As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix payment

tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
edited December 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
So like a year or so ago I got a Netflix account through gift cards and I've been using gift cards since, mostly when there is something I want to watch on it. I didn't let the balance run out after that show with the Island and the waste of a Katie Sackoff... but now there's stuff on there I want to see so I bought gift cards again.

However, I keep getting an error when trying to use it. Chatted with the support people all this week and they said it was the cards not working or something. Bought another card, same deal. Checked my email and apparently they have a hold on my account because there is no payment option; I'm not putting my cards on another streaming service that I'm going to forget to cancel when I don't use it. The email I received today apparently says they're going to cancel my account tomorrow? Which seems really strong handed, but eh.

Three questions:

1) Can I add a card which would presumably remove this stupid hold, redeem my gift card, and then remove the card?
2) If I let them cancel would that prevent me from simply creating another account off my gift card and email address?
3) Would just using a prepaid visa be a workaround for this?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
tastydonuts on

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    1. Once a card's on there, you can't remove it without adding another. I believe they make you add one during creation now even if you're paying by alternate means, so basically something has to end up there at some point.
    2. Probably not and definitely not from just creating a throwaway gmail for the purpose.
    3. Absolutely yes. Make sure it has at least enough for a month's payment on it, as even if they don't debit it they'll likely put a short hold for that amount to verify the card. This is the standard way of paying for subscriptions you intend to be temporary and definitely don't want to accidentally forget to cancel.

Hevach on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    2. Probably not and definitely not from just creating a throwaway gmail for the purpose.

If you are already using gmail as your main email address, you can just throw a couple periods into your email address. You will still get the emails, cause gmail doesn't parse '.' but Netflix probably does.

So Burtle.toy@gmail.com is the same as B.urtletoy@gmail.com for receiving emails, but will probably register as a new account on netflix.

• Options
    lol... that is interesting to know.

I put a prepaid on it, so the "pause" warning isn't showing up any more... but it still won't process the gift cards either. This is unusual because the place I got the cards from is legit... so I don't know. I'll have to see what they say as to why the cards aren't working. This would be the first time a netflix card didn't work from them, and for two to fail is abnormal.

• Options
    Went to a brick and mortar to buy a physical card and it worked, in the process of getting the other cards refunded.