ridiculously late to me.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Hey, so, since it's Black Friday and xmas season, what are your guys experiences with batteries for toys? Are rechargeable worth the hassle? I've got my eye on the amazon basics one as they're on sale today. My son is 3.5 and he seems to have a bunch of stuff with batteries that keep needing replacement, toy trains, etc. I feel bad chucking out all these used batteries.

Between ones that fail, misplacing them in drawers only to be found months later, and outright losing them we found that buying the generic bulk packs from Costco cost about the same as using all rechargeables in the long run.

nibXTE7.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    she's been getting up at 6 lately. and those 10pm bedtimes aren't by my choice, it's what happens if she naps. sometimes it's 11.

she didn't nap yesterday (Friday) and was actually fine, so we're thinking it might just be adjusting to summer play at the moment.

Yeah my son went through the same thing. They moved him up to pre-school and he lost his naps. Then he played even harder at school and was completely wiped out by the time he got home.

Unfortunately he got his second wind at 6pm and would be up till 9 some nights.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah my son went through the same thing. They moved him up to pre-school and he lost his naps. Then he played even harder at school and was completely wiped out by the time he got home.

Unfortunately he got his second wind at 6pm and would be up till 9 some nights.

Sunset is about half past eight now that it's summer, which doesn't help the cause.

It gets dark after 9pm, which is when I can start the "it's getting dark", start of bedtime routine.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burpette is 3 and a half. We used to have her eat by herself and then she was in bed by 7-7:30

Since Name Pending we've started eating together so it's usually 8ish that she gets to bed. This is less than ideal as it means we don't really have evenings to ourselves anymore.

Name Pending is six weeks so does not sleep. Not now. Not ever.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The loss of 1-2 hours of kid-free downtime is tough. By the time my kids (7 and 4) actually fall asleep it’s about a half hour to my own bedtime.

There’s a long story behind it but my kids currently require me to lie down with them until they fall asleep, and the 7 year old is especially good at guilt-tripping us when we‘ve tried to get them to sleep by themselves. Being a working-outside-the-home parent is tough in that regard (“we never see you!”)

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    We lay down with both kids at night still (8 and 10) and we use melatonin regularly to cut short the falling-asleep time.

The oldest can put herself to sleep if she wants; there's still a bit of jealousy. We've already told her that she puts herself down when she starts middle school.

Bedtime routine for both starts at 2000 even on weekends. They are usually both asleep by 2030 depending on how excited they still are from the day (hence the melatonin).

We have curtains in their rooms that, while not formally blackout curtains, are fairly good at blocking out light during the Summer (our house faces East, which also helps.

This may or may not help because every kid is different. That being said, kids (actually, people) generally fall into two types: one where a white noise machine drowns out the world so they can sleep; and one where a white noise machine is so distracting that they stay up.

Our youngest has a pedestal fan in her room, or we use rain sounds to put her down. The oldest doesn't want anything on.

The past couple of days have been rough in the honky household. The middle child (4, almost 5 years old) has lost his ability to listen at night again. I think it's the lack of burning his energy so we're going to have to go back to the smart bike or I'm going to have to take him on a walk at night.

The youngest (13 months) has started just screaming at night for seemingly no reason. Last night we put her down at 6:45pm (around her bedtime) and she just sat there screaming for about 15 minutes before we went in there. As soon as we picked her up she would quiet down and jibber jabber like nothing was wrong... And then start screaming again when we put her down. She's on day 4 of antibiotics for an ear infection so we suspected it was related... But we took her in today to look at her ears and nothing was wrong with them. So I can't really tell what was wrong with her.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The past couple of days have been rough in the honky household. The middle child (4, almost 5 years old) has lost his ability to listen at night again. I think it's the lack of burning his energy so we're going to have to go back to the smart bike or I'm going to have to take him on a walk at night.

The youngest (13 months) has started just screaming at night for seemingly no reason. Last night we put her down at 6:45pm (around her bedtime) and she just sat there screaming for about 15 minutes before we went in there. As soon as we picked her up she would quiet down and jibber jabber like nothing was wrong... And then start screaming again when we put her down. She's on day 4 of antibiotics for an ear infection so we suspected it was related... But we took her in today to look at her ears and nothing was wrong with them. So I can't really tell what was wrong with her.

As someone who used to suffer from regular earaches as a child, I can tell you that lying down intensifies the pain. I only vaguely remember them really lasting 2, maybe 3 days tops. You're in a super vague situation where a doctor has said there's nothing wrong, with a patient who has no literal way of communicating with you other than crying. But if she's still possibly feeling something from it, lying down will make it worse. When they happened to me, we would dig out this giant ass pillow we had and I would basically have to sleep propped up. I don't know how possible that might be for a 13 month old.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

As someone who used to suffer from regular earaches as a child, I can tell you that lying down intensifies the pain. I only vaguely remember them really lasting 2, maybe 3 days tops. You're in a super vague situation where a doctor has said there's nothing wrong, with a patient who has no literal way of communicating with you other than cryng. But if she's still possibly feeling something from it, lying down will make it worse. When they happened to me, we would dig out this giant ass pillow we had and I would basically have to sleep propped up. I don't know how possible that might be for a 13 month old.

