As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The Cold War game? I forget the name. Probably not suitable but it is a game that fuzes knkwlege of history and tactics and strategy.

Twilight Struggle?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yes. But it is two player.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Wits and Wagers is mostly trivia, but it might have enough of a strategy element to serve that audience.

Montage is a personal favorite for that niche, with the caveat that it is for exactly 4 players (two partnerships). It's a mashup of Password, Scrabble, and an area-control game.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Kwizniack is a trivia game that allows for a bit of strategy. There's also ... Geek Out! I think? Another trivia game, but this one has you bidding for how well you can answer.
    It's not a trivia game, but Food Fighters is light and tends to go over well with people who aren't particularly robust gamers.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I know I've been delayed in posting back, but I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I ended up going with Sushi Go Party, (most of the group has experience with drafting) Spyfall and a giant set of Jenga blocks.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I know I've been delayed in posting back, but I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I ended up going with Sushi Go Party, (most of the group has experience with drafting) Spyfall and a giant set of Jenga blocks.

Time to play drinking Jenga!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

If you play barefoot, it's a Bloodsport

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

If you play barefoot, it's a Bloodsport

That's creationary the Lego game
    The thing is years after I last played it I still look for one of the lego buckets that will enhance the game

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I got my girlfriend Pandemic: Rapid Response for Xmas, and we opened it early this weekend. It feels a LOT like the co-op video game Overcooked, but as a board game. You have recipes that you need to complete (Cities), stations to prepare the ingredients for those recipes (the separate cargo stations), and Poop to shovel dishes to wash (the recycling center), and finally you have to move and deliver the finished plates (the cargo bay). It's so tightly tuned and frantic that I'm not sure you could really add expansions to it and keep the game at the frenetic pace that it has.

We definitely call the Waste track as "the Poop track", and our vocabulary in the game is morphing just like in Overcooked into barked nonsensical orders. Instead of "Patty up!" or "Two dish go", you have "Poop minus 4", "Band-Aid go!", "Food go!". We've changed "Cargo Bay" into just "DUMP!". "Activate" is too many syllables, so we are trying to figure out a shorthand for that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Andrew Navarro is leaving FFG.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/12/27/andrew-navaro-designer-journal/

For the record, he took over in charge of FFG once Christian T Peterson stepped up to lead Asmodee North America. It's a bit surprising, IMO, but also understandable given how long he's worked for the company. But it's yet another sign of changing times over there. I am genuinely curious about who is going to lead the studio now, especially given Andrew's talk earlier in the year about how they are going to focus on more complete games and not just churning out expansion driven games.

... Aw man, now I'm sad I won't get a second AMA with him.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I got Villainous (the game where you play as a Disney villain) and one of its expansions, Evil Comes Prepared. They are pretty entertaining, especially if one (as I do) enjoy Disney animated movies.

So I've got Cpt. Hook (Peter Pan), Malificent (Sleeping Beauty), Jafar (Aladdin), Ursula (The Little Mermaid), Prince John (Robin Hood), Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland), Scar (The Lion King), Yzma (Emperor's New Groove) and Rattigan (The Great Mouse Detective).

I was particularly happy with Evil Comes Prepared, as Yzma and Rattigan are great villains from fantastic movies.

(There's a second expansion, Wicked to the Core with the Evil Queen (Snow White), Hades (Hercules), and Dr. Facilier (The Princess and the Frog), but one of the others in my board game club has it, so I'm not planning on getting it.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Incidentally, I am the best Disney villain in my board game club.

(I.e., I won the Christmas tournament. (As Dr. Facilier, if you're curious.))

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I bought a Dixit expansion, the cards fit in the original box, what do I do with the expansion box? It seems too nice to throw out but I don't really have any use for it. Any suggestions?

• nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I bought a Dixit expansion, the cards fit in the original box, what do I do with the expansion box? It seems too nice to throw out but I don't really have any use for it. Any suggestions?

I just used expansion boxes from three different games (Aeon’s End, Mistfall, and Eight-Minute Empire) to wrap oddly shaped Christmas gifts for my family. Might not be worth hanging on to it for a whole year unless there is a birthday coming up or something.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I use expansion boxes for my own prototypes. Generally speaking expansions come in very nice boxes that are easy to reuse if you don't care what's printed on a box (or can cover it up somehow).

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    One of the few games I did do on kickstarter Miskatonic's school for girls. did come in a proper box {it also came with a ton of glass counters {the green kind you do for displays of flowers or such} I did have issues with the replay of the game since it was rather limited and after a few hands you could guess what was going to happen

I kept the Horned Rat Exp in the Chaos in the old world box. I had misplaced the furniture for Hero Quest so while walking home I saw another copy for cheap {I really bought it for the furniture. but I kept the two exp I knew about {besides the elf and barbarian ones I still kick myself over not getting} in the original box in the extra I have a copy of Keller's Keep in it's box}

Generally I will try to keep the games with their pieces so I know they were together some of the other games like Hero Quest and Warhammer Quest I just keep in the original larger box the hero exp I kept them in their boxes [I only had two extra heroes}

Sometimes I will do a box within a box because they have tons of cards or counters just to keep track of them {those plastic hard card cases}

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    A lot of expansion boxes hold the base game plus the expansion, and are smaller than the base game box. Those are the best. Lords of Waterdeep, Quacks of Quedlinberg, Machi Koro, Quest For El Dorado are the ones that immediately come to mind but in sure there are plenty of others

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    If anyone feels like capitalizing on Walmart being fucking awful. They have Fog of Love on sale for 18 bucks.

Why are they awful on this occasion? Well, only the male/Male cover is on sale. The female/ Male cover is full price.

