As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ghostbusters: Negative Fear Response to Spectral Apparitions, Guarrenteed

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited October 2023 in Social Entropy++
Saw this on Youtube and figured it's been awhile since we've had a Ghostbusters thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9E56BqO_0

Apparently there's a new movie coming out next Summer, set to be a sequel to Ghostbusters 2 instead of a reboot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGq1chBbc30

The videogame got a remaster on PS4, Xbox One and the Epic Games Store
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ON61SZs-A

And there was a recent crossover between between one of the other big 1984 popculture icons: the Transformers. This resulted in a 5 issue miniseries set in the IDW Ghostbusters universe, and Ectotron: A transformer that turns into the Ecto-1

So yeah, grab some twinkies and let's chat about Ghostbusters.

Undead Scottsman on

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Okay cool. I was mulling over starting a thread but couldn't burn the time at work to do it inconspicuously.

The different franchise guys are all taking bets on who is gonna install a gunner seat into their franchise's Ectomobile right now. Ours still needs a new alternator so we're not racing to rack up any more expenses.

So hey Ghostbusters thread! How we feeling!? Wanna hear about the Easter Eggs and speculation from the trailer!?
    Those kids are definitely Egon's grandkids. No doubt about it unless this is a very purposeful fakeout.
    y6FGVzN.png

"I collect spores, molds, and fungus."
    OrOmEdP.jpg

"Symmetrical book stacking"
    "You're right, no human being would stack books like this."
    I5sRiUo.jpg

Shandor Mine - 1927
    Ivo Shandor was an architect and a doctor in the late 19th and early 20th century. He performed a lot of "unnecessary" surgery as a doctor. After the first world war he deemed society was "too sick to survive" and in 1920 he founded a secret society around the worship of Gozer, an ancient Sumerian god of destruction. By the time of his death he had nearly a thousand followers. They conducted rituals on the roof of 55 Central Park West, a building he designed as an antenna for pulling in and concentrating supernatural energy. The cold-riveted girders with cores of pure selenium with a roof cap designed similarly to the telemetry trackers NASA currently uses to identify dead pulsars in deep space. The group sought to bring about the end of the world, which almost finally occurred in the late fall of 1984.
    While he was alive, Shandor liked to keep company with some of New York's titans of industry. Likely it was through this network that he set up a mine in 1927 in Summerville, Oklahoma. For what purpose? We don't know that yet, but it definitely seems supernatural in origin and apparently was the last project Dr. Spengler was working on before he passed.
    mk9sFzb.jpg

If we weren't already sure this threat was Gozerian in origin, this foot definitely looks like a "terror dog" like Vinz Clortho or Zuul, both keymaster and gatekeeper of Gozer. They were her heralds, coming to Earth in advance and opening the door on our side for the Destructor to step through.
    4yJvamu.png

Not lore-related but the word on the street is that this is a lightly-modded Mattel Collector PKE-Meter, rather than a purpose-built prop. Very cool, because now it means I own a screen-accurate prop at home!
    QLkAcFW.png

Anyway, this looks great and I can't wait to go to the premier!

Ask me anything about Ghostbusters.

FYI the German trailer has an added scene of the kids testing the pack and the goggles, which reveals the ecto-goggles in this movie have a working Polariod-style printer in them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnQJtBbuY6U
    OEMVWOe.jpg

@timspork's ghost you want in on this thread or what?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    "timspork's ghost" you want in on this thread or what?

I am currently hovering at a state of excitement to such an extent that I may be phasing out of the time stream. However I feel like I need to keep my opinions close since whenever I bring up my excitement offline and some places online, I get people telling me in great detail exactly why the 2016 movie physically killed their dog and destroyed their childhood.

I am staying optimistic and will be going to the first show in full outfit regardless.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

I am currently hovering at a state of excitement to such an extent that I may be phasing out of the time stream. However I feel like I need to keep my opinions close since whenever I bring up my excitement offline and some places online, I get people telling me in great detail exactly why the 2016 movie physically killed their dog and destroyed their childhood.

I am staying optimistic and will be going to the first show in full outfit regardless.

Screw the haters, be excited. Your energy is awesome.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Yeah, this is super your thing.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

It is so morally draining though. People know or find out I'm a huge Ghostbuster fan and immediately assume that I'm also a huge misogynistic piece of shit like they are. Like, if someone has an actual critique of that movie then let's have it, I have opinions about stuff like how Jone's character was portrayed, but it almost always just goes from 0-to full asshat in 5 seconds for me.

