As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, if you
    Go in really ASAP you get to the doorway before the up and then start taking damage when it gets low enough to get through the door, if you hover and get lucky there probably can do it without taking much damage.

Made the jump to the other half the station this time and it seems it's pretty much a waste of time and just a quicker way to be killed by the sun, damn.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The sun station has one of the most important pieces of story information in the game...

• Options
    Well shit. Did I miss something?
    I didn't read all the actual notes (I figured I didn't have much time and I was correct), but the notes say they tried to make the sun go nova and that's it's about to go nova. Anything else? The former is mildly interesting, but doesn't help the current situation and the latter isn't news.

• Options
    It's been a while since I played, and a patch since then says they modified the entries so I might be wrong, but if your journal has the "more to explore here" for the sun station you really want to go back and look for another wall scribble

• Options
    edited September 2019
    A lot of the places have new stuff and DON'T have the "more to explore here tag" though the icon for the location will be ? until you find everything it seems. The Station is filled in and no explore more tag. To a wiki! And looks like I didn't miss anything so that's good.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I didn't read all the actual notes (I figured I didn't have much time and I was correct), but the notes say they tried to make the sun go nova and that's it's about to go nova. Anything else? The former is mildly interesting, but doesn't help the current situation and the latter isn't news.

This is a spoiler for what you're supposed to find out about what they tried to do. I'm pretty sure at this point you should have found this information or at least should be able to find it.
    They tried to make the sun go supernova but failed. They discovered that it was just plain impossible to make it happen.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

This is a spoiler for what you're supposed to find out about what they tried to do. I'm pretty sure at this point you should have found this information or at least should be able to find it.
    They tried to make the sun go supernova but failed. They discovered that it was just plain impossible to make it happen.

My own experience:
    This was a huge whoa moment for me as it did two things. It a) Blew up my theory that they made it go nova and that’s why they died and were just caught in an endless loop thereafter and b) that since they weren’t the reason it happened, something else killed them en masse, and there is no stopping the sun from dying. I had to sit back for a moment after that, was a huge revelation.

• Options
    That's just confusing me now that I've been to the core of Ash:
    The station failed before, but now it's not it seems as it's the whole reason you have 22 minutes to live now. Canon fires, the station makes the sun go nova 22 min later. Guess they solved it failing?

It was pretty obvious the sun going nova didn't kill them, as the sun was still there and I don't think the backstory happened in 22 minutes.

I did get the "You are dead." ending so loop broken! YAY!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Major spoilers re: sun station
    the sun has reached the natural endpoint of its lifespan and is going nova all on its own. The station is just collecting the power from it and transmitting it to the cannon and the memory bank. It's already going nova the moment you wake up, it just takes 22 minutes for the reaction to cause the sun to start expanding

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    You, uh, weren't paying close enough attention. Did you go to the observatory on Brittle Hollow?
    The cannon firing is launching the probe to find the Eye of the Universe. The Ash Twin project needs the power of a supernova to send information back in time. The sun is naturally going supernova and the project activated because the machinery still worked. The ending is powering up the Vessel to go to the coordinates of the Eye.

• Options
    Well I did miss
    it's natural since I got the time fuckery mixed up. But got the rest.

Think all I have to do is find the Vessel now (and probably bring the warp drive to it which seems clunky. Assuming it's the right drive in the ash twin core).

• Options
    Setting you back on the right track a bit on that thing that shoots out overhead when you wake up.
    That's not a cannon firing into the sun to blow it up. It's a probe shooting out to look for something.

• Options
    Yeah, I got that. I thought initially the station was just doing it's own thing separate.

Finished it, realized I never found the
    Quantum Moon.

But the ending is such mostly a nonsense nothing no desire to bother to go back.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got that. I thought initially the station was just doing it's own thing separate.

Quantum Moon.

But the ending is such mostly a nonsense nothing no desire to bother to go back.
    Quantum Moon fills in a lot of the details of what's going on and changes the ending.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    This is out on PS4 now!

• Options

Quantum Moon.

Quantum Moon fills in a lot of the details of what's going on and changes the ending.

Looked it up and it doesn't seem to make any difference minus 1 character being there or not.

• Options

Quantum Moon.

Looked it up and it doesn't seem to make any difference minus 1 character being there or not.
    Life gets seeded into the new universe if you have Solanum there

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Someone who works on The Simpsons likes Outer Wilds so much he mentioned it in his custom name in the credits for the Treehouse of Horror episode:

PdaGQKl.jpg?1

His side note: "I initially intended for a second line below my name to say 'Happy Brittle Hollow-ween', but it didn't work out"

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Bumping this because I'm a dick.

