As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    A round trip on Amtrak from RVA to DC was $80 for me on Thanksgiving, wasn't a bad ride and a plane ticket would've been like three to four times as much

Low delays too

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    that's cheaper than the last time i looked and apparently jet blue doesn't puddle jump anymore so i guess that criticism is out of date heh

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, makes more since to go north. Will probably see a quicker return on investment that way, assuming one looks at more than just the dollar sign.

At some point you'd want something that goes south, but until the states along that path get people with better sense, it's not worth the effort; especially, when one going north to DC would make more sense. Hell, before even considering Atlanta, cover DC and then probably go for the Hampton Roads area and possible the Research Triangle in NC (assuming the idiot republicans don't strangle it to death before getting the DC and Hampton Roads stuff done). Not sure high speed would even make commuting to Atlanta for work from VA viable. If you ever get it in state or to DC, it total would.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, makes more since to go north. Will probably see a quicker return on investment that way, assuming one looks at more than just the dollar sign.

At some point you'd want something that goes south, but until the states along that path get people with better sense, it's not worth the effort; especially, when one going north to DC would make more sense. Hell, before even considering Atlanta, cover DC and then probably go for the Hampton Roads area and possible the Research Triangle in NC (assuming the idiot republicans don't strangle it to death before getting the DC and Hampton Roads stuff done). Not sure high speed would even make commuting to Atlanta for work from VA viable. If you ever get it in state or to DC, it total would.

The fact that we don't have an extensive amount of high speed rail running from at least Florida to Boston is so asinine.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

The fact that we don't have an extensive amount of high speed rail running from at least Florida to Boston is so asinine.

With a spur to Chicago, starting in Pennsylvania, or possibly Maryland.

Also, LA to SanFran, but that's something that California can and probably should do by itself.

With the East Coast, it's going through at least 9 states, and at least another 3 with the MidWest spur, so it'd require some Federal backing. Because 9-12 states cooperating together usually only happens when something heinous is afoot.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    MorganV wrote: »

Also, LA to SanFran, but that's something that California can and probably should do by itself.

With the East Coast, it's going through at least 9 states, and at least another 3 with the MidWest spur, so it'd require some Federal backing. Because 9-12 states cooperating together usually only happens when something heinous is afoot.

California is literally doing that. (Poorly) Texas and Florida also have private companies attempting some. A high speed rail link from DC to Atlanta makes sense, but it is definitely the kind of thing that requires Federal intervention same as the highways. Unfortunately Republicans hate trains, for whatever reason, so it won't happen. Improving regional rail is still definitely worthwhile. Especially if they electrify the line.

moniker on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

For a West running line to Chicago you'd probably want something that roughly shadowed interstate 80 as that would take you from the NYC metro area through PA towards Chicago and put you in spitting distance of Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit as well as Chicago

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

California is literally doing that. (Poorly) Texas and Florida also have private companies attempting some. A high speed rail link from DC to Atlanta makes sense, but it is definitely the kind of thing that requires Federal intervention same as the highways. Unfortunately Republicans hate trains, for whatever reason, so it won't happen. Improving regional rail is still definitely worthwhile. Especially if they electrify the line.

Pure culture war.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Chanus wrote: »
    that's cheaper than the last time i looked and apparently jet blue doesn't puddle jump anymore so i guess that criticism is out of date heh

RVA just got the station this year or last, its generally around 60-80 to get to DC which is neat. I haven't been on it yet but plan to sometime soon. The big thing is that it goes from RVA to lynchburg real cheap but last I checked they didnt do any kind of commuter deals making it completely unusable for regular transit.

edit: rva is richmond? I meant roanoke, whoops.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Two Virginia Democrats want to replace Lee statue in U.S. Capitol

I always forget this is there. Damn Virginia. Fuck Lee. Damn traitor.