I just have the worst luck and interactions.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    I really like that trailer. I love Stranger Things and Super 8 and this has a similar tone and feel.

I would much rather they go this route then just try for another or comedy.

I'm sold 100% on this

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    New York happened but the original crew retired or went out of business, now a new ghostly threat has emerged and a new generation has to take up the mantle is basically what they could have and should have done with 2016 rather than an unnecessary reboot. At least with the younger actors in this new one, it's also likely to have an actual script instead of full of the improv that made 2016 rather mediocre in comparison to the original. So with that, a YA adventure in the Ghostbusters universe sounds like a good time.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It really looks tailor made for me so I'm pumped.

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    The trailer looks good and I'm excited to see this. Speaking of Transformers crossover toys apparently SDCC had a limited edition Optimus Prime Ghostbusters crossover.

ja9n3leai6uc.jpg

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That trailer was so good!

My crew suited up in our Ghostbusters 2 montage duds to do two parades this past weekend. A children's hospital parade Saturday morning and a nighttime lights parade Sunday evening.

I'm tasked with talking to Ghost Corps again to make sure they know we're available for promotions next year. I also know a guy who is friends with McKenna Grace (playing "Pheobe" in the new film) and her mom from their time on the Haunting of Hill House set and they're coming into town next month. If we're lucky maybe we'll meet her.

I'm pumped for the new flick, boys, ghouls, and enby Zuuls. You have no idea.

Man I wish there was a group here. I'd love to do more Ghostbusting events.

Yeah, sounds like you don't have a lot of great fan energy in your area. I wish I could send some of my runoff your way. We're at a surplus of applications around here, but thankfully most of them fall away once I ask them to send pictures of them in their gear and ask them to meet up with us at a public event. It's kind of exhausting for me, mentally and emotionally, but I handle it in bursts. Thankfully there's not much to do between New Years and March.

If you ever find a friend who wants to suit up with you though, that's all you need to start. I've got enough pull to put in a good word with the other franchises and I can help you get a patch made.

Yeah, sounds like you don't have a lot of great fan energy in your area. I wish I could send some of my runoff your way. We're at a surplus of applications around here, but thankfully most of them fall away once I ask them to send pictures of them in their gear and ask them to meet up with us at a public event. It's kind of exhausting for me, mentally and emotionally, but I handle it in bursts. Thankfully there's not much to do between New Years and March.

If you ever find a friend who wants to suit up with you though, that's all you need to start. I've got enough pull to put in a good word with the other franchises and I can help you get a patch made.

When the 2016 movie came out I went dressed out sans pack and there was a random guy in full suit and pack outside the theater hanging out. I obviously talked to him a bit and was excited but when I asked if he was seeing the movie he refused for the expected reasons. Sigh.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Important question

Will they bring back ecto cooler again?

When the 2016 movie came out I went dressed out sans pack and there was a random guy in full suit and pack outside the theater hanging out. I obviously talked to him a bit and was excited but when I asked if he was seeing the movie he refused for the expected reasons. Sigh.

why on earth would you dress for a movie you aren't going to see?

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Important question

Seconded.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Important question

Thats already confirmed. New flavors too.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Xaquin wrote: »

I have no idea.

edited December 2019
    Important question

That was a hoax.

A REALLY GOOD hoax but it wasn't official.
    T9AWUSB.jpg

1. Coca-Cola doesn't put cartoon mascots on their products anymore due to the "Joe Camel Rule" about marketing patently unhealthy things to kids.

2. The details at the bottom of the fake ad contain easter eggs rather than information that could be used in a serious ad campaign.

3. " @DrinkEctoCooler " was the account that posted it, which is not the official, blue-checked @EctoCooler account that Coca-Cola owns and which went dark 3 years ago.

If Sony and Coke know what's good for them they'll partner up again, but it isn't like the 1980s where Coca-Cola actually owned Columbia Pictures.

TankHammer on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh boo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

I have no idea.

Some are people who just want attention. Others, just nutballs who come in off the street...

Important question

That was a hoax.

T9AWUSB.jpg

1. Coca-Cola doesn't put cartoon mascots on their products anymore due to the "Joe Camel Rule" about marketing patently unhealthy things to kids.

2. The details at the bottom of the fake ad contain easter eggs rather than information that could be used in a serious ad campaign.

3. " @DrinkEctoCooler " was the account that posted it, which is not the official, blue-checked @EctoCooler account that Coca-Cola owns and which went dark 3 years ago.