Fucks sake.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    If anyone feels like capitalizing on Walmart being fucking awful. They have Fog of Love on sale for 18 bucks.

Why are they awful on this occasion? Well, only the male/Male cover is on sale. The female/ Male cover is full price.

Fucks sake.

Is that awful, or is it great?

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    A giant corporation deciding that heterosexual cover art is worth more money?

I mean. It's not great, Bob

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    I'm going to guess the reason one is on sale and not the other is purely due to relative stock levels, which says more about their customer base than the Corp itself. You could also choose to interpret it as the Corp incentivizing people to buy the male/male cover because they want to get out the message that that's ok.

Also, notice that the female/female cover is sold out.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    A giant corporation deciding that heterosexual cover art is worth more money?

I mean. It's not great, Bob

I strongly suspect the reverse is true - they have an "excess" of the homosexual ones because the hetero ones moved, so they're dumping them.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    To be clear, it's still not great, and Walmart is still shit. All statements were factual, but the method to reach them was flawed. :P

Valid points all. Gut feeling + it's walmart made me go with first impression.

Still feels iffy. I just don't trust Walmart.

Cheers all!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

Cheers all!

I'm pretty sure that their algorithm and / or stock department deciding that guy / guy cover art on the box was worth a 55% discount over the other options in an effort to respond to their customers' homophobia is an equally-disreputable look.

The scary possibility is that there was never any human intervention on their end and it got knocked down by a computer based on entries in their database because the various covers were tracked differently.

E: Math is hard, but the point remains.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Cheers all!

I'm pretty sure that their algorithm and / or stock department deciding that guy / guy cover art on the box was worth a 55% discount over the other options in an effort to respond to their customers' homophobia is an equally-disreputable look.

The scary possibility is that there was never any human intervention on their end and it got knocked down by a computer based on entries in their database because the various covers were tracked differently.

E: Math is hard, but the point remains.

As a publisher I'd probably want to track different covers individually, seems like useful data to have. I would not be shocked if there were no humans involved in any of the decision making for that cover getting a discount.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Uh, not to kibash any pet conspiracy theories...but Walmart has had Fog of Love on sale a lot recently.
    A few weeks ago the F/M cover was super cheap, and the M/M or F/F were like $20 more. Now it's just a different cover being cheaper.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Uh, not to kibash any pet conspiracy theories...but Walmart has had Fog of Love on sale a lot recently.
    A few weeks ago the F/M cover was super cheap, and the M/M or F/F were like $20 more. Now it's just a different cover being cheaper.

Good info! Thank you.

I apologize for jumping to a conclusion. Guess my faith in anyone is just flatlined

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    If one were looking for a fairly simple DMless dungeon crawl, with co-op mode being at least potential, what should one be checking out?

Arcadia Quest seems a pretty good fit for what I’m imagining. Something like Descent with its exhaustion mechanics and strict time limits is above the desired complexity/difficulty threshold. Think more Heroquest.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    If one were looking for a fairly simple DMless dungeon crawl, with co-op mode being at least potential, what should one be checking out?

Arcadia Quest seems a pretty good fit for what I’m imagining. Something like Descent with its exhaustion mechanics and strict time limits is above the desired complexity/difficulty threshold. Think more Heroquest.

My kids and I have enjoyed the Dungeon and Dragons Adventure board game series. They're pretty simple explore/kill the monsters/boss fight games. We've only played Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon, but there are six games in the series, all of them with 7+ ratings on BoardGameGeek. And they're all compatible with one another, so you can swap out characters and monsters across the games.

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
    Yea the D&D games sound like what you're describing

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I haven't played Arcadia Quest, but Massive Darkness from the same company would be worth looking at.

Mice and Mystics is pretty solid as far as light dungeon-crawling as well.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Happy New year's! I've got stats!

hngpr16kvixy.jpg

sullijo wrote: »

My kids and I have enjoyed the Dungeon and Dragons Adventure board game series. They're pretty simple explore/kill the monsters/boss fight games. We've only played Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon, but there are six games in the series, all of them with 7+ ratings on BoardGameGeek. And they're all compatible with one another, so you can swap out characters and monsters across the games.

I do like how you can take Drzzit on a misadventure. He doesn't last long on Wrath it seems
    But I found they made the Mad mage, temple of elemental evil and tomb of annihilation so I do plan on getting these but I need to find a better system to store my games other than a pile and ontop of the bookcases. It helped to break that bookcase

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

You might also want to check into Dungeon Saga from Mantic Games, if you can go for their stuff. It had a dm-less mode I believe.

Looks like the core rules are free.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
    Warhammer Quest if you can find it is that. But it's not Blackstone Fortress which still is a dungeon crawl but it does ramp up the difficulty in various ways [the dice rolls, the cards you pull, event cards{ As well as ad ons

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

hngpr16kvixy.jpg

wtf? you people actually play your games?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Ah_Pook wrote: »

hngpr16kvixy.jpg

wtf? you people actually play your games?

I don't know what that's like; just the burning sensation that comes from my wallet and the shrinking of space for which to store my treasures.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
      First game night of the New Year!

Session 1 of Aeon’s End: Legacy with my wife. She picked the blue mage; I picked the green mage.

We won, but it literally came down to the last turn. If the final shuffle of the turn order cards had gone differently, we’d’ve been blown up at least twice over.

Really happy to get this one to the table; I’ve been looking forward to it since I got the Kickstarter. The neoprene playmat I sprung a little extra for was a huge usability improvement.

Following some advice I’d read (elsewhere?), we’re implementing the new rules and upgrades for all of the mages each time. That way we’ll end up with 4 characters for Aeon’s End when we’re done and we can swap if we want a bit of a change mid-campaign.