As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Man, the game play is fun and all but what really makes me hyped about this game is the characters. Most roguelikes basically don't have a story that goes beyond the conceit for the setup. But not only is the roguelike-ness used to drive the narrative but all the characters are super interesting. I basically always end in the weapon room because checking for new conversations in the House is way more important to me than whatever happened in the run I just did.

And all the gods are just fucking perfect. You see them and hear them and just go "yup, that is Hermes".

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    So the one weapon I have not been able to escape with is the spear. My last run I had the aspect that makes you move to the spear with the special and Artemis boon for my special that I thought would be good but it just feels like all the spear's attacks stick you in place too long and in late stage rooms and against bosses standing still means you die.

Any advice on what I should be trying to do with the spear?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    All of my best runs with the spear have involved the Daedalus upgrade that massively increases your basic attack speed, coupled with anything that you can stack on top of it that triggers on attack. If you can then also grab the other Daedalus upgrade that extends your basic attack range and increases damage at max range you can just stand as far away from all of the enemies as possible and machinegun them down.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    I'm quite fond of the bigger spin attack + faster spin attack hammer upgrades, along with an Artemis boon on the main attack for big crits (and as many other artemis boons as you can find for good measure). I tend to dash to trigger the spin attack to maintain mobility.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I got out finally with the sword. It was nuts how hard I hit. My backstabs were like 320 and I had near constant crits. Always had the bonus damage from two effects from poison and doom.

Just fantastic. I am shaking from the rush.

The music shift in the final boss fight is so good

I ate an engineer
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    My first and only win so far was with the spear actually! I got the upgrade for the spear that increased crit chance massively on the recall of the special and the stars aligned and I ended up with essentially 100% chance to crit on that hit, which is almost always a backstab, plus a bunch of massive crit damage multipliers and special attack multipliers. Another really nice upgrade was the 400% damage increase to armor so I could get to stunlocking some of the more annoying enemies nearly instantly, it made things that usually slowly end runs like the annoying medusa things in the final area into a breeze.

With the range+speed upgrade you can get for titan blood I was able to snipe things from off screen pretty casually and it made a lot of the really challenging fights easy. I ended up coming into the final battle with full life and all my second chance saves intact. I still only won with like 30 hp left though.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So is this game basically just Bastion combat but also a roguelike?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So is this game basically just Bastion combat but also a roguelike?

It's similar to Bastion with some important differences. Instead of having two weapons equipped, you get one weapon per run, and each weapon has multiple traits that change and improve as you pick up perks mid- run. Instead of the roll from Bastion, there's a dash that can be upgraded to be an attack and you also get a generic projectile that regenerates on kills or if you wait long enough.

Or to be less picky, yes it's what you said pretty much exactly.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Bastion never felt particularly good to play to me. It looked and sounded great and I loved the atmosphere, but it wasn't very enjoyable in terms of how playing it felt.

In that respect, Hades is like Bastion's combat, just done much better.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the thesus and minotaur fight i think is going to make me quit this game. i've died to it probably 5+ times and have had literally no improvement whatsoever. i also lost 400 hp to just the minotaur when i ran into him in an earlier room once. it's just too much for me to focus on, and half the attacks i feel are just unfair and not fun.

shame because i like hades but this just ruins my experience every time.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Well that was an...ending.

I will now not touch the game until it's complete.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the thesus and minotaur fight i think is going to make me quit this game. i've died to it probably 5+ times and have had literally no improvement whatsoever. i also lost 400 hp to just the minotaur when i ran into him in an earlier room once. it's just too much for me to focus on, and half the attacks i feel are just unfair and not fun.

It's a pretty hard check, sure, but as you get used to the game it gets easier - especially as you get more lives and starting health. Movement is absolutely key, particularly getting used to dealing with the minotaur's charge and always keeping alert for theseus throwing the spear at you. I'm really not fond of weapons like the bow on this fight for that reason. Probably best to work them both down a bit as they get a major boost once one goes down. My favoured strategy is mostly just running from the mino and doing a bit of hit and run on theseus as I pass.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The pillars in the arena also block Theseus's spear throw so you can also kind of pillar hump while fighting Asterios and Theseus becomes more or less a nonfactor until you get Asterios down as long as you're far enough from Theseus he only does his spear throw and nothing else. Asterios can be pretty nasty with his wide swings but if you constantly switch which side of him you're on you can generally dodge the start of his attack chains if you're using melee weapons. If ranged then you just keep distance but dash towards Asterios's original position if he leap attacks you.

