As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
edited January 2020 in Social Entropy++
The following posts will contain spoilers for the latest Star Wars.

OPEN SPOILERS should be expected.

You can post spoilers about Star Wars movies, but not The Mandalorian (unless clearly marked, including in replies).

There's an all purpose Star Wars thread here:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/231781/star-wars-elan-sleazebaggano-went-home-and-became-a-family-man/p1

Mandalorian thread here:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/232412/the-mandalorian

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
Grislo on

• Options
    I liked Awakens well enough. It relied too much on paying homage, but the leads are good and it's fun.

Last Jedi is amazing.

Rise of Skywalker is like someone filmed a particularly poor piece of fan fiction. This was really disappointing, not because it really matters, or that it somehow invalidates previous movies, but man, another director could have actually done something cool. Not with the current script, obviously, because holy shit...

Now, let the ritual of wrong and right posts begin...

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Thanos is not in this.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Is this an open spoilers thread

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Yeah! I clarified that in the op.

Grislo on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Can you believe that Darth Vader is Luke's father?!

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Can you believe that Darth Vader is Luke's father?!

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Okay this gets rid of at least one problem with the TLJ discussion a year two years ago, namely that you had to click open every single post

Platy on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Okay this gets rid of at least one problem with the TLJ discussion a year ago, namely that you had to click open every single post
    Too bad that wasn't the main problem. Anyway somebody spoil me for this fucking movie. The anxiety is killing me.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Okay this gets rid of at least one problem with the TLJ discussion a year ago, namely that you had to click open every single post
    Too bad that wasn't the main problem. Anyway somebody spoil me for this fucking movie. The anxiety is killing me.

It sounds like the leaks are true, and so

Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter
    Kylo Ren gets redeemed
    Rey and Kylo kiss

I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'd kept up with the leaks once I saw how bad they sounded, and by all accounts they were all true

• Options
    Penny: actual spoilers, with one post containing a spoiler to click on, in case you don't actually want it "spoiled" for you:
    Guess what - Rey's parents weren't just random people! Rey is actually Emperor Palpatine's granddaughter! Sht gets real dumb. I think Rey ends up in a decent place, and it's not a complete failure of a movie, but man it's not good, and 95% of it just goes Force Awakens -> Rise, especially early on as Abrams desperately tries to cram in the story he actually wants to tell, Last Jedi be damned.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    So, here we are.

I see the above posts have raised what I was gonna say so here’s an edit.

It’s been a long time since a story has beat for beat done the opposite of what I would have wanted. Which is perhaps on me, perhaps not.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    God.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hahahaha ohhhhhhh granpappy Palpatine

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    The Skywalker Saga ends with all the Skywalkers dead and a Palpatine assuming the mantle of Skywalker.

So, it's not really the Skywalker Saga, it's the Palpatine Saga.

Unlike the Thanos comment, none of the above is a joke.

Sheev is the greatest.

• Options
    I wonder if the decision to bring back Palpatine came out of Rian Johnson off-ing Snoke or something

• Options
    Also, despite Luke not really getting along with Rey and the feeling seemingly being mutual....

....and despite Leia seeming to help train Rey in this movie and thus a justifiable bond (probably) being present....

....and despite Leia probably considering herself Leia Organa because Bail was a good father....

...Rey calls herself Skywalker. Fuck Leia, I guess.

Maybe she's still pining for mass murderer Ben Solo....and that's why she calls herself Skywalker.

....I obviously don't get it.

• Options
    The Kylo/Rey kiss is so bad. There's not exactly a lot of chemistry.

The hobbit being part of the rebellion, but just kind of hanging out, was weirdly distracting.

I thought Luke was handled okay.

Harrison Ford looks scruffy and old.

The fights are kind of boring and uninspired.

No one drinks directly from an alien. Fingers crossed for a Lucas special edition.

Those are my thoughts.

• Options
    My Pop Pop, Emperor Palpatine

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So Lando is not related to Finn?

Everything else aside I saw that rumor a lot and it made me very mad. I really need it to not be true

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Everything else aside I saw that rumor a lot and it made me very mad. I really need it to not be true

Not that I saw....but apparently Finn might be force sensitive? Haven't confirmed that one.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    My Pop Pop, Emperor Palpatine

Papatine

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Not that I saw....but apparently Finn might be force sensitive? Haven't confirmed that one.

