As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - English Magic

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - English Magic

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    recommended this book to you fifteen years ago

I expected I flashback...

On the other hand, I like to think Tycho really did say "literarily."

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Tycho’s face in panel 3

Also, is he Tycho Two-Times?

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    That is an excellent book.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    I found a cheap $1 copy of this book in hardcover, without a dust jacket, and took it on a week-long trip to Jamaica. I spent a week lounging on a beach reading about English magic. I left the book in Jamaica on their lender's library bookshelf.

I really enjoyed it, but it is really long, and while I found it humorous, I think my wife found it a bit dry. It does do the subdued dry English humor a lot. However, both my wife and I really enjoyed the miniseries adaptation. Even as a miniseries, it's a bit condensed, but it is faster paced and still very faithful to the novel. I highly recommend it.
    https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/jonathan-strange-and-mr-norrell

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, the hardcover came out in September 2004, so Tycho could've literally recommended the book 15 years ago, right when it came out. It seems to me a book Tycho would've ended up reading either right at release, or shortly thereafter.

• Options
    marsilies wrote: »
    Well, the hardcover came out in September 2004, so Tycho could've literally recommended the book 15 years ago, right when it came out. It seems to me a book Tycho would've ended up reading either right at release, or shortly thereafter.

Just to be clear, panel 1 says

literally
    literally
    literarily

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

literally
    literally
    literarily

Literally?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

literally
    literally
    literarily

Literally?

no, litararily.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

literally
    literally
    literarily

Literally?

no, litararily.

Littorally.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I liked the different way of spelling it, because I know when I'm using the word multiple times I pronounce it differently each time especially when I'm using it in annoyance.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked the different way of spelling it, because I know when I'm using the word multiple times I pronounce it differently each time especially when I'm using it in annoyance.
    I took different context and words, like with the literally first means that he actually did it. The second is literarily which he was discussing literature. So he literally recommended a literary item to Gabe.

That is the context I choose and cannot be persuaded otherwise.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Tycho's favorite magical Harry Potter street is Litter Alley.

• Options
    And now they've fixed the echo. All those tychpos will be lost in time, like tiers in rain.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Murdering a man on his deathbed is pretty rude.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I found a cheap $1 copy of this book in hardcover, without a dust jacket, and took it on a week-long trip to Jamaica. I spent a week lounging on a beach reading about English magic. I left the book in Jamaica on their lender's library bookshelf.

I really enjoyed it, but it is really long, and while I found it humorous, I think my wife found it a bit dry. It does do the subdued dry English humor a lot. However, both my wife and I really enjoyed the miniseries adaptation. Even as a miniseries, it's a bit condensed, but it is faster paced and still very faithful to the novel. I highly recommend it.

As I've said here in the past, it's a really good book that is too long by exactly the length of the middle section.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    That book is heroin sprinkled with crack for me. I love every word of it.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    And now they've fixed the echo. All those tychpos will be lost in time, like tiers in rain.

I see what you did there

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    Sometimes I read books that make me annoyed at the author (rhymes with Shmina Schmieville). With this book, I was more annoyed at myself for not enjoying it like I thought I should. I was happy to be done, really.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

As I've said here in the past, it's a really good book that is too long by exactly the length of the middle section.

This is the only book I have forgotten I was reading while over halfway through the book. Just put it in my backpack one day and never thought about it again until I was cleaning out that backpack nine months later.

I gave it to good will, unfinished

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TBF I didn't get very fair the first time I tried to read it; the audiobook got me through (though some people are understandably annoyed by the footnotes).

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    This is certainly a mood, though for me it's anime recommendations.

• Options
    AmanduhbAmanduhb Registered User new member
    >Sometimes I read books that make me annoyed at the author (rhymes with Shmina Schmieville).

I actually have the same problem with that author. Multiple friends whose opinion I respect, and multiple authors whose opinion I respect, have gushed about China Mieville...but I've tried to read two Mieville novels, and gave up on both because I just plain did not care what was going to happen to the characters...which, to me, is a far greater sin than actually being a shit story by a shit author. At least when it's a bad story, you can MST3K it to yourself for your amusement, but when you're just plain bored? Yeesh.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

This is the only book I have forgotten I was reading while over halfway through the book. Just put it in my backpack one day and never thought about it again until I was cleaning out that backpack nine months later.

I gave it to good will, unfinished

I read the first bit over a day or two, then hit a brick wall in the middle and put it down for like a year. Then I picked it up again, slogged through the middle, and tore through the end.

The TV version of it was actually pretty good, too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Amanduhb wrote: »
    >Sometimes I read books that make me annoyed at the author (rhymes with Shmina Schmieville).

I actually have the same problem with that author. Multiple friends whose opinion I respect, and multiple authors whose opinion I respect, have gushed about China Mieville...but I've tried to read two Mieville novels, and gave up on both because I just plain did not care what was going to happen to the characters...which, to me, is a far greater sin than actually being a shit story by a shit author. At least when it's a bad story, you can MST3K it to yourself for your amusement, but when you're just plain bored? Yeesh.

I couldn't even tell you about the characters or the story due to the prose style. I literally (literarily) stopped halfway through the first chapter and said aloud, "FUCK. YOU."

Which is an incredible rarity (raritarily) for me. I've read all the (non-Brian Sherbert) Dune novels. Some of them I had to make several charges at before managing to maintain my grip long enough to climb over. And I never once got this angry at them. I felt it on a visceral level that surprised me.

dennis on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I read the book on my Honeymoon while traveling through Europe, which was just the best time to do so. I could never crack the tv series though, because I generally hate the pacing of television dialogue. I also can't see how they'd tackle the more fantastical elements toward the end in a way that I'd find satisfying.

What is this I don't even.