You can put a blanket or whatever under one end of the mattress to give it an incline. That was the advice of our nurses and doctors if we had a problem with spit up on a really young baby. Can't imagine it's less safe for a baby a year older?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

As someone who used to suffer from regular earaches as a child, I can tell you that lying down intensifies the pain. I only vaguely remember them really lasting 2, maybe 3 days tops. You're in a super vague situation where a doctor has said there's nothing wrong, with a patient who has no literal way of communicating with you other than crying. But if she's still possibly feeling something from it, lying down will make it worse. When they happened to me, we would dig out this giant ass pillow we had and I would basically have to sleep propped up. I don't know how possible that might be for a 13 month old.

Normally I'd agree but she takes two naps throughout the day just fine. I'm not a doctor but wouldn't it bother her during naps as well?

My oldest got croup about a dozen times so we've stuffed a pillow under her crib and she didn't have any issues with it. I might give it a shot just in case. Mr and Mrs honky are getting very tired.

• AimAim Registered User regular
    My oldest got croup about a dozen times so we've stuffed a pillow under her crib and she didn't have any issues with it. I might give it a shot just in case. Mr and Mrs honky are getting very tired.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Normally I'd agree but she takes two naps throughout the day just fine. I'm not a doctor but wouldn't it bother her during naps as well?

Could be different air pressure or temperature during the day? My son, as a baby was congested at night for most of his first year or two, but fine during the day or during daytime naps. I don't know wtf was going on to this day.

:so_raven:
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Could be different air pressure or temperature during the day? My son, as a baby was congested at night for most of his first year or two, but fine during the day or during daytime naps. I don't know wtf was going on to this day.

I mean.... couldn't it just be the baby doesn't want to sleep at night? 15 minutes is a decent amount of time to be crying for that, but not all that abnormal.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular

That's around the age where with our kids, if they had a terrible time sleeping it was either ear infections or teething, and usually the latter

Brushing teeth usually worked as a guide for us - if sleeping was terrible but they were happy to brush teeth then it was an ear infection, but if brushing teeth was screaming also then it was just teething

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I mean, my kids are 8 and 4, and they start bedtime routines by 1900/1915 and are in bed by 1930/2000. The older gets to stay up and read an extra half-hour to hour or so on non-school nights.

We're on the earlier side of the spectrum too. 4 and 1.5 yo. Baths start at 6pm, stories/songs between 630 and 645. Usually asleep by 7-730.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I mean.... couldn't it just be the baby doesn't want to sleep at night? 15 minutes is a decent amount of time to be crying for that, but not all that abnormal.

With my son, it was specifically a congestion issue. if you sat with him propped up on your chest, he'd pass out.

:so_raven:
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Ind
    kime wrote: »

I think yours is the most likely explanation here, other than pain related to the ear infection, and there's not much to be done for that other than keep an eye on the ears and follow doctors advice.

However, kids will sometimes just decided they want stupid stuff. My younger son decided about 6 months ago that if I am home, I HAVE to come into his room to say goodnight again after mum puts him down. He doesn't want anything from me, and I don't do anything other than tell him to be quiet and wait for his brother, but, he'll scream for the whole of his older brothers reading time if I don't go to him. 15 minutes of "I HAVE REALIZED THAT YOU BASTARDS ARE STILL AWAKE AND HAVING FUN OUT THERE WHILE IM IN HERE" is completely normal for a 13 month old. Immediate response to being picked up makes it seem like that to me. If it was genuine pain and distress, calming would take longer (Have to realize it doesn't hurt any more)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    Yeah after we went in the first time we let her cry it out but it lasted over 1.5 hours. For her that's abnormal. She's usually down and out within a minute or two after leaving the room.

However it seems like she fell asleep tonight *knocks on literally every piece of wood* and yesterday must have been a fluke. We did have her walk a bunch of times before we put her down so we probably wore her out too haha.

Definitely going to bed early tonight.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I'd like to thank half of the last page or two of posters talking about melatonin. Started giving Sam 1mg melatonin gummies on Friday. The last three nights have been an infinite improvement. He still fights us, but there's no energy behind it and when he's asking for, say, a drink it's been because he actually wants a drink to take back to his room, rather than ignoring said drink and trying to drag out all his toys to play while I'm getting it for him.

