As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    The committee will select a two loss Alabama before they take Pitt.

I said

Put

Pitt.

In.

The committee wants ratings and commercial monies. And the only way they choose Pitt is for them to be ACC champ with no more than one loss or to go back in time and pick them when Tony Dorsett was there.

All Chaos might do is force the conversation to expanding the playoffs once they start picking a bunch of non-conference champions because the actual champs are all 3+ loss teams.

First step is to get rid of the passive-aggressive power five/group of five bullshit.

Sometimes people like to joke. Y'know. Joking

The committee is joke and I will treat it as such.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Who'da thought teams look really good when they play only bad teams, and may look less good when they play one of the two good teams they've played all year long. Good job on that Utah ranking committee -- who cares about strength of schedule, let's just go 100% eye test.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Why is everyone so down on burrow. I've only seen him play twice but he has looked really good both times.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it just shows you the silliness of the whole ranking process; the media and the whole media covering the sport act as though the difference between being ranked 5 or 6 or 7 and being ranked in the teens is some huge thing, and then the teams actually play and welp

truthfully I don't know why they haven't expanded to 6 or 8 teams by now; it'd be so easy to do conference champs and a couple wild cards

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Why is everyone so down on burrow. I've only seen him play twice but he has looked really good both times.

He's going to win the Heisman so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

In here and in the NFL thread people don't seem high up on him for the draft. I think he looks like a stud.

• Options
    Also , I was watching smackdown last night. They kept advertising the big 10 championship to start at 4. I get to bww at 4, game doesn't start till 5.

This calls for more beer than intended

• Options

In here and in the NFL thread people don't seem high up on him for the draft. I think he looks like a stud.

He's also the projected #2 pick behind Chase Young at the moment.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Burrow just reminds me of a more successful Trubisky

He was poo last season, and then really good this season

That’s my take on him before this game...he’s looked really good today

• Options

I just this and the Alabama game. Two very good defenses and he's been able to have huge games in high pressure situations.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I still think, if he can come back, Tua is the best QB prospect since Luck*

*in terms of high floor/confidence...obviously Mahomes and Jackson are the actual best 2 QBs in the league right now and probably already better than Luck ever was...and Watson isn’t far behind

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I still think, if he can come back, Tua is the best QB prospect since Luck

I haven't seen much of Tua. And his injury scares me. Where burrow just looks like an NFL ready qb.

Edit I'm a Miami fan so I've been kind of watching this closely as they were in good shape to get the #1 pick and will hopefully still get top 3.

RickRude on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Tua basically threw a TD every 5 passes, an incompletion every 15 passes and an INT every 150 passes

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Tua basically threw a TD every 5 passes, an incompletion every 15 passes and an INT every 150 passes

Against really good teams it's not nearly that good. And Alabama's 4th WR would be the top WR at all but like 5 schools.

• Options
    So Oklahoma ends up #4 right?

• Options
    So Oklahoma ends up #4 right?

If Wisconsin blew out OSU there would be a conversation to put the Badgers in over them, but yes, probably.

• Options
    I'm just happy seeing Ohio state back in it and with a dominant team. I thought it was going to take years to rebuild but this looks better than any urban Meyer team which shocks me.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So Urban Meyer was the greatest recruiter ever, but not so great at actually utilizing that recruited talent? I might be able to agree with that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So it's early, I'm an Ohio state fan, LSU looks like the #1 team in the country.

• Options
    I have no doubts Ohio state can comeback, but not a good look so far

• Options
    That was a ballsy fake punt. Into a big play

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bold Prediction Time

1.LSU
    2.Clemson
    3.Ohio State
    4.Oklahoma

LSU at one because they beat a Top-5 team. Clemson at two because dropping them to four would look bad after a season of losing spots whilst winning games. Ohio State at three because 'Come on! They totally should have won running away!' Oklahoma at four because the suicide hotline couldn't take it if Alabama was placed there or Georgia was given the benefit of the doubt for losing to a Top-5 team.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Alabama already lost to LSU. Dont need a rematch

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The four teams are obvious now, it's just a question of LSU or OSU #1. Clemson is the #3 seed, Oklahoma the #4. The quality gap between Clemson and Oklahoma means #1 vs. #2 is an enormous deal.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah clemson, lsu, OSU, Bama. Bama won this week.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But Clemson ain’t played nobody pawwwwwwl

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    They crushed Virginia who was ranked 23.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    They crushed Virginia who was ranked 23.

The "oh fuck we're out of teams and I guess the ACC is technically still a major conference" of rankings. Nobody has any idea if Clemson is great, but they are undefeated and the defending champs, so obviously they're in. Couldn't afford to lose though until Utah lost.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    http://warrennolan.com/football/2019/elochess

Interesting site that has done the elo thing for the season. (Cant see 538s on my phone)

Clemson are third by ELO and the ACC is 5th in non conference win% and 6th in non conference elo. Though there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of light between all the conferences

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    http://warrennolan.com/football/2019/elochess

Interesting site that has done the elo thing for the season. (Cant see 538s on my phone)

Clemson are third by ELO and the ACC is 5th in non conference win% and 6th in non conference elo. Though there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of light between all the conferences

Most of the advanced stats systems have them fourth behind OSU, Alabama (advanced stats don't know Tua's hurt), and LSU.

