As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I had the opposite impression. I was kinda crappy on PS4 and a ton better on KBAM. But mileages vary, as they do in most things.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So I jumped into the PS4 game late. I know the PS5 is on the horizon, but I was dazzled by black friday deals. I ended up getting a PS4 Pro, NHL 2020, Bloodborne, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Sekiro, Last of Us, and Spider-Man, for a really reasonable price overall. I almost don't know where to start. I've dabbled in God of War, NHL and Spider-Man so far.

What other must have games, or little known gems should I be eyeballing as well?

The Yakuza series is great, though I guess it's not the exclusive it used to be now. Yakuza 0 is the perfect starting point for it (and every Yakuza game should end up on PS4 since they're porting 3/4/5 from PS3 over with a slight uprez). The Uncharted games are great, too. The OG trilogy is there remastered and are all pretty good, 4 was sort of the perfect capstone for Nathan Drake, and Lost Legacy was a fun side-story sort of thing that experimented with some limited open world stuff that paid off.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I can vouch for that -- I just finished Yakuza 0, and it's a great time. It, and the Kiwami versions of Yakuza 1 and 2, are available everywhere for cheap. I double-checked, and 3-5 are being ported over now. I think 3 and 4 are already available, with 5 coming in February.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So with the recent Black Friday sales, I found myself the new owner of a PS4 Pro.

I'm having an issue noticing any real difference between normal and Pro mode.

The gain in frame rate in Performance Mode is pretty obvious while Resolution Mode.. looks the same?

The only game I've really tested out is Borderlands 3. I am really struggling to see a difference.

Is it just the game or am I missing something?

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I thought about getting the pro but realized there's no point since the PS5 is right around the corner.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    As a heads up for those who don't know (because there hasn't been much talk about it), Dreams (the game from MediaMolecule, the LBP guys that is basically a game creation tool at this point) has been in Early Access for a little while. And now the Early Access is Ending.
    Now, you may ask — does this mean Early Access is nearing an end? Yes, yes it does — the last day you can purchase Early Access will be December 7 at 3:59pm PST. Anyone who has purchased Early Access by this date will still be able to play Dreams after the 8th and will upgrade to the full version of Dreams when it launches for no extra cost.

So if you want to get the game for the $29.99 (USD, dunno about other regions) you should do it now. Here's a store page for anyone who needs it (again, US store).

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Dreams is totally worth that price. We've found a LOT of great stuff. I mean with a user creation based thing you get a bunch of junk too but the good is real good.

I will admit it hasn't gripped us in the way that the Little Big Planet series did and I can't really put my finger on why.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So with the recent Black Friday sales, I found myself the new owner of a PS4 Pro.

The gain in frame rate in Performance Mode is pretty obvious while Resolution Mode.. looks the same?

The only game I've really tested out is Borderlands 3. I am really struggling to see a difference.

Do you have a 4k-capable TV? That's where you'll notice the most difference. Also note that while all games will benefit from Boost Mode not all games will have a Pro patch.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

Do you have a 4k-capable TV? That's where you'll notice the most difference. Also note that while all games will benefit from Boost Mode not all games will have a Pro patch.

1080 tv's also get a boost, you can enable supersampling similiar to boost mode to scale down 4k mode but more frequently there's a performance mode that's 1080 but with higher frame rate compare to checkerboard 4k at a lower frame rate.

Digital Foundry always does great technical videos that go into base ps4/pro differences, they're on YouTube and I highly recommend
    https://youtu.be/UVixXPGdeVI

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Make sure you enable UHD on your TV as well. On my Samsung I had to enable it in the settings.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have a TCL Series 6. As far as I can tell everything is activated.

I've only been playing BL3 ATM. I'm told Horizon Zero Dawn looks noticeably better.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I guess my thoughts on the State of Play seems to be what it always is. I'm really excited for people who like these games but I was really underwhelmed by it. Dreams looks neat for people who want to put the time into it, but it's not my thing. I have never been a fan of Resident Evil so the RE3 Remake does nothing for me. Ghost of Tsushima looks cool but the tease told us nothing new.

That Stanley Parable-ish game looked neat.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Fabulous little device.

...Little late though, don't you think? Why not just build this into the dualshock 5?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Fabulous little device.

...Little late though, don't you think? Why not just build this into the dualshock 5?
    Well, what if this also gives your DS4 the ability to be used on the PS5?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Fabulous little device.

The folks on resetera think this is actually a consequence of paddles being integrated into the basic DS5 Controller, such that a peripheral such as this was the best way to ensure back-compatibility for DS4 controllers upon PS5's release.

That makes some sense.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Fabulous little device.

