As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] let's just stay here for a moment

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
edited January 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
https://youtu.be/ikEzkqoZ7EM

The Expanse is a series of novels by one person named James S.A Corey, set a couple hundred years in the future.

After a Martian scientist invents a fusion drive that gives humanity access to the outer planets of our solar system, SyFy bankrolled a TV series from Alcon Entertainment about those events!

And then cancelled it after three seasons. There was a huge campaign by the fans to revive it on another network but when does that ever work.

Well it did! Amazon picked it up for a fourth and fifth season! Season 4 is available right now, exclusively on Amazon Prime.

Since Season 4 ran into the room too fast and got ate all at once, note which episode you're talking about.

For books, maybe spoiler boxes for anything past Book 3?

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Just finished watching season 4, it was amazing. I hope anyone into science fiction gets a chance to watch it.

steam_sig.png
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    New season, real good. Old seasons, also real good. Books, real good.

New (last) book sometime in 2020.

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Just finished season 4. It was an incredible binge watch and I already look forward to doing a slow re-watch ahead of season 5.

It's impressive how much they've done to weave in various characters between book and show and tweak various things to either work better for TV or to flesh out more clearly on a second pass.

It doesn't tinker with the book narrative as much as something like The Magicians but it illustrates just how much the involvement of the author(s) can enhance the adapation.

I swear I read the showrunners say season 4 budget was comparable to prior seasons - if that's really true they did a hell of a job with their money since I thought the sets and effects were excellent.

In summary...when does season 5 come out?

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Holden. Do not put your dick in it. It's fucked enough already.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Finished Season 4 last night. Fantastic.

And I don't really care much for Holden. Its the side characters that make the show for me. Especially Drummer, Ashford, Avasarala, Amos & Bobbie.

Episode 10
    Sad to see Ashford go. I have never read the books, so I don't know how he is protrayed there, but David Strathairn is fantastic.

Like the one complaint I have about season 4 is that Ilus was a little too bleak and desolate for my taste. I hope possible future explorations through the ring gates gets us some more lush worlds.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The problem with lush worlds is its hard to keep a reasonable budget and not make them look like just another place on earth.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Monwyn wrote: »

I hope others assume it already, but here's a warning none the less, that link is chock full of spoilers for those of us who haven't read the books and so are going into season 4 of the show not having some clue already what is going to happen. I hope this warning helps if you are trying to avoid spoilers about the books/latest season.

Here is the non-spoiler part of the article:
    ...as actor Wes Chatham put it: “Inside, he’s a hurricane.”

In an interview, Chatham shared how he’s spent years figuring out how to properly explore and portray Amos’s past—particularly the trauma he experienced as a child. This included going to a psychologist, book in hand, and asking her to explain Amos’s thought process and how he would respond in certain situations.

“I wanted to get into it with somebody that is a professional and has a lot of experience, and a lot of case studies of trauma and how trauma manifests. And so I give The Churn to the psychologist and then I sit and speak with her as if I have those circumstances,” he said. “Sitting down with the psychologist saying, ‘How would this look like? What kind of behavior would this look like? And if I’m treating this person this way, if Naomi is this important to me, why is this here? What is this thing?’”

Chatham added that he read scientific studies and books, most notably The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by PTSD researcher Bessel van der Kolk, to understand how trauma affects people emotionally and physically. And his work comes across. According to Chatham, even though The Expanse has been vague about what happened to Amos when he was a child, there are people who come up to him and just know what Amos went through, based entirely on the character’s behavior onscreen.

“I thought it would be very subtle and underneath. But there are people that come up to me all the time and say they know exactly what’s going on. Even though Amos’s backstory is unknown, they know exactly what happened. And it’s like, ‘Wow.’ And then you realize, you know, they have personal experience and it’s, you know, it’s pretty amazing like how connected and receptive they are to the character and the story,” he said.

Since I’m someone who goes to therapy and finds immense value in the practice, I asked Chatham if he could elaborate on the decision to include therapy as part of his acting process—especially given the stigma around mental health services. He didn’t exactly address it, but he did discuss the universality of pain and the value in breaking down a character’s layers so others can connect to his story and, if applicable, see themselves in what Amos has gone through and how he’s handled it so far.

“We all have deep fears. We have deep sensitivities. We have deep vulnerabilities. We have things that happened to us in the past that we’re like, ‘This will never fucking happen to me again.’ And we start to build a part of our ego or personality around protecting these things,” he said. “Once that gets pulled away and you see [Amos’s trauma], I think they’re going to be more deeply connected. Because it’s like, that’s true. That’s truth, that’s honesty, and that’s what I’m doing.”

steam_sig.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    One of the best parts about the series going to Amazon is that Avasarala is now free to speak the way she does in the books. No one drops an F bomb like her.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Well, it's good advice.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2019
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

And I don't really care much for Holden. Its the side characters that make the show for me. Especially Drummer, Ashford, Avasarala, Amos & Bobbie.

