As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brickset also reviewed that new Speed Champions Ferrari recently:
    https://brickset.com/article/47591/review-76895-ferrari-f8-tributo
    Once again: I am not a car guy, but holy moly does that look good.

It's crazy how different building techniques are now from even ten years ago. Granted, we didn't have as many awesome SNOT-enabling brackets, or curved pieces, or pieces cut off at angles back then, but the fact that those pieces were created and are used heavily in relatively small and simple Lego sets is indicative of the sophistication and trajectory of modern Lego builds.

My first big set, the Space Police 2 Galactic Mediator, had 6 big SNOTty pieces: 2 "Brick Special 2 x 4 x 2 with Studs on Sides", and 4 "Brick 2 x 4 x 2 with Holes on Sides and Struts". You know what these were used for? Attaching one other piece each, fins and thrusters. They were purely decorative! Now something like this would form the core of a build, and you'd build the entire shell of a model in like 10 different directions, instead of just bottom-to-top.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

It's crazy how different building techniques are now from even ten years ago. Granted, we didn't have as many awesome SNOT-enabling brackets, or curved pieces, or pieces cut off at angles back then, but the fact that those pieces were created and are used heavily in relatively small and simple Lego sets is indicative of the sophistication and trajectory of modern Lego builds.

My first big set, the Space Police 2 Galactic Mediator, had 6 big SNOTty pieces: 2 "Brick Special 2 x 4 x 2 with Studs on Sides", and 4 "Brick 2 x 4 x 2 with Holes on Sides and Struts". You know what these were used for? Attaching one other piece each, fins and thrusters. They were purely decorative! Now something like this would form the core of a build, and you'd build the entire shell of a model in like 10 different directions, instead of just bottom-to-top.

I'll probably get this one since it is the first that I think looks really accurate at the scale since the Mini Cooper.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

I love the look of this set so much. Can't wait to get it.

My family secret santa wishlist was books and a bunch of speed champions sets

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    My Assembly Square is shipping, so that'll be my Christmas day sorted out.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I may or may not have picked out my in-laws gift to me this year, the Lego Technic Rally Car. Excited, as this has been on my list for over a year.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Oh wow, that Speed Champions car looks amazing. Like.. it's insane how much of a difference that makes.

Edit: Damn, the price only went up to $18?! That's incredible!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Compared to previous Speed Champions sets, that really is a model instead of an approximation if you squint and tilt your head.

Are all Speed Champions sets going with this frame from now on?

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    VadersVault OB4 (Obi-Wan Kenobi) custom lightsaber next to its Lego-ized counterpart:

gvbveb9u5b0q.jpg

Also, Lego made and gave these out to their employees as exclusive gifts this holiday season: a Christmas (er, sorry -- Life Day) themed Star Wars X(-Mas)-Wing Starfigther! Looks pretty crazy cool.

https://youtu.be/inZYPl0VBQY

Don't look at the aftermarket prices for this set on eBay. They'll give you a heart attack. :D

Renzo wrote: »
    Compared to previous Speed Champions sets, that really is a model instead of an approximation if you squint and tilt your head.

Are all Speed Champions sets going with this frame from now on?

Yeah, apparently all the Speed Champions sets will be going with 8-stud wide builds from now on moving forward.

Raiju on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I got home from work last night to find out that my wife had sweet talked customer service into sending her mini-gingerbread promo.

She's getting the big gingerbread house for Christmas. It isn't a surprise, we ordered it back during the Black Friday sale. When like 2 weeks later she saw there was a mini version of it being given out she was so bummed out that we didn't wait. So after saying she was going to do it for a few days she finally calls them. Apparently they pulled up my VIP account and told her, "I see your family buys a lot of Lego." That was enough for them to send one to her. Sometimes she amazes me.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I got home from work last night to find out that my wife had sweet talked customer service into sending her mini-gingerbread promo.

She's getting the big gingerbread house for Christmas. It isn't a surprise, we ordered it back during the Black Friday sale. When like 2 weeks later she saw there was a mini version of it being given out she was so bummed out that we didn't wait. So after saying she was going to do it for a few days she finally calls them. Apparently they pulled up my VIP account and told her, "I see your family buys a lot of Lego." That was enough for them to send one to her. Sometimes she amazes me.

Nice! Never thought of that when I didn't realize they were going to release the mini kit.

I went and bought two of the people packs and another kit to get one. Figured I wanted the space and fair people packs for a while and this was a good excuse to pick them up.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Random 2020 sets have appeared at one of my Targets today so I bought the Hidden Side Biplane.

Who is this for:
    -Hidden Side Fans
    -Biplane Fans
    -Specifically Fans of the Real Ghostbusters Ecto-Bomber

This thing is really cool and would be incredibly easy to de-ghostbuster it to make it a normal racing biplane or even a WW1 fighter bomber since it already has a rear facing gunner seat with gun mount. It uses those new candle flame pieces first used in the current Harry Potter line as exhaust flames which look far better than the super old dragon breath flame pieces of yore. Also it has a very smooth and rounded hull and the Hidden Side color splotches for the app are either hidden very well or really easily removed.

