As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who Watches HBO's [Watchmen]?

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    How many episodes are left? Are we down to the last episode?

Two left

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    oh, I don't think the promo for the next episode got posted here yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tAHj_v0uo
    "A God Walks Into a Bar"

"A God Walks Into Abar"

Centipede Damascus on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    huh
    So there's something thematically to Angela's grandfather being a man having to hide his identity to the extent of making the world thinking he was white and her husband hiding his identity within a black man right?

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Episode 7
    i wonder how they will limit Dr Manhattan's powers. A few racist dudes with Rorschach masks would hardly be a problem for a demigod, surely?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    Episode 7
    i wonder how they will limit Dr Manhattan's powers. A few racist dudes with Rorschach masks would hardly be a problem for a demigod, surely?
    Well, Keene does have Veidt's video so I presume they know how he blocked Doctor Manhattan's powers with tachyons and also unsuccessfully attempted to kill him with an intrinsic field generator

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    Episode 7
    Might be a bit of a task finding open snowy wastelands to splatter them all in, but he's Dr. Manhattan, I'm sure he could make do.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Vladimer wrote: »
    Over the most recent episode's credits:
    Was that a rendition of "Life on Mars?"?
    take a look at the LAAAWW MAAAAN beating up the wrong guy

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Episode 7
    I was becoming increasingly sure that Petey was gonna turn out to be Dr. Manhattan. So I was beyond surprised at that reveal. Really could not have seen that coming. The hammer thing was confusing and upsetting...would have made a good cliff hanger probably, can't disagree with that.

edited December 2019
    Anyone notice
    That Laurie is tied up in some kind of Doctor Manhattan tied lab? The cyclops symbol is painted over a hydrogen logo. Which is making my mind go through some weird ties.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Anyone notice
    That Laurie is tied up in some kind of Doctor Manhattan tied lab? The cyclops symbol is painted over a hydrogen logo. Which is making my mind go through some weird ties.

I assume
    that'll be their new logo once they unveil God Emperor Keene

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    i hope Keene steps into the machine and justblows up with no hope of putting himself back together because he's a huge dumb shithead whereas Ostermann was already a genius.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    i hope Keene steps into the machine and justblows up with no hope of putting himself back together because he's a huge dumb shithead whereas Ostermann was already a genius.

You'd think
    someone since 1959 has had to try to recreate the the circumstances that lead to the creation of Dr. Manhattan right? I assume they all ended the same way.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png

My friend were joking around about that
    and then landed on him becoming some super weird body horror fuck up reminiscent to another cyclops

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So is the
    Cyclops eye thing supposed to be visually linked to the Dr. Manhattan symbol thing too?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Also fully calling my shot here
    Lube Man aka Petey shows up for hero moment and is promptly killed

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So is the
    Cyclops eye thing supposed to be visually linked to the Dr. Manhattan symbol thing too?
    The Cyclops thing well precedes the existence of Doctor Manhattan, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 7K thought it was some sort of encouraging sign for their plan that they just sort of matched up symbolically

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    This sure is a lot of words for saying "I dont know what I'm talking about."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/12/03/who-is-hbos-watchmen-for-exactly/

They keep saying that the show has "diverged" from the original comic in a significant way without providing any examples, and I am struggling to think of what they are referring to.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The end of this most recent episode
    is the implication that John Osterman was black, before he was blue? And then had his origins whitewashed after he became Superman?

Cause that'd be a fairly chunky contradiction with the source material

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    I don't think that's the implication at all.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/12/03/who-is-hbos-watchmen-for-exactly/

"Subtle portrayals of racism are likelier to prompt introspection" was a take so dumb I stopped reading

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Think the preview for next week is throwing me
    it looks like Abdul-Mateen is playing the non-glowy(?) blue version of Doctor Manhattan as well, so I was assuming his appearance has been consistent across his 3 identities, John included.

Oh brilliant
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

it looks like Abdul-Mateen is playing the non-glowy(?) blue version of Doctor Manhattan as well, so I was assuming his appearance has been consistent across his 3 identities, John included.
    Its almost certainly Tom Mison

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

I'm not putting too much weight on that.
    In the comic, Dr. Manhattan was ripped and his face was rather perfectly sculpted, where Jon Osterman isn't the likeliest person to have that physique. The Doc is also able to just put himself together how he sees fit, so my guess is that the blue man is a creation entirely new and separate from his original person.