Episode 10
    Sad to see Ashford go. I have never read the books, so I don't know how he is protrayed there, but David Strathairn is fantastic.

Re that character:
    i knew he was doomed as soon as we saw him sadly watching a video of singing and playing with his grandchild.
    Every further gift of age-earned wisdom and solo mission only confirmed it.

Still, it was cool to see how he became a Belter hero, and he went out like a boss.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    S4E10 spoilers:
    I wasn't expecting that last closing scene with Amos and Murtry. The fact that they clearly illustrated Murtry as the aggressor made me laugh after the multiple-page discussion on that interaction in the last thread

The shots of Ilus after Holden climbed out at the end were jawdropping.

I don't remember the book Ilus ending going down quite like that, but I thought it all worked really well with Elvi having her shot talking to Proto Miller.

Books 5 + 6 + 7 spoilers & show speculation related:
    I am very curious to see what they combine in Season 5 given that with no changes we'd essentially have 6 groups (Amos/Clarissa/Earth, Alex/Bobbie, Naomi/Filip/Marcos, Holden/Monica, Fred+Drummer+OPA stuff and then Chrisjen doing her thing).

Beyond that book 6 has a ton of different viewpoints + Anna and Prax coming back and I could see a lot of that getting spiked in favor or more time with Marcos & Free Navy and then Duarte/Laconian build up. Strictly thinking about the books it doesn't seem like much from Book 7 could be pulled into Season 6 but I think they are really going to get creative re-arranging the next 3 books to make the show flow better. I'm so excited to consider that Amazon could really fund this show to completion.

TheBigEasy wrote: »

Episode 10

Like the one complaint I have about season 4 is that Ilus was a little too bleak and desolate for my taste. I hope possible future explorations through the ring gates gets us some more lush worlds.
    The problem with lush worlds is its hard to keep a reasonable budget and not make them look like just another place on earth.

So I was wondering about this, because the exterior shots didn't look like CGI to me, but they also didn't look like any natural environment I was aware of.

So.
    Shankar said that the Ilus scenes were shot at an active quarry an hour and a half outside of Toronto and that "virtually no CGI work was used" in creating the planet. He called it a "departure" for the series, which has largely taken place aboard space stations until now.

Quarry makes a lot of sense. The kind of weird mix of rock and water fits.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah ive seen places that look like that before, its just a better option for an alien planet than "oh yeah I have those trees in my backyard"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Do you really want to recognize BC or Ontario forests as a alien planet yet again? :D

steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Episode 6
    YO. That ending was straight up Interstellar. Really well done, IMO.

Oh brilliant
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Ep 8
    "Oh, I took a lethal dose of radiation and have to take special medication several times a day. Do you think that might be a factor?"

God damnit Holden! Your aloof dumbassery has once again... ultimately saved the day, I guess?

Very well, carry on, you absolute doof.

Watched them all, that was a great season, bring on the next!

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Ep 8
    "Oh, I took a lethal dose of radiation and have to take special medication several times a day. Do you think that might be a factor?"

God damnit Holden! Your aloof dumbassery has once again... ultimately saved the day, I guess?

Ep 8
    Haha, at that scene, I'm like what. the fuck. The doctor and everyone else is asking how Holden is different from everyone else, and this medication he continually takes isn't even brought up once??

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    edited December 2019
    Ep 8

Ep 8
    Haha, at that scene, I'm like what. the fuck. The doctor and everyone else is asking how Holden is different from everyone else, and this medication he continually takes isn't even brought up once??
    Ep 8
    In hindsight I don't think it actually spanned more than one episode and a day or two, but it was killing me that no one was asking that and it felt like an entire weeks had passed.

Perhaps it's just a testament to the state of medicine that 'have you ever been diagnosed with terminal cancer' isn't on the screening form.

Or just an indication that they're too accustomed to Auto-Docs automatically determining "what medications are you currently taking?" without being asking.

Full Season, future show speculation for non-readers:
    So what's the angle here for Mars? The Martian officer seed to think he was furthering Martian interests by helping the belters, but
    I'm not seeing how 'roiding Earth translates to revitalizing Martian development?

Are they just seeking to overthrow the UN in order expand through the ring without constraint; leaving Mars itself behind? That comports with a certain definition of "the dream of Mars," or: a world(s) for themselves, even if not specifically Mars.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

So what's the angle here for Mars? The Martian officer seed to think he was furthering Martian interests by helping the belters, but
    I'm not seeing how 'roiding Earth translates to revitalizing Martian development?

