As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah that's exactly how I feel. If they had come out with this, and like the extra munitions packs, 18 months ago? I would have been over the moon. This was everything people were saying they wanted. But, the last X-wing stuff I got was literally a year ago for LAST christmas... and I haven't even thought about putting together a 2nd ed list since the full rules came out.

DO3O00C.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So yesterday they also had a live stream where they showed off the Fireball, Vonreg's TIE, and some of the Hotshots and Aces cards. Stolen from reddit:
    Kazuda Xiong (Fireball), init 4 - While you defend or perform a primary attack, if the enemy ship's initiative is higher than the number of damage cards you have, you may roll 1 additional dice

"Holo" (TIE/BA), init 5 - At the start of the engagement phase you must transfer 1 of your tokens to another friendly ship at range 0-2.

"Rush" (Silencer), init 2 - While you are damaged, treat your initiative as 6.

Captain Phasma (TIE/SF), init 4 - While you defend, after the neutralize results step, another friendly ship at range 0-1 must suffer one (regular or crit) damage to cancel one matching result.

Zizi Tlo (RZ-2), init 5, 1 regenerating energy - After you defend or perform and attack, you may spend one energy to gain 1 focus or evade token

Ronith Blario (RZ-2), init 2 - While you defend or perform an attack, if the enemy ship is in another friendly ships turret arc, you may spend 1 focus token from that friendly ship to change one of your eyeball results to an evade or damage result.

R1-J5, resistance only astromech, 3 energy - While you have 2 or fewer stress tokens, you can perform actions on damage cards even while stressed. After you repair a damage card with the ship trait, you may spend one energy to repair that card again.

Stabilized S-Foils (open) (B-wing) - After you perform an attack, you may spend your target lock on the defender to perform a bonus cannon attach against that ship using a cannon upgrade you have not attacked with this turn. Before you activate, if you are not critically damaged you may flip this card.

grants white roll into red target lock action.

Stabilized S-Foils (closed) (B-wing) - Before you activate, if you are not critically damaged you may flip this card.

grants red reload action, grants white roll into red evade action

Depletion Token - Red token reduces your red dice by one when you attack. (I didn't hear how you remove it, some people are saying the same as strain is removed, which makes sense)

My thoughts? Kaz seems like a decent value ship. Assuming Finn gets nerfed with points, he will continue in the long line of cheap dumpy Resistance ships that are stapled to every list like L'ulo or Finn.

Holo seems really strong. Aside from the obvious "get rid of my strain/deplete" you can also: Transfer a focus you can't use use. Move a target lock off you onto someone else not in arc.

Rush is interesting. You're giving up half points to hulk out. Fanatical an auto include assuming he's got an EPT.

Phasma: Lots of interesting synergy here. Tavson is obvious, just makes Phasma a really fat SF. I'm not sure if that's worth it, Phasma has to fly pretty close to the lumbering shuttle for her ability to trigger and you could just avoid or get around it and a large amount of your list is in trouble. Could pair with Quickdraw for extra hits, but QD doesn't need help getting shot at. I'm thinking run a FO swarm with Fanatical and Optics, move the Phasma damage to activate them and then you have a 93% chance of two hits.

Zizi seems crazy good. Feels like you would want minimal to no bid so you could have the evade for defense. Seems like a guaranteed high cost ship. Obvious synergy with Ronith, who is a decent roleplayer if cheap. Just turns the unused focuses on your higher initiative A-Wings into networked calculates? Excellent synergy with Optics which the A-Wings take anyways.

The droid should be cheap, I'm not incredibly excited about it thus far.

Foils seem both good AND fun. I'm hoping they temper the cost with the thought that you also have to spend points on the cannons to get mileage. B-Wings also have two cannon slots and the card says "an attack" so you could take the free jam to strip tokens and follow up with an ion cannon, or torpedo into cannons.

Gina seems underwhelming? The B-Wings are already pretty good at being stressed and the config is not going to help that so she doesn't really want to pass it to her buddies. Maybe she'll just be good as an I5?