As an aside, I didn't really follow what the plot of the first wave was but I thought the School Janitor was also El Fuego, the driver of the monster truck helping the teens. Well apparently shit went real bad for him as El Fuego is now an animated skeleton, still helping the teens. I can only image some reverse version of Willy from the Simpsons getting burned alive in the Treehouse of Horrors episode but helpful and less murdery.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Lego Friends Disney stuff seems surprisingly good. I am very impressed with this Aladdin set. shjjsbx4vu95.jpg

Edit: Burpette has decided that the object beside Jasmine in that photo is a toilet. I'm not entirely sure she's correct but I lack any better ideas

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The Lego Friends Disney stuff seems surprisingly good. I am very impressed with this Aladdin set. shjjsbx4vu95.jpg

Edit: Burpette has decided that the object beside Jasmine in that photo is a toilet. I'm not entirely sure she's correct but I lack any better ideas

"The Royal Throne*"

oh h*ck
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I don't want to poo-poo (heh) Burpette's idea, but my guess would be a wash basin and mirror.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My wife is about 1/4 to 1/3 through the UCS Millennium Falcon. It is just so fucking big! It's real impressive.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Anyone bought the Veyron? I've been debating it as a 'stash it in the closet until my son is 10' one...

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    Anyone bought the Veyron? I've been debating it as a 'stash it in the closet until my son is 10' one...

It's a fun build, my one problem with that set and the Porche is all the interesting guts are hidden once it's built.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Happy New Year!

A shot of the Lego Limited Edition 1989 Batmobile and my MOC Tumbler Batmobile side-by-side. Really love how they look together! The 1989 version is a nicely designed build that should have gotten a mass release instead of being a GWP only available for a limited time with the UCS 1989 Batmobile (which I'll try to get a jump on building next soon).

7q0f3y728qeb.jpg

• Options
    Progress shot of the UCS Millennium Falcon my Wife is working through. It's really coming together! So many bits though. So many bits.

pw4mjh63ppiw.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Has anyone sold polybag sets before? I have 30+ different ones and I really don't want to drive across town to sell something for $3. Some thoughts or advice?

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I've bought them online. eBay or Bricklink was my source. I don't know if you want to deal with the overhead on that route, though.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Has anyone sold polybag sets before? I have 30+ different ones and I really don't want to drive across town to sell something for $3. Some thoughts or advice?

I've seen them on eBay, normally as those "low initial bid, but surprise$15 S&H" kind of auctions.
    But, I haven't sold any Lego personally. Depending on what you have you might have better luck putting them on eBay as a bulk lot.

• Options
    The new Sith TIE Fighter and Poe's X-Wing are up for sale now and I almost fell out of my chair looking at the prices. $80 and $90 respectively.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Is that good or bad?

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    $80 for a 470 piece set is highway robbery. 17 cents per piece!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The Star Wars tax is strong with this one.

Although I prefer the Black version the Poe flew in TFA:

2Yv5tr9.jpg

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Poe's X-Wing is a great set that is fairly easy to mod into an even better, movie accurate version. Offsetting the wings so that they close flat is very much worth it!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ql8eG

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i really don't like the new xwing design.

the single huge split engine looks so ridiculous with the wings open.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

For reference, 10 cents a piece is generally average for a non-licensed set, and 12-14 generally covered the Star Wars tax.
    Is this adding on an additional Disney tax?

Cause I want that TIE, but I think this is going to have to wait for a sale.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

For reference, 10 cents a piece is generally average for a non-licensed set, and 12-14 generally covered the Star Wars tax.

Even the UCS Falcon only comes it at roughly 10.6 cents a piece, so I think it's just trying to squeeze a big ROI out of a set a lot of people are going to buy.

Speaking of the UCS Falcon, I'm now browsing Craigslist for glass topped coffee tables with shelves so I can properly display it once completed. I've found a couple that are less than $200 that have a good design and reached out. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Even the UCS Falcon only comes it at roughly 10.6 cents a piece, so I think it's just trying to squeeze a big ROI out of a set a lot of people are going to buy.

Speaking of the UCS Falcon, I'm now browsing Craigslist for glass topped coffee tables with shelves so I can properly display it once completed. I've found a couple that are less than $200 that have a good design and reached out. Fingers crossed!

I wish I could find a table for my Falcon, but still looking. Almost bought some of those wall mount things instead.

On another note, I found the new Poe X-Wing bag at my Walmart as well as a Captain Marvel. Thought the Captain Marvel came with Maria but it is Fury.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I wish I could find a table for my Falcon, but still looking. Almost bought some of those wall mount things instead.

On another note, I found the new Poe X-Wing bag at my Walmart as well as a Captain Marvel. Thought the Captain Marvel came with Maria but it is Fury.

I've found 3 tables, all three of which could be re-painted to match our our decor. One of which has drawers underneath the display table which would be super nice, and most closely fits in with a country aesthetic. .

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Wal-Mart had some clearances today. I managed to behave except for the chicken farm set from Minecraft. It's just too goofy to resist for eleven bucks. My store had a decent batch of Lego Movie 2 and Overwatch sets at forty to fifty percent off.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My wife took my Benny minifig with us to NASA today to see the spaceships. We took a bunch of photos, then at the end we lost him inside a christmas light display. She's very upset, but at least he's where he would be happiest.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    My wife took my Benny minifig with us to NASA today to see the spaceships. We took a bunch of photos, then at the end we lost him inside a christmas light display. She's very upset, but at least he's where he would be happiest.

• Options
    I've never wanted a book so much.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I keep seeing Star Wars tax cited for Lego prices but as someone who buys a lot of City... Some sets just have absurd price per part prices.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    That winter chalet is making me feel things.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    That winter chalet is making me feel things.

I like that one the most, which unfortunately means it won’t ever get picked.

This discussion has been closed.