EDIT: He also glowed more vividly before a TV appearance where they asked him to tone it down, and he did. I figure since he can alter that, he can be a matte version of his blue self whenever he might want.

Icemopper on
    My bet?
    The trailer sounds like two different voices to me. I bet Manhattan puts on that mask in the flashback. And that's all we see of his original blue dude form. Him in a mask. And he's on earth and in Vietnam during a Manhattan Day so people just think he's another dude in costume. When he talks to Angela and finally pulls off the mask he is now Abdul-Mateen.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    My bet?
    The trailer sounds like two different voices to me. I bet Manhattan puts on that mask in the flashback. And that's all we see of his original blue dude form. Him in a mask. And he's on earth and in Vietnam during a Manhattan Day so people just think he's another dude in costume. When he talks to Angela and finally pulls off the mask he is now Abdul-Mateen.
    I think Abdul-Mateen is a meat suit, either a living person who died or a full construct that he created to blend in. My big guess is that Manhattan went off to make life, failed, came back to put Veidt into prison, and then settled down in Vietnam because it was familiar but out of the way of the people he once knew.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/04/daisy-ridley-rise-of-skywalker-clue/
    Daisy Ridley was asked by EW to give a cryptic one-word clue about the secretive events in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker that would have fans wondering what she meant.

“Do you know what springs to mind?” the actress replied. “Cyclops.”

:O

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    It is extremely difficult to be a Skywalker in the galaxy right now

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I was sceptical going in to Episode 1 of this show but holy fuck it's turned out to be the best thing on TV this year. :D
    How many episodes are left? Are we down to the last episode?

Two left.
    I'll be sad when it's over. It's just sooo good!

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

"Subtle portrayals of racism are likelier to prompt introspection" was a take so dumb I stopped reading

I almost stopped reading when he said “the show is about racism, not power dynamics” which is maybe the most “??????” thing I’ve heard in a long time

And then I actually stopped reading when he said the morality of the show wasn’t nuanced, or that class isn’t a part of it, specifically calling out the scene where
    cops brutalize some white trailer park folks who might be part of the Kavalry, and somehow forgetting the part where the main character, a black woman, is like “this is wrong”

I’m pretty sure this person hasn’t actually watched the show

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Also regarding the thing that happened at the end of the episode
    it does sort of feel like it comes out of nowhere, because we don’t get a ton of characterization for Cal up until this point, and we don’t get their history together which might make us suspect him more (this was the first I heard of the accident that gave him comic book style amnesia)

But it’s such a wild twist I don’t mind much?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also regarding the thing that happened at the end of the episode
    it does sort of feel like it comes out of nowhere, because we don’t get a ton of characterization for Cal up until this point, and we don’t get their history together which might make us suspect him more (this was the first I heard of the accident that gave him comic book style amnesia)

But it’s such a wild twist I don’t mind much?
    his explanation of death to the kids is so fuckin Manhattan it's the only reason I even thought this might happen when someone joked about it somewhere

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    A few people who have gotten screeners for the next episode have been posting that the next episode of the show has some stuff after the credits. No spoilers are out there, as far as I know, so this isn't like, a "watch out!" sort of warning, just...I guess everyone keep watching through the credits this week.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    As I reflect back on the entire season, one thing strikes me as extremely funny (spoilers through the previous episode):
    Laurie repeatedly asking Angela about her sex life with Cal and communicating how attractive she finds him. Definitely also foreshadowing, but even more importantly it's hilarious in hindsight.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Morran on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/04/daisy-ridley-rise-of-skywalker-clue/
    Daisy Ridley was asked by EW to give a cryptic one-word clue about the secretive events in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker that would have fans wondering what she meant.

“Do you know what springs to mind?” the actress replied. “Cyclops.”

:O

She's just trying to throw us off the scent. Clearly, the next film is going to feature Emperor Palpatine's mutant three-eyed son, Triclops.

The location of the third eye may surprise you.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    They have gone all out this week, god damn.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    it is at this point I'd like to issue a fun little reminder that Yahya Abdul-Mateen has been cast as one of the leads in Matrix 4

6F32U1X.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    That was

A lot