I like Nat Turner. I can't think of a bigger fuck you to slavery and racist history than the leader of one of the largest slave uprising getting a statue in the US Capital. Better than the man who led to the deaths of thousands of Americans.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Lee can be on there if it's Turner and John Brown holding his severed head.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I like Nat Turner. I can't think of a bigger fuck you to slavery and racist history than the leader of one of the largest slave uprising getting a statue in the US Capital. Better than the man who led to the deaths of thousands of Americans.

Hey now, give Lee some credit.

Millions of Americans.

Taramoor on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    worth mentioning that we just got Kehinde Wiley's Rumors of War installed at the vmfa the other week

uc3ufTB.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I would have preferred a historical black person, but I really, really hate that he's wearing Nikes.

Coinage wrote: »
    I would have preferred a historical black person, but I really, really hate that he's wearing Nikes.

Yeah, the easiest response to "you're erasing history!" is replacing it with a statue of Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglas, Ida Wells &c. They're history too.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Yeah, the easiest response to "you're erasing history!" is replacing it with a statue of Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglas, Ida Wells &c. They're history too.

History? Don't you mean current events?

I heard Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is getting recognized more and more, I notice.
    Just your hourly reminder that beyond the corruption and pettiness, the President is also profoundly stupid, and will also never admit a mistake, no matter how benign.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

In kind of amusing irony, IIRC, Lee had some scathing comments about statues of military figures.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

oh i definitely think some black richmonders should join arthur ashe on monument, but that's not really the point of wiley's piece here, or characteristic of his body of work

uc3ufTB.png
    Democrats look to history as Virginia’s General Assembly opens its session

So the GA opened this week. And it is a historic GA with a Jewish woman as the speaker. The real test begins now as the Dems have all the levers of power. The goals are really big too.

This is from the article:
    Northam's list of policy goals was exhaustive for a legislative session of only 60 days. He called for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution; criminal-justice reform, including decriminalization of marijuana; increasing the minimum wage; making community college tuition-free for low- and moderate-income residents; big spending on environmental programs and early-childhood education; and more.

Beyond that this is a really historic state legislator for VA.
    Among the new members were the state’s first two Indian American lawmakers and its first Muslim senator. Both chambers gaveled in with record numbers of women, who now make up about 30 percent of the legislature — 29 in the 100-member House and 11 in the 40-seat Senate.

Most of the women are Democrats, although their numbers grew in both parties. In the House, 25 of the women are Democrats, and four are Republicans; in the Senate, seven are Democrats, with four Republicans. Women make up 45 percent of the Democratic Caucus in the House and 33 percent in Senate.

And my little happiness is in Northam's budget is the end of the yearly inspections of cars. Its BS. I come from the West, we don't do that. It is just a hassle and a racket. And doesn't make the cars on the road really any safer.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Eh. I think I had to do something to pass inspection with my beater every year for 10 years straight, and usually it was things like "brake light out". I trust my mechanic enough that I don't think it was them scamming me. It's not entirely worthless.

eta: the impetus to replace the car was failing the inspection hard enough that it was going to cost thousands of dollars to fix (rack and pinion was about to rust out)

Fry on
  • PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular

So the GA opened this week. And it is a historic GA with a Jewish woman as the speaker. The real test begins now as the Dems have all the levers of power. The goals are really big too.

Northam's list of policy goals was exhaustive for a legislative session of only 60 days. He called for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution; criminal-justice reform, including decriminalization of marijuana; increasing the minimum wage; making community college tuition-free for low- and moderate-income residents; big spending on environmental programs and early-childhood education; and more.

Among the new members were the state’s first two Indian American lawmakers and its first Muslim senator. Both chambers gaveled in with record numbers of women, who now make up about 30 percent of the legislature — 29 in the 100-member House and 11 in the 40-seat Senate.

Most of the women are Democrats, although their numbers grew in both parties. In the House, 25 of the women are Democrats, and four are Republicans; in the Senate, seven are Democrats, with four Republicans. Women make up 45 percent of the Democratic Caucus in the House and 33 percent in Senate.

And my little happiness is in Northam's budget is the end of the yearly inspections of cars. Its BS. I come from the West, we don't do that. It is just a hassle and a racket. And doesn't make the cars on the road really any safer.

