As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I love the build variety that is forming. The random rooms are not all that random still. The polish on everything else is still top notch though.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    When does this join other PC stores?

Probably when Early Access ends, if past Supergiant efforts are an indication. I am waiting as well.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Full release is likely in 2020, or at least that's what I think they've said. It took a lot for me to buy anything off the Epic store but it was worth it - especially as Supergiant still got the full amount despite the reduced price.

As for dialogue, I'm still finding new lines and character interactions at about 50 runs in so there's a lot there. The main plot is on hold a little bit but that's to be expected as the final area and 'ending' are still in development. There's some hints as to what might happen though.

altid on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Question about the Heat skulls. I've been seeing some stuff on early levels that's like locked for 50 skulls. Does that mean I'll get free upgrades if I ever get up to 50 skulls? Or that I could exchange 50 of them for a one-run bonus? Because the latter seems kind of insane, you really don't get a lot of those to play around with.

Also, I saw an elevator with an option to "descend" for about a third or a half of my health gauge. Descend where? Would that have skipped a floor? If so, was there a certain trigger for unlocking that elevator, this is the first I've seen of it.

Skulls work with the pact of punishment, which is basically a way to make the game harder. You activate buffs like more enemies by ‘spending’ heat (you never actually lose it this way as you can deactivate it to get the heat back). If you’ve spent a cumulative 50 heat to make it harder, you will be able to go into that portal. It leads to a challenge room where you can get the reward it shows for passing the challenge.

As for the elevator, it’s a special type of room. Can’t really say more than that but I’d recommend trying it. There aren’t any enemies in it and the health hit isn’t a huge problem once you’ve upgraded starting health.

Just a heads up that a major update went out a few days ago. It adds the fourth (and probably final?) area to the game. I haven't had much time to play it beyond a brief glance at the final zone though.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This is still exclusive to EGS yeah?

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Just a heads up that a major update went out a few days ago. It adds the fourth (and probably final?) area to the game. I haven't had much time to play it beyond a brief glance at the final zone though.

I can get to the final zone pretty consistently, but.. I kinda dont want to any more. The huge change up in level design wiped away my interest in the game.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »

I can get to the final zone pretty consistently, but.. I kinda dont want to any more. The huge change up in level design wiped away my interest in the game.

Could you elaborate on this? I was waiting for this drop to come back to try out a full run.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This is still exclusive to EGS yeah?

I believe it'll come to Steam when it's out of Early Access/whatever EGS' equivalent is. Which is probably the one type of EGS exclusivity I can tolerate.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »

Could you elaborate on this? I was waiting for this drop to come back to try out a full run.

Suddenly you're in super tight spaces that make avoiding damage near impossible. There's poison everywhere, medusa heads that just tick your life down any time they can see you, and there's not really much of a chance to heal all the chip damage.

Supergiant is 10 years old now! As part of their celebratory announcment, they announced the Steam version! 10th December!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

(also their other games are on sale if you don't already have them)

At risk of sounding a bit too much like PR here, but... Hades released on steam today!

Comes with a giftable copy of Pyre. Similarly, they've given away a copy of the soundtrack to those who bought it on EGS.

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Hades is incredible and has been since its first public release.

Is there an ETA on a 1.0 release yet?

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Just bought this, I remember seeing something about it a while back and the art looks fantastic. Looking forward to playing it when I get off work tomorrow.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Hades is incredible and has been since its first public release.

Is there an ETA on a 1.0 release yet?

"When it's done," but based on how long previous games took to develop they expect it'll probably leave EA in Summer 2020.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    This is an interesting rebalance pass. God powers are better, but stuff we've gotten used to seeing like gold jars, treasure troves, and the like, are all out of the rooms until you buy them with gemstones. Certainly more things to work on than just some cosmetics.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I got the first Titan Blood, but Achilles isn't saying anything about it.

Who do I show this thing to?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think Titan Blood is a post-game thing, from my brief googling.

I like how human the gods are in this; like a big bickering family. Dad's mad cause the son acting out has upset the dog, who's trashed the living room, except the dog is Cerberus and the living room is an entire wing of the palace.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited December 2019
    Small little beginner QoL tips:
    Choose keys whenever you can for your first several runs so that you can unlock all the weapons and work on unlocking upgrades. Each run highlights a weapon for a Darkness bonus so if you unlock all of the weapons you will be able to choose the weapon with the bonus every time (if you want). Don't worry about not choosing Darkness rooms as you'll be forced to choose Darkness rooms at set intervals anyways for the first couple of runs. Also, you probably won't be able to make it very far so you won't be able to accumulate a meaningful amount of Darkness to upgrade yourself for a while.

Give the first bottle of nectar you get to Cerberus. He'll give you his choker which gives you a starting health bonus. Combine that with the first piece of advice and by the time you've fully upgraded the choker you'll be at the point where you've unlocked multiple upgrade options and will be able to go on longer runs for greater Darkness gains.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    Really liking this game. Got up to the Garden on my 5th run I think using the bow. It felt weak at first but the special is really good for clearing small dudes(range is nice too). It is probably the only reason I got past the second boss.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    oops

Jubal77 on
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Really liking this game. Got up to the Garden on my 5th run I think using the bow. It felt weak at first but the special is really good for clearing small dudes(range is nice too). It is probably the only reason I got past the second boss.