K2S0 crew seems real dang good. Leia seems fine, I'm not sure how viable the YT is in general though.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Got my brother in law and my nephews the 2.0 starter set, the millennium falcon, a tie fighter, the tie advanced and a battle mat. I hope they like their gift.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Got my brother in law and my nephews the 2.0 starter set, the millennium falcon, a tie fighter, the tie advanced and a battle mat. I hope they like their gift.

Rebellions are built on hope.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Finally, FINALLY got my huge ship conversion kit.

This is so nice. So many little quality of life things baked into it. It's pretty obvious they designed the 2.0 rules with this in mind. I just adore the new stands and movement template, even if it means I need to buy 2 more conversion kits if I want to field my entire huge ship fleet at once.

... the thought has crossed my mind.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    You know if you do that and you wanna send me one of your extra CR-90 dials I wouldn't complain! I bought the 2.0 release and have the wrong dial.

Heck, I'd probably even buy the Raider components off you too since FFG doesn't wanna release that in 2.0 (a decision that remains asinine).

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    What do you mean by got the wrong dial?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    All of the 2.0 packaging Corvettes have the Raider dial instead of the CR-90 dial for some reason that probably got a QA guy yelled at.

ChaosHat wrote: »
    All of the 2.0 packaging Corvettes have the Raider dial instead of the CR-90 dial for some reason that probably got a QA guy yelled at.

Oh shit. How the fuck do you screw something like that up?

Yeah. If (when?) I buy another huge ship conversion kit, I'll let you know so I can ship you the dial.

Athenor wrote: »

Oh shit. How the fuck do you screw something like that up?

Yeah. If (when?) I buy another huge ship conversion kit, I'll let you know so I can ship you the dial.

Awesome! I already have a support ticket with FFG for the dial but they're very backordered since again, everyone needs them.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Can't you make your own? I made dials for my second Slave I and fourth A-Wing and TIE Interceptor out of spare dials from the upgrade kits.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I figured that would be confusing? We also thought about printing them off on some cards.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I figured that would be confusing? We also thought about printing them off on some cards.

I glued the correct maneouvers on the dial, but also the correct ship name, faction color on the front. (It helped that I had an original, which I ran through a photocopier.) Unless you know that it's fake, it's really hard to spot.

But even if it's not perfect, it'd be better than nothing.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I still like this approach. They've admitted there are not any more iconic OT and ST ships they can produce and have be market viable, so an upgrade kit makes a great replacement for the Vets/Aces model of 1st edition.

The cynic in me says this is why they didn't print more of the old pilots in the conversion/reprints. Would you like to use Fel's Wrath or Carnor Jax? Now buy this extra pack! The exclusion of Maarek Stele from the Defender is, by itself, a crime.

Parts of wave 7 have leaked.

LAAT
    Droid Gunship
    First Order Light Shuttle

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Parts of wave 7 have leaked.

LAAT

YERSSSS!!!!

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Is it a leak if it's on the company store?

F/O TIE Interceptor preview article:
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/8/legend-reborn/

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
    I've hoped they would do the Republic Gunship since they announced Clone Wars era. I was worried, however, due to it primarily being a ground fighter and how big it is compared to most ships.

"They found us out! Quick, post it!"

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oh heck yeah, I so want the Gunship. The First Order TIE is really tempting...

What? I just like collecting these things. Wait, people play games with them?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    The ability on the LAAT is apparently a mini sinker. 2 recurring charges, when a friendly ship attacks, if the defender is in your mobile arc, you may spend a charge to allow them to reroll up to two dice. That's...pretty good.

Droid gunship is "you may not spend your lock to reroll dice. While attacking you may reroll one die for every target lock on the defender"

edited January 2020
    Points updated, you could look at the PDFs or YASB but this nifty spreadsheet shows the before and after. I also watched the stream, so here is a summary:

The TL;DR is most big ships got cheaper as FFG keeps trying to make them a thing. Buffed a lot of low cost generics, 5 Rebel X-Wings is now a thing, 6 generic TIE Interceptors, things like that. Also a lot of lesser used pilots, like lower initiative X-Wings (Rebel and Resistance), Non-Vader TIE Advanced, non-Inferno Squadron TIE Fighters, generic RZ-2s, literally each TIE F/O -1 point, lot of other First Order stuff that isn't being played nudged. Lots of underplayed pilots helped.