I'm split on this one. Having gone the other way, from VA to the west, some of the stuff you see on the road here is straight up terrifying. Cars with no bumpers whatsoever, just exposed frame. Trucks with bits that look like they'll fall off at any moment. Campers that are quite literally falling apart but still being driven.

On the other hand, having paid for those yearly inspections for 10+ years, I don't miss having to set up an appointment and pay for the inspection and whatever subsequent minor fixes were necessary.

What are VA's registration renewal fees like these days? Pretty sure I paid almost $200 this year out here.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

I'm split on this one. Having gone the other way, from VA to the west, some of the stuff you see on the road here is straight up terrifying. Cars with no bumpers whatsoever, just exposed frame. Trucks with bits that look like they'll fall off at any moment. Campers that are quite literally falling apart but still being driven.

On the other hand, having paid for those yearly inspections for 10+ years, I don't miss having to set up an appointment and pay for the inspection and whatever subsequent minor fixes were necessary.

What are VA's registration renewal fees like these days? Pretty sure I paid almost $200 this year out here.

My 11 year old civic was $41 for the registration and I live in NoVA so $28 for the emission's inspection.

Which there is my other thing. Emission inspections should be a requirement state wide not just up North. And should be mandatory. And should be pretty tight overall.

I am also currently dealing with the DMV seemingly unable to mail me things now after mailing me stuff with no problems for 3 years as my new tags haven't appeared and calling them has done nothing. Luckily I am in the Pentagon pretty regularly and I am just going to go there for my tags since it never has a line.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the state inspection isn't bad, it's just inconvenient

i don't know that i support getting rid of it for any reason other than i find it annoying to get done once a year

being a licensed state inspector is a pretty good gig for a person whose career is automotive repair

I have to wonder if maybe the better fix would be to have something that didn't make it once a year for every vehicle.

I have a 2016 Hyundai Accent that doesn't get driven much. It doesn't need to be inspected every year. In this aspect, I agree with the assertion that it is sort of a racket because it's incredibly unlikely for my car to have an issues. I'd rather see inspections setup so that one needs to do it when they first buy a vehicle (good way to also discourage illegal vehicle sales). Then make it a few years if a vehicles meets all the following criteria: is under a certain age, hasn't suffered serious damage and is also under a certain mileage. I know that this unfortunately falls on people with lower income because they are likely the ones that will have the older vehicles, the vehicles with high mileage or bought/still have the car that got badly damaged, but not totaled. Thing is, if I were to check a vehicle yearly it would be the really old cars, high mileage cars and ones that have had extensive repairs because those are the ones that are likely to develop an issue that can pose a threat both to the driver and anyone around said vehicle. Like my 1996 Hyundai Accent totally qualified under the idea of "should be inspected yearly" the day my parents bought it off a used car lot because it had been in a major accident and often had issues.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I honestly don't really see much reason to not have the annual inspection - pretty much the only reason I can think of is if you're a gearhead who does all your own maintenance anyways, and you're pissed at having to go into the shop for this one thing. But I suspect that's a small minority of people, and most of the cars on the road could probably really use that 'make sure you're not a danger to yourself and everyone around you' check.

Assuming reasonable care & no accidents, there is a point under a certain mileage and age, where nothing is going to happen. Hell, there is also a point under unreasonable care that is longer than a year, where a new vehicle just isn't going to have the issue crop up that makes them a risk. A yearly inspection makes zero sense for a sizable number of vehicles. The inspector isn't going to find anything because the vehicles hasn't seen enough use or is old enough for stuff to start failing.

IMO the yearly inspection cost probably results in people holding onto older vehciles longer than they should. After all they see that 40 dollar a year fee and will feel it's absolutely wasted on a brand new vehicle, where with an older one, the fee is seen a legitimate expense.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    I honestly don't really see much reason to not have the annual inspection - pretty much the only reason I can think of is if you're a gearhead who does all your own maintenance anyways, and you're pissed at having to go into the shop for this one thing. But I suspect that's a small minority of people, and most of the cars on the road could probably really use that 'make sure you're not a danger to yourself and everyone around you' check.

