As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Huh. They still look good but they got rid of all the different kinds of rolls you have to do and now any 6 to wound is 2 wounds. Also plus 1 to charge and run.

I kinda dig it.

Edit: wait nm. They went from 5 attacks on the charge to 3

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I wasn't sure what to run on my Plague Monks before the new warscroll and I'm still unsure.

I'm gonna end up with 80 monks since I was able to get a third battleforce and a box of Plague Monks.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I wasn't sure what to run on my Plague Monks before the new warscroll and I'm still unsure.

I'm gonna end up with 80 monks since I was able to get a third battleforce and a box of Plague Monks.

If you're gonna run them in blocks of 40 I'd say staff and sword. You're gonna want the 2 inch range

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Huh. They still look good but they got rid of all the different kinds of rolls you have to do and now any 6 to wound is 2 wounds. Also plus 1 to charge and run.

I kinda dig it.

Edit: wait nm. They went from 5 attacks on the charge to 3

6 if doing woe staves?(edit: oh shit no they really blew this warscroll up) And they removed all the instruments. The whole revamp is kind of a pain but I get it, it was the worlds longest warscroll for a battleline and they were just a super garbage disposal that would annihilate anything you put in front of them. having to reread that whole thing everytime you do anything with them for your first few games was really tedious.

edit: The scroll

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

If you're gonna run them in blocks of 40 I'd say staff and sword. You're gonna want the 2 inch range

Is that a good way to run them? With 3 battleforce boxes (I have a fucking problem but at least I only had to pay for 2) and an extra box of clanrats and plague monks I'm gonna have 80 of each. Also have no idea what extra stuff to add like banners and books of woe.

Also figure I'll do one bell, two plague furnaces, 3 warp lightning cannons, a verminlord deciever, corrupter (gonna have two heads), and a warpseer.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The Plague Monk warscroll had more rules on it than some army battle traits, this is probably for the best, and having skaven infantry of all things capable of throwing out 6 powerful attacks per model was not ideal, the new scroll is greatly streamlined to remove some of the jank whilst still making them a solid pick for some close combat punch, I'd call it a success, and it bodes well for the future in that there are a lot of scrolls out there which could do with some revising...

If you're gonna end up with 80 plague monks @Stragint you might as well build 40 with blades and 40 with staffs, neither of them is a poor choice particularly, and you're future-proofed in case the rules change again at some point in the future. For banners and things just read the warscroll, the book of woes is one model per unit, then one standard bearer and one musician per every ten models.

• Options
    The Plague Monk warscroll had more rules on it than some army battle traits, this is probably for the best, and having skaven infantry of all things capable of throwing out 6 powerful attacks per model was not ideal, the new scroll is greatly streamlined to remove some of the jank whilst still making them a solid pick for some close combat punch, I'd call it a success, and it bodes well for the future in that there are a lot of scrolls out there which could do with some revising...

If you're gonna end up with 80 plague monks @Stragint you might as well build 40 with blades and 40 with staffs, neither of them is a poor choice particularly, and you're future-proofed in case the rules change again at some point in the future. For banners and things just read the warscroll, the book of woes is one model per unit, then one standard bearer and one musician per every ten models.

Is there any benefit to running more than one standard bearer and harbinger?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The Slaanesh chariot kit has this weird gimmick where you can combine two of the kits into a larger double chariot, basically, so that's technically 2 kits worth of spinny blades, but it's still very irritating!

The new Plague Monk scroll is up and about now for anyone interested, by the by.

So you’d say it was a little excessive then? :winky:

Because Slaanesh is the god of excess, you see.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

There are very minor benefits; there are a handful of abilities in the game which can snipe specific models out of units, so having multiple adds redundancy in those cases.

Also it means you could potentially use smaller squads in some lists and have the special models for them ready to go.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One of my club members did the math.