Orphane on
    altid wrote: »

It's a pretty hard check, sure, but as you get used to the game it gets easier - especially as you get more lives and starting health. Movement is absolutely key, particularly getting used to dealing with the minotaur's charge and always keeping alert for theseus throwing the spear at you. I'm really not fond of weapons like the bow on this fight for that reason. Probably best to work them both down a bit as they get a major boost once one goes down. My favoured strategy is mostly just running from the mino and doing a bit of hit and run on theseus as I pass.

You should just kill Asterios because the worst case is having to deal with Thesues's god call while Asterios is still on your ass. So just kill the bull and then you can basically easily evade Thesues while chipping away at him.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

If you can get the minotaur alone, take the chance to learn his patterns. He's got a few simple combo strings, and if you bring the shield you can just block most of them.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Glazius wrote: »

If you can get the minotaur alone, take the chance to learn his patterns. He's got a few simple combo strings, and if you bring the shield you can just block most of them.

his combos aren't so bad, but i have no idea how to stop the charge, and it hits for 25 damage.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Glazius wrote: »

his combos aren't so bad, but i have no idea how to stop the charge, and it hits for 25 damage.

Dash through a pillar. Sometimes he clips one or a wall if you just dash near them but the way to guarantee it is to get him behind you and then dash straight through one.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Theseus' spear toss shares the warning VFX/SFX and timing of the ranged dudes earlier in Elysium -- so you actually have a long time to get ready to dodge, once you know the sound and feel of it, even though the spear itself travels real fast.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    So holy shit, if you think the Hydra fight is hard try the Extreme Measures version that is the same but on a set of tiny fucking islands.

• KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    I got my second win this week. Again with the spear. It was on heat+1 too! I picked the +20% more enemies modifier.

I've been doing runs where I always pick an option I haven't done before, if any are available.

Somehow I put together a half decent build with the spear upgrade that removes charging but lets you attack much quicker, the attack range increase thing, and a couple other nifty upgrades. Ended up getting lucky in the final section and again came into the final fight with full health and all my revives. I was doing so much damage that halfway through the final fight I basically stopped dodging because I had all my revives left and could just soak the damage.

This game is neat!

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    On my 2nd win as well, first run with the gun as well, thought the gun was real weak to start, then you get a couple upgrades that can really switch it up, rocket special and Artemis arrows on attack made quick work of everything

PSN SeGaTai
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So for clarity’s sake, between the sale price and the coupon I can get this on EGS for $10?

Edit: silly question is silly. A few runs in and now I have the bow, with two hp upgrades, weakening special attack, a dash that splashes and knocks back, and a passive that ruptures on knockback. This is really cool!

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm still bouncing off Theseus and the minotaur, but do not mind at all because I'm having a blast.

And oh my god the voice work in this game is incredible.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    This feels real good thus far and I'm still barely into it.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I have put a downright embarrassing amount of time into this game and aside from room-to-room stuff (like Zagreus' comments on loot) I don't think I've heard a repeated line of dialogue yet. And so much of the dialogue is situational (current favorite: limped in to a boss fight with a handful of HP remaining and he was offended that I'd insulted him by showing up in such pitiful condition).

I can't wrap my head around the work that went into setting all that up.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I have put a downright embarrassing amount of time into this game and aside from room-to-room stuff (like Zagreus' comments on loot) I don't think I've heard a repeated line of dialogue yet. And so much of the dialogue is situational (current favorite: limped in to a boss fight with a handful of HP remaining and he was offended that I'd insulted him by showing up in such pitiful condition).

I can't wrap my head around the work that went into setting all that up.

I have to ask - did you play Bastion ever?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I didn't expect that run to go anywhere especially when I burn't a Death Defiance on Alecto but attempt number 18 was the run. Ended up with the sword with a crap load of +crit (Artemis Mark + 20% special Crit + Aspect with plus crit after special), some good defensive buffs, Athena's backstab status and alot of festive fog helped by auto recalling my casts. Bit grumpy with Thanatos, first run he shows up I make it out and he still chews me out for not making it. Not my fault the game is over if I actually leave Than.

With the Pact of Punishment. I get that upping the heat means more bounties, but my new run is a shield run, which I've only got the first two rewards for. So if I clear Elysium with 1 heat does that mean I get two rewards or does it only count as the zero heat bounty?

