As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DAoC And my Computer

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Dark Age of Camelot, (DAoC) has been one of my favorite MMORPGs of all time and when I reinstalled it on my new rig, I continue to have it crash. I don't know why. It seems to happen more when I have my mic plugged into my soundcard which has the only working port but I just had it crash on me when having just ventrilo open, and when I restarted the game with ventrilo closed, it crashed again. It doesnt happen too often, but it does, and I do not like it. Is there anyway to find out what is causing this?

EDIT: Here's a bit more info. I have brought up the in game Ping/lag-o-meter, and its showing that the problem isnt lag based. I do have AVG firewall up along with windows firewall, but on my previous computer, these weren't a problem. Some programs I have running in the icon tray are Avg, fraps, sound drivers, and realtek sound drivers (default, not from my sound card, I should probably remove these). I should also note that I am running Windows XP SP2 with all of the newest updates, and have an eVGA 7600gt with some updated drivers. Thing is, when the game crashes, the UI move inwards several inches to the top left corner, as if it was being played at a 1024x768 resolution, which I have set it to 1200x1024. Could it be the GPU? Im getting 60fps+ normally. Any ideas?

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    CatcherCatcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dark Age of Camelot, (DAoC) has been one of my favorite MMORPGs of all time and when I reinstalled it on my new rig, I continue to have it crash. I don't know why. It seems to happen more when I have my mic plugged into my soundcard which has the only working port but I just had it crash on me when having just ventrilo open, and when I restarted the game with ventrilo closed, it crashed again. It doesnt happen too often, but it does, and I do not like it. Is there anyway to find out what is causing this?

EDIT: Here's a bit more info. I have brought up the in game Ping/lag-o-meter, and its showing that the problem isnt lag based. I do have AVG firewall up along with windows firewall, but on my previous computer, these weren't a problem. Some programs I have running in the icon tray are Avg, fraps, sound drivers, and realtek sound drivers (default, not from my sound card, I should probably remove these). I should also note that I am running Windows XP SP2 with all of the newest updates, and have an eVGA 7600gt with some updated drivers. Thing is, when the game crashes, the UI move inwards several inches to the top left corner, as if it was being played at a 1024x768 resolution, which I have set it to 1200x1024. Could it be the GPU? Im getting 60fps+ normally. Any ideas?

None whatsosever.

Catcher on
    When the Journeyman testifies a fateless man believes. He can send you into paradise or bring you to your knees.
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Awesome. :^:

Any ideas as to how to try and isolate the issue?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    CatcherCatcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Come to think of it, it sounds to me like a router problem, it must not be liking the port that Ventrillo is using, because when I played Dark Age of Camelot with Ventrillo, it crashed a lot for me, but I messed around with port forwarding and I finally for it work without using Windows Firewall which is worthless anyway. Also, try not to have any other apps running that mess with your router; i.e. torrents, mIRC, web browsers or messengering programs.

Catcher on
    When the Journeyman testifies a fateless man believes. He can send you into paradise or bring you to your knees.