Oh good.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    How fucking great of a grumpaw would Palpatine be, hed fuckin teach how to kill with your mind and blow shit up and let you smoke deathsticks before sending you home with your, uh, parents or something I guess

Wait didnt Rey like remember her supposed deadbeat parental units, who were them fuckin people

• Options
    If Rey is his granddaughter you know they can bring her dad (it’ll be her dad that’s the powerful force user, you know it in your heart) to be a bit villain any time they like.

Awful stuff all around.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Palpatine being Rey's grandfather is the only thing that's made sense goddamn sense this whole trilogy and I'm so glad I called that shit years ago. People were so busy grousing about her being related to an Kanobi or Skywalker that they forgot about the last time some kid in the desert was born with inexplicable abilities with the force.

Like her parents not mattering is a cool twist but I knew it wouldn't stick, and even Rian Johnson seems to have alluded to this in TLJ with the dark side cave and clones of herself and stuff.

Whether or not JJ pulled off the twist deftly is another conversation...

• Options
    It’s not a twist. Her being from nothing was a twist. This is sludge.

Also make cool new space ships. The new trilogy didn’t have enough new designs for spacecraft. That’s it, I’m out of this thread.

• Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Palpatine being Rey's grandfather is the only thing that's made sense goddamn sense this whole trilogy and I'm so glad I called that shit years ago. People were so busy grousing about her being related to an Kanobi or Skywalker that they forgot about the last time some kid in the desert was born with inexplicable abilities with the force.

Like her parents not mattering is a cool twist but I knew it wouldn't stick, and even Rian Johnson seems to have alluded to this in TLJ with the dark side cave and clones of herself and stuff.

How does it make sense.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    F
    If Rey is his granddaughter you know they can bring her dad (it’ll be her dad that’s the powerful force user, you know it in your heart) to be a bit villain any time they like.

Awful stuff all around.

The dad was stabbed with an evil Sith rune dagger, though. (The dagger is of course a CLUE to finding the sith homeworld.) So he seems pretty dead.

• Options
    "Your parents were nothing" yeah well wait till you get a load of grumpaw you moody fuck!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    this movie wasn't good

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    "Your parents were nothing" yeah well wait till you get a load of grumpaw you moody fuck!

“Yeah well my grampa beat up your grampaw”

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    My grumpaw is the fucking DEVIL dude your grumpaw eats shit

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

How does it make sense.

Like it doesn't because it's a mess, but the seeds were always there that she was born "of the dark side" from the first time the lightsaber called to her and the visions she sees, to her going straight to the dark side in TLJ with ease. Whether it would be Snoke, Palps or some other dumb Sith Lord, Rey's parentage was always going to be connected to dark side in some way. It seems some people just got caught up in "Girl has powers she didn't earn! Rabble rabble" without really thinking about the Star Wars of it all.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

finn has always been force sensitive, he's like humming with it in TFA. He's just not The Guy.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    i just have to say that palpatine being her grampaw is literally literally the plot of Hotel Transylvania 3

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Disregarding plot details for a moment, the early parts of the movie felt extremely rapid fire. Like if they had to get the length of the movie under a threshold, but refused to cut scenes.

• Options
    Now when you say Sith rune evil dagger...

• Options

How does it make sense.

Like it doesn't because it's a mess, but the seeds were always there that she was born "of the dark side" from the first time the lightsaber called to her and the visions she sees, to her going straight to the dark side in TLJ with ease. Whether it would be Snoke, Palps or some other dumb Sith Lord, Rey's parentage was always going to be connected to dark side in some way. It seems some people just got caught up in "Girl has powers she didn't earn! Rabble rabble" without really thinking about the Star Wars of it all.

I think that makes a lot more sense to you than it does make sense in general.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm in this thread because I don't care about spoilers and will watch this later, but I have a question.

From reviews it sounds like the movie discards/doesn't really address TLJ, so does that mean nothing is done with the kids who showed a bit of the force at the end of the last one?

• Options
    palpatine is her grandpa palpatine is her pop pop

that's the big idea, that's what was on the whiteboard and someone said yeah great one there JJ, perfect