You need to have 2 lines of at least 16 to make blades better than staves. So basically if the board is very tight and you can't blob out staves are better because they can fight three rows deep. If you can spread out to 2 lines blades will produce more attacks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    If you can you should generally run plague monks in blocks of 40 due to the way their allegiance ability works.

>20 dudes in a unit gives +1 to hit >30 gives +1 to wound.

Every 10 dudes gives +2 bravery for skaven not +1.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    On the subject of contrast paints I've found them quite handy mixed in with traditional painting techniques, or for touching up bits of a model I've missed, or sometimes you just have to paint 46 separate whirly saw-blade pieces cos the kit designer is a sadist, and highlighting them all properly would be barely noticeable on the finished kit...

My brother makes fun of the people that paint on the sprue I do as well I know for some parts it's ok but the whole model? I have seen the horror of mostly assembled minis on the spure with basic paints

• Options
    I have no idea how you would paint this model off of the sprue to be honest, even putting it together after painting the blades and chassis in sub-assemblies was a nightmare, not to mention the differently textured crew and steeds.

• Options
    I have no idea how you would paint this model off of the sprue to be honest, even putting it together after painting the blades and chassis in sub-assemblies was a nightmare, not to mention the differently textured crew and steeds.

Airbrush and faking it is the only one I can think of

• Options

There are very minor benefits; there are a handful of abilities in the game which can snipe specific models out of units, so having multiple adds redundancy in those cases.

Also it means you could potentially use smaller squads in some lists and have the special models for them ready to go.

Alright, so I'll make two 40 unit squads for foetid blades and foetid blade and staves and then two standard bearers and harbingers in each of those squads with a book of woe in each.

Also, some math people have been doing.

4nnwrbi8z0mz.jpg

• Options
    Why not 4 of each? you can have 1 of each in 10, not a choice of 1 in 10. This allows you more room for error with positioning and removing models.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The only question is does one want to paint that many banners?

Cause I'm bad at banners.

• Options
    The only question is does one want to paint that many banners?

Cause I'm bad at banners.

Be like the robot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcc8BKY911g

• Options
    I don't know the blonde hair they did today might be neat but on a wych elf?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElu2WaHMP4
    Lots and lots of highlights

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    On the subject of contrast paints I've found them quite handy mixed in with traditional painting techniques, or for touching up bits of a model I've missed, or sometimes you just have to paint 46 separate whirly saw-blade pieces cos the kit designer is a sadist, and highlighting them all properly would be barely noticeable on the finished kit...

I mean, it only seems appropriate to hire one to design the Slaaneshi models...

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Speaking of I took the post-FAQ Slaanesh out for a spin today, only small points games (up to 1000) so it's limited data, but I think the nerfs hit the mark more or less, the overall changes to the summoning table even at the less glamorous end of it means you can't expect to have the points you need to summon whatever you want most of the time, which was my previous experience with it. And the change to the Locus means you can't just cruise forwards with multiple Keepers and expect to come out on top with the consistency you need, though I do feel like it could've perhaps been kept to a 4+ for the smaller heroes, but I need to play more games to really see.

• Options
    I have very few seekers and keepers so I just play an invader style army [I have 40 daemonettes so it was rather easy to make up for my lack of other things}
    I just use Azrael as my demon general I could do pretenders but I will try that out when I don't feel the overwhelming doom

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Just realized I get these adorable little rat critters with my plague monks. Gonna have 16 of them. Considering putting them all onto one base.

Specifically 16 of the one in robes with a knife.

thhsb4ijvd1t.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    Green stuff a sleeve

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    One of my club members did the math.

You need to have 2 lines of at least 16 to make blades better than staves. So basically if the board is very tight and you can't blob out staves are better because they can fight three rows deep. If you can spread out to 2 lines blades will produce more attacks.
    Just realized I get these adorable little rat critters with my plague monks. Gonna have 16 of them. Considering putting them all onto one base.