If Sony and Coke know what's good for them they'll partner up again, but it isn't like the 1980s where Coca-Cola actually owned Columbia Pictures.

They have cartoon polar bears hawking coke every November and December!

Important question

That was a hoax.

T9AWUSB.jpg

They have cartoon polar bears hawking coke every November and December!

I don't know the minutia of their policies or their definition of "cartoon mascot", I just know that was the stated reason they didn't put Slimer on the packaging in 2016.

The NYC Ghostbusters are producing another run of their rainbow patches and pins benefiting Trinity Place Shelter of anyone wants one.

i9le9wqfazqd.jpg

gdy88dvtokdn.jpg

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSenK8hVSTAEOj1lFWgRiCHx_N7gGaBQRWfJOER3bxTZ29jcKg/viewform?edit_requested=true

I want this so fucking bad. Hasbro you bastards!

So for those who don't know, Kenner produced the original 1986-1991 run of Real Ghostbusters toys. Hasbro bought Kenner in 1991 but the toy rights for Ghostbusters moved around a bit after that, ending up with Mattel for awhile until this past year. Now Hasbro has it back again and they are in full assault mode!

Fuck. Welp. Goodbye money.

Okay I broke down and pre-ordered the damn thing. It just looks so pretty and apparently has all the sounds and features from the video game. I'll probably wire it into my pack since my thrower's been dropped a few too many times by now.

https://youtu.be/Qz_v3v2XBzM

https://youtu.be/aSK_GfEeqcQ

Ghostbusters Italia is going to be hosting their fan film up on their Facebook page starting this Friday and going for 72 hours.

www.ghostbustersitalia.com

Alright the fan film by Ghostbusters Italia has really raised the bar. Tightly paced and spectacularly executed.
    https://youtu.be/HstVgHUUNaA
    Only viewable through tomorrow or so before they pull it so check it out!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Apparently Friendship Ain't Afraid of No Ghosts.
    “​MY LITTLE PONY X GHOSTBUSTERS CROSSOVER Fandoms collide when My Little Pony meets Ghostbusters for a crossover toy CUTIE MARKS AND ECTO-PLASM Crossover Collection Plasmane is an exciting character mashup 4 5-inch figure has a retro My Little Pony form factor with Ghostbusters-inspired design CLASSIC GHOSTBUSTERS MOVIE-INSPIRED PONY Design and Cutie Mark are inspired by the iconic Ghostbusters story Collect a favorite Ghostbusters look in a fresh and different form factor COLLECT AND DISPLAY Figure is a great way for fans of the My Little Pony or Ghostbusters brand to complete their collections Display your figure in the special packaging Ages 4 and up BUILD YOUR COLLECTION Start a collection with Transformers My Little Prime and Power Rangers Morphin Pink Pony My Little Pony figures (Each sold separately Subject to availability), Manufacturer:Hasbro”

https://ghostbustersnews.com/2020/05/02/looks-like-were-getting-a-ghostbusters-my-little-pony-figure/

Plasmane is a pretty good name for a Pony Ghostbuster.

Apparently Friendship Ain't Afraid of No Ghosts.
    “​MY LITTLE PONY X GHOSTBUSTERS CROSSOVER Fandoms collide when My Little Pony meets Ghostbusters for a crossover toy CUTIE MARKS AND ECTO-PLASM Crossover Collection Plasmane is an exciting character mashup 4 5-inch figure has a retro My Little Pony form factor with Ghostbusters-inspired design CLASSIC GHOSTBUSTERS MOVIE-INSPIRED PONY Design and Cutie Mark are inspired by the iconic Ghostbusters story Collect a favorite Ghostbusters look in a fresh and different form factor COLLECT AND DISPLAY Figure is a great way for fans of the My Little Pony or Ghostbusters brand to complete their collections Display your figure in the special packaging Ages 4 and up BUILD YOUR COLLECTION Start a collection with Transformers My Little Prime and Power Rangers Morphin Pink Pony My Little Pony figures (Each sold separately Subject to availability), Manufacturer:Hasbro”

https://ghostbustersnews.com/2020/05/02/looks-like-were-getting-a-ghostbusters-my-little-pony-figure/

Plasmane is a pretty good name for a Pony Ghostbuster.

Fan groups have been quick to point out that MLP has had crossovers with tons of other IPs and Ghostbusters is a prolific whore when it comes to slapping its logo on things. It's tempered any entitled nerd freakouts so far.

