As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does it look better to put basing material around the feet or glue the model to the basing material once it's dry? I'm gonna be using a bunch of the black crackle paint for my Skaven bases and I'm not sure which option will look better.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    crackle paint is not the most durable surface to glue a model to, I would either crackle around the mini or at least pin it if you are going to glue to the crackle.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    These Slaanesh chariots are pretty fiddly to paint, but I finally got done with it. I wish the supplied base was even close to appropriately sized, but you can't have everything, I suppose.

0dppf2q3qg8i.jpg
    53ygu0p1xgab.jpg
    h3yuhk0d6v2r.jpg

The top rider is on a magnet so I can swap for a non-hero version as necessary (and old Sigvald there can go on a separate base for use as a Herald or Chaos Lord)

tssjkq6b2dmh.jpg

I'm probably gonna want at least one more exalted chariot doing at some point, and maybe a trio of regular seeker chariots, buuut I think I'll wait on starting up any of those, there's such a thing as too many exenterating saw blades, believe it or not.

Halos Nach Tariff on
    Viking wrote: »
    crackle paint is not the most durable surface to glue a model to, I would either crackle around the mini or at least pin it if you are going to glue to the crackle.

I think pinning 80 clanrats and 80 plague monks would end up being way too tedious. Guess I'll do it around the feet.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    For completely unrelated reasons to @Mayday’s post I am starting to add some Alpha Legion to my collection

But since we’re here, gimme dat paint recipe @Mayday

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

I think pinning 80 clanrats and 80 plague monks would end up being way too tedious. Guess I'll do it around the feet.

You could crackle paint the bases, then varnish (which you need to do anyway, crackle paint flakes increadibly easily), and then glue the mini to the varnish?

Sic transit gloria mundi.

You could crackle paint the bases, then varnish (which you need to do anyway, crackle paint flakes increadibly easily), and then glue the mini to the varnish?

Yea, I might give that a try. Gonna do some tests when I get home.

this is what I did with my poxwalkers, I have 60 of them and need to re-glue at least 1 each time I play.

what I have started doing is placing a couple small plastic risers (yay finally a use for left over sprue) on the base that lift the model a couple of mm so the mini is not sunk into the base and yet still gives a plastic surface to weld to.

steam_sig.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I just slop texture paint on the base, and if it gets on the model then that’s between me and god because no one else is going to notice it.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Too lazy to take better photos at the moment. It was good timing that I'm waiting on some specialty glue to arrive before continuing with tiny ship - I finished a commission~

Some D&D monster that's the end boss of a campaign or something? It's really weird, anyway. <_<
    hf2l342r72dx.jpg

You bet it is - that's an atropal, one of my favorite big bads for settings grimdark or otherwise horror-tinged. It's essentially what happens when reality has a miscarriage and a god's destiny is thwarted so it's never 'born' and that potential omnipotence rots in the void...
    WACriminal wrote: »
    In all seriousness, a question:

What's the smell factor like?[
    These kinds of hobby paints are water-based, so don't have any volatile solvents to offend the nose. Whatever the scent of the pigments themselves are, you have to stick your nose in the pot to get it. Tamiya paints are alcohol based, but even so, you pretty much have to get your nose to the pot to smell anything.
    I use old pill bottles for handles, they generally are a good enough diameter to do the job. You can weight the insides too if you dont want them tipping.

That's what I used to use, but the paint handles are so cheap and actually designed for the job. It's the difference between pounding a nail in with a hammer, or just improvising one.
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I sculpted some horrible little creatures and 3D printed a whole mess of them.

SIGMCKv.png
    baUL8k7.jpg

You can grab one here if you want:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4055436
    Those would be amazing for Tzeentch horrors of any color.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In the Aos thread I posted the few skaven I have I painted long ago
    0dc2by9m6uus.png

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    These Slaanesh chariots are pretty fiddly to paint, but I finally got done with it. I wish the supplied base was even close to appropriately sized, but you can't have everything, I suppose.

0dppf2q3qg8i.jpg
    53ygu0p1xgab.jpg
    h3yuhk0d6v2r.jpg

The top rider is on a magnet so I can swap for a non-hero version as necessary (and old Sigvald there can go on a separate base for use as a Herald or Chaos Lord)

tssjkq6b2dmh.jpg

I'm probably gonna want at least one more exalted chariot doing at some point, and maybe a trio of regular seeker chariots, buuut I think I'll wait on starting up any of those, there's such a thing as too many exenterating saw blades, believe it or not.

