As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

1111213141517»

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, I beat King of Cards.

Yeah, that's about exactly how I expected this to end.

I'm told there's a secret boss, but that it's locked behind beating all the joustus, so I'm kind of thinking I'm not going to do that.

You specifically need to beat the opponents in each House of Joustus, minus (I think) the puzzles. You don’t need to beat every oppinent on the airship.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I stated to cheat a lot to win and I enjoyed how it just destroys any sort of difficult curve the card game once had. Also, now that I'm toward the end I can say that I've picked up on some of the basics that were lost on me at the start.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I lost 5 times in a row to Tinker knight in Joustus. So I went and bough a cheat aaaaand won twice in a row.

Whoops.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If you unlock the last joustus house the cards in chests there and in other chests should carry you easily through all the battles in the houses. Some of the people on the airship are harder than the joustus houses.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Doing the Jump Economy feat had me wondering how few jumps could get you through the game.

Only to find that you need like, 5 in the second stage alone. And all the heirloom stages disable the shoulder bash, so getting to the point where you can cheese shit is real tough.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Which stage did you use?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited December 2019
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Which stage did you use?

For the feat? Flying Machine: Ladder Factory. Was able to get onto a lot of ledges with a combination of the scorching saber, scepter of swiftness, bubble frog, and spinny thing, plus making sure to use the shoulder bash to hop to things. The emphasis of the level on dashing between ladders and climbing helped make it work.

Oh, and dying doesn’t invalidate the feat. I died a bunch looking for a missing merit medal and still got the feat.

Edit:

But really, just about any stage will do, especially after you get all the relics.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I went far too long in Joustus before even having any cheat cards. Once I realized where they were and what they did it was smooth sailing.

You literally just do not have to try.

Just play in a way that works against yourself and lets the opponent grab all of or most of the gems and then play the Gem Thief card right before the last space on the board is occupied.

Viskod on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Can you play a card when you use a cheat or is the cheat your card?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Can you play a card when you use a cheat or is the cheat your card?

The cheat is your move. Except for the "Play all 3 cards" cheat.

The best way to cheat the whole system is probably to use the "Steal all gems" cheat when there's only one space left. Either intentionally play like shit, or just bust it out if things aren't going your way. The "Play all 3 cards" cheat is also handy if you're in the lead and there are only 3 empty spaces left. I've never really found the beeto cheat useful in any way.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The cheats are like the boss powers that the house bosses have. When they use them, they also use up their turn. Aside from the one guy whose boss power is taking your turn away.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    that optional boss fight sure is something.
    I did not expect such Final Fantasy in there

I must say, i'm of two minds about the tendency for bosses and stronger enemies to drop hearts.

One hand, it's neat and it lets me win, other hand... maybe it makes things too easy?

IDK.

EDIT: Like i beat the optional boss in just 3 tries, playing kinda sloppy.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    It makes beating boss stage without touching a heart pretty annoying I’ll say.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Boy....

That lighthearted story sure takes a turn at the very end.

Sigh.

• Options
    Well, it is King Knight.

• Options
    Buying Treasure Trive for the PS4 and working backwards in the campaigns from King to Specter to Plague to Shovel made me realize Shovel Knights campaign, the main campaign. Is the worst one.

It’s so bare bones and empty by comparison. It’s a shame Shovel of Hope didn’t get additional updates with each new campaign.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Well, that’s how it’s going to feel when you spend 4 games iterating on ideas for the same core locations and mechanics. The earlier pass isn’t going to have those later inspirations in play. Puts me in mind of the NES Mega Man titles; same engine forever, but there’s a definite progression over time, in density of ideas.

All that to say, Shovel certainly isn’t a bad game; it was and is very good. But there’s definitely a lot to be said about the extra stuff in the later games.

Enlong on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Well, that’s how it’s going to feel when you spend 4 games iterating on ideas for the same core locations and mechanics. The earlier pass isn’t going to have those later inspirations in play. Puts me in mind of the NES Mega Man titles; same engine forever, but there’s a definite progression over time, in density of ideas.

All that to say, Shovel certainly isn’t a bad game; it was and is very good. But there’s definitely a lot to be said about the extra stuff in the later games.

i still need to play King Knights, but mechanically i adore Plague Knight and i'd love if we got more Plague Knight to play. His potion crafting was just so NEAT

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

i still need to play King Knights, but mechanically i adore Plague Knight and i'd love if we got more Plague Knight to play. His potion crafting was just so NEAT

I think Plague Knight is definitely my favorite Knight to play as.
    King Knight definitely has my favorite overworld and campaign.