Are they just seeking to overthrow the UN in order expand through the ring without constraint; leaving Mars itself behind? That comports with a certain definition of "the dream of Mars," or: a world for themselves, even if not specifically Mars.

My non-reader thoughts:
    I wasn't sure Mars had an angle — rather that the season wanted to hammer home how Martian identity & unity had been thoroughly eroded in the aftermath of the ring, such that collusion with Belter operatives was less about furthering Martian ambitions and more about Martian society (as expressed in technology and certain people) being subsumed into the greater interstellar humanity with little regard for how that would benefit their society or anyone else's. I think the Officer's perspective on "furthering Martian interests" was largely one of delusions to obscure selfish motivations, or a sort of revolutionary gamble to try and "reveal" to the Martian populace the "truth" of their circumstances and get them motivated to move beyond their dream of a terraformed Mars.

edited December 2019
    metaghost wrote: »

Are they just seeking to overthrow the UN in order expand through the ring without constraint; leaving Mars itself behind? That comports with a certain definition of "the dream of Mars," or: a world for themselves, even if not specifically Mars.

My non-reader thoughts:
    I wasn't sure Mars had an angle — rather that the season wanted to hammer home how Martian identity & unity had been thoroughly eroded in the aftermath of the ring, such that collusion with Belter operatives was less about furthering Martian ambitions and more about Martian society (as expressed in technology and certain people) being subsumed into the greater interstellar humanity with little regard for how that would benefit their society or anyone else's. I think the Officer's perspective on "furthering Martian interests" was largely one of delusions to obscure selfish motivations, or a sort of revolutionary gamble to try and "reveal" to the Martian populace the "truth" of their circumstances and get them motivated to move beyond their dream of a terraformed Mars.
    spoiler contains some book stuff from a little after this season
    I think the Martian on the ship is supposed to be one of Duarte's true believers. The Martians on planet are just trying to take care of themselves, but he's part of that plan, which involves Martians, but no longer involves Mars the planet.
    I think both he and the guy on Esai's crew were logistics, which would support that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    metaghost wrote: »

My non-reader thoughts:
    spoiler contains some book stuff from a little after this season
    I think the Martian on the ship is supposed to be one of Duarte's true believers. The Martians on planet are just trying to take care of themselves, but he's part of that plan, which involves Martians, but no longer involves Mars the planet.
    I think both he and the guy on Esai's crew were logistics, which would support that.

That's definitely book insights though, as you labeled your spoiler. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

We should probably let the show only folks just run with this one but I think we might have to be whatever the Expanse equivalent of Watchers on The Wall for this one. Definitely don't click @Tofystedeth's spoiler show only folks. My apologies if this is coming off as overly cautious.

steam_sig.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    People here are generally respectful of labeling their spoilers, so I don't think we'll have to go the two threads route.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Damn, they did a great job casting Marcos, and the kid looks damn like the two actors. I still hate pretty much that entire storyline but well done, casting agents!

S4 was really solid especially given how draggy the last few episodes could have been (once those people are in that place surviving that stuff). Developing extra storylines for Bobby and Avarasala really paid off in balancing that.

Straygatsby on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I haven't finished the new season yet (still have ep10 yet to watch; won't have an opportunity for another week due to holiday stuff) but goddamn is the new season fantastic. The writing's great, the show's never looked better, and I love how they've adapted the material.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wish I had the time to watch S4 again. I finished it and it was fucking fantastic. Just wonderful sci-fi. :biggrin: :cool: :heartbeat:
    I loved the design of Miller-bot. And him struggling to learn how to move a new mechanical 'body'. Also that comment on aceing the Turing test. :lol:

The set design was sooo reminiscent of Remtech (Remnant Technology) from Mass Effect: Andromeda. Who copied who first, I wonder? Or maybe it's just an aesthetic trope?

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Burn Gorman is one of the best "that guy" in Hollywood.

He also apparently changed his avatar on Amazon or IMDB or whatever because if you cause a scene he's in his little picture shows him wearing a powdered wig and old timey jacket.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hooooly shit episode 8
    the Investigator showing up, glitching out and screaming? That's new. And fucking terrifying.

Oh brilliant
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I wish I had the time to watch S4 again. I finished it and it was fucking fantastic. Just wonderful sci-fi. :biggrin: :cool: :heartbeat:
    I loved the design of Miller-bot. And him struggling to learn how to move a new mechanical 'body'. Also that comment on aceing the Turing test. :lol:

The set design was sooo reminiscent of Remtech (Remnant Technology) from Mass Effect: Andromeda. Who copied who first, I wonder? Or maybe it's just an aesthetic trope?

