As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Without the comedy a lot of these shows would just be news journal type shows, a la 60 minutes.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Sure, but a lot of news journal shows aren't covering this subject matter, or at least not doing this in such detail. They should be getting that kind of coverage but instead it's up to comedy shows to do it. Which is...not great?

I don't know, like I said it may just be outward directed anger at my own inaction, but it feels like a "welp we laughed at em, problem solved" sort of cop out.

Sorry, just sort of a weird rant I've had built up for awhile.

Karoz on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The comedy is how they get people to tune in and then they inform them while they are there.

That's basically how the Daily Show worked and it more or less started the whole thing.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The comedy also lightens things up and stops them from becoming left-wing talk radio.

Did a little thinking and going to rephrase what I said: it's not that there shouldn't be any jokes, it's just the stupid, pointless jokes that piss me off.

Playing a clip of Bill Gates and Ellen not knowing how much Totino's pizza rolls cost is both hilarious and terrifying but also very on topic. Pointing out how Michael Jordan is an awesome basketball player but a terrible baseball player (and then putting in a quick dig of "only reaching second base once") is also great and topical.

It's the stupid things like "lol look at his hair!" which then goes on for awhile that irks me. For some people, like Roger Stone, that's a major point of contention, his look and tattoos are mind boggling that it would be weird not to point out--especially the Nixon tattoo as a reference to his obvious political beliefs. But mocking Mark Zuckerberg's hair for more than half a second strikes me as pointless. It doesn't undo the three piece suit, the power he wields without repercussion, or points out the absurdity of his appearance coupled to his profession. If anything it's just a stereotypical nerd look, I get it, move on.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I agree that the personal attack jokes based upon appearances is hurting the message the show is trying to spread. It's a quick and easy way to dismiss an argument.

At the same time, after a very well paid and qualified writers room can't come up with anything better to break the tension, that's kind of a sign of how dire things are.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It says a lot about what audience they think they most need to entertain, I think, but yeah, I am also rather tired of all the "<terrible person> who looks like <something>" jokes.

Incenjucar on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It says a lot about what audience they think they most need to entertain, I think, but yeah, I am also rather tired of all the "<terrible person> who looks like <something>" jokes.

I say I'm tired of these, until they make a really good one.

So I guess I'm really just tired of lazy jokes about people's appearance. You don't have to do it every time, writers for every show applicable to this thread.

The time where John Oliver had some super grim topic and a lack of jokes only to take a pause to look at kitties and puppies might be a bit distracting at times but at least it is honest.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Some jokes are better than others.

Self deprecating and hypocritical humor work really well for me. Insult comedy is bottom of the barrel and I only appreciate it when it ties into the subject in a meaningful manner. Probably why I like John Oliver so much.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Did a little thinking and going to rephrase what I said: it's not that there shouldn't be any jokes, it's just the stupid, pointless jokes that piss me off.

Playing a clip of Bill Gates and Ellen not knowing how much Totino's pizza rolls cost is both hilarious and terrifying but also very on topic. Pointing out how Michael Jordan is an awesome basketball player but a terrible baseball player (and then putting in a quick dig of "only reaching second base once") is also great and topical.

It's the stupid things like "lol look at his hair!" which then goes on for awhile that irks me. For some people, like Roger Stone, that's a major point of contention, his look and tattoos are mind boggling that it would be weird not to point out--especially the Nixon tattoo as a reference to his obvious political beliefs. But mocking Mark Zuckerberg's hair for more than half a second strikes me as pointless. It doesn't undo the three piece suit, the power he wields without repercussion, or points out the absurdity of his appearance coupled to his profession. If anything it's just a stereotypical nerd look, I get it, move on.

I don’t know, I think it’s a pretty strong indictment of Zuckerberg’s ability to make smart choices that he pays a whole lot of money to willingly have a stylist cut his hair like that. There is just absolutely no justifiable reason for a him to choose that hairstyle.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Also? I'm ok with taking any angle to shit on Zuckerburg. He deserves far, far, worse than someone mocking his haircut on a comedy show.
    The Bill Gates thing was pretty dumb though. Why in the world would someone in their 60s know the price of a bag of pizza rolls off the top of their head?
    I don't know the price of a bag of pizza rolls and I have a bag in my freezer.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Self deprecating and hypocritical humor work really well for me. Insult comedy is bottom of the barrel and I only appreciate it when it ties into the subject in a meaningful manner. Probably why I like John Oliver so much.

Especially because John/his writing team will mercilessly mock John himself. And (off the cuff) I'd say a lot of their physical comparison jokes are less about 'isn't he fat/bald lol?' and more like comparing Bob Murray (eat shit, Bob) to Dr. Evil.