• Options
    Alabama already lost to LSU. Dont need a rematch

We tried to tell them that in 2011/12. As a result, we got the game that led to the playoffs.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Bold Prediction Time

1.LSU
    2.Clemson
    3.Ohio State
    4.Oklahoma

LSU at one because they beat a Top-5 team. Clemson at two because dropping them to four would look bad after a season of losing spots whilst winning games. Ohio State at three because 'Come on! They totally should have won running away!' Oklahoma at four because the suicide hotline couldn't take it if Alabama was placed there or Georgia was given the benefit of the doubt for losing to a Top-5 team.

No way is Ohio State number 3. You could make an argument for #2 (which makes no difference really) but the number of wins they've had over top 25 teams and (aside from the first half of this game) the dominance they've shown all season compared to the nobodies of the ACC makes that comparison pretty obvious.

I think OSU's corners are good enough to hang with LSU to prevent the big plays and their D line is good enough to win enough fights at the line to cause some 3 and outs, and the OSU O line has shown that if they are ahead and need to burn 8 minutes off the clock they can and will do whatever they want. I've only watched a handful of LSU games but I don't think they have a RB as amazing as Taylor is and his running is what stymied the Buckeye defense for the first half.

My predictions:
    I think LSU is going to squeak ahead because of their convincing win today (and SEC bias). Clemson and Oklahoma round out the four. Burrow easily wins the Heisman. LSU/Oklahoma is a high scoring shootout but LSU makes fewer mistakes and wins by a couple scores. OSU/Clemson are pretty balanced looking at team stats (Clemson has slightly more passing yds OSU has slightly more rushing). I think this game comes down to mistakes made (Clemson has 10 INT, OSU has 1, Clemson has 4 lost fumbles, OSU has 12), but I'm hoping a stronger ground game and solid defense is enough to put away the first set of Tigers the Buckeyes will play. OSU/LSU is interesting and I'm hoping that the athleticism of the Buckeyes is enough to carry the day.

• Options
    For the record, I do not believe that OSU should be dropped to three. It's meant as a dig against the fact that winning games caused Clemson to drop positions because ACC. Meanwhile, Auburn is 9-3 and ranked ahead of Alabama. Which, I suppose, they earned with losses to Florida, LSU, and Georgia but beating Alabama who also lost to LSU. But not Florida or Georgia since their conference has too many teams to have comparable schedules.
    ESS EEE SEE!

• Options
    Auburn is ranked ahead of alabama because they beat alabama

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Auburn is ranked ahead of alabama because they beat alabama

And, very sneakily, Bama lost to the only two ranked teams they've played all season. Those brutal SEC schedules you know?

Wow, I had no idea this sentiment was out there. The college football fan in me doesn't understand this comparison at all -- drafting Trubisky #1 always seemed like a hilariously stupid stretch, from the moment they started talking about it. It seemed like the ultimate in "tall large prototypical quarterback had 8 good games at a mediocre school; he's the perfect specimen!" which is always my least favorite way of drafting quarterbacks.

Burrow err, wasn't bad at all last year. LSU has just had the most backwards ass offense in the NCAA for the past 20 years or so. They always have pretty great talent, but just insisted on going with three yards and a cloud of dust and leaning entirely on their defense. Getting routinely curbstomped by Bama (who also woke up and got a real offense with Tua) finally forced them to change, and miraculously Ed Orgeron wound up being the forward thinking open minded coach to bring in a coordinator that isn't stuck in the 1950s. His stats last year aren't an indicator of him being bad -- they're decent, and they're just about the most you can do when you're never allowed to throw it more than 5 yards.

They switch their offense, and he's immediately light years better and against better competition than Trubisky played against. I don't think the SEC is crazy special (Georgia were complete frauds coasting on reputation and Bama didn't beat anybody), but putting up a 78% completion percentage is fucking absurd no matter where you are, and 44/6 TD/INT splits are hard to argue against. I would feel way better about my favorite NFL team drafting him than Trubisky coming out of college, and it's not even close.

If you look at their stats broken down by season in college, one of them jumps out a lot more in their final year than the other:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mitch-trubisky-1.html
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-burrow-1.html

Trubisky was pretty up and down throughout his entire career, really. It was a lot of backup time but his freshman season was just pure blah. Follows it up with a very efficient sophomore season with a very small sample size (85% completion, but only 47 passes), then his full year is....good. If you look at it in comparison to his other years it's not a breakout amazing season -- his completion % is good but down, his yards per attempt are down, and his TD/INT ratio is good but not amazing in the modern college game. One year of a full sample size, and he regresses in several areas under a full load.

Burrow's first season at LSU is less good than Trubisky at UNC, but against better competition and with an antiquated offense. They switch their offense for his senior year, and he dramatically improves in every single statistical category, ups his completion %, drops his turnovers, and is on pace to break national records for completion % as a college quarterback. That's pretty solid!

However, fuck LSU and we probably have to play them in a few weeks so I hope he is overrated garbage despite all evidence to the contrary.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Bold Prediction Time

1.LSU
    2.Clemson
    3.Ohio State
    4.Oklahoma

But how will Ohio State lose to the second place SEC team?

• Options
    LeTwig wrote: »
    Bold Prediction Time

1.LSU
    2.Clemson
    3.Ohio State
    4.Oklahoma

But how will Ohio State lose to the second place SEC team?

By scoring fewer points.

• Options
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Navy wins.
    Fan-TAS-tic game. Beat ARMY!

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    This should send the Commander in Chief Trophy back to its rightful owner, correct?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.