As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The use of bloodbowl players really adds so much character and movement to that unit!

website_header.jpg
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    they are like 8 million times better than the regular ard boy sculpts

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Done a sad man. Jorah Mormont just wants to know why his Khaleesi doesn't love him.
    DyIxkTd.jpg
    TrbdaFR.jpg

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    That horse is incredibly lifelike. Well done!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I've probably spent way too long working on cheap, throwaway troop models, but I finished up my converted Slaaneshi Hellstriders:

xoaig54f8qm9.jpg
    grwzphpu2ame.jpg
    0aqnc95aqnl1.jpg

Unlike Asher I extremely do not know how to paint horses, so I just drybrushed them purple in the hopes that no one will notice.

Halos Nach Tariff on
    Thanks guys! And we know from last thread that purple is always the right colour.

I'm really enjoying painting horses. Nice got 20 models in this Targaryen starter and at the rate I'm going all 18 horses will be unique.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    taking a break from painting Nurgles finest.
    kAIvXlg.jpg

got one squad done so far

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    I've finally finished a Patrol's worth of my warband The Blessed

8i7ydk0e45k3.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I sculpted some horrible little creatures and 3D printed a whole mess of them.

SIGMCKv.png
    baUL8k7.jpg

You can grab one here if you want:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4055436

H9f4bVe.png
    @Golden Yak

You've got some great designs!

I'm totally printing some of these for daemon proxies.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Just ordered the Reaper "Learn to Paint" kit, plus a Citadel painting handle and a wet palette. Bit of an upfront investment for something I'm not sure about, but at the same time I feel like the handle + palette will make me more likely to enjoy it in the first place.

Got my eyes set on eventually painting this champ if things turn out well.

There will come a time when you look back on this post and chuckle.

My first foray into painting minis was this kit:

ib9bKbU.jpg

It was a low cost experiment to see if I enjoyed painting minis, if I didn't like it I figured I was only going to be out ~$30 so it wouldn't be a big deal. That was early winter of 2016, and I now sit in a room with god knows how many paints/tools/brushes and more plastic than they used to build Legoland. I'm kinda tempted to see if I can track down one of these old kits and paint them again just to see how much I have improved.

Also, all of the people who can't think of something to paint with a specific color that they have been neglecting - if you play 40K of AOS both have a standard Inquisitor model for $18.

All hail King Pig!
    ktveu75hib0l.gif
    zv8c8ai5g666.jpg
    s9ih3resmj4r.jpg
    1gxws5qyoxop.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wow, those came out great!

H9f4bVe.png
    Here's what the Tyrant looked like @Sharp101 gave him to me. The Butcher's next!
    warpig_origins01.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Here's what the Tyrant looked like @Sharp101 gave him to me. The Butcher's next!
    warpig_origins01.jpg

I painted those back when they first came out. So glad they are getting new life!

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Draeven wrote: »
    9kxvq352ey6m.jpeg
    Guild ball cook model.

What is guild ball I see it pop up now and again on ebay. it looks like blood bowl but when you could play it in dungeons

Post industrial fantasy soccer played with teams of 6 , always have a captain, and mascot. Doesn’t have the injury hold overs etc. each team has its strengths and weakness. Multiple ways to score points. Influence mechanic, and momentum. All rules are free on steam forged web site with cards for everybfaction and paper dolls . So you can play before you sink any money. Even a paper pitch.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm having such a hard time justifying buying green stuff world's fur press for green stuff. I wanna buy it but I could just do the fur myself but it also never looks good enough to me.

I wanna finish this damn castellan.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I'm having such a hard time justifying buying green stuff world's fur press for green stuff. I wanna buy it but I could just do the fur myself but it also never looks good enough to me.

I wanna finish this damn castellan.

How to finish a castellan in one easy step:

Say, "I am finished with the castellan." Done.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    It can't be done until it is perfect.

I could honestly finish it on a day off. A lot of the remaining stuff is small detail painting. Just the position if the skull is still bothering me. Neither over the head or on the shoulder really look natural to me.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It can't be done until it is perfect.

I could honestly finish it on a day off. A lot of the remaining stuff is small detail painting. Just the position if the skull is still bothering me. Neither over the head or on the shoulder really look natural to me.

It's never done trust me
    you can say it's done come back years later or see another mini that gave you ideas. You are never finished

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    First day's progress.
    nv59669pdnhf.jpg
    e7nvielub2g0.jpg

ChernobylNotGreatNotTerrible.jpg

Anyone have experience with clear resin or water effect bases?

If I had a great unclean one and wanted to give him a base that made it look like he was wading through a swamp full of skulls and rotten vegetable matter, what's the product to use? I'd like to have the lower 1/2 inch or so of the model actually encased so it's like a cutout of him wading through the swamp.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »

If I had a great unclean one and wanted to give him a base that made it look like he was wading through a swamp full of skulls and rotten vegetable matter, what's the product to use? I'd like to have the lower 1/2 inch or so of the model actually encased so it's like a cutout of him wading through the swamp.

You can do some of the colored resin to do this
    Like the acrylic water you can mix in paint or dye to get ugly sceptic water

Art is never finished, only abandoned.

