As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    it's the first half of the preview which means we're likely not going to learn much at this point and the actual patch probably isn't until february

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I'd expect the patch in Feb.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    5.2 will be the first time in years I've actually been caught up with the story and at the item level to do any non-savage mode content that may come out. Assuming that item level 450+ will be enough.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to seeing what else they do with Eden.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    I’m thinking that the Eden story is going to involve
    Ultimecia, or an obvious analogue, as an avatar of Zodiark, in the same way that Minfilia became the avatar of Hydaelyn. That’s what I think our heroes would mean in referring to the shadewalker as the oracle of Darkness; she’s the equivalent of Ryne. And FFVIII’s sorceress plot involved a lot of people being possessed by a supremely powerful figure from beyond the edge of time, so it would fit the VIII theme we’re going with.

Aside from that, I’m anticipating some tears when it comes time to restore Ice.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    if the shiva fight doesn't somehow work in the two npcs it should be working in then SE is crazy

but damn, imagine what the oblivion remix will be like

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Miqo'te
    if the shiva fight doesn't somehow work in the two npcs it should be working in then SE is crazy

but damn, imagine what the oblivion remix will be like

I'm really hoping that instead of just doing more elements, we start doing mash ups.

I want 2 elements per fight (plus c'mon ifrit + garuda at the same time?), so we can move onto something interesting and new.

With 8 fights left, I think 4 of them are going to be the remaining ARR Primals, one will be Griever, and final will be Ultimecia.

The other two I don't know. I've heard Cloud of Darkness making an appearance being suggested and I could see that working since we didn't actually kill her and it could easily fit the storyline.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Au'ra
    I could see a fakeout on fighting the one primal though.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Lalafell
    Remaining elements: Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind. The obvious candidates being Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, and Garuda.

Debatably, we could return to Bahamut as a primal of Darkness, as that was the element of his Calamity. However, it can be argued that this whole venture is Darkness, as we’re lifting the elements out of the stasis polarity.

I could see Garuda having lots of elements of Allagan technology worked into the design, to reflect what we learned of the Ixal’s origins.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Player assumption for a while now is that Garuda will basically be Starscream.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    Cormac wrote: »
    5.2 will be the first time in years I've actually been caught up with the story and at the item level to do any non-savage mode content that may come out. Assuming that item level 450+ will be enough.

grand cosmos only drops 445 gear so 450 should be plenty for normal difficulty stuff.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

grand cosmos only drops 445 gear so 450 should be plenty for normal difficulty stuff.

Based on Stormblood's progression it's likely you'll need 455 to get into E5-8 and 460 to get into the 5.3 dungeon. My logic is that Genta Armor (ilvl 320) was the equivalent of Edengate armor (ilvl 450) and Sigmascape (equivalent to E5-8) required 325 while Swallow's Compass required 330.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I want a new moggle mog fight in the raid so I can get a remix of his song.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Do a new Shiva fight where it incorporates the sword-block phases from Susano, except this time it’s Shiva’s high heels

Just as an escalation of what they were doing with Titania savage

IKknkhU.gif
    Viera
    it'd be interesting if they had double fights against against one or both pairs of the remaining primals

BahamutZERO.gif
    There's some story stuff I want to see for Shiva so I don't know if I want to see a double fight for that one.

edited December 2019
    Viera
    I think they could get some interesting fight mechanics out of overlappling ifrit and shiva's stuff, and doing fire-melts-ice/ice-puts-out-fire stuff

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I wonder how they'll be broken up.

I'm betting 3 primals and 1 non-primal fight.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    admanb wrote: »

Based on Stormblood's progression it's likely you'll need 455 to get into E5-8 and 460 to get into the 5.3 dungeon. My logic is that Genta Armor (ilvl 320) was the equivalent of Edengate armor (ilvl 450) and Sigmascape (equivalent to E5-8) required 325 while Swallow's Compass required 330.

