As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rubber(?) splitting block

CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
edited December 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
My Father-in-law has a concrete backyard and likes to burn some wood in the summer. Unfortunately he's been splitting kindling on said concrete. We'd like to pick him up an artificial splitting round to split on but those apparently aren't a thing? I'm a little baffled by how hard it is to find one considering we both have clear mental images of the same thing.

I might be able to procure a natural one with some effort but given the area it'd be a little difficult plus I'm worried about weight and footprint.

Any one have any ideas?

Carpy on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't know much about splitting wood, what's the issue with doing it on concrete with a log section for a splitting round?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    There's not an issue with using a natural round aside from difficulty in procurement. He's splitting those bundles of quartered rounds that you can buy at Home Depot so they're not usable as a surface. I've not been able to find unsplit rounds for sale anywhere near us.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Maybe contact a local landscaping company or arborist that does tree removal and see if they can either sell you a round or point you in the right direction?

• Options
    That's a good call. Hadn't thought of checking with tree removal company. I'll look into that

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Go to the local dump and go to the wood barn, find a fresh log and take it out

Enc on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    When I visited my folks a couple weeks ago, I noticed that most of their wood supply was insufficiently split for the size of their fireplace. My dad's getting a bit old to want to swing around an axe to split it himself; does there exist a gizmo to help non-lumberjack people to split wood for burning?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, a small 2-pound handaxe and standard hammer will do it without much effort. Tap the handaxe into the top of the log, then tap the handaxe with a hammer. Takes a few seconds longer, but with already split logs should make short work of whatever they are burning.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Maybe something like this, Fry?
    https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=hydraulic log splitter

There are also electric versions available, but they're more expensive.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerSmart-6-Ton-15-Amp-Electric-Log-Splitter-PS90/301185740

You might want to check at your local hardware store and see if they do rentals, might be a little cheaper up front and you could figure out what fits your parent's needs.