• Options
    I think the final battles of shovel knight are still my favorite. It was great to see how well they work together.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I gotta say that YC really did an admirable job with the amount of new stuff added to each campaign. Like the anglerfish scrolling vertically instead of horizontally in King Knight. They added just enough new enemies/animations to make each campaign feel new. I can safely say I will return to Treasure Trove for years to come.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I started up Shovel of Hope today, and man... Shovel Knight has some mad hops? The other knights all have higher jumping abilities overall, but Shovel Knight clears half the screen on one press of the button and goes even higher on a pogo. I was surprised.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Yeah. When Plague of Shadows first came out, the general thought in comparison to Shovel Knight was “wow, Plague Knight cannot jump”. Followed about an hour later with “wow, Plague Knight can fly!

Which, incidentally, was basically my reaction to trying Tinker Knight in Showdown. That Mobile Gear can take him anywhere.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I was always kind of sad we didn't get Tinker Knight as one of the voted characters. As much as I'm enjoying my slow burn of King of Cards, I could imagine much crazier gameplay gimmicks from Tinker Knight.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »
    I was always kind of sad we didn't get Tinker Knight as one of the voted characters. As much as I'm enjoying my slow burn of King of Cards, I could imagine much crazier gameplay gimmicks from Tinker Knight.

Propeller knight for me.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    If we're dreaming, a full length Shield Knight/Shovel Knight two player co-op campaign would be phenomenal.

• Options
    I want a game about Donovan.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I want a game about Donovan.

Well, Specter of Torment was certainly about Donovon, Burnt I see what you mean. A full campaign of the buddy dynamic between him and Luan would be neat.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I finally took the time over the holiday break to catch up on these games (only ever beat the original and got a tiny way into Plague Knight). Super fun. I need to finish King of Cards, just kinda started it. Already not liking it as much though. Don't care for the card game much at all :( Feels like the CPU generally is impossible at times unless you specifically cheat :/ Maybe I just suck at it. His mobility is also super weird - I guess the game is aping Wario Land? I dunno, I'll see after I play more. Plague Knight had weird ass mobility too but eventually his skills made it more manageable (at least, the beaker platform one did)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    King Knight gets Heirlooms that greatly increase his movement options.

The biggest help I can think of for the card game is to always consider what the opponent will be able to do on their turn before you place your card. Playing blindly got me many losses, so I had to slow down.

• Options
    The easiest way to do the card game is to wait until you get to the fourth joustus house. The cards you get there and in the preceeding stage for free are easily enough to beat that house, and with all those cards nothing will stand in your way. The problem is the game starts you off with an incredibly terrible deck. Really Really amazingly bad.

There is some strategy to it, but you can't do much with the cards you have and the first three bosses have moves like your cheats to help them win. The fourth boss only can make you lose your turn if you take too long which can actually work to your advantage.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I finally got to see my SK amiibos and they are indeed radical. All 3 look great and without any of those horrendous plastic pillars Nintendo uses. I wonder how many of amiibos I would have bought by now if the ones I liked didn't have the clear plastic chunks.

• Options
    Just finished King of Cards New Game+. Its actually pretty difficult since you only get 4 hearts, your herilooms use your money to activate, and if you get hit your money explodes out of you like sonic the hedgehog. That was my final acheivment for King of Cards, now I just have Showdown to get my 100% back.

Man I love these games and I can't wait for Dig.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Ariiiiiiiiiiiiise.

I finally beat Specter Knight's campaign. I fell off of it because I didn't like the way he controlled, but I started it up again last week and finished it today.

Boy oh boy, is his campaign sad. Where Plague's ended and I was like actually super happy with the ending because of how fucking cute and adorable it was, this one ended on a super somber note. I liked all the variations on the bosses and levels, the main hub was really cool, and of course the music was fucking aces. Excited to work on King Knight next.

Oh, also they revealed Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon last week as well. Which looks cool:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcfQaOvgOG0

• Options
    I love the music from specter knight. I have the lich yard and treasure knight as ringtones.

The king knight campaign is awesome and you should love it as well. Don’t get bummed if joustus doesn’t work for you initially, your starter deck is a dumpster fire incapable of much success.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