As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Basketball: South Carolina Wins The Best Women's Tournamnet

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The B1G looking strong this year...

....is an absurd thing to get excited about in the first week of December

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The B1G looking strong this year...

....is an absurd thing to get excited about in the first week of December

Why is that absurd? I've already had to purchase my tickets to 2020 NCAA Midwest Regionals and hope to see some Big 10 teams make it that far in the region. I root for the Big 10 and follow their games in general along with my Purdue team. It's already been an interesting start to the college basketball season with it taking 3 weeks to get a #1 team in Louisville that is actually deserving of that spot.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    They’ll beat each other up during conference play is all

They’ll beat each other up during conference play is all

That's why these out of conference wins matter though.

steam_sig.png
    Suck it ACC!

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I still have no idea what happened yesterday and absolutely dread the upcoming Virginia game now

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    OSU beat PSU by 32, is leading the country in scoring margin (+26), and is the 4th team to have 2 25+ point wins over top-10 teams in the same season...the previous 3 all won it all

Gotta keep my expectations in check, but....

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    OSU beat PSU by 32, is leading the country in scoring margin (+26), and is the 4th team to have 2 25+ point wins over top-10 teams in the same season...the previous 3 all won it all

Gotta keep my expectations in check, but....

What's nuts is:
    The average NCAA team makes 33% of 3s and 49% of 2s.

Teams playing Ohio State make 29% of 3s and 35% of 2s.

Penn State today made 35% of 3s and 50% of 2s

PSU actually performed decently well and still got walloped.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    How the hell was UNC/UVA relegated to the ACC Network?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    They got B1G’d

I wonder if we're nearing the point where the pack line has to be banned. As there's another enormous sludge fart of a marquee game between Louisville and Texas Tech. Maybe a 50 point pace.

Meanwhile, Maryland is playing an absolutely god awful game in Happy Valley.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I wonder if we're nearing the point where the pack line has to be banned. As there's another enormous sludge fart of a marquee game between Louisville and Texas Tech. Maybe a 50 point pace.

Meanwhile, Maryland is playing an absolutely god awful game in Happy Valley.

Actually it's just the #1 ranking that needs to be banned. It's a goddamned hex this season.

edited December 2019
    So refs called four fouls in the entire first half of Michigan/Illinois. They're up to 12 on Michigan alone in the first 11 minutes of the second half. This is basically guaranteed in Big Ten games where they decide to officiate an entirely different style of game in the second half.

EDIT: This is also why Big Ten teams are basically unstoppable at home.

And Illinois' center just punched an official in the head (on accident, but still).

enlightenedbum on
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Feels pretty good after blowing a 9 point lead with 3 to play in Maryland on Saturday.

Kofi Cockburn is a big man, and I think inadvertently elbowed a ref in the head and knocked him clean out.

Minnesota leads #3 Ohio State by 9 at the half, in an effort to make everyone in the B1G 1-1 after 2 conference games.

Think home teams are still undefeated in conference play.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Think home teams are still undefeated in conference play.

Yes, thanks in part to Nebraska somehow beating Purdue by 14. The same Purdue that beat UVA (granted, UVA can't score so they're vulnerable)

Minnesota wins. So the B1G standings as of now are MSU in 1st at 1-0, 12 teams tied for 2nd at 1-1, and Northwestern in 14th at 0-1. MSU at Northwestern on Wednesday.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Penn State is ranked for the first time in 23 years.

#1 lost again. Kansas at Nova.

Anthony Harris, UNC's emerging leader with Cole Anthony out tore his ACL last week. He's done for the season.

That's two players done for the season. One recovering from surgery and a few others banged up on a team that only returned one starter

We're currently losing at home to Georgia Tech 47-27 at the half

This is deflating to say the least

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    At this point there's a potential argument for 12 of the B1G teams to make the tournament, which is wild.

No, I don't think all 12 will make it, unless everyone but MSU/Nebraska/NW goes 10-10 in conference or something.

Ringo wrote: »
    Anthony Harris, UNC's emerging leader with Cole Anthony out tore his ACL last week. He's done for the season.

That's two players done for the season. One recovering from surgery and a few others banged up on a team that only returned one starter

We're currently losing at home to Georgia Tech 47-27 at the half

This is deflating to say the least

Don’t worry, Roy buoyed morale after the game by saying there was no talent on the roster

Like for real

I saw

Not great

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    UNC just dropped a home game against Pitt, allowing the Panthers to shoot 8-12 from three in the second half

This breaks Pitt's 22 game ACC road losing streak which dates back to February of 2017

Events of the last week have dulled my sense of despair at this, so I've got that going for me

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Well you can always feel good about never losing to Clemson at home right?

By the way when is that game?

Edit: OH IT'S ACTUALLY THIS SATURDAY WEEEEEEEE

SirToasty on
    Stop making that win look bad, UNC.

There has never been an NCAA tournament with Rutgers and without North Carolina.

Pivotal B1G matchup today between the 2nd and 3rd place teams, currently...*checks notes*...Rutgers and Illinois.

Ohio State is 4th in Kenpom and 13th in the Big Ten. Conference is bonkers this year.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Well you can always feel good about never losing to Clemson at home right?

By the way when is that game?

Edit: OH IT'S ACTUALLY THIS SATURDAY WEEEEEEEE

IT HAPPENED WAAAAAHAHAHAH

As Purdue demolishes Sparty in Mackey.

edited January 2020
    I wish Purdue could show more of this talent on the road. That said we were super close on the road against Michigan and this win at home shows what our ceiling is. That along with the sweetness of watching Ohio State dropping to 1-4 in conference play has made this a good week for basketball in my book.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2020
    Illinois ranked #24 in the AP this week, their first time ranked since 2014.

11 B1G teams received at least one vote this week.

EDIT: At this rate, people may have to learn how to pronounce the name of the Illinis freshman center, Kofi Cockburn.

Piotyr on
    How....how do you pronounce it

edited January 2020
    Coh-burn, if I remember correctly.

enlightenedbum on
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

EDIT: At this rate, people may have to learn how to pronounce the name of the Illinis freshman center, Kofi Cockburn.

That dude is beefy as hell. Highlight of the UW/Illini game for me was Reuvers putting a shoulder into him to try to clear space for a jumper and dude did not budge in the slightest.

Coh-burn, if I remember correctly.

Yes, it's a silent CK, which I wasn't aware was a thing.

I Zimbra wrote: »

That dude is beefy as hell. Highlight of the UW/Illini game for me was Reuvers putting a shoulder into him to try to clear space for a jumper and dude did not budge in the slightest.

Yeah, I think it was against Michigan where he celebrated an and-1 by a fist pump that inadvertently knocked a referee clean out.

I Zimbra wrote: »

Yeah, I think it was against Michigan where he celebrated an and-1 by a fist pump that inadvertently knocked a referee clean out.

Yep.