Learning when to stop instead of driving yourself mad fussing forever is an important step.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

If you are extremely patient you could build it up in multiple layers with green stuff world’s UV resin.
    The “quick” solution would be a two-part epoxy but there’s are many things that can go wrong with that, starting from the choice of resin; you really don’t want one that heats up a bunch while curing.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

If you are extremely patient you could build it up in multiple layers with green stuff world’s UV resin.
    The “quick” solution would be a two-part epoxy but there’s are many things that can go wrong with that, starting from the choice of resin; you really don’t want one that heats up a bunch while curing.

I didn't even know that was a thing, and I will have to be careful as I am the exact opposite of extremely patient.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Would Vallejo water effect be suitable for something like what I have in mind?

I have no experience with these products.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Stragint's worked with stuff like that before, IIRC. I wanna say there's someone else on here that also posted some cool bases using water effect within the last few months, but I'm drawing a blank who. Paging back through this and/or the WH40K threads a bit might find it.

Edit: Oh, and Extreaminatus gave Stragint some advice on it too. He had to do the layering method on the bases he showed pictures from.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    Turquoise Marines, loyalist or heretic, or T'au, Stormcast, deepkin, any Bloodbowl team are all going to look great! Oh, van Saar and Escher, too.

Hells to the yeah! I've just finished my tenth model of the turqouise marines kind. Sometime in the middle I started making them too green, but I've managed to get back to the perfect hue again. I'm also planning to convert those three Evilcraft models to make them more in line with the new CSM.

wayward_sons.jpg

If you're wondering about the weird loadout, I'm making them usable in Space Hulk, because it looks like it will be years before I have 12 appropriate terminators painted.

Mayday on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I hate you

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Turquoise Marines, loyalist or heretic, or T'au, Stormcast, deepkin, any Bloodbowl team are all going to look great! Oh, van Saar and Escher, too.

Hells to the yeah! I've just finished my tenth model of the turqouise marines kind. Sometime in the middle I started making them too green, but I've managed to get back to the perfect hue again. I'm also planning to convert those three Evilcraft models to make them more in line with the new CSM.

wayward_sons.jpg

If you're wondering about the weird loadout, I'm making them usable in Space Hulk, because it looks like it will be years before I have 12 appropriate terminators painted.

Exactly what I had in mind when I posted.

edited December 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Stragint's worked with stuff like that before, IIRC. I wanna say there's someone else on here that also posted some cool bases using water effect within the last few months, but I'm drawing a blank who. Paging back through this and/or the WH40K threads a bit might find it.

Edit: Oh, and Extreaminatus gave Stragint some advice on it too. He had to do the layering method on the bases he showed pictures from.

Yea, it took like 3 or 4 layers to feel like it was good enough but I could have kept going. The material kept shrinking. I used vallejo realistic water. I'd recommend a clear resin over the realistic water stuff though. Fills better and way better about shrinkage.

dgosyklouji2.jpg

Anyone know if colorshift paint blends well? I finally got the last dice creature and I want to do a two color blend and I was thinking colorshift would be cool.

Stragint on

Yea, it took like 3 or 4 layers to feel like it was good enough but I could have kept going. The material kept shrinking. I used vallejo realistic water. I'd recommend a clear resin over the realistic water stuff though. Fills better and way better about shrinkage.

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/a2/dgosyklouji2. jpg[/img]

Anyone know if colorshift paint blends well? I finally got the last dice creature and I want to do a two color blend and I was thinking colorshift would be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywYsgHG8S_I

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    My limited experience of GSW’s UV resin is that the shrinkage is minimal or non-existent, and now I look, they have examples of fairly thick layers going down in one pass•

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Does anyone remember which forum-member did the awesome swamp boards full of removable terrain pieces like the WH40K cargo container with something living in it? One of the pieces even used LEDs for a lighting effect? I think there was also a little sacrificial pit with resin colored to look like it was full of blood?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So I've been working on a 3D printed fountain I got awhile ago.

Please don't mind the fuzz it had been sitting awhile when I took the photo and now I'm on my way home for the holidays.

Still working on the gargoyles and fix the marble effect I don't like quite how it came out. But the blood looks great.

Screenshot_20191222-054707.png

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    Does anyone remember which forum-member did the awesome swamp boards full of removable terrain pieces like the WH40K cargo container with something living in it? One of the pieces even used LEDs for a lighting effect? I think there was also a little sacrificial pit with resin colored to look like it was full of blood?

Went searching, it was @Badablack I seem to recall more photos (like some in progress close-ups or something?) than these three posts, but can't find any others.
    pv4b6wzyaza9.jpg
    7purockj0by3.jpg

camo_sig2-400.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Yeah that was me, it was a kill team board I made for a tournament on MDF. Mostly successive layers of varnish with slime layers between to add depth.
    Blood altar:
    8f0v0EO.jpg
    Closeup:
    WeEileJ.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    edited December 2019
    Hey, thanks! The talk about clear resin vs water effects reminded me of the blood pool and eye-in-the-box, and then I was disappointed I hadn't saved any of the photos, so I went hunting.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The blood pool and the eyeball effects were actually Vallejo water effects, which I guess is normally used to make ripples in water. But it works pretty well with assorted inks and glazes to make blood and slime too.

FC: 1435-5383-0883