As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Personal property tax help

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited December 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
So I live in Missouri and changed counties last August. This year I changed vehicles. I'm trying to get property taxes from my new County but they want titling information on the car I don't have anymore.

They said to contact the Department of Revenue but haven't explained since then. Any idea what I should do?

Magus` on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    How did you sell the car you no longer have, to a dealer? You should have a receipt for it for tax purposes. But I'm confused as to why the county gives a shit in re: property tax, the DMV should've been involved in that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Did you contact the Department of Revenue?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I have not. I'm not sure what to ask.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    bowen wrote: »
    How did you sell the car you no longer have, to a dealer? You should have a receipt for it for tax purposes. But I'm confused as to why the county gives a shit in re: property tax, the DMV should've been involved in that.

Yes, to a dealer.

Edit: Also all I know is my property tax always came from the county I lived in.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Magus` wrote: »

Call them, explain your situation like you would to us. The only difference here is that they will have an authoritative answer for you and we can only speculate.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I had a similar thing happen when I moved from Colorado to Virginia.

The county should have an office where you can physically pay for your personal property tax. Physically go down there and very politely discuss the issue with whomever is at the counter, they will likely have you talk to someone else and sort it out.

Calling on the phone is a crap shoot with county government entities.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

Call them, explain your situation like you would to us. The only difference here is that they will have an authoritative answer for you and we can only speculate.

Stop making me feel stupid

(Appreciate it.)

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

Stop making me feel stupid

(Appreciate it.)

Not meaning to. Dealing with government offices can be super intimidating! Just be concise and honest and kind as possible when you call. These folks are used to people frustrated and angry and long-winded and being nice really gets you far when you deal with state and local government workers. They go into the field to help people, after all.