I'm already 455 on my WHM and will likely be near 470 if I feel like spending the time to get full augmented deepshadow gear. I have no interest in doing savage modes so I may not bother getting far beyond the mid 460's and just get my alt-Dancer into a similar range.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Au'ra
    I think they could get some interesting fight mechanics out of overlappling ifrit and shiva's stuff, and doing fire-melts-ice/ice-puts-out-fire stuff

monkey's paw curls

Second coil Turn 4 fire/ice mechanic returns

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Well, we could say that Odin is kinda like a primal of darkness too. And I know we don't have Seifer around but if an Odin fight ends up being Eden 8...
    GILGAMESH SAVAGE

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    Viera
    that is a really good idea

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Well, we could say that Odin is kinda like a primal of darkness too. And I know we don't have Seifer around but if an Odin fight ends up being Eden 8...
    GILGAMESH SAVAGE
    Odin's a bit weird, primal-wise - he's an Eurekan weapon that's loose.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Edit: wrong thread

Norgoth on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    any tips on levelling trust buddies? Getting runs to be less than 25-30 minutes would be good

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, their refusal to AOE means it's pretty difficult to get the time down

liEt3nH.png
    Viera
    I do not care what the black mage savants claim, BLM is the hardest damn job in the game

BahamutZERO.gif
    Miqo'te
    Trusts are built so that runs pretty much always take the same amount of time. They even have an instant-kill spell they'll use if mobs live too long.

Miqo'te
    I do not care what the black mage savants claim, BLM is the hardest damn job in the game

Depends on context, but it is a rougher one.

Unfortunately with the summoner buffs, we're back to 3.X where SMN gets to face roll on its keyboard and do blm damage, while blms have to work hard for it.

Hopefully they'll adjust on Tuesday.

Au'ra
    I still remember the people screaming that summoner was dead when the dev stream previewing the summoner changes broadcasted.

lol ok.

Miqo'te
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I still remember the people screaming that summoner was dead when the dev stream previewing the summoner changes broadcasted.

lol ok.

it's mostly that apparently ifrit's damage calculation wasn't right, and then they changed it, and summoners at the top levels got like 2k dps from it alone or something.

Lalafell
    Yeah I’ll be fine if they nerf my SMN numbers. Just keep the rotation as it is now, because it feels real nice these days.

edited December 2019
    Roegadyn
    Egi Assaults are still dumb but at least the job aint giving me carpal tunnel anymore
    Donnicton wrote: »

lol ok.

Like, this last patch fixes? Or pre-xpac?

Cause idk how people could think changes would make things worse than 5.0/5.05 SMN

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    Lalafell
    I kinda like that Egi Assault now makes up a significant portion of my GCD spells. Makes the Egi feel like a more direct part of my game plan.

Roegadyn
    My biggest problem isn't even mechanical honestly.

It's that they don't feel like I'm doing anything. I push Ruin 4 I shoot cool laser beams. I push Egi Assault and my character waves his hand a bit and unless it's Garuda's floor DOT I can barely even see the pet's animation for it.

It doesn't help that with Ifrit out they're essentially two different buttons that do the exact same thing, since the cleave on his one EA isn't ever relevant.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The lack of real visual feedback definitely took a bit to get used to when they moved EA to the gcd.

I'm mostly over it now, but for a while it really threw me off.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Lalafell
    turtleant wrote: »
    My biggest problem isn't even mechanical honestly.

It's that they don't feel like I'm doing anything. I push Ruin 4 I shoot cool laser beams. I push Egi Assault and my character waves his hand a bit and unless it's Garuda's floor DOT I can barely even see the pet's animation for it.

It doesn't help that with Ifrit out they're essentially two different buttons that do the exact same thing, since the cleave on his one EA isn't ever relevant.

I’ve always had some problems with the visual feedback on Summoner, even back when the DOTs were mostly hard-cast. Maybe the assaults could send a wave of magic to the egi or something? Dunno.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Is there a graphics setting to turn down the...extra of everyone’s spell effects, but keep my own? Doing Copied Factory each week is like watching a fireworks factory explode for 30 minutes.

Miqo'te
    Javen wrote: »
    Is there a graphics setting to turn down the...extra of everyone’s spell effects, but keep my own? Doing Copied Factory each week is like watching a fireworks factory explode for 30 minutes.

Yep. Character Config > Control Settings > Character > Battle Effect Settings I think. You can customize it pretty heavily.

This discussion has been closed.