As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I believe the inclusion of extreme range was just an optional rule, not a consequence of technological development.

Range bands in the tabletop are assigned per-weapon anyway, not based on fixed universal bands.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I feel like more has been written about those clans culturally, than militarily.

In general Coyote seemed to be big leaders in tech, and IIRC they favor heavy & assault mechs. They incorporate a lot of influences from (presumably southwestern US area) Native American cultures.

Cloud Cobra had a cosmopolitan mix of many different religious groups peacefully coexisting with each other (so much so that prior to the wars of reaving they hosted a gathering of religious leaders from across known human space, including the Inner Sphere).

Fire Mandrill basically never accomplished much of anything. They can best be summed up by the following quote:
    To fight against their equals, the Kindraa of Clan Fire Mandrill are forced to fight among themselves.

And the Burrock, aside from having the lamest possible totem (honestly, even 'Blood Spirit' is better), had close ties with Clan society's criminals and pirates, and got abjured for it. The warriors who weren't dirty refused to fight in defense of their clan, submitting to Star Adder absorption, and even fighting to oppose Blood Spirit forces when they swooped in to try and steal away some of the assets from the Adders.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The only real negative I can offer for Coyote is
    mxhdz310o8zg.png
    oof those are jarring colors. Like, the orange is so bright I feel like they'll be hard to read.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    What kind of self-loathing jackass chooses orange and blue for their colors

3basnids3lf9.jpg

If they were the other way around I'd be Coyote all the way. They even have the daggerstar, which I love

It's not the colors themselves, it's the contrast of blue-on-orange specifically that bugs me.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Tox wrote: »
    If they were the other way around I'd be Coyote all the way. They even have the daggerstar, which I love

It's not the colors themselves, it's the contrast of blue-on-orange specifically that bugs me.

A lot hinges on the specific Hue, Saturation, & Luminosity (or Value, if you prefer that system) numbers for the blue & orange as well. Some compliment each other really well, others not so much.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    mxhdz310o8zg.png
    oof those are jarring colors. Like, the orange is so bright I feel like they'll be hard to read.

I don't see anything wrong with this... Omaha Orange!!!

Edit: I know this isn't Omaha Orange, but I love orange and blue (with a blue green) for a certain reason.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    mxhdz310o8zg.png

Here, I did the sensible thing and inverted the colors for you. Much less eye-bleedy. Probably not exactly the right colors, either, but it gets the point across.

zH05uEj.png

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Like can someone reverse those colors? I'm on mobile but like seriously I feel like it would look so much better reversed

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    mxhdz310o8zg.png

I don't see anything wrong with this... Omaha Orange!!!

Edit: I know this isn't Omaha Orange, but I love orange and blue (with a blue green) for a certain reason.

And yellow and blue

kx3klFE.png
    Like can someone reverse those colors? I'm on mobile but like seriously I feel like it would look so much better reversed

My timing is impeccable, unless I'm missing something.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »

Yeah the orange exactly right but I think the blue has just a drop more green in it than what you used

edited December 2019

Yeah the orange exactly right but I think the blue has just a drop more green in it than what you used

I literally imported the image into GIMP and hit the "Invert Colors" button. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Cutting the Gordian Knot and all that. Blame the math. :P

Nips on
    I got this out of paint
    dx887t07qd69.jpg

Not sure it's much different, could be the flood of orange making the blue look blue-green

edited December 2019
    TL;DR - I spent an evening staring at my collection spreadsheet, Sarna, and the MUL, and got exactly nowhere. x_x Let the below stand for posterity that my OCD is killing me. I'm even going to quote it, to properly preserve in amber this ridiculous bullshit.
    In a funny twist of fate, the more I look at my spreadsheet, the more my Coyote problem starts to solve itself....by making a bunch of different problems elsewhere.

I already have this Star, currently planned for the Hell's Horses, using my existing collection:
    Jenner IIc (3): [4x SPL + NARC]
    Thunder Stallion (STD) [LB 20-X, 4x LRM-15]
    Kraken (3) [8x LRM-15 {Yes, that one}]
    Summoner (B) [2x LRM-20 + NARC]
    Warhawk (F) [2x ERPPC, LRM-10 + LRM-20]

Now, let's assume A) the Coyotes are using all Omnimechs, and will tend toward long-range loadouts as previously discussed, B) I want to use older sculpts of the Omnis to represent that the Coyotes have been using essentially "First Run" builds off the assembly lines when they were first produced...

...well, that gives me a Summoner and a Warhawk. Crud.

I'm a little sad to break up this Star as it stands, because on paper it's fucking terrifying, but such is the march of progress in the name of lore. I'm more sad, because it probably means rejiggering a chunk of other planned Stars to make this work.