Where I am at, they make it pretty inconvenient to get inspected no matter where I go. It always sounded like it was because of the fixed charge for it. they get cert'ed to do them just to bring in extra cars to find other issues, and people expect it to take very short time and not leave it for long. Always first come first serve, and if you aren't like first in line at opening, it 'probably wont happen that day'.

I'll be having an oil change done, ask if they can go ahead and do the inspection, and be told I have to get to the back of the line after the oil change is done and it will add several hours wait. Could be something about how the business is done that I dont understand, but I feel like I get pretty clear messaging when I ask for an inspection of "Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine we'ill do it".

I think its something that needs to get done, but when I read the checklist it all seems pretty bare bones to pass, and probably doesn't need to be yearly...

steam_sig.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Vehicle inspections just sound dumb. If your car's engine is about to blow up or something then the maintenance light turns on. If you don't have working headlights, brake lights, or are holding your rear bumper on with zip ties and duct tape then you are just going to get pulled over by every cop that sees that stuff cause that is an easy ticket.

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Vehicle inspections just sound dumb. If your car's engine is about to blow up or something then the maintenance light turns on. If you don't have working headlights, brake lights, or are holding your rear bumper on with zip ties and duct tape then you are just going to get pulled over by every cop that sees that stuff cause that is an easy ticket.

well there's also stuff like tie rods that might not be caught otherwise before your tire goes flying off the car when you hit a pothole

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

The point of the inspection is for you to demonstrate that your car is street legal. And not every problem is going to be visible, like emissions.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    i think only nova tests emissions

other than glaring stuff like a hole in your exhaust manifold

This is one thing that bugs me. Emission tests should be state wide.

u7stthr17eud.png

why do you hate freedom mazz

I come from a more libertarian state and our emission tests are more severe and state wide.

Fuck yo freedom. Let me breath!

u7stthr17eud.png
    Well the bigger issue is how all the shitty auto dealers and mechanics make the whole inspection process a time consuming slog. They are too damn cheap to have more than the bare minimum personnel that can do the job and whoever they have for that shift is also tasked with other things. They know they can get away with that shit because people have to get the safety inspection. Problem is that really fucks over people that are struggling to get by. The person with the job that provides paid time off, can take the time off to deal with that shit (doesn't make it any less bullshit). The person working 2-3 shitty part time jobs that don't give paid time off, well it might be an issue because taking time off because of the bullshit from auto dealers and mechanics means they might have to skip a meal or miss a bill. Also no doubt the companies involved would scream bloody murder if they were told that legally they have to have more than one certified person each shift, and that those people were to work solely on inspections.

I come from a more libertarian state and our emission tests are more severe and state wide.

Fuck yo freedom. Let me breath!

The freedom of your lungs end where my tailpipe begins?

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

The point of the inspection is for you to demonstrate that your car is street legal. And not every problem is going to be visible, like emissions.

Places don't do emission tests?

steam_sig.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never had to do an emissions test before moving to CA.

Jragghen wrote: »

It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

It's a regular thing in Illinois after your car passes a certain age. That's it, though, not roadworthiness. Though I'm sure they'll point out anything blatantly obvious like a broke taillight.

Yeah, same here - when I first arrived in the state, I had to get a full inspection and an emissions test. I think it's every other year after 10 years, and I'm sure at some point it'll go to every year.

Of course, we're driving the ICE rarely enough at this point that I might be getting close to "not in active use" which would waive it.

In VA news, expect the NRA to start bitching because the legislature is headnodding towards gun control.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/01/10/virginia-lawmakers-set-vote-capitol-gun-ban/
    Virginia lawmakers have voted to ban firearms at the state Capitol, the first in what's expected to be many contentious gun votes in coming weeks.

Newly empowered Democrats in the General Assembly voted Friday to ban guns at the Capitol and a legislative office building, saying the move was needed to protect public safety.

Republicans have voiced opposition to such a ban and some GOP lawmakers routinely carry guns into the Capitol.