Sort of spoilers for S4
    I think in the book the tech was described as being more organic in nature. The walkway Holden and Murtry had their standoff on was describe as being almost like a tongue, if I'm remembering the book correctly

5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Sort of spoilers for S4
    I think in the book the tech was described as being more organic in nature. The walkway Holden and Murtry had their standoff on was describe as being almost like a tongue, if I'm remembering the book correctly

I guess that might be a little harder to film.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Honestly at this point it's a miracle literally any power player is like "Wow this sure is a complex problem, better call Holden to deal with it," considering the dudes propensity for pissing off every political power that's ever even suggested stuff to him.

• DavedeldotDavedeldot Registered User regular
    Burn Gorman is one of the best "that guy" in Hollywood.

He also apparently changed his avatar on Amazon or IMDB or whatever because if you cause a scene he's in his little picture shows him wearing a powdered wig and old timey jacket.

That shot is from him as a British officer in AMCs "Turn".

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Just finished watching the Season. I think it was very well done.

I really enjoyed being able to watch it all at once (over 4 days anyway).

It's interesting to see how they did a couple of things very differently than the books, but at the same time hit all the important bits.

Do we know if it's confirmed for another season? Next season will be a big one.

Selner wrote: »
    Just finished watching the Season. I think it was very well done.

I really enjoyed being able to watch it all at once (over 4 days anyway).

It's interesting to see how they did a couple of things very differently than the books, but at the same time hit all the important bits.

Do we know if it's confirmed for another season? Next season will be a big one.

It is. They've started filming, I think. Probably out same time next year.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Honestly at this point it's a miracle literally any power player is like "Wow this sure is a complex problem, better call Holden to deal with it," considering the dudes propensity for pissing off every political power that's ever even suggested stuff to him.

At least in the case of the UN, the list of people whom they can call that don't absolutely hate Earth and won't be immediately told to take a long walk out of a short airlock by Joe Belter is: 1) Holden, 2) Nobody else.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    Also Holden is generally pissing off all political powers always, so that's kind of like being a neutral party?

steam_sig.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Episode 10
    Was anyone else yelling at Ashford to just fucking shoot him? You know they're going to kill you, go down swinging you might get lucky!

I suppose he did get a message off?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Episode 10
    Was anyone else yelling at Ashford to just fucking shoot him? You know they're going to kill you, go down swinging you might get lucky!

I suppose he did get a message off?

I just finished the season yesterday and
    Ashford absolutely would've shot Marco if he knew the whole story and if he could prove it. The old Ashford would've burned him down where he stood, tried to get the son, and probably died with a "fuck the inners" attitude because then everything would fall apart when Marco's plan went off.

But this is the new Ashford, who has watched Inners and Belters work together and knows their future cannot be one of hatred. He died, but he got the insane truth from Marco himself so now there can absolutely be no doubt that the OPA has nothing to do with the action and it's a real threat. Ashford was fairly sure he was going to die on that mission anyway, but he was there to protect everybody, not just the Belters or the OPA. So yeah, he willingly didn't take the shot in the hopes of finding out the whole story.

On top of all that, he knew the son was also Naomi's son and I don't think Ashford was keen on the idea of murdering a young brainwashed boy to save his own life. He was at a point where he would rather die to save a bunch of people than take the risk of living and killing somebody.
    This particular sequence also gives me a huuuuge amount of hope for the series going forward, since both the way
    Marco and the Mars smuggling were handled
    was about a hundred times better than the books. They really wove both those items deeply into the politics of the setting instead of just chucking the situations out there with virtually no buildup. Oh yeah, and with Ashford
    dying to get that message proving the Belters are clear, it also removes one of my "this would just be flat impossible" issues with the books wherein the Inners don't spend the next thousand years butchering Belters.
    All in all, they've left the situation feeling as naturally as it should, not horribly contrived like it was at the same point in the books.

Anyway, favorite moment of the season? Amos walking into that holding room, getting punched, coming back up with the HOLY FUCKBALLS CRAZY look and a "thank you". I can pleasantly imagine Holden staring with both horror and awe at a med screen a couple hours later, wondering how Amos managed to get both mag boots up the guy's ass... with his feet still in them. Just... holy shit, that actor put some serious work into that expression, it was some major madman there.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Still kinda laughing at the fact that I have the same joystick the roci uses now, though. They didn't even paint it.

The work that Wes Chatam has put into Amos, who could easily have been a one dimensional character, is epic.

I think Alex weirdly is the least developed character of the whole show sadly. He always just seems to be the guy who's there.

I really wish Shed hadn't been killed in Season 1 too because I really like Paulo Costanzo and I thought he did a real good job.