Yeah, I actually feel like the bow's special attack is stronger than its basic attack. You can use it to clear lots of enemy projectiles, clear small enemies, and actually clear large enemies and some bosses really fast if you're willing to risk getting up close and using it as a shotgun.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    edited December 2019
    Be sure to turn the default aim assist off. That crap has betrayed me this whole time.

Cantido on
    Cantido wrote: »

Its use unlocked for me the run after I got all the weapons. I haven't had a successful run yet, though, that might speed it up.

Glazius wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Its use unlocked for me the run after I got all the weapons. I haven't had a successful run yet, though, that might speed it up.

And now I have had a successful run! It looks like the Supergiant Multivariable Difficulty System (tm) isn't requiring you to clear at a difficulty before you can turn it up and reset the big rewards. Or maybe that's just level 1, but honestly, that's fine. That's enough diamonds to upgrade my remaining pickups! Eventually.

edited December 2019
    Got to the final(?) boss twice now and just about had it on my second try. Had roughly this loadout of boons.

Using Bow
    - Lightning on dash
    - Lightning special with 4x attack from Daedalus upgrade
    - Lightning strikes twice at 59% chance
    - Poseidon Call
    - Crit chance from Artemis
    - somewhere around 250 health

Thought I had it but was gotten by the
    lazers

Myiagros on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Theseus is a dick.

I'm really liking the game though! I think the Bow is my favorite weapon, using the sword feels like I'm mashing buttons instead of strategically moving around and executing my enemies.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I gravitated towards bow initially, but the sword and spear can both put out some incredible damage if they're built right, and spear was what I won with first. Get a couple of Daedalus upgrades and just laugh your way to victory.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    Where the hell are Zeus and Ares?

I meet them approximately never.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Can't believe I missed this! Straight to wishlist.

steam_sig.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Something about this update or my old slowness means I haven't gotten to the end recently. The sword is still my best because damn its versatile with right upgrades. I agree with the spear. I basically melted the end or act 2 in with a couple Daedalus upgrades on it. Usually one of my least favorite weapons though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I got a sick build with Chiron Coronacht going with the first room being a Daedalus hammer giving me +4 shots to the special, which literally doubled the damage of the seeking Qs since you only start out with 3

i got twin shot later on with Ares on main attack, Artemis on Special, and Athena on Cast with the Expose boon for what became a hilariously absurd "land shot, then hit q twice for huge damage that doesn't miss except against shield enemies"

needless to say I blew through that round

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    The triple-whammy of "exists outside the Epic store", "20% off", and "free Pyre which I totally forgot to buy" lead to me playing this finally. Even if I probably should have waited for early access to end.

I did not expect the shield to be my most consistently-successful weapon, but that appears to be where we're at. My first time clearing Asphodel and my first time reaching the boss of Elysium were both with the shield.

Although my last run (apparently run number 8, according to the scrying pool) turned out to be a doozy, and that one was with the sword. Replace attack with a powerful overhead strike, attack and special are stronger and deflect, dash attack is stronger and hits twice, knockback explosion after a dash, explosion on wall slam, Poseidon call...it was my first time to Styx, and to be perfectly frank I have no idea what's actually up there, because I would walk into a room and it would instantly devolve into a chain of screen-filling explosions and then everything would be dead. Unfortunately I got overly dependent on dash attacks and died to AoEs in the second phase of the Styx boss fight. Soon though! Soon...
    I feel like I probably missed out on a lot of dialogue from Hades by getting this far so quickly. It doesn't look like he'll be back any time soon...

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I feel like I probably missed out on a lot of dialogue from Hades by getting this far so quickly. It doesn't look like he'll be back any time soon...

It's cool, that only happens when
    you lose specifically to him as the final boss. Wipe out earlier and he'll be back and as bad dad as ever.

edited December 2019
    I find myself looking forward to the next Olympian and their set of boons (who else is left? Apollo, Hera, Hephaestus, Hestia?) despite the fact that I haven't even done much with the
    Pact of Punishment yet. Still working on raising my heat levels and finishing out the Mirror of Darkness; just have the rerolls to unlock now but boy they cost a lot.

Orphane on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I really like the gun and got my first win with it. Also a dumb build that had the Artemis boon that creates seeking arrows on each hit. So I could just dakka dakka and arrows would fly around hitting everything and the DPS was just dumb.

The Shield is also really fun slamming people into walls.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    unknown.png?width=1021&height=575

managed a sweet run with Stygius where i went Nemesis Aspect, World Splitter + Armor Slayer as Daedalus upgrades, then Athena's backstab status and a very lucky Chaos Epic boon to get incredible crits - i was doing like ~590 crits normally and upwards of 1500 with all statuses applied + shot bonus

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I got out finally with the sword. It was nuts how hard I hit. My backstabs were like 320 and I had near constant crits. Always had the bonus damage from two effects from poison and doom.

Just fantastic. I am shaking from the rush.

u7stthr17eud.png
    What monster designed the long, miserable, shitty fight that is the bone Hydra.