As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Fanboost is silly, but while attack mode may seem "gamey" the point is it introduces strategy choices similar to pit stops, fueling levels, tire compounds, etc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I do appreciate how adaptive Formula E has been. Maybe it's because they are still relatively new and trying to figure out what works best for the sport, but they certainly aren't afraid to try new things.

I miss seeing them change cars mid-race though.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Formula E is just a hoot to watch. Sure, its a mess. But a fun mess!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Unless I find a YouTube re-run, watching FE in America is frustratingly difficult. I really wish the FIA would get off it's ass and make the races part of the F1 Pro package. I'm already paying you 99 bucks a year or whatever it is, you can't get FE races in there? I'm sure it's some dumb licensing or broadcast rights thing...still should happen.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Nicholas Latifi is taking the Kubica vacated seat at Williams next season. Two Canadians in F1...woo!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    As much as I will never be unhappy that any given weekend has an F1 race, as even the worst race is better than no race at all, thinking about Abu Dhabi this weekend is just making me more and more annoyed that this spectacular Brazil race was not the season finale.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Unless I find a YouTube re-run, watching FE in America is frustratingly difficult. I really wish the FIA would get off it's ass and make the races part of the F1 Pro package. I'm already paying you 99 bucks a year or whatever it is, you can't get FE races in there? I'm sure it's some dumb licensing or broadcast rights thing...still should happen.

Honestly, watching Formula E is frustratingly difficult even if you have easy access to the footage.

For some reason, I suspect largely because most of the entrants are corporate car manufacturers, all of the cars look very similar, with lots of neutral inoffensive colour schemes that all tend to blur into a same-y mess on the track.

On top of that, the timing tower makes absolutely no effort to help you resolve these confusing liveries, with no useful form of colour coding whatsoever.

What the fuck is this;
    s2lb907ay1tc.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    j7qqux6git9y.jpg

ax6u817l9h48.jpg

• Options
    But then they go and have amazing content like this helmet camera

https://streamable.com/dj2tw

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    But then they go and have amazing content like this helmet camera

https://streamable.com/dj2tw

Holy shit, WHAT?

F1, why isn't this in your broadcasts yet? WTF?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Veevee on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    In the provisional entry list for 2020, it appears that Scuderia Toro Rosso is having a name change, and will become Scuderia Alpha Tauri. The name is taken from Red Bull's clothing line.

The driver line-up is unchanged - Gasly and Kvyat confirmed - but no news yet on whether this will be accompanied by a livery change.

Commentators the world over are currently banging their heads into their microphones at the prospect of having to carefully differentiate between Alfa Romeo and Alpha Tauri in the heat of the moment.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Just keep calling them Sauber and Toro Rosso.

• Options
    Just keep calling them Sauber and Minardi.

FTFY :)

• Options
    yawn

• Options
    As much as I will never be unhappy that any given weekend has an F1 race, as even the worst race is better than no race at all, thinking about Abu Dhabi this weekend is just making me more and more annoyed that this spectacular Brazil race was not the season finale.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Very anticlimactic
    a real shame that Lando didn't manage to hold off Perez, 10th in his rookie season would have been amazing. This was made worse by the final lap reshuffling getting no camera time at all in favour of Hamilton tooling round in clear air, GJ tv director, very GJ indeed

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Lest we forget, this race marked the end of Nico Hulkenberg's F1 career. I really hope we can add "for now" to that sentence and that he gets a drive again in due course, but that might be a long shot at this point. One of the best F1 drivers to never get a podium finish.

Although he has the Le Mans win, at least. I've seen no word yet on what he'll go and do next, but I hope we've not seen the last of him.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Very anticlimactic
    a real shame that Lando didn't manage to hold off Perez, 10th in his rookie season would have been amazing. This was made worse by the final lap reshuffling getting no camera time at all in favour of Hamilton tooling round in clear air, GJ tv director, very GJ indeed

I have only 1 agree to give, but want to give so much more
    Norris and Perez were dueling for so many rounds before, but the camera was more interested in Bottas/Vettel who had like 5-6 seconds between them at that point. Apparently if you're not in the Top 5, you don't matter to F1.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Can’t wait for next season.

• Options
    Feels weird to think the very next F1 race will be the one I'll be at.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Makes me cringe seeing some of those cars get banged up.

