As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Palpatine being Rey's grandfather is the only thing that's made sense goddamn sense this whole trilogy and I'm so glad I called that shit years ago. People were so busy grousing about her being related to an Kanobi or Skywalker that they forgot about the last time some kid in the desert was born with inexplicable abilities with the force.

Like her parents not mattering is a cool twist but I knew it wouldn't stick, and even Rian Johnson seems to have alluded to this in TLJ with the dark side cave and clones of herself and stuff.

Whether or not JJ pulled off the twist deftly is another conversation...

How does it make sense.

Like it doesn't because it's a mess, but the seeds were always there that she was born "of the dark side" from the first time the lightsaber called to her and the visions she sees, to her going straight to the dark side in TLJ with ease. Whether it would be Snoke, Palps or some other dumb Sith Lord, Rey's parentage was always going to be connected to dark side in some way. It seems some people just got caught up in "Girl has powers she didn't earn! Rabble rabble" without really thinking about the Star Wars of it all.

I think that makes a lot more sense to you than it does make sense in general.

Just.... just let me have this...

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It’s so crazy that they took all the worst Reddit fantheories of what could happen and then did them

6F32U1X.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Like when you guys say she is Palps granddaughter you mean that literally right? The guy who is known for helping to invent a way to manipulate life itself? Who previously is implied to have created Anakin? And the super power girl drawn to the dark side is just... his kids kid? Not a an intentional recreation of the event that created Anakin? Not an intentional attempt to create a new right hand for him to return to life and power?

Just

his kids kid.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Force is genetic

Because Star Wars is about family

Platy on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It’s so crazy that they took all the worst Reddit fantheories of what could happen and then did them

In retrospect this is not surprusing from the man who did a Star Trek reboot and literally said " Its ok the other stuff happened!" IN THE MOVIE

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited December 2019
    Like when you guys say she is Palps granddaughter you mean that literally right? The guy who is known for helping to invent a way to manipulate life itself? Who previously is implied to have created Anakin? And the super power girl drawn to the dark side is just... his kids kid? Not a an intentional recreation of the event that created Anakin? Not an intentional attempt to create a new right hand for him to return to life and power?

Just

his kids kid.

Yeah, I guess? Like maybe he seeded a bunch of life across the galaxy and Anakin was the only one who showed promise and the rest he ignored and they went off and did their thing, and one day he decided to slaughter them all Baratheon style which is why her parents hid her? I'm doing a lot of heavy lifting here but that's what it seems like in my current head canon until Faloni or someone comes in and cleans up the mess.

Cristoval on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Shoutout to Ben's old LARP crew who stand around and do nothing almost the whole movie.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Shoutout to Ben's old LARP crew who stand around and do nothing almost the whole movie.

Do the Sith Troopers do anything cool at least?

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    so, uh

anyone want to tell me about the space horses in the trailer?

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, uh

anyone want to tell me about the space horses in the trailer?

There are space horses

That's it really

Also leaving aside the thematic stuff going on with this film, a lot of it just wasn't any good to watch

It was just kinda boring and everyone had to constantly be saying "this is really important" because you sure as hell didn't feel it

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Ask yourself this, who the hell would let Palpatine in them?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

uyvfOQy.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Tarkin

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    this movie reminds me of pirates of the carribean 3

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    palpatine does say Do It at one point which got a big laugh

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wait

how is palpatine even around and kickin' it in this movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I know there's a million clones of him in the EU stuff. So that's not a surprise at all.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    yeah but i want to know the movie's reason

6vjsgrerts6r.png

wait

how is palpatine even around and kickin' it in this movie

the rebels are discussing it at the beginning and someone goes "who fucking knows its just clones or some shit" and then later palps goes "the power of the dark side yada yada yada"

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    They can't even be explicit that it's a clone? Fucking cowards

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I read the spoilers and now I want to see this dumb, dumb, stupid fucking movie.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So

If I’m reading this right.

There is an obvious already established reason why both Rey could be connected to Palpantine and also why he would be alive and they just

Ignore it?

For a vague Nonexplaination?

Did someone need to turn the script in on a deadline and only start the day before?

Quire.jpg
    he's also the personification of all the sith or whatever

i went to a midnight screening and i am at work and i have had like 4 hours of sleep and i cannot be fucked with work so i am very happy to talk about how this film was pretty silly

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I want to see this wonderful mess of a movie so much

edit:
    Lalabox wrote: »
    he's also the personification of all the sith or whatever

He's Tenebrae, the Immortal Sith Emperor!

Depressperado on
    Right?! I had no interest until I found out it was absurdly fucking stupid

it is the opposite of TLJ in that it is probably going to be more fun to talk about than see

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I mean, I am a Star Wars boy so I was gonna see it anyway

but the various things I've heard is checkin' all my boxes.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

Do the Sith Troopers do anything cool at least?

Besides the color of their armor, I would not consider them noticeably different from normal stormtroopers.

There were two stormtroopers with jetpacks, which was cool.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I assumed he fell into a wormhole when Vader threw him down the shaft or something

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Cannot believe my man JJ is so good at uniting fanbases that he confirmed reylo in a way that's going to make EVERYONE mad, including reylo shippers

there are a lot of ideas that sound bad and are then executed even worse it's great

edited December 2019
    As someone who loved TLJ, and found Solo fun enough I will probably really enjoy this one for how wild it gets.

I didn't buy into all the pre-release snarky hot takes for TLJ so it doesn't feel right to do the same for this one, even though I know exactly what a JJ product will deliver. Star Wars is stupid as hell, and while I know it can and should strive to be more than that, I've never hurt my enjoyment in the past. Even with the PT, it didn't have to strive to be some critical think piece, I just wish it had like, better characters and acting, which the new trilogy has in spades.

Cristoval on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    very excited for the intense nerd battles on youtube about whether the plot of this trillion dollar children's movie is Disney's subtle way of telling Rian Johnson that feminism is bad actually

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    The first two were totally watchable and moderately enjoyable films that I didn't actually like at all.

This one being a weird stupid mess that upsets everyone for different reasons could make it way more interesting to watch and fun to think and talk about after.

The Chappie of Star Wars films.

uyvfOQy.png
    I love the fact that the opening crawl is just

“Fucken, Palpatine shows up!”

No explanation just “yeah! You love this shit!”

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I haven't seen this yet but I've been really apprehensive about it and I caught enough of a glimpse of a spoiler that I'm just going whole hog on em like I did ahead of the GoT finale

At least this way I won't react in shock and dismay at dumb shit in the theater on the night of

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I don't know man I know it's silly cause these are wacky space movies but they're wacky space movies I been watching since I was a kiddo and I just think there must have been a more satisfying way to wrap things up, there had to be

Grey Ghost on
    it doesn't really feel like a wrap up for a trilogy

kinda just feels like another installment in the star wars franchise