As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    He was also on Warehouse 13.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

And in Archer.

I'll miss him.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

And in Archer.

I'll miss him.

Oh man, I'd forgotten how great he was in his Archer appearances.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I keep remembering other things he was in and getting sad all over again.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    What a life, man.

We can only hope to be as cool.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    But he was Space Hitler in Stargate SG1!!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Ok that could be a lot of characters in sg1...

Also damn I didn't realize he was in 3 different star treks

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    As I write this, I find myself thinking of Odo's last scene, saying goodbye to Kira dressed in a dapper tuxedo as he rejoins the great link. It seems like a good way to remember Rene Auberjonois. Farewell and godspeed Mr. Auberjoinois, thank you for all the great memories.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Odo and Quark climb a mountain. Good times.

Children of Time: O'Brien is guilted into abandoning his wife and child, which seems par for the course.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Yeah. He would also play villains and obnoxious people.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    But he was Space Hitler in Stargate SG1!!

So was O'Brian, actually

lota space hitlers in space

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    On a different topic, I just watched the last episode of Enterprise with my wife last night. I hadn't seen it before. The only reason I cared is because I saw Riker on the screen.

That said, I found it perfectly adorable. My reaction at the end was: "Oh, so Enterprise is just one long flashback episode of TNG! I'm ok with that!"

Sidenote: what is up with Plox's creepy CGI smile in his last scene? Is it meant to be somehow endearing? Freaking nightmare fluid if you ask me *shudder*.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Would a female Wesley dampen or intensify fan hatred

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    "Wonderfully rich speaking voice" for Picard. Check.

"Natural walk of a striptease queen" for Beverley wtf?

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Gallic accent when emotional?

• Options
    He says "merde" occasionally. "Gallic accent when emotional" is kind of a dumb idea for the character anyway.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    He's also a natural Yomantic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I just saw the episode where Odo first meets the Changelings

They all made themselves look like subtle variations of Odo for when he met them, right? It's not that they just all happen to look like Odo in humanoid form.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I just saw the episode where Odo first meets the Changelings

They all made themselves look like subtle variations of Odo for when he met them, right? It's not that they just all happen to look like Odo in humanoid form.

Yes.

And then later no because they forgot or something.

• Options
    I always remember Odo sleeping in his pail.

• Options
    Are all casting call sheets this cringe?

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    He says "merde" occasionally. "Gallic accent when emotional" is kind of a dumb idea for the character anyway.

I am imagining Patrick Stewart declaring "eeeeet izzz bullsheeeeet!" when he's rattled and it's pretty hilarious.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Gates McFadden has dance experience so that somewhat fits the creepy casting call for Beverly...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

I am imagining Patrick Stewart declaring "eeeeet izzz bullsheeeeet!" when he's rattled and it's pretty hilarious.

Staring at his fish, smoking a cigarette, he sighs with ennui because replicated cheeses lack a certain je ne sais quoi.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Gates McFadden has dance experience so that somewhat fits the creepy casting call for Beverly...

natural walk of a trained tap dancer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dancing Doctor.

• Options
    At least all 3 of the casting calls for non-white actors went to... Hey wait

• Options
    edited December 2019

I mean, kinda? As far as I'm aware anyway. The whole point of these type of things is that you have a specific idea in mind for the character and you are trying to convey that idea to the casting director so they can find you the people you are looking for. So it's basically full of whatever kind of thing gets that idea across best, with no concern for how it sounds or subtlety or taste.

shryke on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I mean, kinda? As far as I'm aware anyway. The whole point of these type of things is that you have a specific idea in mind for the character and you are trying to convey that idea to the casting director so they can find you the people you are looking for. So it's basically full of whatever kind of thing gets that idea across best, with no concern for how it sounds or subtlety or taste.

But listing no "street types" for the one black character?

yikes

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

natural walk of a trained tap dancer.

I read that as something very different on the first pass.

sig.gif
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

But listing no "street types" for the one black character?

yikes

Like I said, no subtlety or taste. Plus it was the 80s.

But even if you think "that's not the kind of thing you should say" (which is true, you really shouldn't talk like that), you still get what they mean. It's not meant for public consumption so they aren't trying to be politically correct about it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It was the 80s, and it was Roddenberry et al - you know, the guy who used to "audition" young female guest stars in his office, back during TOS?

As I've said before, for all that he gave sold us a vision of a (mostly) enlightened post-scarcity utopia, the man himself was pure Ferengi.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    It was the 80s, and it was Roddenberry et al - you know, the guy who used to "audition" young female guest stars in his office, back during TOS?

As I've said before, for all that he gave sold us a vision of a (mostly) enlightened post-scarcity utopia, the man himself was pure Ferengi.

'beaten. It's so humbling to see "it was the 80s" used as an explanation for this stuff, because TNG is even further in the past now than TOS was when I first watched TNG and I thought TOS was cringe and "it was the 60s" was the reason often given for that stuff too. (smacking around women casually and other forms of sexism, etc)

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's always been a notable gap in the moralizing, too.

War is Bad, Racism is Bad, Drugs are Bad, Sexism is Woo Check Out the Headlights on That One...

• Options
    Oh shit I missed the “no street types” line.

Wowsers.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Fun fact: she was the choreographer for Labyrinth. I could see her offering Wesley to Jareth and him being all "Nah, I'm good, thanks"

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I didn't realize Riker being born in Alaska goes that far back. I think it came up once in an off-hand remark in Lower Decks? Felt more like something a writer made up for that scene than something so vital to the character it was part of the initial casting call and has been carried forward since.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Roddenberry was ... kind of gross, yeah. There are definitely Reasons why McFadden wasn't around in the second season.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I didn't realize Riker being born in Alaska goes that far back. I think it came up once in an off-hand remark in Lower Decks? Felt more like something a writer made up for that scene than something so vital to the character it was part of the initial casting call and has been carried forward since.

It comes up in the episode with his father as well.

This discussion has been closed.