I liked that they specifically addressed it in the episode with Monica Lewinsky, that the writing room gives substantial thought to who their target is, can they defend themselves, is it a fair critique, etc, on top of the ever present 'is this even funny' aspect.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Forar wrote: »

Especially because John/his writing team will mercilessly mock John himself. And (off the cuff) I'd say a lot of their physical comparison jokes are less about 'isn't he fat/bald lol?' and more like comparing Bob Murray (eat shit, Bob) to Dr. Evil.

I liked that they specifically addressed it in the episode with Monica Lewinsky, that the writing room gives substantial thought to who their target is, can they defend themselves, is it a fair critique, etc, on top of the ever present 'is this even funny' aspect.

So, layered beneath the self-deprecating satire, and juxtaposed against two full episodes dedicated to telling Bob Murray to eat shit, is John calling Mnuchin a stone cold sex machine really the coldest burn of all?

The writers don't think he can take it?

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Forar wrote: »

So, layered beneath the self-deprecating satire, and juxtaposed against two full episodes dedicated to telling Bob Murray to eat shit, is John calling Mnuchin a stone cold sex machine really the coldest burn of all?

The writers don't think he can take it?

Put a picture of John Oliver and Steven Mnuchin side by side and you'll get the joke :p

(I'm guessing you're being sarcastic though)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    John is mocking right wing hypocrisy by juxtapositing himself with Mnuchin. Mnuchin is a monster, yet John and he share physical traits, so John calling someone who resembles him sexy as both a self insult on their similar appearance, but it goes deeper into mocking hypocrites that give monsters a pass just because of racism.

In before *thatsthejoke*.jpg

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I know its not LWT, TDS, etc.

but Some More News is seriously well produced and I think even more than billionaire "philanthropy", this shows the real cracks in the system, though it's definitely all related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOA8gXpios

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I like to read the "good news" after all the other news.

So I can balance out all that negative stuff about climate change, nuclear proliferation, and the rise of totalitarianism with a wholesome story about how some old lady turned 104 today.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I like to read the "good news" after all the other news.

So I can balance out all that negative stuff about climate change, nuclear proliferation, and the rise of totalitarianism with a wholesome story about how some old lady turned 104 today.

Turns out that lady is a Trump supporter.

/milkshakeducked

edited December 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_aDGFXNfyw

Edit: As a nursing student, I took offense at the school nurse joke, but I get it, that's the public perception of school nurses.

Karoz on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Edit: As a nursing student, I took offense at the school nurse joke, but I get it, that's the public perception of school nurses.

I took it as a meta commentary on the fact that many public schools don't have an actual nurse and instead use a regular staff member, so they can't really do anything an actual nurse could.

Or maybe it really was the straight forward joke that was told, and I was reading way too much into it.

Veevee on
    Veevee wrote: »

I took it as a meta commentary on the fact that many public schools don't have an actual nurse and instead use a regular staff member, so they can't really do anything an actual nurse could.

Or maybe it really was the straight forward joke that was told, and I was reading way too much into it.

That's actually a good point, I didn't think of that.

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Why do Trump supporters continue to support Trump despite overwhelming evidence of crimes? Let the Daily Show explain it better than any NY Times article in the heartland:

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    You really almost want to believe the last guy is in on the bit. Because how could someone be so fucking oblivious.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The transcript is 6 pages long.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    The transcript is 6 pages long.

5 pages, and only the last four have deeply suspicious bits in them: (The first is just generalized greetings.)
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Unclassified09.2019.pdf

(Side note, but Zelensky really knows how to butter up Trump.)

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Viskod wrote: »
    You really almost want to believe the last guy is in on the bit. Because how could someone be so fucking oblivious.

Orwell was shockingly on the ball when he described a crowd of Party Members, having just put up banners celebrating their alliance with one of the other two Superpowers, reacting with horror the moment that the party speaker announced they were now at war with that nation and allied with the former enemy nation, and shouting how spies had snuck into this courtyard and stealthily replaced all their banners with ones celebrating their enemy (whom they had always been at war with, as per the Party)

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!

Yes, we're all individuals!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    That let me to this which is worth a watch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vpzyzfQdsI

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Sam Bee putting her money where her babymaker is:

https://youtu.be/vAGYH8VL4Gs

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I know we don’t post interviews in this thread often, but I think this one with Rob McElhenney was rather funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2_3ZoTIb0

It crosses the streams of all the things I love; video games, Always Sunny, and comedy.

steam_sig.png

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm so glad it was Axel Foley. I feel you Rob.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I know we don’t post interviews in this thread often, but I think this one with Rob McElhenney was rather funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2_3ZoTIb0

It crosses the streams of all the things I love; video games, Always Sunny, and comedy.

Raven's Banquet clearly refers to a dinner thrown to honor she of whom things often very much are.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Zazu brings you the depressing news is finally back with Medicare 4 All, cause let's get this party rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z2XRg3dy9k

The first part also included a (ahem) bit of a rant about Collins and Fox News's role in impeachment, so... yeah.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Finally, a clear, somewhat concise publicly available source to point to for an answer to the question "Why do you want public health care?"