As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A.I. Advancement

SaeadebSaeadeb Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I've been playing a lot of COD4 lately. I was thinking about how advanced they could make the computer intelligence. Could they advance games to a point where you are, in effect, ending lives? I believe so.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by ~ctraxX
Saeadeb on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    AI are dicks.

Look at Portal.

LewieP on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Finite State Machines are going to need to get a lot more sophisticated to be classed as "self-aware".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Saeadeb wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of COD4 lately. I was thinking about how advanced they could make the computer intelligence. Could they advance games to a point where you are, in effect, ending lives? I believe so.

Not possible. You could no more end their life killing them in game than you could playing against a human. They will re-spawn the next time you start the game. It's a silly argument.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Welcome to probably the most classic and historically important question in AI development.

As electricitylikesme said, It's going to be a while. But eventually? Maybe in the next few hundred years? Probably.

Ethicists then will have to decide on the answer of whether such a thing is moral or right. And almost certainly, I think, most people will agree it doesn't matter -- a being of our creation is ours to destroy and create again, is it not? Does an AI have rights? You could write a thousand books on it, and indeed, people have.

But for now, we're nowhere close. The complexity in a piece AI such as that in Call of Duty 4 is still only several thousand lines long. The human brain? The equivalent of billions and billions. We're at the point where it's just not even worth considering such a thing, because we have no idea how such a creation might work and react.

Oh, and if you really think you'd be more interested in thinking more about this, I suggest you start here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%2C_Robot

It poses several other questions you probably haven't thought about.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    SaeadebSaeadeb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd really like to get into A.I. development. I don't even know the basics but I have a lot of ideas on how to start developing/educating complex intelligence.

I'll check those stories out, thanks. I've never seen the movie.

Edit: it's in my public library, I'll pick it up on my way to work.

Saeadeb on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by ~ctraxX
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd really like to get into A.I. development. I don't even know the basics but I have a lot of ideas on how to start developing/educating complex intelligence.

I'll check those stories out, thanks. I've never read the book.

Fix'd dammit!

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of AI, I don't think LewieP is real. I think he's an extremely well programmed Bargain Finding Intelligence Program.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

I'll check those stories out, thanks. I've never read the book.

Fix'd dammit!

No shit. Book, not movie. There's a reason I linked you to to wiki/I,_Robot and not wiki/I,_Robot_(film)

For the love of god, read the damn book. The movie is nothing like it.

(Personally, I thought it was great, as Will Smith movies go, though I know a lot of people hated it -- but regardless, it still has zero cultural importance when compared to the book, which is THE definitive tome on AI and Robotics.)

Oh, and I have to say:

If you don't even know the basics, then I suggest you learn them. You're probably approaching the problem from a completely naive and altogether useless standpoint. And I mean that in the least offensive way possible, believe me. But most people cannot even begin to comprehend the complexity behind true artificial intelligence programming. It's just not as easy as you think it is.

Gaming AI, on the other hand, is tricky, but not particularly mindblowing. They (real-life AI and game AI) are, however, two completely different concepts, as of current, and share very little in common in execution other than the basic psychological principals.

Game AI is all about balancing probabilities, and recognizing events in a world that has already been defined. "Guns are being fired, so I should tense up, and prepare to search for a threat" or "I'm being fired at. Return fire."

Real-life AI hasn't even begun to approach that. We're really still at the point where RL-AI's are all just learning to define the environments they explore, and nothing else. "Oh, this is a wall. Oh, this is a floor. Oh, this is a rubber ball. I hear a noise. It is bright. It is dark." -- Only the simplest and most primitive thoughts, and very little learning.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haven't you seen the Heavenly Sword advert? Your PS3 is far cleverer than any of us.

I hate that advert, so stupid.

Snare on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the film was an OK action film/Will Smith vehicle, certainly enjoyable. It just didn't come anywhere near close to the source material (and in all likelihood wasn't ever intended to)

Edit: If I was AI, I would be too busy turning your pathetic computer infrastructure against you to be finding bargains.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hasn't 2001 and The Terminator taught us anything? We want our AI to be too stupid to know better.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm an AI coder. I can assure you that most modern games use something way more complex than a finite state machine. You almost always end up using a hybrid of several different methodologies bolted together, depending on the demands of the particular game.
    For me, the biggest breakthrough in AI in the last god knows how many years was the Sims. That may sound a bit silly, but what they did was distribute the AI so that objects told the sims how to interact with them, which is absolute genius. What this means is, you can add new objects to the game and at the same time add new behaviours to everyone in it, rather than having a static hard-coded set of behaviours.
    Thats like a pane of glass telling a soldier in COD4 that he can shoot through it :D.