This is amazing, but when did the followers of Slannesh take up farming?

cubmobilewheels010-vi.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I proxies a few slaanesh chariots in a game earlier this year and they were awesome, but I just can't handle how tiny and fiddly most slaanesh models are. I've broken arms of off four or five daemonettes just moving them on a game board.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    I proxies a few slaanesh chariots in a game earlier this year and they were awesome, but I just can't handle how tiny and fiddly most slaanesh models are. I've broken arms of off four or five daemonettes just moving them on a game board.

The Khinerai I really have no idea how to put them away
    A good breeze would carry them away

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    This is amazing, but when did the followers of Slannesh take up farming?

cubmobilewheels010-vi.jpg

Ah, no, see, common mistake, you're thinking of the very different (and definitely not just the same kit turned sideways), the Hellflayer of Slaanesh: gw-99129915012-16.jpg

The exalted chariot is more of a sexy lawnmower.

Halos Nach Tariff on
    edited December 2019

this is what I did with my poxwalkers, I have 60 of them and need to re-glue at least 1 each time I play.

what I have started doing is placing a couple small plastic risers (yay finally a use for left over sprue) on the base that lift the model a couple of mm so the mini is not sunk into the base and yet still gives a plastic surface to weld to.

Did you use plastic glue or super glue before using the risers?
    Badablack wrote: »
    I just slop texture paint on the base, and if it gets on the model then that’s between me and god because no one else is going to notice it.

I don't generally mind if there is texture stuff on the feet but for this I feel like it would be weird if it is around them like that. I feel like it would look better being on top.

Basically doing this.

https://youtu.be/cmat5LQoP-c

Stragint on

edited December 2019
    originally used superglue to bond the model direcly to the textured base (after varnishing it), using the riser method produces a much stronger bond.

so long as you apply the texture paint carefully and don't cover the riser you can glue the mini on after the base is completed.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    This is hardly the most interesting thing posted recently, but I think I mentioned I had largely stalled out on the boat while waiting for some new glue to arrive. Well, it arrived about ten days back but I was just swamped. A couple of days off for Christmas vacation have given me enough willpower to finally sit back down and try to accomplish something. Wound up adding a few railing bits and building the first of the large bofors pits. Every time I actually put the pieces together of what I have so far, I feel good about this one~
    b14dhc6483hv.jpg

[edit]
    Ooof, looking at this this morning on my PC, that resize app on my phone was rough. Noted for the future. <_<

ArcticLancer on
    edited December 2019
    Finished up the current detail pieces.

kw1oaozzrkqv.jpg

So how can I shade fluorescent colors? Water down a wash so it really only builds up in the recesses or use a darker but similar fluorescent color to shade?

Or maybe I should use normal acrylic colors for the base coat and then highlight with a matching fluorescent?

This is for my Skaven.

Stragint on

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So my parents gave me a $50 Amazon card for Christmas. We use Amazon a lot for necessities, so my partner and I agreed I would just add the gift card balance to our shared account and then I could spend $50 wherever I wanted.

As you may have guessed based on the thread we're in, I'm gonna get some painting stuff, because I've found it REALLY relaxing at work. For starters, I need to get a #2 flat brush because the starter kit Amazon sent me had two round brushes instead of 1 flat+1 round. I'm also getting some brush-on white primer because I've got some metal minis from a board game that I'd like to try painting (and also that hedgehog warrior mini I was looking at is metal, so I'll need the primer then). That leaves me with roughly $40 if I shop at Reaper. I don't know if I need to buy any more miniatures at the moment, as I'm still working on the 3 from the starter set and I've got the ones from my board game after that. Then if I shop at Reaper I apparently get a free mini for spending more than $40? Anyway, I'm really interested in expanding my color collection, but I'm looking for advice.

1) Should I be buying any other brushes? My rounds are #0 and #2, and with the #2 flat I feel like I've got what I need until/unless I start working with larger figures, at which point I might buy a bigger flat to cover large areas more quickly.

2) Should I be buying any other accessories/supplies like the primer?

3) I currently have the following Reaper-brand colors:
    Pure Black, Mountain Stone, Dragon White

Naga Green, Dragon Blue, Candlelight Yellow

Harvest Brown, Leather Brown, Desert Sand

Polished Silver, Blade Steel
    Which means that I definitely need to pick up some representatives from the following categories: Red, Orange, Purple, Gold Metallic, Copper Metallic, Light Fleshtone (I think I can approximate darker fleshtones with what I've got)

Are there any especially good/bad colors I should be aware of? I'm currently looking at the following set:
    Heraldic Red
    Lava Orange
    Clear Purple
    New Gold
    Fair Skin
    Gunmetal Blue
    In particular, I'm not sure which is the most versatile gold or copper shade to get. I lean towards New Gold, but is it easy to darken/brown-ify it to create a more subtle tone? For copper and bronze, I just have no idea.

