As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Game of the decade? Probably Sekiro.

Or Horizon Zero Dawn, which is totally a PC game, folks!

Just going by "how much fun did I have while playing it", it's those two, with Dark Souls 2, Mass Effect 2 and Alan Wake as the remaining contenders.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    About an hour into Dragon Quest XI and it feels good to have hit the "No, my beloved peasant village!" stage.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    That is the DQ 11 experience.

It's more or less the dream jrpg as dreamt up in 1995.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'm actually taking a break from Disco Elysium because things got sort of crazy and I wound up trying to shoot a child and I dont think I can carry on like this and the last save was awhile ago

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm actually taking a break from Disco Elysium because things got sort of crazy and I wound up trying to shoot a child and I dont think I can carry on like this and the last save was awhile ago

5p0bdjti7yxb.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Mount & Blade: Warband came out in 2010 so that would also need to be on my list

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    dangit Elite

the Adder should have room for at least one crew member, there's a co-pilot seat right there.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    FTL and the Witchers are my games of the decade, followed closely by Watch Dogs 2 and the Total Warhammers.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    mine are either the Dark Soulses or The Witcher 3

oh or Final Fantasy 14 and/or The Old Republic. I got many hours out of those games.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm not great at picking favorites, but Witcher 3 is definitely my #1 for the decade.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dark Souls deserves a spot on the list for influence alone, as does Skyrim.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    cTZpLoK.jpg
    I think it just edges out Witcher in terms of how I feel about it

like it dropped exactly when I needed a game that was mainly about being good to people and building a community

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Brolo wrote: »
    cTZpLoK.jpg
    I think it just edges out Witcher in terms of how I feel about it

like it dropped exactly when I needed a game that was mainly about being good to people and building a community

Oh man I love these rugs

edit: wow this image was bigger than I thought it was
    CITY_ROAD_1_def37b33-03d3-43cf-8083-a3de2a700e64_4035x.jpg?v=1571439488

Crippl3 on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    So in the previous PC Games thread, I ended it with a post about Exposure, an upcoming game that was taking the original code and design of a Portal 2 prototype called F-STOP, provided by Valve to indie developers Lunch House and turning it into a full game.

Well...a little bit after I posted it, the game's website was taken down along with the YouTube trailer for it.
    Just now, it was re-updated with a new trailer and website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9vUzt9xhnI&feature=youtu.be
    Exposure is a project in development by us at LunchHouse Software, taking the form of a multi-part video series which documents the mechanics of Valve's F-STOP. The mechanics are not based on speculation or heresay. Instead, Exposure uses the original, official code from Valve's own F-STOP, or as it was properly named, Aperture Camera. We've reached out to Valve, who've given us explicit permission to continue with our project using their original code.

What we've shown today are simply the base mechanics of the game. There's a lot of depth to these mechanics, many of which have never been seen by the public. We look forward to sharing more with you all in the near future.

It turns out it's not a game at all, just a series of videos showing off the mechanics and content of that original prototype. When asked if this is something that will become a full game, or at least released to the public:
    As of now, no. But we're doing our best to make something worthwhile and we're open to seeing what's possible in the future, Valve permitting.

Lame.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Time is a fake concept everything that has ever happened or will happen is happening right now forever

This means, of course, that you are already dead.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    dangit Elite

the Adder should have room for at least one crew member, there's a co-pilot seat right there.

Rude for you to sacrifice your imaginary friend's seat.

*They will remember that.*

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    So for new stuff of 2019, it was a few indie games, and expansions for things I already was invested in.

1. Kind Words - This is a really cool and cheap app, to engage with strangers.
    There were several times I sent out messages concerning my worries, and got amazing responses anonymously. Sometimes you just want a different perspective, or any learned perspective at all for a scary transition. It's cool this game/app can facilitate that. More important than recieving some help and encouragement, is having a sanctioned outlet to do that for other people without feeling noisy, overbearing, suffocating. Taking an hour to think on a question or problem, and one's response is a really cool way to spend time. It's time I won't ever regret.