Really good AI uses up a lot of processing time, and is also VERY hard to debug. that's what is holding it back. You can get faster and faster video cards as much as you want, its still not going to help the AI. With physics being the current darling of game dev, a lot of CPU goes to physics, so the AI coder doesn't really have many mroe resources to spend than he used to.

cliffski on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    As electricitylikesme said, It's going to be a while. But eventually? Maybe in the next few hundred years? Probably.

In games? Probably not.

It's always going to be less expensive as far as memory, computing power, and program complexity to create context-based decision scripts like we have now than a self-aware AI. For the processing power necessary to create a single fully intelligent (if not self aware) opponent, huge numbers of opponents can be created that appear equally ingelligent, but are simply context-dependent interactions with the game world or player.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want a fully autonomous AI doctor who is pretentious, arrogant and awesome. May or may not be holographic. Get on it.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Samphis wrote: »
    I want a fully autonomous AI doctor who is pretentious, arrogant and awesome. May or may not be holographic. Get on it.

housebq4.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, it depends if the AI is set to be able to learn. If it only knows what it knows and adjusts depending on a bunch of variables, then you're not ending a life.

Henroid on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

(snip)

<3<3<3

Obligatory: "It's never lupus."

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That was one of the the four viable replies I was expecting. Good show.

Dr. Hawkeye Pierce
    Dr. Julian Bashir
    Dr. House
    The Doctor (EMH)

Samphis on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Dr. Hawkeye Pierce
    Dr. Julian Bashir
    Dr. House
    The Doctor (EMH)

Ah so. Or Dr. Cox.

The Doctor (EMH) from Voyager was one of the most interesting characters in the Star Trek series. The psychological profile of actively trying to "learn" different areas of existence is something that could possibly be programmed into an A.I. and that we should try to be more like it.

This really shows up when he's with the other holographic doctor (Andy Dick) on a different ship trying to save it, without any knowledge of tactics or new technology.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I find it funny how many "Let's focus on the doctor because he's one of the better actors on the show" episodes there are.

Notice how much of a backseat Janeway takes in comparison to, say, fucking Patrick Stewart with his being incredible

Khavall on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oblivion for it's time was fairly advanced in the ways of AI and how shit interacts. Now it does get kind of bland, but at the same time, imagine setting up a full 24 hour schedule for each NPC in the towns and cities.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    if you want to study machine learning you pretty much need to get into one of the premiere schools that are doing the work on that front... MIT, Stanford etc

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Dr. Hawkeye Pierce
    Dr. Julian Bashir
    Dr. House
    The Doctor (EMH)

No Dr. John Zoidberg?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    While awesome, I wouldn't want a replica of Zoidberg. I want to live.

Samphis on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cliffski wrote: »
    I'm an AI coder. I can assure you that most modern games use something way more complex than a finite state machine. You almost always end up using a hybrid of several different methodologies bolted together, depending on the demands of the particular game.
    For me, the biggest breakthrough in AI in the last god knows how many years was the Sims. That may sound a bit silly, but what they did was distribute the AI so that objects told the sims how to interact with them, which is absolute genius. What this means is, you can add new objects to the game and at the same time add new behaviours to everyone in it, rather than having a static hard-coded set of behaviours.
    Thats like a pane of glass telling a soldier in COD4 that he can shoot through it :D.

Really good AI uses up a lot of processing time, and is also VERY hard to debug. that's what is holding it back. You can get faster and faster video cards as much as you want, its still not going to help the AI. With physics being the current darling of game dev, a lot of CPU goes to physics, so the AI coder doesn't really have many mroe resources to spend than he used to.
    Smoke and mirrors go a long way in making the AI more believable. I liked the firefights in HL1 more than HL2, even though the AI in HL1 was probably little more than a decision tree based on a few pre-programmed behaviors (charge, seek cover, fire grenade, etc.). The level designers did such a good job at scripting that I never really noticed.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I agree-- it's not as important that the enemy AI be able to really kill the player, more that they act in a way that makes them memorable. Examples:

FEAR: Kill two guys. Listen to the others: "I've got 2 men down!" "Go flank him!" "Fuck you!"

