As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Inquisitors getting decent rules had me paint up some assorted inquisitorial stuff. Plus a bonus sniper guy on a cthulhu horse.
    MFY6WM4.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I need somebody to convince me not to get into this. Arguments you should use:

1. They're too expensive.
    2. I'm bad at scheduling games to use them in.
    3. My hands are too shaky for detailed painting at that scale.
    4. I have no artistic talent anyway.
    5. I have nowhere to adequately store or display such a collection.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I'm trying to decide between two potential directions for my Sisters of Battle (a third direction involves doing blue details but I don't have an example painted up) obviously drastically unfinished, the basic colors are all there. I might go with a different eye color on the red one even if I go that direction.

8PV16ODl.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

1 depends on what you want to paint.
    2 Depends on the above
    3 At least you tired to paint as many can attest to the sea of grey plastic they faced
    4 Everyone has artistic talent just learning to use it varies person to person
    5 plano makes tons of plastic containers

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    In all seriousness, a question:

What's the smell factor like? My partner has a very sensitive sense of smell, and I do work in a cubicle surrounded by other cubicles. I'd like to get into painting stuff while I'm at work (it's a call center, they don't care what we do between calls) so that I'm not staring at my computer screen all day every day. But if the smell is overpowering then I imagine my coworkers wouldn't appreciate it.

What's the smell factor like? My partner has a very sensitive sense of smell, and I do work in a cubicle surrounded by other cubicles. I'd like to get into painting stuff while I'm at work (it's a call center, they don't care what we do between calls) so that I'm not staring at my computer screen all day every day. But if the smell is overpowering then I imagine my coworkers wouldn't appreciate it.

@Stragint can answer this

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

There's almost no smell in painting, I'd honestly say none but you never know with other people (and might be the one odd paint), but glue the stuff at home.

Tastyfish on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

@Stragint can answer this

I painted with GW, Vallejo, and scale 75 acrylic paints at work with zero issue. Basically no scent.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So I'm trying to decide between two potential directions for my Sisters of Battle (a third direction involves doing blue details but I don't have an example painted up) obviously drastically unfinished, the basic colors are all there. I might go with a different eye color on the red one even if I go that direction.

8PV16ODl.png

Personally I like the white mask & pauldron decorations more (combined with the grey armor it really brings charcoal to mind), but the red looks good too. Maybe do one for regular sisters and the other for retributors/dominions, or seraphim/celestians, the way Space Marines differentiate their infantry types?

If you go with the red, I'd argue for sticking with the yellow eyes. It has a good contrast, and I feel like it keeps to the fire theme you're aiming for better than alternatives that would have such contrast. Granted, any match flame has some blue & purple near the base, but it's not what people think of to represent fire, the same way yellow is a staple color for electricity but when's the last time you saw a yellow lightning bolt?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

8PV16ODl.png

Personally I like the white mask & pauldron decorations more (combined with the grey armor it really brings charcoal to mind), but the red looks good too. Maybe do one for regular sisters and the other for retributors/dominions, or seraphim/celestians, the way Space Marines differentiate their infantry types?

If you go with the red, I'd argue for sticking with the yellow eyes. It has a good contrast, and I feel like it keeps to the fire theme you're aiming for better than alternatives that would have such contrast. Granted, any match flame has some blue & purple near the base, but it's not what people think of to represent fire, the same way yellow is a staple color for electricity but when's the last time you saw a yellow lightning bolt?
    b1QpX1s.png

:P

Fair point though. And I agree I like the white, but the Red might look good on the heavy weapons squads, yeah.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It's been awhile since I've posted pictures. A friend of mine got the Batman Knight's Miniature Kickstarter and gave me the Hero's box to paint for them. So I've been working on these. Some of the models are super awesome.
    unknown.png

I also got some of the snap fit ghostiebois and painted one up for my DnD Hexblade:

unknown.png

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    a

1. You can sort of budget do this but the more expensive minis will draw your eye
    2. I am getting ready to paint a 3rd full army for warhammer and I can play maybe 1 full game a year. it happens, I just enjoy the hobby portion that much
    3. This isn't a huge thing, place your wrists together while holding a mini/brush and your hands will shake in unison, effectively negating the shaking.
    4. I don't either, painting minis is one of those things that at its base, is paint by numbers, but you get amazing results with a little bit of technique exploration.
    5. Noone really does, cheap detolf's from ikea are your friend

edit: I have a pretty strong sense of smell, and paints have a faint smell, but not like fumes or anything. next cubicle over shouldnt be able to smell anything. alchohol based primer smells stronger than paint but shouldn't cause an issue.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    9kxvq352ey6m.jpeg
    Guild ball cook model.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Draeven wrote: »
    9kxvq352ey6m.jpeg
    Guild ball cook model.

What is guild ball I see it pop up now and again on ebay. it looks like blood bowl but when you could play it in dungeons

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    It's I Can't Believe It's Not Blood Bowl, basically.