The folks on resetera think this is actually a consequence of paddles being integrated into the basic DS5 Controller, such that a peripheral such as this was the best way to ensure back-compatibility for DS4 controllers upon PS5's release.

That makes some sense.

I think Sony is going to be more serious with BC this time with PS5. I have so much PSN stuff from having a PSP/PSTV and PS3 that I hope they make my PSN library fully playable, lot of PSX/PS2 classics and a lot that aren't playable on PS4.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Having missed the PS3, I wouldn’t mind being able to play MGS IV.

It’s like the one big game from the previous generation that hasn’t come forward.

• Options
    ...I'm confused on what that could be used for. It looks like you map it to another button on the controller? What is the benefit of it?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    ...I'm confused on what that could be used for. It looks like you map it to another button on the controller? What is the benefit of it?

For something like Destiny (and other FPS), paddles enable more comfortable movement tech, as you otherwise need strange hand posture (called “the claw”) or funky button schemes.

• Options

For something like Destiny (and other FPS), paddles enable more comfortable movement tech, as you otherwise need strange hand posture (called “the claw”) or funky button schemes.

Ah. I don't remember having any weird claw hands when playing Destiny but I never really got very far into it.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Looks neat. I might get one. :)

I wonder how much of an effect the OLED screen on that thing has on battery life on the DS4. It already has the shortest average time between charges of all three console controllers.

• Options

Ah. I don't remember having any weird claw hands when playing Destiny but I never really got very far into it.

The average player isn’t going to employ “the claw”, it’s very much high level PvP technique that allows for better aim while jumping and other things.

• Options

The average player isn’t going to employ “the claw”, it’s very much high level PvP technique that allows for better aim while jumping and other things.

Fortnite is big on weird competitive control schemes and fast building so imagine would be ideal for those players too

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

The more buttons you have, the more options PC game developers have for developing previously PC-only titles for the console.

Phillishere on
  • Options

The more buttons you have, the more options PC game developers have for developing previously PC-only titles for the console.

Doesn't really look like it's adding more buttons to the game, but just mapping them to specific inputs.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    From my understanding it's mostly competitive FPS players who see a benefit from the paddles, since it means they can keep both hands on the sticks and map something that would normally be on the face buttons to it.

• Options
    AHA now I see it. Thank you @Kyougu... For some reason it took me a bit to realize that you can't really hit the face buttons while using both joysticks.

It takes me a bit but I get there eventually.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    AHA now I see it. Thank you @Kyougu... For some reason it took me a bit to realize that you can't really hit the face buttons while using both joysticks.

It takes me a bit but I get there eventually.

These would make Sekiro a lot easier for me. Nine-tenths of the difficulty in that game, for me, is quickly switching to the face buttons for the two different unblockable attacks when the majority of the combat uses the front buttons.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Has anyone else played Lonely Mountain: Downhill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfJxYa3kt5U&feature=youtu.be

Just got it and it's super fun! It's Trials+ Mountain Biking, and it's done really well.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    re: the BackButton thing - doesn't it cover up the charging port on the DS4 though?

26904.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    re: the BackButton thing - doesn't it cover up the charging port on the DS4 though?
    No, that’s on the top. The headphone jack is on the bottom but this has a passthrough for that.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    No, that’s on the top. The headphone jack is on the bottom but this has a passthrough for that.
    There's also a charging port on the bottom. And this covers that up, yes. So you would need to remove it before placing the DS4 in a dock that uses the bottom port.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I bought Subnautica on sale from Target and it is a very cool little game. The frame rate is pretty terrible sometimes though. Definitely has some indie game issues.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    There's also a charging port on the bottom. And this covers that up, yes. So you would need to remove it before placing the DS4 in a dock that uses the bottom port.
    Oh, right, some docks use that. It is probably more reliable than Micro USB, I guess.

• Options
    Oh, right, some docks use that. It is probably more reliable than Micro USB, I guess.

I had no idea that was a charging port. Never knew what it was honestly. My 3rd party stand has 2 slots I set the controllers on upside down that plug into the top ports fine.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I have two of the PS licensed PowerA charger stands. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENFVJJO

The controllers sit on them with the lights up, plugging in to the bottom port. I don't think they will fit the other way around as the plug is not a standard USB.

26904.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

I had no idea that was a charging port. Never knew what it was honestly. My 3rd party stand has 2 slots I set the controllers on upside down that plug into the top ports fine.

I'm the opposite, I've always charged from the bottom (hah) and didnt even realize you could from the top

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

If this means I can make jump in Bloodborne an actual button press now instead of hold O to run press O to jump while running I'm buying one.

• Options
    furlion wrote: »

I'm the opposite, I've always charged from the bottom (hah) and didnt even realize you could from the top

Never realized I was a top until now.