Now the slow process catching up on a year of show backlog ("You can watch whatever after I watch one show," now actually means I get the TV, rather than, "By the time I've actually finished an episode with all the interruptions we're both too tired to stay up anymore")

Hevach on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Gotta share a moment with you guys here.
    I put mini-dead (5 years old) to bed just now. Our typical routine is story-time in her room, then bed, but mini dead was being antsy today and wouldn't sit still for story time. She's begun to read, but only likes to do it on her terms, so when I tried to get her to participate by sounding out the easier words she'd squirm and fight.
    Finally I said "Sweetie, you can be grumpy if you want but if you're gonna be grumpy then I'm just going to leave and you won't get story time".
    She responds: "If I read, will you scratch my back? (she likes "back scratchies" before falling asleep sometimes)"
    I say fine.
    So we proceed with reading the book without further incident. Then she wants to poke and tickle me for a bit, so I oblige for a few seconds, before finally tucking her in and commencing the requested back-scratchies.
    "Song?"
    "You want me to sing? What do you want me to sing about?"
    "A song about dreams"
    I wrack my brain for a second on what to sing, and I'm brought back to my theater geek days. I begin to sing "Any Dream Will Do" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (lyrics in spoiler if anyone cares). I was surprised that I still new the lyrics and song pretty well!
    I closed my eyes, drew back the curtain
    To see for certain what I thought I knew
    Far far away, someone was weeping
    But the world was sleeping
    Any dream will do
    I wore my coat, with golden lining
    Bright colours shining, wonderful and new
    And in the east, the dawn was breaking
    And the world was waking
    Any dream will do
    A crash of drums, a flash of light
    My golden coat flew out of sight
    The colours faded into darkness
    I was left alone
    May I return to the beginning
    The light is dimming, and the dream is too
    The world and I, we are still waiting
    Still hesitating
    Any dream will do
    I finish up to the sound of gentle sobs and a tear-stricken little face. Welling up myself at the display I am struck with daddy-guilt and I ask what's wrong.
    "Nothing. That song was lovely daddy. Goodnight"
    Guys... I have too many emotions right now.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Weird, suddenly my room was filled with dust, and an onion cutting contest is happening in next room.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    As a singer with a baby on the way, it makes me want to try to learn the lyrics to more songs.

I'm mostly in choirs nowadays, which brings limited bedtime utility.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, my kids:

ELOgu6UUUAAzTq7?format=jpg&name=large

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my kids:

Uh oh.what does the drywall look like?

BlazeFire wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my kids:

Uh oh.what does the drywall look like?

Patch-able.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, my kids:

Did....did they try swinging from it?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my kids:

Yes.

In his own words.

“I try get up there. Up there.” While pointing at the pair of Mickey Mouse ears on top of the hutch.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So it looks like despite this thread me and Bulgarian girl are probably going to start trying for a child next year. Subsequent copies to be determined by how that goes.

Keep up the nightmare fuel.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my kids:

Yes.

In his own words.

“I try get up there. Up there.” While pointing at the pair of Mickey Mouse ears on top of the hutch.

Kids are fantastic, aren't they.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So it looks like despite this thread me and Bulgarian girl are probably going to start trying for a child next year. Subsequent copies to be determined by how that goes.

Keep up the nightmare fuel.

Nightmare fuel? Ok so months ago, I think like March? I told an anecdote in another thread that ended with, "the oldest one had done SOMETHING to the toaster while we were gone. Like, we don't know what he did, the babysitter had no idea, it was just gone."

We gave up and bought a new toaster this week.

I swear my daughter (6) is going to be a teacher or run her own day care or something like that.

They get these things called Dojo Points at school if they do something good. At the end of the week they can choose a prize out of the prize box. It has stuff like small toys, crayons, etc. She chose a ticket to read in front of the Kindergarten class because she wants to show them what they will be doing the next year.

She's easily one of the kindest people I've ever encountered and it's kinda crazy to see it keep building up that way.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Hello fellow parents!

Our son is now 7 months old. He had very good, regular sleep from the age of 2 months until 2 weeks ago. We'll put him to bed at 8:30 - 9:00ish as always but now we can be virtualy guarenteed he will wake up at least twice, roughly every 2 hours. After we pick him up from his bed, he's happy to be up in the middle of the night and he will take a while to go back to sleep!

Last night, it was 2AM by the time he finally felt asleep for good. He woke up arround 9AM. He seems to be having a normal day so far!

We're kind of at a lost for what to do about that. Any suggetions to help him get back to a more regular sleep pattern?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    Can you see if he's teething? When he wakes up does he just wail until you come in and pick him up?

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Can you see if he's teething? When he wakes up does he just wail until you come in and pick him up?

His first 2 teeth are starting to come out. When he wakes up he will cry for us ; he tends to calm down a few minutes after we pick him up and walk arround the house with him or rock a chair with him.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    Jean wrote: »

His first 2 teeth are starting to come out. When he wakes up he will cry for us ; he tends to calm down a few minutes after we pick him up and walk arround the house with him or rock a chair with him.

My daughter's kinda doing this right now (14months) and my wife found out last night that she might just be hungry. She woke up screaming at around 2am again and she brought a yogurt packet and she destroyed it and went back to sleep. Growing babies are always hard to figure out.