Hell, I made myself a slime-green pony in a khaki jumpsuit back when Friendship is Magic was the new hotness and the negatives side of the fandom hadn't yet made itself obvious.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Ghostbusters thread!

I've been putting together a uniform in quarantine to help keep sane. I've so far managed to build the belt gizmo, ghost trap, LifeGard Pass Alarm, and cobble together pieces for the suit. Unfortunately my proton pack became a casualty of the post-covid mail system so won't be able to get to that for a few weeks/month.

I've always wanted a really killer Halloween costume so I'd never have to worry about that type of thing ever again, so I've tried hard not to cut any corners on this one.

I ended up looking at many options for the belt gizmo (Random mobo, 3D print, buncha scraps just glued together), but got hooked on the thrill of the hunt for a vintage Sanyo calculator. After all the flea market hunting turned out negative, I found a man named Spongeface who created his own, "functioning" replica of the logic board, along with accurate bits and bobs. It was a pain to put together, but kind of a nice thing to just sit and get hyper-focused on. I haven't soldered anything since high school, so it was neat to get back into that flow.

49694831043_9150f8fa37_b.jpg

I made the holster from some nice medium-thick leather I found at an art supply store, along with the rivets.

Next up was the trap! I went with Sean Charlesworth's 3D-printable files, after a bit of research and found it was best looking along with him offering true-to-life parts along with it. I had to source a couple knobs myself, but they were rather easy to find. It doesn't slide apart from the base like in the movie, but since it will mostly be living on my uniform I didn't care too much. I'm only missing stickers for it now, but they are caught up in mail-limbo along with my pack.

49652358386_289899c6e2_b.jpg

49742010643_1e3a956036_b.jpg

Created my own dry rub decals for everything too, since these were hard/expensive to find online, and I'm pretty good at movin' pixels around!

49698715902_377305dae2_c.jpg

The Lifegard Pass Alarm was a solid resin mold from GBFans.com, which needed quite a bit of work as it was riddled with air bubbles on the bottom and needed all the holes drilled out, and a more accurate coat of paint. Hit it afterwards with some dark oil paints to make it look nice 'n greasy (and hide any crimes). I bent a coat hanger to shape for the clip on the back. You can use a normal belt clip for this sort of thing, but I wanted to be accurate because I ain't got nothin' but time!

49744014146_69a184f1a8_c.jpg

49747489333_bdf3b11e9e_b.jpg

I'm going with a dark navy blue jumpsuit for now because I think I look good in it, screen-accuracy be damned on this front! I've purchased a few patches to try out however, and the one I ended up getting from the Calgary Ghostbusters looks so good I will probably save it for when I go with a tan suit. The boots were a steal on eBay for $40 (OG Price $250). I had another pair of jungle boots sans-zipper which I wore last year, and it was a pain in the ass getting in and out of 'em so I'm glad I could find a more screen accurate version with zipper at such a cheap price.

49855426963_341328c66a_b.jpg

49856272752_754a0f6383_c.jpg

All that remains is again, the proton pack, which will probably end up being a summer-long build, as well as the ecto-goggles which I already have 3D print files for, but am just awaiting the local 3D print shop to re-open. I have sourced the real pieces for those (head strap, eye cushion), which was a bunch of bullshit in itself due to the states banning the shipment of any military hardware, big or small. So we will see when those things end up showing up....

We will see if I end up joining any Alberta GB guild. I've mostly done this just to have a cool costume, but after all the research necessary for this and everything they look pretty fun!

If I hear the opening riff to the Ghostbusters theme one more time I will probably murder somebody, however!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    If I hear the opening riff to the Ghostbusters theme one more time I will probably murder somebody, however!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Jokes on you, Neil Cicieriga only makes me feel nothing but joy.

Excellent build so far @Cristoval! Spongeface is definitely the one most people go to for their belt gizmos these days.

I know people in the Calgary Ghostbusters and Alberta Ghostbusters franchises I'm pretty sure so if you need someone to make an intro I'll be happy to. Candace and Sean in Calgary are good folks and I know I've seen Alberta do some charities and fun convention visits. Nobody else from the province comes to mind as being particularly active but my circle isn't necessarily an absolute representation of the fandom so ymmv.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Cam Talbot, goaltender last season for the Calgary Flames and before that for the Edmonton Oilers, is a known Ghostbuster. I don't know if he's going back to Calgary, but if he does, just reach out to him. Ought to be pretty easy to get in contact with . . .