Specifically 16 of the one in robes with a knife.

thhsb4ijvd1t.jpg

Are rat swarms still a thing? That’s what they were for in oldhammer.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    I wish Death had cute little guys like Nurglings or ratties to put on bases. All I got is piles of skulls :(

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Maybe when everyone has endless spells, we can get a homunculi expansion with models for every faction

• Options
    edited December 2019
    For the extra little rats I stuck a bunch onto my verminlord base for scale and humor. Since I was allying in nurgle to the army/skirmish, I stuck a bunch of the little rats onto 1 base to use as a proxy nurglings. I think ratswarms are still a unit, dont know if they are any good or useful tough.

Sorry, bad picture
    HDmo7ao.jpg

You can make some really nice objective markers out of whatever warmachine you don't build as well:

Lw7yCmq.jpg
    That's a rat ogre converted to be a wrathmonger(khorne) for the old style skirmish. The pestilens boxes are really kit bashable in a great way.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't the skaven book actually removed any units (with the exception of the weapons team only available on the Island of Blood sprues) so you could stick them on a base as a rat swarm, but I've never seen anyone actually using rat swarms so I'm assuming they're probably not that hot. Sticking 8 on single 25 mm bases would be perfectly fine objective markers though!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So cute. it's a more proactive Death of Rats.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

EEK SQUEEK

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

EEK SQUEEK

v1mcatr7bqhz.png

• Options
    Do 500 point games work in AoS? My two friends split the bonereapers and ogre box and that is all they have.

Also, are there any models in the battleforce that benefit a lot from sub assembly?

• Options
    Do 500 point games work in AoS? My two friends split the bonereapers and ogre box and that is all they have.

Also, are there any models in the battleforce that benefit a lot from sub assembly?

Yes one of the things in Aos you can play tiny games.

The Skaven one? I would say whatever you built the bell as and the verminlord

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Its a crime that the IoB Rat Ogres never came out separately.
    They were such awesome sculpts

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Cool, my friends and I are planning a build and paint night after Christmas so I'm hoping we can throw down with a small game of AoS soon.

I feel like I should sub assemble my plague monks and clanrats. I wanna make sure I get good coverage all of but I feel that will make it take so much longer.

• Options

Cool, my friends and I are planning a build and paint night after Christmas so I'm hoping we can throw down with a small game of AoS soon.

I feel like I should sub assemble my plague monks and clanrats. I wanna make sure I get good coverage all of but I feel that will make it take so much longer.

You will drive yourself crazy thinking about painting all those clanrats and monks a basic paint is good enough

• Options
    edited December 2019

You will drive yourself crazy thinking about painting all those clanrats and monks a basic paint is good enough

Yea, I don't plan on going too crazy. The current plan is priming with corax white, using an airbrush to paint a fluorescent orange, and then touching up any fur, skin, or detail bits with corax white and then using contrast for skin and fur and then paint up the metal and other details.

I don't plan on going super detailed on them but I do have a vision and I can probably pull it off with them fully built still.

I'm kind of excited to build the two plague furnaces and the screaming bell since I'm gonna have 3 battle forces. The verminlords too.

The verminlord I can summon with a screaming bell is a reserve model, right?

If I run a pure Pestilens list I can't run the warp lightning cannons, right?

Stragint on

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Its a crime that the IoB Rat Ogres never came out separately.
    They were such awesome sculpts

That was back before GW learned the "We should be designing our starter boxes so that each side is on it's own individual set of sprues, and special characters should be on their own dedicated sprue instead of just lumping all of the models in together, this way we can sell them in smaller kits later on" lesson, which is the same reason we never got the AoBR Deffkoptas in 40k.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    I have wanted to do a skaven army for years {just I knew of only one person that played Warhammer back in the day}
    I just have the old Queek, a grey seer and a rat orge
    m76kjuqi88k6.png
    Just the thought of painting all the rats were very off putting for me {as well as the price but that's a different story}

This discussion has been closed.