As I typing this all out, I think I need to rethink this plan. *sigh*

Nips on
    edited December 2019
    @Nips PM me and I'll help brainstorm

e: historically, what I'm seeing is they tend toward heavy/assaults, using areospace figters to supplement the relative lack of mobility. Also, their biggest rivalries tend to be the so-called "snake alliance" in general (Steel Viper, Cloud Cobra, Star Adder) but in particular the Cloud Cobras. So, I like the idea of going with older models/sculpts, and I'd say lean towards heavy/assaults with lots of LRMs/ATMs, and go with mechs that would be the most effective against your snake units. I have an actual mech list as well if that will help

Tox on
    edited December 2019
    I think I like the Valkyrie rather a bit.
    3civ4jieq6na.jpg

Tox on
    Interestingly, the MUL has different (updated) line art for the Valk.

I didn't discover the Valk until late, and while it's not my cup of tea for a light (gottagofast), it's growing on me.

Valkyrie.jpg

edited December 2019
    Yeah if I'm being honest I'd rather it be 40 tons, 6/9/6, and I wanna see it with an LL and MRM-10.

But, you know, it can get there eventually.

Mostly I just really like the design.

Tox on
    Yeah, these are awesome and finally get to see the line art of two of my more favorite Battletech mechs. Oddly the Valkyrie was my first mech I got when I played Battletech for the very first time. My friend gave it to me and I loved running around lobbing LRMs into the enemy lines and blasting them with my laser.

But man, the Stinger. WOO!!! I love the design and can't wait for the figure.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited December 2019
    Why?

Gonna need a little more info before I reveal the location of Oosiks Satellite HQ to the world.

Nips on
    I don't see Talisker IV on that star map.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Why?

Gonna need a little more info before I reveal the location of Oosiks Satellite HQ to the world.

I see at least one dude near me. But yea... The inherent security risks are definitely there

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Marked the store in town I play at, as well as the next closest one I know gets Battletech traffic.

...Unfortunately, I just heard last night that our local store will be closing its doors come New Year's Eve. It'll be back to one of our player's house for our campaign, or a half-hour drive to the big city otherwise.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Marked the store in town I play at, as well as the next closest one I know gets Battletech traffic.

...Unfortunately, I just heard last night that our local store will be closing its doors come New Year's Eve. It'll be back to one of our player's house for our campaign, or a half-hour drive to the big city otherwise.

*sigh*

That sucks. I'm fortunate to live near an FLGS chain (three locations plus a discount warehouse!), but because of that Daddy Lifestyle I lead I literally never get to go play there. I'm legit hoping it's still around in a year or two to let me frequent it (or become a GM again) to support the local scene.

From what I can tell, the area around me for Battletech is all but dead barring private engagements (e.g. I host a game day at my house. Lol.)

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

*sigh*

That sucks. I'm fortunate to live near an FLGS chain (three locations plus a discount warehouse!), but because of that Daddy Lifestyle I lead I literally never get to go play there. I'm legit hoping it's still around in a year or two to let me frequent it (or become a GM again) to support the local scene.

From what I can tell, the area around me for Battletech is all but dead barring private engagements (e.g. I host a game day at my house. Lol.)

We have very different lives because every definition of "daddy lifestyle" I could think of for the first minute was the incorrect one and would not make gaming hard.

What is this I don't even.
    edited December 2019

Hah, one person in my tri-state area and they're at the wrong end of the state. Story of my tabletop gaming life. Ah well, don't even have a local shop I'd feel comfortable listing as my location. Fingers crossed one or both of my nephews takes a shine to it.

I've gotta try going to PAX Unplugged, but I suspect I'll just run into out of town gamers. Maybe CGL will be there next time? They weren't at the first but I haven't heard if they bothered this year.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    so i checked the map again just now and theres a dude literally down the road from me wanting people to hit him up for a game. shit.

kx3klFE.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Fuselage Did you put a marker in Dewitt?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

so i checked the map again just now and theres a dude literally down the road from me wanting people to hit him up for a game. shit.

He just wants to give you candy....

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There's a store that's literally 5 minutes away from me on that map, but I've never seen them doing anything related to battletech. Mostly they're board games and a small section for M:TG and GW stuff.

I marked my flgs which is doubly nice because it'll hopefully see an uptick in popularity

He just wants to give you candy....

If it's my time, so be it

kx3klFE.png
    Well, it happened folks.

Someone put in the effort to rip and remodel the Bullshark from BATTLETECH (Thingiverse), and someone else has a version up for sale (eBay).

Now to wrestle with the ethical question of whether to acquire one by some means.

Well, it happened folks.

Someone put in the effort to rip and remodel the Bullshark from BATTLETECH (Thingiverse), and someone else has a version up for sale (eBay).

Now to wrestle with the ethical question of whether to acquire one by some means.

Hmm, wonder if I can print one....

oosik_betsuni.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Well, it happened folks.

Hmm, wonder if I can print one....

I do need to order more filament...

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Fuselage Did you put a marker in Dewitt?

If this is an old thing, I don't remember.

If this is a new thing, it wasn't me!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited December 2019
    Can anyone identify any appreciable difference between the Box Set and Legendary sculpts of the Timber Wolf?

Tox on