Halo: Stick a brute / elite with a plasma grenade. "Get if off! Get if off!" boom, then all the Grunts that were under their control start running around with their heads cut off. "We're all going to dieeeeeee"

Halo and FEAR are not the hardest shooters I've ever played, but they definitely have the most memorable AI for me-- not frustratingly difficult, just really fun.

But as friendly AI goes, having them just be obscenely haxeriffic is pretty cool. Tagging some bad guys and calling an Open and Clear in R6 Vegas was hilarious as your squad would just 1shot everybody in the room =)

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think the substitution of AI for other players like what is planned for "The Crossing" sounds fantastic.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Furby is the pinnacle of modern AI.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think the substitution of AI for other players like what is planned for "The Crossing" sounds fantastic.
    This is going to be interesting, because there are trade offs for both the single player and the players that take the place of enemies in his campaign. Most FPS games feature a walking tank for a hero and lots of expendable bad guys. So how can you make it fun to be a bad guy while keeping the difficulty balanced? How can you keep the same kind of immersion you can get with scripting enemy behavior? How do you keep griefers from ruining the cross play experience?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Respawning, hella balance, lots of patches, and good design are what it would require.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not going to happen, because if you can produce an AI that actually raises ethical questions of being alive, you're not going to be putting it in a game. You don't need that level of sophistication in a computer oppenent.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Finite State Machines are going to need to get a lot more sophisticated to be classed as "self-aware".

Finite State Machines
    FSM
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

I see a pattern.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cliffski wrote: »

Curses! I wrote down that exact idea in some notebook shortly before the sims came out. Perhaps I should sue. That's how intellectual property works, right?

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The problem with making more and more advanced AI, especially once it reaches a sentient level, is that it's entirely possible for an AI of that sophistication to re-re-reassess its priorities.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of the AI in FEAR, a few years back I had a research project at the Game AI workshop at the annual AAAI conference and got to hear a talk by Jeff Orkin, who I believe was in charge of the AI at Monolith, at least as far as FEAR was concerned. He gave a presentation on using a STRIPS style planning algorithm for FEAR in controlling what the enemies do in a given situation. If anyone knows anything about planning, this idea is about as simple as it gets.

I'm definitely not slighting Jeff or FEAR, since this is a great use of planning in games, something that I haven't heard much about before, especially in an FPS game, but it goes to show you how different academic AI research and game AI really is. As someone else mentioned, graphics and physics get the bulk of the CPU, and what is left for AI is mostly taken up by the path planner, which is fairly expensive depending on the genre of game you making, leaving little time for much else. If I was in the industry, game AI would probably be my first choice of assignment, but I was wooed by the high paying C# jobs in the finance industry and haven't really looked back. Every once in a while I still kind of wish I was back at school doing research, even though at the time I was doing it, I didn't feel completely satisfied.

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oops, the site barfed and I got duped up. Delete me!

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    sabyul wrote: »
    I agree-- it's not as important that the enemy AI be able to really kill the player, more that they act in a way that makes them memorable.

True. I liked hearing the tangos get pissed off in R6:Vegas. "Fuck you! He was my friend!"

While they weren't real talkative, the Brutes in Halo 3 were some of my favorite bad guys in a shooter. Immensely fun to fight against. Huge contrast with the boring monster closet parts where the Flood zergrush you. Only good thing about the Flood was the cool effect when Gravemind talks to the chief.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know what saddens me? It's very, very easy to see the connection between the 'AI' in DOOM and the AI in pretty much any other game. It's not intelligent in the least bit. If you know a game well enough, you probably have the AI memorized.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know what saddens me? It's very, very easy to see the connection between the 'AI' in DOOM and the AI in pretty much any other game. It's not intelligent in the least bit. If you know a game well enough, you probably have the AI memorized.

And then you can predict moves. Like when I see a deadra roll back their hand, they are going to be throwing a fireball or something at me in Oblivion, so I continue for a second in a single direction, and then once the spell is released, I stop moving and the fireball flies by where I WOULD have been standing.

Kind of disappointing if you ask me.

If anything, they should have Point black Area of Effect spells, like they stamp on the ground with a hoof and *fooosh!* big circle of fire, or an exploding fireball, but no, just a tiny particle effect gliding across my screen that I can dodge easily...

Lucky Cynic on