Road Block on
    I think I’m at 20 runs, I forgot to check the exact number but Dionysus was teasing about 20 attempts. I’ve been alternating weapons based on the darkness buff, which I think is a pretty cool design choice.

That particular run I had the gun (that I can never remember the name of and wasn’t too impressed with). Ended up going the furthest ever with it (surface) due to unlimited ammo, poison on attack, doom on special, and some good damage reduction elsewhere.

Road Block wrote: »
    I didn't expect that run to go anywhere especially when I burn't a Death Defiance on Alecto but attempt number 18 was the run. Ended up with the sword with a crap load of +crit (Artemis Mark + 20% special Crit + Aspect with plus crit after special), some good defensive buffs, Athena's backstab status and alot of festive fog helped by auto recalling my casts. Bit grumpy with Thanatos, first run he shows up I make it out and he still chews me out for not making it. Not my fault the game is over if I actually leave Than.

With the Pact of Punishment. I get that upping the heat means more bounties, but my new run is a shield run, which I've only got the first two rewards for. So if I clear Elysium with 1 heat does that mean I get two rewards or does it only count as the zero heat bounty?

You still want to finish out a heatless run with all the weapons before you start doing Pact because each set of bounties including 0 heat is distinct from one another

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Orphane wrote: »

You still want to finish out a heatless run with all the weapons before you start doing Pact because each set of bounties including 0 heat is distinct from one another

You can't actually lose out on bounties that way. If your heat requirement is one or something, and instead you decide to set your heat to five, you'll gain the one heat rewards. Then the rewards will bump up to two heat but you can still run the same five heat setup and get the two heat rewards. Once you actually complete the five heat run on five heat though you'll have to start bumping it up again.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas

You can't actually lose out on bounties that way. If your heat requirement is one or something, and instead you decide to set your heat to five, you'll gain the one heat rewards. Then the rewards will bump up to two heat but you can still run the same five heat setup and get the two heat rewards. Once you actually complete the five heat run on five heat though you'll have to start bumping it up again.

It actually doesn't work this way for zero heat from my experience.

edited January 2020

yeah, but there's no real incentive to do that unless you desperately want the extra challenge gates or to practice, i guess? if you're just after the bounties why make things harder for yourself

Orphane on
    This game is definitely one where "one more room" can swiftly devolve into "one more run" and suddenly it's 3am.

Ah well it was fun. Exclusive Access at the start of Asphodel leads to some hilariously powerful combos.

Victory! (Aegis on 23rd run)
    The dialog in this is so good!!

Athena/Patroclus completely saved my run. I need to get better at avoiding damage in melee... but I had decent power: double hit attacks from Daedalus, lvl4 Divine Strike, some other 40% attack boon, and Dionysus’ aid.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    First escape! Aegis run 22 or 23, this game is amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I'm having a really easy time getting to Eysium now, but I've hit a major wall there. I have so much more trouble reading enemy attacks and reacting to them in this area, and by the time I get to the boss I'm on my last life with half health and can't get past the halfway point of that fight. Hopefully I have a breakthrough soon, or I'm gonna end up burning out on the game before I'd like to.

I'm having a really easy time getting to Eysium now, but I've hit a major wall there. I have so much more trouble reading enemy attacks and reacting to them in this area, and by the time I get to the boss I'm on my last life with half health and can't get past the halfway point of that fight. Hopefully I have a breakthrough soon, or I'm gonna end up burning out on the game before I'd like to.

I try to stay as far away from the word and spear guys as possible. Their reach is way longer than it feels like it should be. So I just constantly spam attacks and dodge instead of trying to react. But I mostly use the Rail.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I try to stay as far away from the word and spear guys as possible. Their reach is way longer than it feels like it should be. So I just constantly spam attacks and dodge instead of trying to react. But I mostly use the Rail.

I made it to the last boss on my next run after this post, using the Rail. :lol: He didn't seem too bad, so I think I have a decent shot at him if I can get there with just a bit more health.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Patrocles is your friend in Elysium, if you see a question mark door grab it!

steam_sig.png
    stopgap wrote: »
    Patrocles is your friend in Elysium, if you see a question mark door grab it!

He's good, but if I have full death defiance's and aren't on the verge of death I'll skip him for a boon or hammer.