Also this game rules.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Wow I am so excited for this! Another Obsidian RPG!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Listening to the soundtrack, and it reminded me of this one moment in the game that hit me hard, and still kinda does. I'm in the Hanging city, and the piano around 1:10 of this track is coming up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHm-GAuy8CI&feature=youtu.be&t=70
    I was returning to it at a point after I had been to the core of the interloper, and I remembered that one classroom. When I had first found it, I wasn't really thinking about what happened to those kids. Figured they probably grew up, y'know? But after the interloper you start looking at things differently, and I realized that if their classrooms are like ours, student projects like that probably wouldn't stay in the classroom for long. Like, the teacher will grade them within a few days and then return them to the students to take home. So if those projects are still in the classroom, those kids died what, maybe the day after they turned it in? And so I just have to pause for a second because I realized that a few hours ago I had read something a kid wrote a few days before they died suddenly and painfully and everyone they'd ever known died with them.

cB557 on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Discovering the mystery of the Interloper and then figuring out that the kids I played hide-and-seek with on Timber Hearth were about to meet the same fate as the Nomai kids was an "ah, damn" moment.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Well, not quite:
    The hide and seek kids are going to get supernova'ed, the alien kids got ghost mattered. It some pretty shitty luck either way, I grant you.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm having a big problem with the PS4 version of the game. Twice so far, it crashed shortly after a reset, and both times, it corrupted my save file so I had to start over! Much as I appreciate the nested Groundhog Days this implies, I can't play the game like this. Is this a known bug? Any way to fix it?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    After doing some research, it looks like the save corruption bug is pretty common for the PS4. There's a post about it on the developer's page, but it was back in October and was just acknowledging the issue and that they are working on it. The latest patch was on December 3rd, so either it didn't cover that problem or it didn't work to fix it. I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed. I was looking forward to playing this game for a while, and now I just want to wait for this to be fixed before starting again. I feel like a Bloodstained supporter who picked the Switch.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Yeah, stuff like that is becoming too common. Shame, good game.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So, I sat on the end game for a while.

END GAME SPOILERS

So I figure out that sun explosion was just going to happen. There was no stopping it. And when I got into the Ash Twin project and realize that I could stop the loop....I couldn't do it. I can't face the idea of a forever end.

Then, randomly I started thinking about this game the last few days and I started tracing everything in my head and I thought about the Vessel. And how there was a broken warp core in there. Then I thought, maybe....just maybe I can bring the warp core from the Ash Twin project to the vessel. I can't stop the universe from dying, but at the very least I can complete the journey the Noami started. So Yesterday I relearn how to fly that damn ship, relearned how to get to the Vessel, and then I completed the journey.

I'm not going to even try to explain what happens next. The ending of this game is an ending that should be witnessed first hand. But best way I can describe it is that it was a religious experience. I couldn't stop the end. But I could at least witness the beginning.

People, don't sit on this game. It can be frustrating at times, but it all adds up to a most satisfying ending. This is the Game of The Year.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I’m trying to get back into this

I was really frustrated and then I made one cool discovery and it washed everything else away
    Quantum rocks, dude! This rules!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    So I have visited everywhere except Giant's Deep

I am terrified of oceans in reality and in games

how spooky-scary is Giant's Deep

you'd think that'd be the planet with enormous fish monsters, but they sure did put those somewhere else so far

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I am also immensely scared of oceans but managed to do what I needed to do in Giant's Deep (although IIRC I looked up a guide so I didn't have to spend a second more than I had to)

I don't know if that helps at all

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Giants deep
    there's only one thing to find underwater, most of what's there is above the surface

• Options
    After you finish Outer Wilds, Mr G and Eddy, give Subnautica a try! :P

Giants Deep is pretty tame compared to other places.

• Options
    absolutely not

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Hourglass Twins
    well, didn’t expect to find a cave full of dead kids, but here I am

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    gonna go ahead and keep sending out idle thoughts here as I trudge along

Quantum Moon
    you know what's a real bad feeling?

finally getting to this goddamn thing, finding the shrine, realizing I need to move it to the other pole, and instead of walking there myself I think "oh I'll just hop over in my ship"

and I hit the liftoff slightly too hard and I just ever so slightly go through the atmosphere and the entire thing vanishes beneath me

bad! don't like it!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    *quantum*

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I think I'm starting to approach the end here

here is what I have done and still need to do
    I have
    - gone to the Quantum Moon and talked to the ghost Nomai who told me "hey check it out, the Eye of the Universe is up there, neat"
    - went to the Sun Station and found that they were trying to blow up the sun
    - visited the Interloper and discovered the source of Ghost Matter and the death of the Nomai
    - realized how weird it is that so far the stuff on the planets has been critical for your knowledge of how to get through the game but doesn't appear to be plot essential

here's what my leads are currently:
    - gotta go to the High Energy Lab
    - gotta get to the Ash Twin Project which sure seems like the linchpin of the whole game
    - figure out where all the other warp towers on Ash Twin go to, and I'm guessing one of them leads to the Project
    - I have completely avoided doing absolutely anything on Dark Bramble

and here's hoping stuff about how to finish the game clicks from there, cause through osmosis all I've heard is "something something warp core"

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I'm so deeply unhappy I've done everything there is to do without going to Dark Bramble

I need strength

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    You can't fight anglerfish so actually strength will not help you.