Should I be getting another green? A different red? An aqua color? The metallic black? Rose gold looks fun, but how often will I actually use it? Should I be shopping at a different site entirely?

I have visions of myself in the future with shelves of paint bottles so I can easily get to the perfect shade for a project, but at the moment I mainly need to fill in gaps.

EDIT: Also I have a friend who tells me he paints his minis with Apple Barrel paint. The internet seems mixed on whether that's a good idea or not. It would definitely be cheaper, though, so does anyone here have experience with that?

WACriminal on
    edited December 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »
    So my parents gave me a $50 Amazon card for Christmas. We use Amazon a lot for necessities, so my partner and I agreed I would just add the gift card balance to our shared account and then I could spend $50 wherever I wanted.

As you may have guessed based on the thread we're in, I'm gonna get some painting stuff, because I've found it REALLY relaxing at work. For starters, I need to get a #2 flat brush because the starter kit Amazon sent me had two round brushes instead of 1 flat+1 round. I'm also getting some brush-on white primer because I've got some metal minis from a board game that I'd like to try painting (and also that hedgehog warrior mini I was looking at is metal, so I'll need the primer then). That leaves me with roughly $40 if I shop at Reaper. I don't know if I need to buy any more miniatures at the moment, as I'm still working on the 3 from the starter set and I've got the ones from my board game after that. Then if I shop at Reaper I apparently get a free mini for spending more than $40? Anyway, I'm really interested in expanding my color collection, but I'm looking for advice.

1) Should I be buying any other brushes? My rounds are #0 and #2, and with the #2 flat I feel like I've got what I need until/unless I start working with larger figures, at which point I might buy a bigger flat to cover large areas more quickly.

2) Should I be buying any other accessories/supplies like the primer?

3) I currently have the following Reaper-brand colors:
    Pure Black, Mountain Stone, Dragon White

Naga Green, Dragon Blue, Candlelight Yellow

Harvest Brown, Leather Brown, Desert Sand

Polished Silver, Blade Steel
    Which means that I definitely need to pick up some representatives from the following categories: Red, Orange, Purple, Gold Metallic, Copper Metallic, Light Fleshtone (I think I can approximate darker fleshtones with what I've got)

Are there any especially good/bad colors I should be aware of? I'm currently looking at the following set:
    Heraldic Red
    Lava Orange
    Clear Purple
    New Gold
    Fair Skin
    Gunmetal Blue
    In particular, I'm not sure which is the most versatile gold or copper shade to get. I lean towards New Gold, but is it easy to darken/brown-ify it to create a more subtle tone? For copper and bronze, I just have no idea.

Should I be getting another green? A different red? An aqua color? The metallic black? Rose gold looks fun, but how often will I actually use it? Should I be shopping at a different site entirely?

I have visions of myself in the future with shelves of paint bottles so I can easily get to the perfect shade for a project, but at the moment I mainly need to fill in gaps.

EDIT: Also I have a friend who tells me he paints his minis with Apple Barrel paint. The internet seems mixed on whether that's a good idea or not. It would definitely be cheaper, though, so does anyone here have experience with that?

For filling gaps I'd recommend branching out to other brands. Most have really nice paint sets to cover certain things. Scale 75 sells a wide variety of sets for painting metallics, flesh, vehicles, clothes l, etc.

I'm not sure if vallejo has paint sets but they are really good paints. Even if they say airbrush you can easily brush paint with them.

For darkening gold it is very easy with a good shade wash. I've only ever used GW shade wash and agrax earth shade is crazy good with gold. Or reikland flesh shade is also nice. Or you can also give the gold a nice tint using a purple shade wash.

The gold on this was retributor gold that I then shaded using agrax.
    c5vnko8860dv.jpg
    xevlo01kxp3g.jpg

For apple barrel paints, after google searching it looks like the only real thing to consider is the pigmentation. It looks like acrylic canvas paints have less pigmentation which means more layers which can cause the paint to create a texture while acrylic mini payments are more pigmented. Could be totally wrong though but that is what I've been seeing.

Stragint on

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Trucking along with my piggy boys. This guy was a blast to pick out bits for.
    Base is original metal Butcher with grafted on plastic ogre arms, head is greenstuffed ogre bellower head, and the kiddie-sack (hobbits?) is from the gargant/giant kit.

warpig_butcher_turn.gif
    warpig_butcher01.jpg

website_header.jpg
    edited December 2019
    @WACriminal

Vallejo burnt iron is a one-stop shop for dirty metal/steel. It's easily my favorite metallic paint.

If you get the airbrush version of it, it's already perfectly thinned for brush use.