2. Disco Elysium - Superb voice acting. I loved the implementation of a RPG party, that is just different manifestations of one's psyche and mind. The writing and voice acting was strong enough to pull me in and make me emotionally invested in whether or not I was going to fuck things up for the characters and world around the cop I had inhabited for the story. It's a game where it's incredibly hard to do one's job, and still be a decent human being, and I loved that challenge of trying to get there. That love also follow the sense of wonder at the strange reality and world that story takes place in. The music surrounding the story beats of the game is incredible.

3. Evolution Board Game - I bounced off this game when playing it live with friends. I just really didn't learn how to play it and got ruthlessly crushed. The digital edition does a excellent job teaching the game through a mini campaign, introducing the cards, and slowly allowing you to figure out how they intereact into a winning strategy by playing ai specifically tuned towards them. I really like evolution now that I'm out of the baby pool, and can swim with confidence with the sharks.

4. Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - I liked this game better than King of Dragon Pass. I'm still wondering if I'm drastically misplaying this game though, as the feedback for play is near nonexistent. I haven't finished the game, and I'm left wondering if I need to set things up to end, or if the end will just arrive with the passage of time and planned events.

5. Mystic Vale - I liked the base game of mystic vale a lot. The expansions however kind of make the game worse and more random and swingey. I love the push your luck mechanic for this game and the art is phenomenal. That said, I wouldn't get the season pass for this game, or get the expansions in real life. There are some large fundamental problems with this game's design and nature of it's market place- the avenue for buying new cards with resources earned from cards. I'm a little harsher on the game after playing the boardgame, Edge of Darkness, which solves a large number of issues, and adds a lot of fun complex factors.

6. Endless Legend™ Symbiosis expansion - A sweet new faction and mechanic for one of the best Civ style games period. Probably my favorite game of that genre. I like racing to tame the 4 behemoths that appear in the game's expansion, and enjoyed hopping around the map with the single large city faction, that Symbiosis adds.

7. Stellaris: Ancient Relics Story Pack expansion - Stellaris is an amazing space 4x, but can ultimately become a bit boring in the mid game. This story pack adds a lot of meaningful potential mysteries and stories to pop up in one's game. Due to the exclusive nature of the ancient relics that you study, it is unlikely that a player will uncover more than a few each playthrough. This is a really cool pack that adds some more mystery to an amazing story rich game.

8. Battle Brothers - Warriors of the North expansion
    Adds origins which seems like a fundamental thing the base game should have. Allows you to have different starts, and different parameters for what will be success. The new monsters, locations, champions and factions are fine. More story events are welcome. The game developers are kinda gross though. The base game's treatment of women, the poor, and the disabled, still sucks eggs.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, that Exposure "it's not really a game" announcement was a real bummer :(

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Game of the decade is Starwhal.

CorporateRed on
    Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I put the total warhammer II on my wishlist, I'm just kinda unsure how much time I'd give it, even though I am a person with at least one warhammer related tattoo.

Weaver wrote: »
    I put the total warhammer II on my wishlist, I'm just kinda unsure how much time I'd give it, even though I am a person with at least one warhammer related tattoo.

What is it a tattoo of, if I may ask?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hammer, probably. For warrin' with.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Elaro wrote: »

b1icJYI.jpg
    when you get up close, the detail the tattoo artist was able to work in is staggering
    as someone who has viewed countless examples over the years, I must say that never have i seen a butt tattoo with such vivid color. it was over 15 years of work finishing the entire piece, and had to be re-started several times due to accidents, fire damage, etc, but in the end the result is so well worth it. working the sphincter into the red eye in the background... brilliant. truly inspired.

edited December 2019
    Am I askin' you

:heartbeat:

Elaro on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

b1icJYI.jpg
    when you get up close, the detail the tattoo artist was able to work in is staggering
    as someone who has viewed countless examples over the years, I must say that never have i seen a butt tattoo with such vivid color. it was over 15 years of work finishing the entire piece, and had to be re-started several times due to accidents, fire damage, etc, but in the end the result is so well worth it. working the sphincter into the red eye in the background... brilliant. truly inspired.

no Olynius Pious, image is shit

edited December 2019
    It's a blend of pre & post heresy emblems of the Thousand Sons legion. I'm currently planning on getting the symbols for the sorcerer cults done. I've got corvidae and pyrae planned but haven't decided where the rest will go yet.