Very few nerfs to things, they wanted to bring things up to the level instead of cutting stuff down to size. No nerfs to Soontir, Vader, Anakin, Wedge, droid swarms, Finn, or most of the big stuff. Obi-Wan went up a point, regen droids were hit, Sear nerfed, Howlrunner nerfed (WHY), Braylen nerfed are the big takeaways. A few upgrades too, Leia, Fifth Brother.

They also released wave 6 points. Vonreg is 57, the generic is 45. Kaz is 40, the generic 26.

Rules reference also updated. Major changes include:

Tractor! If an opponent moves your ship with a tractor, you now get to rotate the moved ship 90 degrees. Meant to make people choose whether or not they actually want the move since you can't be moved out of arc or will get a shot on something. You don't get to rotate if they choose not to move you.

Gas clouds! When you hit a gas cloud, you now roll a die. On a hit or focus (not crit) you take a strain. So that's 5/8 odds you will be strained. You still lose the action.

ChaosHat on
    Some build thoughts.

Alright, so my favorite build, five Resistance A-Wings actually got better due to the point reduction on the generics. I could use it to give all the A-Wings heroic (had to leave it off one) and then have a 1 pt bid, or I could sub one of the cheap ones for the new Ronith Blario, who seems decent. Across all the ships, if any of them have a focus left over he basically is guaranteed two hits. I'm not sure which is better, since the ships do all have advanced optics it seems possibly unlikely a focus will be left over.

I want to try Rey but I don't know what to put on her. The whole Rose/Finn combo does seem great but expensive. Just throw her out there nude? I was brainstorming with a friend and he suggested the title, but her dial is so bad if you're stacking the stress you're gonna be gimped. So my thought then was maybe you throw the title on and Korr Sella to just dump the stress right away. Or maybe Leia crew, but if you have Leia, do you need the other stress dumping since she opens up your blue move options and maybe prevents you from being stressed anyways? You definitely want Leia on a different ship since force regen doesn't stack. So here is my build for that. This is also Rey and the A-Wings.

I also haven't determined what to do with the Starfortress. Just the generic with proton bombs and trajectory simulator seems okay, but it's hard to put pieces around it that feel good. I like Edon since it gives you a lot of places to drop bombs, but again, it's hard to put a coherent strategy or list around that. Just spam A-Wings? I find spam A-Wings the solution to most problems.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/15/explosive-speed/

Also I think I heard wave 6 is "officially" slated for Jan 31

I've heard the 17th but I've also heard some conflicting info on what is available when, from literally everything and all 3 card packs to just the ships or the ships and some card packs.

Barnes and Noble has also leaked a few things apparently

Indeed. I have the fireball and two vonregs.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Miniature Market has a pretty good number of 1st edition ships on sale for 50% off right now if anyone is interested.

Anyone know of a way to buy more medium bases?

edited January 2020
    Elvenshae wrote: »

You'd have to buy a conversion kit, but you could probably ask around on the X-Wing swap and sell facebook group to see if anyone has extras.

ChaosHat on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Looks like there's some on ebay right now.

At $0.75 per, Ebay looks viable. Thanks, everyone!

edited January 2020
    Grabbed myself a Fireball and Major Vonreg's TIE, plus Hotshots and Aces today.

You know, since I'm a broken person who already has cardboard storage issues and doesn't play enough x-wing. :)

I almost walked out with the Nadiri Starhawk for Armada (even though I play that even less than x-wing) because that ship is amazing looking, but I'll have to wait on a sale for that

crimsoncoyote on

You know, since I'm a broken person who already has cardboard storage issues and doesn't play enough x-wing. :)

I almost walked out with the Nadiri Starhawk for Armada (even though I play that even less than x-wing) because that ship is amazing looking, but I'll have to wait on a sale for that

The Starhawk is a beautiful ship and I totally want a model. It's also a unique ship design at a time when it feels like all post ROTJ ships are just minor tweaks, although maybe you could argue it's a tweaked Nebulon.

The Starhawk is a beautiful ship and I totally want a model. It's also a unique ship design at a time when it feels like all post ROTJ ships are just minor tweaks, although maybe you could argue it's a tweaked Nebulon.

It is just MASSIVE compared to the Neb though, and I feel like they are well more than different enough ;-)