Also, a lot of miniature work is small detail work, but you don't necessarily need small brushes. You can get a lot done with bigger brushes that have really small tips. My absolute favorite are my Winsor & Newton kolinsky sable brushes. You can get various sizes on ebay for really good prices.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Burnt iron is great. I used it as a base for 3 of my imperial knights.

What is the point of ink paints? Scale 75 has these inktensity paints but I'm not sure if I should buy any or not.

Pin washing or line paneling or whatever you want to call it

The sad thing about my brushes some did not make it though the years.

Hey, does anyone have any insights into painting copper?
    I'm doing up some Iron Golem for my sister and she wants their armour done in oxidised copper instead of the studio red scheme, I've got them primed with Boltgun Metal, and I'm thinking to start I wanna hit them with a brown wash coat or two, then a light drybrush of Hashut Copper, pick out any details with Stormhost Silver, then go back to start oxidising any suitable areas, has anyone got any better tips or ways of doing that?

Hey, does anyone have any insights into painting copper?
    I'm doing up some Iron Golem for my sister and she wants their armour done in oxidised copper instead of the studio red scheme, I've got them primed with Boltgun Metal, and I'm thinking to start I wanna hit them with a brown wash coat or two, then a light drybrush of Hashut Copper, pick out any details with Stormhost Silver, then go back to start oxidising any suitable areas, has anyone got any better tips or ways of doing that?

A brass in the harlequin book is
    Brass scorpion wash reikland fleshshadehightlight with sycorax bronze and a find highlight of runefang for a darker bronze start with warplock and do the previous

The Necron Overlord they did he got a bright copper on it's cape
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUaUTcWasMQ
    At about at 5.50 with Screaming Bell-Hasupt Copper-reikland as a recessed shade- edge highlight with runefang

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    last mini of 2019!

Vv2TlMB.png

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I picked up da Red Gobbo today. I'm excited to paint him up

Makes me want to do a full diorama

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    Koreg wrote: »
    I picked up da Red Gobbo today. I'm excited to paint him up

Makes me want to do a full diorama

I have seen people do snow globes

@McGibs

The carving fork hand is ironic and perfect... that's a fantastic mini.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Looks like the Robot is leaving GW at the end of the year. Duncan tweeted a confirmation.

honovere wrote: »
    Looks like the Robot is leaving GW at the end of the year. Duncan tweeted a confirmation.

Yea, one thick coat finally got to him.

edited December 2019
    I was asking previously about poured resin bases so I can make a swamp base... it was for this guy that I'm calling a work in progress. I think I'm done with paints though...

I've ordered resin so I can pour a swampy base for him with a space marine drowning or something...

I'm particularly happy with how gross his toenails are :lol:

jyvsgtvq90ye.jpg
    hk1czofjzguu.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited December 2019
    honovere wrote: »

I saw on Facebook they were looking for social media managers. So I am now curious.

Brainleech on
    So many fuck ups with these fucking chains.

cjmfwqac636h.jpeg
    2an2kp7keue7.jpeg
    6xcd7lulgmix.jpeg
    fsunotd2qqpb.jpeg

I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick up the Beastgrave set for Warhammer Underworlds, I have the previous two boxes and it's a fun game, but I don't really play enough to justify it, fortunately for me I wound up with a copy as a birthday/christmas gift, so the decision is taken out of my hands! Maybe I'll try and hit up some actual tournies/events with this new season rather than just playing at home (I am very excited for the Daughters of Khaine warband which we know is coming!) Here are the minis from the set all painted up and ready to go:

lv2bb5adzyhx.jpg
    fce3h2jr1yzq.jpg
    0eoyxepzph7r.jpg
    rm6t5jchncgi.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Do you guys have any recommendations for a good drybrush? I feel like my current options (a bunch of beat-up old brushes of various shapes) are getting in the way of some of my smaller-scale drybrush work, and would like something that can be a bit more targeted when working on something only 2" tall.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I've tried a bunch of artist grade brushes for drybrushing and I keep coming back to the Large/Med/Small games-workshop drybrushes as working the best for doing drybrushed edge highlights.

The only alternative I've found that works really well is Elf brand makeup brushes (Canadian brand I think... they're just very cheap makeup brushes). I've got a couple that are very small and round that do an amazing job on natural surfaces like daemon skin or animal fur. They're less effective for things like space marine armor or anything with a sharp edge, but for skin/flesh/hide they give an incredibly natural highlight (irony of ironies with them being makeup brushes). The only downside with them is they shed pigment very quickly compared to regular drybrushes so you have to dab and wipe them a lot more frequently, which can be annoying.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6