As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need gift ideas for a power chewer

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
Christmas is coming and pets need gifts too! Most of the animals we can get gifts for just fine (the hamster gets some special yogurt drops, cats have new toys, etc), but we have a dog who destroys toys in seconds. She's a pit bull so those powerful jaws are a real issue. Anyone out there know of great toys for pitties? Some chews that won't be dangerous for her teeth? The vet warned us away from things like antlers and buffalo horns.

Obligatory pet tax:
Sleeping
52o9p95ldmmz.jpg

Her reaction to assholes who say "yuck, a pitbull."
63fpimowmuo6.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Does she have a Kong? https://www.kongcompany.com/
    Because those things can take an absolute beating and keep coming back.

see317 on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    we like antler chews.
    I have used these guys
    https://www.mountaindogchews.com/
    big antler stuff for decent price

camo_sig.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think antlers are to be avoided. :P Kongs are a good choice for most dogs as long as you get an appropriate size. My friends who have pit bull have a ton of rope toys.

Google brought me this list that makes me sadly wish once again that I could have a dog: https://smartdogstuff.com/indestructible-dog-toys/

I'd look for reviews for them if you're interested but as long as it's put together well kevlar seems like it should work...

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Maybe find a local butcher who can get you some big, raw bones?
    Don't know if those are cool with the vet, but you can normally find them pretty affordably.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My friends who have Pits swear by Kong and big fuck off rope toys. Kong chew toys were the only thing my Husky couldn't power through in a day. And he could snap those giant three foot bones in half with two or three attempts.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a dog serious damage a Kong.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    You can buy cow femurs at butchers, but since bone marrow is a hip cuisine now they're not really scrap anymore. They used to be dirt cheap so it was okay if they only lasted a week or so, not so much now.

I'd say go with Kong stuff. My dogs growing up always had an adjustment period to it though, like they chewed specifically to destroy and that they couldn't destroy the Kong made them lash out and eat chair legs and shit for a little while. I can't really remember what we did to get them to stop.

We typically filled them with a sticky food like peanut butter and put them in the freezer for a little bit

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    ceres wrote: »

After about 4 months of constant mauling, Bel's German Shepherd managed to get one of the balls kinda apart.

It became his favorite because he could stick it over his snout like a clown nose, snort into it, flail around, then take it off again.

Bel also just bought some Starmark toys for our pittie, they're the go-to at a lot of shelters for being indestructible and also not fragmenting into spikes like nylabones.

spool32 on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

After about 4 months of constant mauling, Bel's German Shepherd managed to get one of the balls kinda apart.

It became his favorite because he could stick it over his snout like a clown nose, snort into it, flail around, then take it off again.

Bel also just bought some Starmark toys for our pittie, they're the go-to at a lot of shelters for being indestructible and also not fragmenting into spikes like nylabones.

These Starmark toys are available at a local pet store so that's awesome, thanks!
    I think antlers are to be avoided. :P Kongs are a good choice for most dogs as long as you get an appropriate size. My friends who have pit bull have a ton of rope toys.

Google brought me this list that makes me sadly wish once again that I could have a dog: https://smartdogstuff.com/indestructible-dog-toys/

I'd look for reviews for them if you're interested but as long as it's put together well kevlar seems like it should work...

The package of ropes from this looks awesome. Found some stuff to buy! And some of those ropes would probably be good for our chihuahua too. Nice.

I'll update on Christmas I guess with doggo reactions. Thanks!

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Depends on the type. The hard rubber/plastic type you traditionally think of were fine, but the Kong ropes or stuffed animals (that had a rope core instead of fluff) all used to get torn up quickly by a Terrier I had (though admittedly they did last longer than any other type of toy with him).

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I'd be leary about ropes they can swallow bits and stuff

camo_sig.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Our dog loves tearables

He tears them apart and then waits for me to put them back together for him to tear it apart again. It’s a game for him.
    https://www.tearribles.com/

Ropes definitely depend on the dog and how they play with it.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, the dental floss rope bones+Kong's were the only thing our shepherd/lab cross had that survived more than a week. I do recommend a traditional squeeker for Xmas morning as nothing beats the joy of destruction for them.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Our dog loves tearables

He tears them apart and then waits for me to put them back together for him to tear it apart again. It’s a game for him.
    https://www.tearribles.com/

We have one of these for our Chihuahua and he loves it, but Lily will destroy it in seconds.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Kong has a line of toys for extreme chewers that are black instead of red. I highly recommend those. We've got a ball and a traditional Kong that my little monster loves (he's a 40lb staffy/cattle dog mix that has chewed through damn near everything else we tried).