Historic Legend Rally Cars Crash Compilation 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCPfgnW2rM

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh damn, there's some pretty rare classics getting properly fucked up in that compilation, how sad!

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh man, that's hard to watch at times!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven't used my sim racing setup in anger in almost two months now, been so busy. Been practicing the F3 car in iRacing a lot lately. I really, really like driving this car. Too bad the track this week is Donnington, which I love a lot less than the car.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I haven't used my sim racing setup in anger in almost two months now, been so busy. Been practicing the F3 car in iRacing a lot lately. I really, really like driving this car. Too bad the track this week is Donnington, which I love a lot less than the car.

I'm a fan of the shortened version of Donington that goes straight into a chicane into the finish line after the back straight

one of these days I'll get T1 right at Donington.

Dhalphir on
  • Options

I'm a fan of the shortened version of Donington that goes straight into a chicane into the finish line after the back straight

one of these days I'll get T1 right at Donington.

T1 at Donington for me is like, the last corner of Brands Hatch. I don't think I've ever taken an even remotely good line through there, even on accident

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    oh yeah last corner at Brands Hatch is even worse

i feel like i need a half gear for that corner - third is too low and fourth is too high.

Donington I just can't decide if a classic apex or a late apex is the way to go.

It seems like a slower entry would make sense since it's effectively a long straight right after it, but it's actually quite a long corner so you feel so shit carrying no speed into it

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Ferrari have extended Leclerc's contract until 2024.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Ferrari have extended Leclerc's contract until 2024.

In related news, LeClerc just bought two mansions, a helicopter, and a huge yacht.

• Options
    The trick to Donnington T1 is realizing how much you can cut in to the area next to the pit exit to get a wider arc in to the corner. It's terrifying if someone is trying to exit the pits as you try and make the corner, but it gives you a ton of extra room to carry speed. For me the killer corner is turn 7, right before you go up the hill. I can never get the braking point right and I either slow down way too much, or not enough, and I'm always hitting the corner shallow and getting on the power too early. I just haven't figured out the flow of that corner yet.

• Options
    People that do Baja/Dakar on a bike are completely insane.

Dakar Rally Champions Take On The 2019 Score Baja 1000 Desert Race (26 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsKTnZCwUIM

• Options
    Ken Block Goes Flat Out in 6th Gear Through Fog And Rain in the Swiss Alps With Neil Cole (13 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WRDkpqCK1Y

• Options
    Playing Project Cars 2, I found a friend of mine had set a time in late 2018 around Donington National, in the Lamborghini Huracan GT3. I decided to try and beat it. He was 18th on the leaderboards, with a 1:05.3. I messaged him, saying that I was going to beat it. He laughed and said if I did, he'd set his wheel and VR back up and take it back.

So I got to work. My first lap, 4 days ago now, was a 1:07.5. Over a couple hours I brought that down to a 1:06.5. The next day didn't see much improvement at first, but then I finished the day with a 1:05.5, only two tenths off. Studied his ghost some more, worked on my car setup. The day after that, I brought my time down to a 1:04.9, beating him by four tenths.

Yesterday he beat me again, with a 1:04.7. I did some grinding immediately, and was on pace for a 1:04.5 when I put one tyre slightly too far off the track and got the lap invalidated. That tilted me out of the game for the day.

This morning I sat down to try again, and actually managed to put together some really consistent laps. My third lap was a 1:04:681 against his 1:04:704. Technically a victory, but I wasn't satisfied.

Another half hour of grinding later, and I put together this lap. There's probably more to be gained here, but I'm going to take a break and drive something else for a bit;

https://streamable.com/0bfyj

1:04.420

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Awesome.

Can you please convert that to parsecs for me?

Honestly though I wish I had that kind of competitive experience with gaming again.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    We're still quite a bit slower than the really fast aliens - the guy who is #1 on the leaderboard has a 1:03.7, 7 tenths faster than me, and I honestly have no idea where to find that time. But the friendly rivalry has really ignited a real interest in getting better and better at this.

• Options
    Ayyyy, 1:04:420

giphy.gif

• Options
    <70 days until FP1 Australia. Can’t wait.

• Options
    Only a month and a bit until pre-season testing, but I don't think it'll be terribly exciting this year

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    wow.

i knew the cars were big but.... wow

This discussion has been closed.