Weaver on
    PiptheFair wrote: »

b1icJYI.jpg

no Olynius Pious, image is shit

Every time I see Sanguinius laid out like that, this pops in my head-

https://youtu.be/f5tnVODuI-g

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular

If you haven't already, you should play total warhammer 1 first to see if you like it, it's cheaper, and it unlocks those races and the mortal empire campaign in total warhammer 2.

Overall 2 is the better, but more difficult, game. But if you're not liking what you have in 1, 2 is just more of the same but even more difficult IMO.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It has been a fantastic decade for the rise of the so-called indie walking simulator/revival of adventure games. Gone Home, Firewatch, Edith Finch, Life is Strange...

The way in which narrative has been integrated in an interactive medium is just bounds beyond where it was a decade ago. Certainly my favourite trend of the decade; a few of those games would contend for game of the decade as well with a few of the other usual suspects.

Witcher 3 stands out in AAA for a similar reason; delivering on an amazing narrative experience.

Into the Breach hasn't been mentioned either, but swings from the other end; by distilling the game down to its most reduced elements it creates a compelling gameplay experience.

Of course, my backlog weeps at the number of experiences I haven't had time to try yet. Try and wear it down a few more notches these holidays.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I've started Witcher 2. That was this decade, right?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Witcher 3 came out in like 2014 and it still kind of feels like a game from the future

I’m really glad it came out after Dragon Age 3 because boy it would have been a shame if the reverse had happened

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Beat Jedi Fallen Order
    I figured out the big thing at the end way before it happened due to how the codex was set up, which was kind of a bummer. They still made it cool to watch.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Karl Geralt The Witcher (Enhanced Edition) Diary Part 2
    Just found out my mate Thaler is a spy and now doing some spy stuff for him. So far this involves
    • Getting shitfaced drunk
    • Stealing someone's letter
    • Having sex with a princess.

I am currently repeatedly beating up people in a pub for cash. Soon I will have enough money to get a new steel sword forged with space metal.

Meta note: I am still very glad I picked to play this game on easy. The combat is just....not great. It's this odd rhythm-based combat system that is just a bit clunky. Same for the controls in general. Sometimes I click on things and nothing happens.

However I'm still really enjoying this, and currently would give this a solid 8/10.

Karl on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Time is a fake concept everything that has ever happened or will happen is happening right now forever

Man I wish, that would mean I'd be stuffed with meat forever

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Peas wrote: »
    Your wish came true

BLISS

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited December 2019
    Karl wrote: »
    Just found out my mate Thaler is a spy and and now doing some spy stuff for him. So far this involves

I am currently repeatedly beating up people in a pub for cash. Soon I will have enough money to get a new steel sword forged with space metal.

Meta note: I am still very glad I picked to play this game on easy. The combat is just....not great. It's this odd rhythm-based combat system that is just a bit clunky. Same for the controls in general. Sometimes I click on things and nothing happens.

However I'm still really enjoying this, and currently would give this a solid 8/10.

witcher 1 combat is a weird thing, with some timing based rhythm stuff kinda bolted on to the aurora engine to make its MMO hotbar style combat more interesting

I don't think it ever really works well for the game, but it particularly falls apart during boss battles and larger fights, so just chug as many options as you can and hope for the best

Brolo on
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Just found out my mate Thaler is a spy and and now doing some spy stuff for him. So far this involves

witcher 1 combat is a weird thing, with some timing based rhythm stuff kinda bolted on to the aurora engine to make its MMO hotbar style combat more interesting

I don't think it ever really works well for the game, but it particularly falls apart during boss battles and larger fights, so just chug as many options as you can and hope for the best

I'd recommend investing into Igni skills, and just burning past enemies that are vulnerable to fire.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
    Luiane wrote: »

I'd recommend burning past enemies that ill like fire, Arisen

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.