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Well the transfers didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, but first Ultramarines tank done-ish.

33dvkkm.jpg

Always been intimidated by tanks and avoided them. However, there's so many Forgeworld tanks I've loved over the years that now that I'm running proper Space Marines, why not go for it. Photos always reveal so many missed fixes though.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Really lovely shade of blue

Just ordered the Reaper "Learn to Paint" kit, plus a Citadel painting handle and a wet palette. Bit of an upfront investment for something I'm not sure about, but at the same time I feel like the handle + palette will make me more likely to enjoy it in the first place.

Got my eyes set on eventually painting this champ if things turn out well.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Painting handles seem like a dumb waste of money but they are legit nice. I just wish the handle had some weight in it to prevent tipping over.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Badablack wrote: »
    Painting handles seem like a dumb waste of money but they are legit nice. I just wish the handle had some weight in it to prevent tipping over.

I'm surprised that they don't.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to add some with some washers or something, but it seems like it ought to already have a weighted base.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I like the citadel painting handle I do like the assembly one as putting together necrons the various flavors of aeldari and daughters of khaine far easier.
    But I like the painting handle as I can get into the nooks and details without man handling the mini

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I will also echo the citadel handles. I thought it would be pointless, but got one and haven't looked back. It's so much nicer than holding the model.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I know you've already got the handle, but I still live by a bit of blue/white-tack on top of Tamiya paint bottles. There's definitely weight in glass, and the size is excellent. The bonus is that you're likely to have a number of bottles and can easily prepare multiple figures / projects at the same time. Doesn't hurt that you could probably buy 5 for the same price as one of the citadel ones. :P

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Tried every kind of (modellers acrylic) paint bottle under the sun, all of them are too small for my hands. Plus what if I want the paint in the bottle?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I've been using blue tac plus old prescription pill bottles. It's an alright solution, and while I'd like some actual handles these were effectively free. And plentiful, as I've got a whole grocery bag full of the things.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I use old pill bottles for handles, they generally are a good enough diameter to do the job. You can weight the insides too if you dont want them tipping.

steam_sig.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Ever been disappointed you don't have any projects going on that use a specific color?

I haven't painted anything orange in so long... I need to find something I can paint orange.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    Ever been disappointed you don't have any projects going on that use a specific color?

I haven't painted anything orange in so long... I need to find something I can paint orange.

This is a constant disappointment for me. I have so many different paints.

I do tend to use the paints I want to use sometimes though and then just stop painting. I still haven't finished my Tau KT that I used colorshift paints on.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I've got a pearlescent purple that's frigging amazing, but I have to invent things to put it on; right now that's a Gaslands car and some Starsiege Executioners. Hopefully I'll have those done soon to show off!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hi thread, I'm looking at trying my hand at brush-on primer. Are there any recommendations?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hi thread, I'm looking at trying my hand at brush-on primer. Are there any recommendations?

Warhammer tv does a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMPcujZp-j4

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Use Vallejo Surface Primer. It even comes in colours now!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I use Vallejo airbrush primer and brush it on by hand. Works great. No trick to it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

The next miniature you're planning to paint, no matter what: Make a small sphere out of GS for the mini to hold in its hand. Paint that orange.

That mini is really into citrus fruits.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Also: A lot of the time youtube reccomendations are garbage but this one landed in my lap a little while ago and while it's definitely not an 'eavy metal style, her GW miniatures look amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_gaFd-mDmY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZ0FzovaF8

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Use Vallejo Surface Primer. It even comes in colours now!

Yea I use this, in Panzer Grey. Nice neutral tone that's dark enough to hide any missed crevasses while painting. Depending on how fine the detail is I'll either do 4 drops of primer to 1 drop of water, or just straight primer.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Stragint wrote: »

Warhammer tv does a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMPcujZp-j4

My complaint about Citadel paint is chaos black comes in a spray I have no idea what shade is corvus black and abaddon black is darker than chaos. But I have been priming by hand some minis because it was either too hot or such to do so
    I am rather limited in where I can go to get paint [either my bike or walking and it takes forever to get it if you order it or there is the chance it blows up in the mail]

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

I've been wanting to paint something turquoise for so long, but all I can thing to use it on would be Eldar and I don't want to play Eldar.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Turquoise Marines, loyalist or heretic, or T'au, Stormcast, deepkin, any Bloodbowl team are all going to look great! Oh, van Saar and Escher, too.

honovere on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I've not posted anything on here for ages!
    So I'm painting Ironjawz and having a blast.
    Was originally going to use 100% Contrast, but i really didnt like how they look on smooth armour, so the metals and armour are done traditionally, and I use Contrast for the skin and cloth bits. Pretty happy with it, the contrast skin is a billion times better than any ork skin i've painted traditionally, and much faster too. (I've never quite gotten the hang of highlighting organics properly)
    c4zd6z3nbavv.jpg
    tozkgn16owi9.jpg
    2s4xsq3hztkv.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta